DJ Trippy T: Becoming Bohdi, Part 2

DJtrippyT

large.200_s.gif.c8c915819d703247a6756a8dd8370b06.gif

Part two of my extra-special Bodhi challenge, which is just like my first one but with yet more duuuuuuuude and an extra dose of West Coast. If you missed it you can read the backstory on it here, as I am just that lazy and I have two more episodes of Planet Earth II to watch. 

Fuck. This show was so good I lived in front of my television for a week. I even have the score on my phone. What a nerd.

Challenge!

Goal 1: Get to the Spiritual Side of it:

Two challenges ago I started doing meditation and Wim Hof breathing exercises, preferably in the morning, either combined with or alternating with yoga. By the end of last challenge I got pretty good at it. I probably won't win any prizes, if there is even such a thing for meditation, but I find it helps me with anxiety and so I shall keep it up this challenge.

I couldn't find any photos of Bohdi meditating so this photo of Patrick Swayze concentrating very hard on something just out of frame will have to do. He's so shiny.

large.2C1ED7C800000578-0-image-a-5_1441821563026.jpg.cd5b244fc83609ee19cf386d4e12bad3.jpg

Goal 2: Get that Surf Body:

Arrrrgh. This went... a little off the rails last challenge and I've gained back about 6 pounds. I just weighed myself yesterday and shark week is bearing down on me like a train, so some of that may be water, but mostly it's that my TIR* is just way too high, so I have to keep an eye on that.

With that said, I have made some serious gains in the gym in the last 3 weeks - my thrusters (WHY are all crossfit moves so suggestive?) are now at 70 pounds for sets of 10; I'm still at 85 pounds with my (ahem) snatch, but I can now do a 65 pound snatch/overhead press combo, and I logged 99 miles on my bike last week (39 of which were a very hilly event ride that went really well; I did 39 miles in three hours 12 minutes, which considering the hilly course was great). So some of that weight may be gains. One can hope ;-)

I have also discovered that I cannot do two workouts a day if I want to get anything else in my life done, because all I want to do between workouts is sleep.

Goal 3: Traveling on the money, going where the waves are:

From Bohdi 1: 

"I had plans for an ambitious cross country road trip this spring, but I changed my mind, and now I think I am going to go to Belize to go snorkeling, because it will be cheaper and shorter (like a week instead of a month) and I found out that there's a chance to see whale sharks there, which I'm kind of obsessed with. So goal #3 is to save up the money for that trip, even if it means selling everything I own that's not bicycle-related or my cat."

Ha! I am nothing if not changeable, because I have revised that travel plan AGAIN. 

large.tumblr_mze1x4pr4G1sabwaso2_500.gif.8e8dd02336dcc3ffb05e96723e8b58ac.gif

There were a ton of weird moving parts to the Belize trip, and it turned out I did NOT have enough flyer miles and would have to buy about $200 worth of miles, and I had to hit a certain time window to catch the migration of the whale sharks, and at a certain point I just said fuck it and I took a section of my original, epically over-ambitious road trip idea, and built a trip around that. So I'm going to California!

large.big-sur-pfeiffer-sp.jpg.d2c9c3690e3ae373e8f983c227e963db.jpg

This is not my photo, as I've only been to California once and that was to San Francisco for a week, so I didn't actually see anything outside the city. So I cashed in ALL my frequent flier miles today and got a ticket to Los Angeles for eleven dollars, and I'm going to Redwoods, Yosemite, Big Sur and the Channel Islands for 12 days. VERY excited.

I cranked my ebay side business up again and over the last week and a half I made about $200 to put towards the trip, which is amazing ( I had some old hard drives left over from projects that made up about 80% of that money when I sold them) and I'm hoping I can make at least that much again from other stuff before I go. Between that, the flyer miles, a bunch of hotel points, and an air bnb gift certificate I got for christmas I'm hoping to cover at least half the trip expenses.

I generally travel solo, and I had priced out this trip for a solo traveler, and the other night my boyfriend suddenly announced that he wants to go and kind of invited himself along. Which is... weird, because we've been up and down a lot lately (the new, slightly more assertive DJTrippy is not appreciated in all quarters, as @Tanktimus the Encourager astutely predicted) and he generally doesn't like traveling. So it's nice, I guess, that he wants to go, and it'll offset some of the cost, but now I have to arrange the trip to fit what he wants to see and his schedule and.... arrrgh. I shouldn't complain. I'm just weirdly annoyed and feel like my trip's been hijacked.I think he's only coming for half, though.

okay no more complaining...

Best of all I leave on the 18th, which is right as this challenge ends, so it feels like all my nutritional work and gym work and whatever will be building towards me being in really good shape for the trip,  so I can hike, kayak, snorkel, wrestle great white sharks, whatever, and not be held back by my physical condition. 

large.8f5c103d767b9e90426671880f373616.jpg.fdafd635bdff087df3534816125de739.jpg

I had a lot of different things the last half of the last challenge that got me really jazzed up and reinforced my Walter Mitty-esque goals to take more chances and start moving towards the life I really want to build for myself. Planet Earth II came out and blew my mind and got me really excited about filmmaking again; I had enough downtime to clear my own headspace to start thinking about projects I want to finish or do; a friend of mine started a really great podcast that made me want to start mine up again; another close friend who has a congenital defect in his foot ran a tough mudder and just beat it all to pieces. I also had a friend who's only 54 have a (mild) heart attack (likely brought on by a lifetime of eating doritos on the couch, sadly) and another who's much healthier but is still only 50 was suddenly hospitalized because his liver shut down for no reason anyone can seem to figure out. All of those things really got me revved up and so I am super ready for this challenge.

THE FIRE IS LIT

large.fcbbbd0fe8bf136f8b3874ea8241de64.jpg.9a7659f5cb98462d6b16a33fd909523f.jpg

*Taco Ingestion Ratio.

• Like 4

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

I think it should be noted that I am NOT so revved up that I will be robbing banks and setting fire to gas stations, however over-stimulated I may be. 

• Like 2

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

Following along again.

Going to California? I love that song.

Spoiler

Do you actually want him to go with you to California? Whether you do or not you need to be clear up front and talk things out now, instead of in the middle of the trip.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I love the Redwoods. They're unlike anything else, it's like being on another planet. Don't forget to drive your car through the tree (rent something small, I doubt a Suburban will fit). If you go to the Taco Man in Crescent City keep your TIR down. They're the only tacos I've ever eaten that I wouldn't recommend.

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

50 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I love the Redwoods. They're unlike anything else, it's like being on another planet. Don't forget to drive your car through the tree (rent something small, I doubt a Suburban will fit). If you go to the Taco Man in Crescent City keep your TIR down. They're the only tacos I've ever eaten that I wouldn't recommend.

There are bad tacos? No way, José

that joke was TERRIBLE. I need some sleep

24 minutes ago, Xena said:

So confused

I even tried urban dictionary. I've got nothing.

I'm pretty sure the exact mathmatical formula for optimal Taco Ingestion is:

(t) = hw x 2

where tacos (t) eaten equals twice the weight of your head. In an ideal world, anyway. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

That's where I've gone wrong. I thought OTI (optimal taco ingestion) was tacos eaten equals the volume of our head. ButI think I was mixing it up with the Burrito theorem, which of course states that as a burrito approaches the size of your head the probability that the burrito fits your macros approaches infinity.

• Like 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

THE FIRE IS LIT 

actually the fire stayed up too late reading and is on her third cup of coffee, but has at least meditated and done yoga.

• Like 4

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

This thread started out with just the right amount of crazy and is steadily getting more bonkers. This makes me happy. Following.

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

On 4/18/2017 at 8:41 PM, DJtrippyT said:

but mostly it's that my TIR* is just way too high, so I have to keep an eye on that.

I had to jump to the bottom of the post to figure what TIR meant

On 4/18/2017 at 8:41 PM, DJtrippyT said:

*Taco Ingestion Ratio.

And I'm so glad I did :D

I didn't realize you were such a traveler, I'm jealous! We're trying to plan a road trip to the PNW this summer where we'd see the redwoods but animals make it hard to be gone for 2 weeks at a time

• Like 1
On 4/18/2017 at 11:36 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

That's where I've gone wrong. I thought OTI (optimal taco ingestion) was tacos eaten equals the volume of our head. ButI think I was mixing it up with the Burrito theorem, which of course states that as a burrito approaches the size of your head the probability that the burrito fits your macros approaches infinity.

large.giphy.gif.9a3af6b2caa51d84e85a0b3e94195ed6.gif

On 4/19/2017 at 11:35 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

This thread started out with just the right amount of crazy and is steadily getting more bonkers. This makes me happy. Following.

I can almost guarantee it will get weirder. My challenges tend that way.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:46 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We have some of those in San Antonio

"There surely isn't a dancing burrito gif on the internet.." she said, as she googled

large.giphy-1.gif.bd953d1a78ae5e05648e9d2d506b536d.gif

On 4/21/2017 at 8:44 AM, Maigahane said:

I didn't realize you were such a traveler, I'm jealous! We're trying to plan a road trip to the PNW this summer where we'd see the redwoods but animals make it hard to be gone for 2 weeks at a time

My mother says that when I learned to speak (at roughly age four) my first words were about traveling and having my own apartment.

I feel you on the pet thing. I had a houseful for years, and as they moved to doggie/kitty/hamster paradise I swore I was going pet-free so I could travel. Now I have one cat, and I regularly look him deeply in the eyes and mentally measure him for a backpack.

Week Zero Monday-Friday:

Get the spiritual side of it: Meditated three times. I am a meditation MACHINE. Thursday's meditation was interrupted by the very noisy arrival of the trash truck.

large.eecaa4b00d8711a19abcacd79b361200.jpg.cdf5e1c16d7299479465adc1ce664b5a.jpg

Get that surf body:

Yoga: twice.

Gym: Twice, one plyo/abs workout that involved flipping tires and pushing the prowler and getting rather sweaty, and one back squat session with the following progression: 

#65 x 5

#95 x 5

#115 x 5

#125 x 5

#135 X 5

#135 X 5

#135 X 5

So not super maxed out but better than the last time I squatted, which was right after I had the Bothan death flu that or whatever that was going around.

Bike: Only once this week, 28 miles. I'm probably not going to make my 75 mile goal this week. [pouts]

Traveling on the money: Made $20 on craigslist. Goes into the travel fund. Also I returned a pair of sandals I had bought but changed my mind about, and that $20 would also have gone into the travel fund, but I spent it immediately on tacos.

Still have today and tomorrow before week zero ends so will see if I can scoop up some more bike time or money.

Edited to add I have a savage case of poison ivy that I think I got from cuddling my cat, which is cutting into my workout enthusiasm. Cat needs a bath.

• Like 5

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

Week Zero Saturday/Sunday: Not much to report except HOLY SMOKES POISON IVY BLOWS 

I'm varnishing my cat so this never happens again :-(

Also I made one more craigslist sale, for $10, so that brings the total for the week to $30. Travelin' Taco money!

I meditated yesterday and again this morning. Given my inflamed and itchy state I am focusing on healing meditations as much as possible... yikes

Onward to week one, with high hopes and an extra-large bottle of Calamine Lotion...

• Like 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

On 4/22/2017 at 11:30 AM, DJtrippyT said:

My mother says that when I learned to speak (at roughly age four) my first words were about traveling and having my own apartment.

I feel you on the pet thing. I had a houseful for years, and as they moved to doggie/kitty/hamster paradise I swore I was going pet-free so I could travel. Now I have one cat, and I regularly look him deeply in the eyes and mentally measure him for a backpack.

Lol, my cat would do worse than even a normal cat in a backpack. After we lost my Dane three years ago we both figured we'd get another dog once I was done mourning (I'd had him from ages 15-28, that was a hard loss) but now Hubs and I have somewhat agreed that we're done acquiring animals even though we adore the ones we have. From 2 (large) dogs and 3 cats we're down to 1 dog and 2 cats.

1 minute ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Poison ivy is the worst. I got mine crawling through the bushes counting frogs and got it on every single surface possible.

Try this:

8cdf3dd6c2c1a12d71ede0a68293c89a.jpg

submerging myself in radioactive kool-aid?

• Like 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

2 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Poison ivy is the worst. I got mine crawling through the bushes counting frogs and got it on every single surface possible.

Try this:

8cdf3dd6c2c1a12d71ede0a68293c89a.jpg

Also I feel obligated to ask  - how many frogs were there?

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

On 4/22/2017 at 0:30 PM, DJtrippyT said:

Now I have one cat, and I regularly look him deeply in the eyes and mentally measure him for a backpack.

To put the cat into the backpack for easy travel, or to get the cat his own backpack, so he could help you carry shit around? The second option is pretty cool, but I don't think most cats would go for it. They're funny that way.

7 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Not much to report except HOLY SMOKES POISON IVY BLOWS 

I'm varnishing my cat so this never happens again :-(

Not sure if varnishing would make him more or less willing to schlep stuff around in a backpack.

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

13 hours ago, Xena said:

To put the cat into the backpack for easy travel, or to get the cat his own backpack, so he could help you carry shit around? The second option is pretty cool, but I don't think most cats would go for it. They're funny that way.

Not sure if varnishing would make him more or less willing to schlep stuff around in a backpack.

I was thinking the first - like those baby carriers you wear on your back - but how awesome if I could suit him up like a little sled dog with his own pack? He could carry his own food!

Upon researching I have found that not only do you NOT have to steal someone's baby backpack (sans baby, of course) because they make these specifically for pets, but they come in multiple styles

large.dogperch2.jpg.211085d8cd1ba0c29c4cd2a86f4849fe.jpglarge.eb7865ce-1d3b-4458-b32e-5444bf47ed5e_1.c431bcc6e27a76b596d476d23fce62df.jpeg.5d732e6f340a52f9aae4ef3dfaf9d3d1.jpeg

I tell you, it's a great time to be alive when you have options to carry your dog/cat around. I feel like my cat would prefer the top option, as he can more conveniently reach around and claw my face off for putting him in a backpack in that one.

large.00ef15ecf543ad9696f0e69aa9d21db7.jpg.67ab662ea97aca0c6cedab033641e939.jpg

This was the other, cat-carries-stuff option. I've given way too much thought to this. Also, LOOK AT THAT DOG'S CUTE LITTLE BOOTIES ON HIS LITTLE FEETS

47 minutes ago, TiffanyD said:

when my boyfriend found that out he immediately fixed the problem, lol.

Plus points in the boyfriend column. If he likes cats you should consider keeping him.

Monday update:

No workouts, as I am still covered in poison ivy rash. Definitely riding the trainer and doing yoga today.

Meditated. Felt the healing white light flow through me. Still itched.

Put about eight things on ebay/craigslist but haven't sold anything else, but realised I did incorrect math and that my total so far is actually $345, which is freaking awesome. Even in California that will buy a few fish tacos. Putting more stuff up today.

Hung out briefly with the Mantis yesterday. He said I look like the Toxic Avenger and I threatened to put all his bicycles on craigslist. Good times.

• Like 4

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

30 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

Plus points in the boyfriend column. If he likes cats you should consider keeping him.

We have 3 cats and 4 dogs at this point because strays keep showing up at our door and neither of us can give them up once they do... so yeah, he is a keeper :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJtrippyT said:

large.00ef15ecf543ad9696f0e69aa9d21db7.jpg.67ab662ea97aca0c6cedab033641e939.jpg

This was the other, cat-carries-stuff option. I've given way too much thought to this. Also, LOOK AT THAT DOG'S CUTE LITTLE BOOTIES ON HIS LITTLE FEETS

This is cute, but they're doing it wrong

41qN0y-0FFL._SY300_.jpg

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"