Necromancer tired of third party body acquisitions, goes assassin

The dapper necromancer, a man of questionable scruples and even more questionable magic, is tired of having to get his bodies from grave diggers and the like. They're never quite fresh enough and once you've made one old corpse rise from the dead, the novelty loses its value and the rot begins to stink up the place. So he's diversifying into corpse acquisitions! Of course, before he can start running and jumping across rooftops, he needs to start with some fundamentals.

Oh and don't worry, he swears to only use what he learns on monsters. Though the thought of an undead minotaur should probably worry you a bit...

Fitness goals:

1. 9 hours of sleep a day
  2. Run at 6mph for 5 minutes (last tested limit: 2 minutes)
  3. ONE. DAMN. PULL UP.

Life goals:

1. Make a very, VERY simple stealth game in Unity (VERY simple. One level, 2D, rotating guard LoS with no extra movement or sensors)
  • Like 4

Current inspirations: Corvo Attano, Izuku Midoriya

I've been doing some lat pulldowns for a couple weeks now, but I'm thinking that it's time to move towards inverted rowing and/or negative pull ups. The real trick is finding a bar to do them on. I have one of those bars that fits in your door frame, but lo and behold when I moved into my apartment, there are no door frames that can accompany it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

4356183+_ec4ed7ab61312a34bfbf16067d57c1ff.jpg

That does put a crimp in the pull-up plans. When you find a replacement bar or workout spot, I highly recommend scap retractions, too, to avoid shoulder injuries (speaking from experience, sadly). Perhaps there are nearby playgrounds or parks that would work?

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

I like everything about this. Following! I'm also working on pull-ups and upper body strength. Need a rogue in your party?

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Hey love the story.  Pull ups are a hard thing sometimes.  I was stuck at 3 for a few months even though I did them daily.  Saw the video I'm going to link and started working the muscle he talks about and within a week i was doing 5 so hope it helps.

• Like 2

Oh man, have you been reading Johannes Cabal the Necromancer, too? (If not then what can I say? Your timing is perfect. And you should read it). Following.

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

On 4/23/2017 at 7:20 PM, juliebarkley said:

Oh man, have you been reading Johannes Cabal the Necromancer, too? (If not then what can I say? Your timing is perfect. And you should read it). Following.

I will be now

/goes to find a copy

On 4/20/2017 at 2:03 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

I like everything about this. Following! I'm also working on pull-ups and upper body strength. Need a rogue in your party?

There are never enough rogues in any party

ANYHOW, UPDATE TIME!

The dapper necromancer's weekly routine had been to alternate between cardio and strength training, and he was to start this week with running along with a number of the animate dead. However, a complication reared its head - a pain had developed in his right foot, behind the ball of his foot. It twinged when force was applied with his weight on the balls of his feet. He surmised that it was an overuse injury brought about by leaping into a regular every-other-day running schedule for a few weeks after a very long time of avoiding running as much as possible.

Refusing to let this hamper the beginning of his journey, he decided to switch his plan for the week, using a bike in the stead of running - hoping his foot would feel better by the next week.

• Used exercise bike on cardio setting for the length of an episode of Zombies, Run! (about 32 minutes)

Tonight/tomorrow's goals:

• Sleep at 11PM
  • Bodyweight routine (3 sets)
    • 30 bodyweight squats
    • 20 push ups
    • 20 lunges
    • 30 sec plank
    • Inverted pull ups (until failure)
  • Like 2

I know the pain of wanting to run but having your body fight back.  I have a recurring pain in my right knee that flares up when i run for a long period of time.  

12 hours ago, DapperNecromancer said:

There are never enough rogues in any party

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

Good job on the workout, and adjusting to the injury. I hope it's a quick/minor one.

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

How'd the bodyweight workout go? Hopefully less painful than the running? I know this sounds dumb, but... are you stretching and doing warm-ups before running? It's amazing how much difference that makes. 

Bodyweight is doing fine, and I've been making sure to stretch before and after all exercises, if just to get the joints ready for strain.

OH HEY UPDATE

Yeah so I'm not doing this update with story as the last couple weeks have been... shall we say, interesting? Point is, I started falling off the horse and I need to get back with it. I stumbled in my routine but I'm getting right back to it.

GOOD NEWS is that I've been keeping up with the inverted pullups and have made some progress there. I can easily lift myself up to a point where my arms are bent at a 90 degree angle, coming from a rest. It's getting past that point that is giving me a real roadblock. Think I'm gonna add some weights, at least for curling (palms down, dunno what specific name that has but w/e).

The sleep and coding goals have been fairly laughable but hey I can still try.

TL;DR: Got sick for a bit, stopped keeping with it. Fixing that now.

• Like 1

GOAL MET

The dapper necromancer ran. He ran and he ran and he ran. When he thought he could run no longer, he pushed in just that bit of extra effort. One of his animate dead had gotten a little out of his control, and it seemed that they fellow was a little more than miffed at having his body turned into a mindless servant. Panting as he slammed the door behind him, a thought occurred to him. He had seen a number of bystanders running from the creature as well, and he had managed to outrun them - probably how he had managed to get away from the tireless corpse, himself.

Well, that was odd. He'd never run that well before. He smiled a little to himself as he ticked a list off in his mind.

Of course, now he had an animate, ravenous corpse with a grudge to deal with, but those were details for later.

Run at 6mph for 5 minutes - COMPLETE

Edit:
new goal - 8 minutes at 6mph

• Like 2

Also, running is a good thing for a necromancer to improve. Not only must you run from your rogue creations, but also from the torch-wielding mobs that may show their displeasure with your research by trying to kill you.

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

On 5/9/2017 at 0:24 AM, DapperNecromancer said:

Run at 6mph for 5 minutes - COMPLETE

Edit:
new goal - 8 minutes at 6mph

Woot! Congrats! Sorry to hear you got sick, that seems to be going around right now. I've seen that about palms-down curls being useful for breaking a pull-up plateau. Do you feel it's helping at all?