• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Spezzy gets it done

Well. I'm sore AF today after my "light" workout yesterday :P

Yesterday's workout.

Squat: 205x5

190 for 8 sets of 5 at 8.

For these, i was supposed to keep doing 5's until I hit an 8RPE. I never really hit that RPE, so I kept going, and decided he wouldn't want me doing more than 8 sets. He said in the future, I should do the backoff sets for no more than 25 minutes.

Incline Bench Press:

105 for 4 sets of 3, 85 for 4 sets of 3.

On these, I was using my triceps too much, so filmed, got some feedback, and I lowered the weight to use my pecs more.

Glute Ham Raise:

10 sets of 3

Hamstring Curl:

3 sets of 10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

hahaha that koala is the best! let me know what you find helpful for yours! I'm still trying to figure out mine, and I think I need to start with not checking my phone first thing before I get out of bed :\

That is absolutely part of it. Here's what I learned from my last challenge and what I will continue to work on for this one:

• Make sure you go to bed early enough, and don't try to change your sleep patterns too quickly. If you want to get up earlier, shift things 15-30 minutes at a time. Overhauling your sleep did not work well for me and set me up for failure. I am more of a lark kind of person that needs 8-9 hours. If you are more of a night owl, some of the things I list below may work better in the evening. It just depends on how your energy works. I know that by the time I am done with work, I just want to relax. 
  • Get an 'old school' alarm clock. That way you can keep your phone away from your bed and you don't have to touch it when you are waking up.
  • Do the most important things first. To do this, I have to make sure my computer is OFF the night before so I'm not tempted to check first thing. I also have a strange relationship with NPR where I feel like I need to turn it on first thing. Also a distraction. Here is my own personal order of things:
    • Light breakfast snack and tea/coffee (usually a hard boiled egg.) I am always hungry first thing in the morning.
    • Take the dog out for a quick walk.
    • On M/W/F I head to the gym for 90 minutes or so.
    • After workout (M/W/F) or walking the dog (T/Th) I sit down at my desk (without phone/computer) and write for 15 minutes. I practice a stream of consciousness writing to help me check in with how I am feeling. It keeps me from doubting/editing myself since the only rule is to keep my hand moving for 15 minutes. 
      • At the end of the month, I go back and scan these journal entries for anything interesting that I may want to explore further or could be an indicator of something I need to work with.
    • Then I do a short meditation (5-6 minutes.) Even if i'm not 'dong it right', the practice of quieting my mind and consciously realizing when I am getting lost in thought is a great centering exercise and helpful for managing anxiety.
    • On T/Th (non-lift days) I write for 90 minutes or so for my blog or other creative projects. I would insert any hobby that is important to you here and prioritize it before anything else you have to do (email, social media, news, etc.)
  • The hardest realization I had to accept was that things can wait. I pride myself on being the kind of person that gets shit done right away. Things can wait an hour or two before taking your attention. Most things are not emergencies, and if something urgent did come up, you can handle it better by being centered and tackling it from a place of clarity. 

giphy.gif

• Like 5

21 hours ago, MaylaKae said:

That is absolutely part of it. Here's what I learned from my last challenge and what I will continue to work on for this one:

• Make sure you go to bed early enough, and don't try to change your sleep patterns too quickly. If you want to get up earlier, shift things 15-30 minutes at a time. Overhauling your sleep did not work well for me and set me up for failure. I am more of a lark kind of person that needs 8-9 hours. If you are more of a night owl, some of the things I list below may work better in the evening. It just depends on how your energy works. I know that by the time I am done with work, I just want to relax. 
  • Get an 'old school' alarm clock. That way you can keep your phone away from your bed and you don't have to touch it when you are waking up.
  • Do the most important things first. To do this, I have to make sure my computer is OFF the night before so I'm not tempted to check first thing. I also have a strange relationship with NPR where I feel like I need to turn it on first thing. Also a distraction. Here is my own personal order of things:
    • Light breakfast snack and tea/coffee (usually a hard boiled egg.) I am always hungry first thing in the morning.
    • After workout (M/W/F) or walking the dog (T/Th) I sit down at my desk (without phone/computer) and write for 15 minutes. I practice a stream of consciousness writing to help me check in with how I am feeling. It keeps me from doubting/editing myself since the only rule is to keep my hand moving for 15 minutes. 
      • At the end of the month, I go back and scan these journal entries for anything interesting that I may want to explore further or could be an indicator of something I need to work with.
    • Then I do a short meditation (5-6 minutes.) Even if i'm not 'dong it right', the practice of quieting my mind and consciously realizing when I am getting lost in thought is a great centering exercise and helpful for managing anxiety.
    • On T/Th (non-lift days) I write for 90 minutes or so for my blog or other creative projects. I would insert any hobby that is important to you here and prioritize it before anything else you have to do (email, social media, news, etc.)
  • The hardest realization I had to accept was that things can wait. I pride myself on being the kind of person that gets shit done right away. Things can wait an hour or two before taking your attention. Most things are not emergencies, and if something urgent did come up, you can handle it better by being centered and tackling it from a place of clarity. 

giphy.gif

*takes notes for challenge where I'm trying to build morning/evening routines*

Thanks so much for sharing, this is super helpful. (I'm not spezzy but I'll steal with pride anyway)

I love that gif :D

• Like 1

22 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

*takes notes for challenge where I'm trying to build morning/evening routines*

Thanks so much for sharing, this is super helpful. (I'm not spezzy but I'll steal with pride anyway)

I love that gif :D

I am so glad it helps! I look forward to seeing your morning/evening routines. It is always trial and error, but one of the best things I've done for myself.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

On 4/23/2017 at 0:28 PM, MaylaKae said:

THANK YOU for writing all of this out :) I've been having a lot less insomnia troubles which is helpful. But going to bed early enough is my biggest struggle. I've been able to be in bed by midnight every night since I got back from vacation, so hoping to keep that up at least. That gets me up by 8-8:30, which is reasonable, but I definitely think a walk with the dog first thing would be helpful, but I need to get up earlier to do that. Right now I can sit outside with her and drink coffee and throw the ball, but historically my depression is less when I walk first thing in the morning, so I should be doing this.

I have one of those sunrise alarm clocks and have been using that, though still leaving my phone in the room at night, which I need to stop. 

I think that realization that things can wait is huge and something I need to realize. I think one of the biggest reasons I struggle is that the majority of the nerd fitness team are early bird eastern time zoners - so they get up at 6am their time, and by the time I get up and start work by 9, they've already been working for 4 hours D:

• Like 5

Alright, day 2 and 3 of new program are done and I've got week 2 programming in hand :D

sunday I did:

Bench Press: 145x5, 135x7x5 (7 sets of 5). For this, when I saw the program, I thought it was going to be ridiculously light, but I was thankful because I had done incline bench the day before.

Dips: 9,8.7.6 (accumulate 30)

tricep pushdown: 50 reps

today I did:

squat with wraps (for the first time!)

225x2

245x1

265x1

285x1 (PR!!!!)

then dumbbell overhead press and reverse hyper.

Non lifting wise, I bought 10lb of boneless skinless chicken thighs over the weekend at 1.19/lb so that should help my food budget. I've been consistently logging food and not hitting snooze in the morning more than 2x, so that's a huge improvement on that!

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, spezzy said:

THANK YOU for writing all of this out :) I've been having a lot less insomnia troubles which is helpful. But going to bed early enough is my biggest struggle. I've been able to be in bed by midnight every night since I got back from vacation, so hoping to keep that up at least. That gets me up by 8-8:30, which is reasonable, but I definitely think a walk with the dog first thing would be helpful, but I need to get up earlier to do that. Right now I can sit outside with her and drink coffee and throw the ball, but historically my depression is less when I walk first thing in the morning, so I should be doing this.

I have one of those sunrise alarm clocks and have been using that, though still leaving my phone in the room at night, which I need to stop. 

I think that realization that things can wait is huge and something I need to realize. I think one of the biggest reasons I struggle is that the majority of the nerd fitness team are early bird eastern time zoners - so they get up at 6am their time, and by the time I get up and start work by 9, they've already been working for 4 hours D:

It seems like you are well on your way to getting up earlier. I also work in a different time zone than my company (I'm on Central, they're on Eastern), and I feel that pressure, too. We also don't have a lot of remote people, so I think some of my colleagues think I chill in my jammies all day. (And so what if I did?! As long as I get the work done, right?)

It can be hard when work culture doesn't match with your needs. However, I have gotten a lot of things cleared up simply by asking. I kept getting invitations for 7:30am meetings. I assumed I couldn't ask for them to be later, but I finally got so overwhelmed and asked. They hadn't even considered the time difference and changed the meeting with no problems. Even if their day doesn't match with yours, you have a few hours of overlap for meetings etc. That time you're still working when they sign off can be a the best time to get things done without interruptions.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Blocky said:

Yay... wraps!

I'm really excited about this. I think, even though they're a lot of extra work, they might be how I compete moving forward. There are a lot of local RPS meets which is NAKED knees or WRAPPED knees (no sleeves). If you want to compete in sleeves, you compete against wrapped, so I might as well be in wraps, right?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Congrats on that squat PR! I'm glad to hear too the insomnia has gotten better.

Thank you! It's better but still not... solved. It tends to go in waves. I'm hoping I can stay consistent and keep up with the sleeping. Some nights are better than others, but definitely a trend in the right direction!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I think it's super cool that Ben is doing a program for you :)

That squat looked soooooooo easy. 300 is right around the corner, seriously.

Thank you!!! I actually think that I can do 300 now, which I didn't have the confidence to do before, so there's that! I also think that even if I don't compete in wraps (I likely will), that it will be some really good overload work to get me more confident with that weight on my back!

Ben and I have talked about having him do my programming before, but I'm really stubborn and like doing all the things, so we've decided it's better if he didn't in the past (because that's just a recipe for disaster if he's programming for me and I'm not listening). But for this time, we went over my goals (1000lb total and 10 strict muscle ups in a row) and he programmed based on those two goals. So it'll allow me to still do some of my gymnastics stuff (or at least work towards the strength for that!) in addition to my powerlifting. 

• Like 6

GUYS. It's officially out in the open so I can talk about it here.

I'm officially coaching full time at Nerd Fitness now. I've wanted to do this for YEARS. We launched the application for my women's group coaching this morning (Academy members get first dibs on the spots, so the announcement just went to them). 

I can't even start to describe how excited I am about this, so here:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Aaaaaaand schedule wise, this is the perfect time to reset and why I put this as a part of this challenge. I'm no longer going to have 8am and 8pm meetings (from east coast and west coast teammates) so that should help a lot :)

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, spezzy said:

I'm officially coaching full time at Nerd Fitness now. We launched the application for my women's group coaching this morning (Academy members get first dibs on the spots, so the announcement just went to them). 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Aaaaaaand schedule wise, this is the perfect time to reset and why I put this as a part of this challenge. I'm no longer going to have 8am and 8pm meetings (from east coast and west coast teammates) so that should help a lot :)

YESSS!! Would it possibly open up to non-academy ladies in the future? I would absolutely sign up for this. So happy for your new adventure and that you got more flexibility from the team re: meeting times. :-) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, spezzy said:

I'm officially coaching full time at Nerd Fitness now. I've wanted to do this for YEARS. We launched the application for my women's group coaching this morning (Academy members get first dibs on the spots, so the announcement just went to them). 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

WAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! That is exciting news, so happy for you :D

Like personal training type of coaching? Nutrition? Mindset? Programming? All of the above?!?!? I need MOAR DETAILS!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MaylaKae said:

YESSS!! Would it possibly open up to non-academy ladies in the future? I would absolutely sign up for this. So happy for your new adventure and that you got more flexibility from the team re: meeting times. :-) 

Hopefully! We're starting out small to make sure to do it right. I'll let you know when that happens for sure, would love to have you!

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

WAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! That is exciting news, so happy for you :D

Like personal training type of coaching? Nutrition? Mindset? Programming? All of the above?!?!? I need MOAR DETAILS!!!

It's going to be all of the above. I've been calling it a hybrid 1:1/group coaching thing because I'll still be goal setting / personalizing programs / nutrition / checking in 1 on 1 with people, but we'll also have a group aspect. The 1 on 1 isn't as 1 on 1 as strict 1 on 1 coaching (so it's not like, you can text me while you're at a restaurant and are unsure of what to eat, but i'll watch the workouts/nutrition as they get logged and check in every few days or weekly).

The group is in Facebook but I'll be doing lots of teaching and accountability and quests in there. 

So basically, the idea is that it's the best parts of the 1:1 training with a community and educational aspect added. My goal is to make it so that I'm teaching enough so that the members don't NEED to stay forever (teach them to fish!), but that some will find it valuable enough to stay longer term. We'll talk about topics from ALL of the categories. 

I am so. excited.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, spezzy said:

Thank you!!! I actually think that I can do 300 now, which I didn't have the confidence to do before, so there's that! I also think that even if I don't compete in wraps (I likely will), that it will be some really good overload work to get me more confident with that weight on my back!

This is often overlooked in the raw community but it is soooo valuable. Especially if you have a mental barrier to break: for me it was 400lbs... I could do 395 pretty well but could never do 400, so I used a single ply suit and got comfortable with 425 on my back and then 400 was no longer a big thing.

• Like 4

So. Much. Winning. Congrats on your dialing in your lifestyle, getting a new coaching role (!) that helps your lifestyle work for you, not to mention the squat PR. Good grief, you should be so proud of yourself because wow is that awesome. 

• Like 1

Yay, coaching! I saw that email yesterday and cheered in my seat. You are going to absolutely kill it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, spezzy said:

Hopefully! We're starting out small to make sure to do it right. I'll let you know when that happens for sure, would love to have you!

It's going to be all of the above. I've been calling it a hybrid 1:1/group coaching thing because I'll still be goal setting / personalizing programs / nutrition / checking in 1 on 1 with people, but we'll also have a group aspect. The 1 on 1 isn't as 1 on 1 as strict 1 on 1 coaching (so it's not like, you can text me while you're at a restaurant and are unsure of what to eat, but i'll watch the workouts/nutrition as they get logged and check in every few days or weekly).

The group is in Facebook but I'll be doing lots of teaching and accountability and quests in there. 

So basically, the idea is that it's the best parts of the 1:1 training with a community and educational aspect added. My goal is to make it so that I'm teaching enough so that the members don't NEED to stay forever (teach them to fish!), but that some will find it valuable enough to stay longer term. We'll talk about topics from ALL of the categories. 

I am so. excited.

Nice!!! Sounds a lot like the one that I am in for UStrong :)

15 hours ago, Blocky said:

This is often overlooked in the raw community but it is soooo valuable. Especially if you have a mental barrier to break: for me it was 400lbs... I could do 395 pretty well but could never do 400, so I used a single ply suit and got comfortable with 425 on my back and then 400 was no longer a big thing.

I don't think it's overlooked, I think raw people just don't want to spend the money on equipment they won't use in competition.

Although there are other feasible ways to do overload work.

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

Nice!!! Sounds a lot like the one that I am in for UStrong :)

I don't think it's overlooked, I think raw people just don't want to spend the money on equipment they won't use in competition.

Although there are other feasible ways to do overload work.

UStrong is the one with JVB and Sinkler, right? I like them.

And agreed on the overload thing. It's also a PITA to set up a lot of overload work (like reverse bands, for example). 

My problem is that I'd have to squat completely different in a suit than I'd squat raw, so form would be completely different. My raw squat form actually works really well for the wrapped variation, so I think the learning curve will be a bit less than for some other pieces of equipment.

Heavy ass negatives are a good way to do overload without any gear.

• Like 2