• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Spezzy gets it done

Hai nerds! 

First, I'm on wifi in the sky so I apologize for the lack of gifs.

Summary of this year for me:

• I got a pretty bad edema on my ulna where it connects to my wrist (swelling in the outside of my right wrist, basically). I spent 2 months in a wrist brace letting it heal but still training, primarily using the safety squat bar and staying under 70% across the board on all of my lifts to allow the swelling to go down. 
  • After 2 months, the general consensus from multiple doctors is that I'm good to lift again, but my wrist is likely never going to be 100%, due to a fracture 3 years ago. There are issues where some of the blood supply to the bones got cut off, so it's just - not right in there. So while I'm out of the brace, my wrist is going to be forever not perfect and easy to irritate. 
  • I originally thought I'd take the time when I was in the wrist brace to focus on hypertrophy and diet, but honestly, what I needed was to slow down.
  • So I ended up taking the last 2 months, and I stopped doing a lot of the things I normally do:
    • I put my scale in my closet and didn't allow myself to weigh myself
    • I stopped counting calories and macros
    • I stopped having an exact plan in the gym and did what felt good that day. I did a lot of sets of 3-5x8-10. Everything was pretty much under 70-75% of 1RM. If I felt more like walking, I walked.
  • Work (Nerd Fitness) has been crazy this year, with a lot of things changing, and more changes coming (that I am thrilled about and can share soon, I promise) 
  • Personally, I needed to put some serious attention into areas of my life that have taken the back seat lately, so I decided to let my workouts and diet run on auto pilot in the background so I could focus on what's really important, which was needed, and I'm crazy insanely happy. 
  • I feel like I can finally focus again, which is something I've been struggling with the last few challenges.

This is going to be a big challenge for me, but I'm ready.

For goals this time, I'm splitting into four sections: Diet and Fitness, Mental Health, Professional, Personal

DIET AND FITNESS

1) POWERLIFTING

I still want to get that 1,000 powerlifting total in 2017, and I just got back from a hugely inspirational powerlifting meet (lets just say the woman who came in 5th place had a 599 wilks) and I am so incredibly inspired by these women and excited to a level that I haven't been about powerlifting in a long time. But, with that, I need to remember that when I do nothing BUT PL and ignore the other things I enjoy, I burn out, so I need to be able to fit them in. 

Now that I can use my wrist again, I'd like to start building strength again. After I finish posting this, I'll write my program for the next 9 weeks, which will include conditioning and mobility work. 

it's going to be a powerlifting focus, with gymnastics and yoga secondary. 

My job for this goal is to follow the plan. I'm not going to say 20 minutes of conditioning and 20 minutes of mobility or anything like that - I need to do what's on the plan for that day.

2) AUTO IMMUNE PALEO(ISH) / LOG FOOD

Last challenge, switching back to an auto immune protocol seemed to really help a lot, so I'm going to keep that up, only as a part of this I want to log everything. Logging will be less for me and more to have better data. I haven't been logging, but just sticking with auto immune paleo and eating like normal resulted in a leaner spezzy than I've seen in a long time:

so my body seemed to really respond to that. So, goal is to keep that up.

3) FOOD BUDGET

I got CLOSER last month but am not there. Stick to my food budget.

MENTAL HEALTH

I've been focusing a lot on mental health the last 6 months and it's been incredibly helpful with my overall well being. 

This challenge, I want to establish three things:

1) Morning Routine

2) Nightly Routine

3) General Schedule

I think both of these will help me with stress and sleeping. Meditation will be a part of at least one, though I need to decide which one. 

General schedule will help me with work and gym and routine. This should be easier in the next few weeks as a lot of my every day life will change in the next 2 weeks. So, as things change, getting into a good routine and schedule is key.

PERSONAL / PROFESSIONAL

Two things here.

1) Get my personal website up and running. It doesn't need to be fancy, but it does need to be functional and not look like total crap.

2) I'm studying for my CSCS and my Precision Nutrition L1 certs. CSCS is going to be first, and I'd like to speed it up, so I need to put at least 3 study sessions per week in.  

And thats it! Time to work on my programming :)

• Like 16

16 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following again. I'm very happy for you that things are going well enough to be able to focus on PL again. And since you can't gif right now, I suggest we all donate some gifs so Spezzy's thread isn't gifless.

Image result for doggy gifs

Image result for dog gifs adorable

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

What's the difference between autoimmune paleo and regular paleo?

And damn girl,  you're freakin' ripped!

regular paleo is basically meat and veg/fruit - mostly unprocessed stuff.

AIP takes it another level by taking out some other stuff that's known to poke holes in the immune system of susceptible folks - stuff like eggs, some spices, the nightshade varieties of vegetables (tomatoes, peppers etc). It basically takes out every known problem in an attempt to let the immune system calm down. Most people then add stuff back in slowly until they find their specific culprit.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following again. I'm very happy for you that things are going well enough to be able to focus on PL again. And since you can't gif right now, I suggest we all donate some gifs so Spezzy's thread isn't gifless.

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

hahaha these are the best

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

Silent stalker checking in for yet another challenge...

hiiiiii

1 hour ago, elvenengineer said:

Image result for cat gif

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Curl Brogo said:

What's the difference between autoimmune paleo and regular paleo?

And damn girl,  you're freakin' ripped!

thank you!!

52 minutes ago, Blocky said:

regular paleo is basically meat and veg/fruit - mostly unprocessed stuff.

AIP takes it another level by taking out some other stuff that's known to poke holes in the immune system of susceptible folks - stuff like eggs, some spices, the nightshade varieties of vegetables (tomatoes, peppers etc). It basically takes out every known problem in an attempt to let the immune system calm down. Most people then add stuff back in slowly until they find their specific culprit.

yes, basically this. 

traditionally AIP is:

The-Paleo-MOm-Paleo-AIP-NO-foods.jpg

However, after doing the full AIP and reintroducing slowly, I know I can have dairy, eggs, coffee, and spices derived from seeds (in small amounts).

I'm still trying to figure out nuts and seeds. It seems that too many of them realllly affects me poorly, 

12 minutes ago, mightstone2k said:

Following to look at pet gifs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiiii

• Like 2

Mrs Blocky and myself are going back to AIP for a stint - not because we're sick but mostly because we had the best and most effortless weightloss (while having good energy and being productive) while on it.

6 minutes ago, Blocky said:

Mrs Blocky and myself are going back to AIP for a stint - not because we're sick but mostly because we had the best and most effortless weightloss (while having good energy and being productive) while on it.

I feel a lot better on it. I was super lenient about my diet over the last few days because I was travelling and my body is PISSED. Not worth it.

• Like 1

Just now, spezzy said:

I feel a lot better on it. I was super lenient about my diet over the last few days because I was travelling and my body is PISSED. Not worth it.

well the trip was worth it. the non aip food was not :P

• Like 3

I'm finally starting out with regular paleo right now.  I'm only in a week or so and I've dropped 8 pounds. With my old diet I'd be Jonesin' for some pancakes, but right now I'm not even phased by the calorie deficit. 

I also cut out all caffeine the month prior and have felt really ambivalent about going back to regularly drinking coffee. 

I was initially going to try whole 30, but realized I can't afford it 100% right now. But, maybe down the road. AIP might be another thing to try if I stall. 

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Following ^_^ I see puppy gifs are the required tax, so~

x4YPrpt.gif

tumblr_n15ej4b5501rm1oato8_500.gif

giphy.gif

No puppy, you can't have peanut butter, didn't you read the infograph?!

6360180899768535961043058982_funny-gif-p

That's better.

• Like 5

I feel you on the food budget thing. I'm sort of considering starting to get two weeks worth of groceries at once. That gets tricky with veg freshness. I'm trying it out right now but already realized I forgot one thing. It seems like the more I go the more extra I spend. 

I've worked on cutting out "fancy" recipe ingredients and making substitutions when possible. That seems to help a lot. That and buying meat on sale and freezing it, but I'm sure you already do that. 

17 hours ago, spezzy said:

Summary of this year for me:

• I got a pretty bad edema on my ulna where it connects to my wrist (swelling in the outside of my right wrist, basically). I spent 2 months in a wrist brace letting it heal but still training, primarily using the safety squat bar and staying under 70% across the board on all of my lifts to allow the swelling to go down. 
  • After 2 months, the general consensus from multiple doctors is that I'm good to lift again, but my wrist is likely never going to be 100%, due to a fracture 3 years ago. There are issues where some of the blood supply to the bones got cut off, so it's just - not right in there. So while I'm out of the brace, my wrist is going to be forever not perfect and easy to irritate. 
  • I originally thought I'd take the time when I was in the wrist brace to focus on hypertrophy and diet, but honestly, what I needed was to slow down.
  • So I ended up taking the last 2 months, and I stopped doing a lot of the things I normally do:
    • I put my scale in my closet and didn't allow myself to weigh myself
    • I stopped counting calories and macros
    • I stopped having an exact plan in the gym and did what felt good that day. I did a lot of sets of 3-5x8-10. Everything was pretty much under 70-75% of 1RM. If I felt more like walking, I walked.
  • Work (Nerd Fitness) has been crazy this year, with a lot of things changing, and more changes coming (that I am thrilled about and can share soon, I promise) 
  • Personally, I needed to put some serious attention into areas of my life that have taken the back seat lately, so I decided to let my workouts and diet run on auto pilot in the background so I could focus on what's really important, which was needed, and I'm crazy insanely happy. 
  • I feel like I can finally focus again, which is something I've been struggling with the last few challenges.

hiiiiiiiii

<3<3<3

All good news. Except for the wrist thing, is not excellent news, but is not bad news. 

UGHHHH I want to know what is coming soon!

2) AUTO IMMUNE PALEO(ISH) / LOG FOOD

Last challenge, switching back to an auto immune protocol seemed to really help a lot, so I'm going to keep that up, only as a part of this I want to log everything. Logging will be less for me and more to have better data. I haven't been logging, but just sticking with auto immune paleo and eating like normal resulted in a leaner spezzy than I've seen in a long time:

so my body seemed to really respond to that. So, goal is to keep that up.

I think I missed this post but it is the best. You look incredible and the message is awesome.

General schedule will help me with work and gym and routine. This should be easier in the next few weeks as a lot of my every day life will change in the next 2 weeks. So, as things change, getting into a good routine and schedule is key.

Spoilers? I want spoilers.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Dagger said:

Following along for inspiration!

tumblr_ng328esOSx1te5ruso1_500.gif

Orange_Sunglasses.jpg

13 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

I'm finally starting out with regular paleo right now.  I'm only in a week or so and I've dropped 8 pounds. With my old diet I'd be Jonesin' for some pancakes, but right now I'm not even phased by the calorie deficit. 

I also cut out all caffeine the month prior and have felt really ambivalent about going back to regularly drinking coffee. 

I was initially going to try whole 30, but realized I can't afford it 100% right now. But, maybe down the road. AIP might be another thing to try if I stall. 

Thanks for sharing.

Paleo I find pretty easy over all. 

I don't think AIPaleo is necessary or even necessarily a good thing unless you need it for an auto immune disorder. It's SO restrictive (for example, I can't have tomato on it) that mentally it's that much tougher. 

Same with Whole 30 - I like a lot of elements of it, but it's difficult financially and mentally, though it's easier to do a whole 30 if you already have done paleo before.

Cutting caffeine is something I'm working on doing slowly, but I'm not there yet. 

12 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

Following ^_^ I see puppy gifs are the required tax, so~

x4YPrpt.gif

tumblr_n15ej4b5501rm1oato8_500.gif

giphy.gif

No puppy, you can't have peanut butter, didn't you read the infograph?!

6360180899768535961043058982_funny-gif-p

That's better.

hahaha my dog actually prefers broccoli. begs me for it. it's her favorite.

9 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I feel you on the food budget thing. I'm sort of considering starting to get two weeks worth of groceries at once. That gets tricky with veg freshness. I'm trying it out right now but already realized I forgot one thing. It seems like the more I go the more extra I spend. 

I've worked on cutting out "fancy" recipe ingredients and making substitutions when possible. That seems to help a lot. That and buying meat on sale and freezing it, but I'm sure you already do that. 

I'm considering that. I know I have a few things that are the downfall of me (sushi at the grocery store, for example). I'm not a fan of freezing things - which I need to get over. Or maybe I need to get one of those vacuum sealer things that will help preserve a bit better. I just get squirrley about most things for some reason. Chicken sausage and pre-packaged things I'm fine with though.

I also cut out fancy recipe ingredients and haven't noticed a difference, but my diet was pretty plain to start.

9 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

200.gif

hahahah this is the best

7 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

hiiiiiiiii

<3<3<3

All good news. Except for the wrist thing, is not excellent news, but is not bad news. 

UGHHHH I want to know what is coming soon!

I think I missed this post but it is the best. You look incredible and the message is awesome.

Spoilers? I want spoilers.

THANK YOU!! I was surprised at how much my body responded mentally to just... less stress. Huge help.

6 hours ago, brutalbears said:

This challenge seems like it is going to be good...

giphy.gif

I HOPE SO

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

Can't wait for the next episode of the Adventures of spezzy.

giphy.gif

• Like 9

Hey... out of interest (because I have never actually read anything about whole30) what are the differences between whole30 and paleo? In my head, I've kinda assumed they were the same thing.