Chapter the Third:

Nope. Didn't get anything productive done yesterday aside from the planning and budget updating. Good news is that I finally have enough info to estimate my audit grade +/- about 1 point.

Daily Tasks:

Day planned: Yes. 7/28

Budget updated: Yes. 6/28

Pushups: 268

% of daily goal: 93%

% of 1500 goal: 18%

Ounces of beer consumed: 180

% of 426 limit: 42%

Interview question of the day completed: No. 0/14 Will not count towards character points.

Weekly Tasks:

Waist measured: No. 0/4.

Bodyweight measured: No. 0/4.

Floor swept: Yes. 1/4.

Floor vacuumed: No. 0/2. Will not count towards character points.

Challenge Tasks:

Rucking trips taken: 0/2.

Tax Final Grade:

Audit Final Grade: 94

Miles rucked: 0.

Vegetables mastered: 0.

• Like 2

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

Flight Plans: 1; 2; 3; 4;

The Hangar

I'm officially one week into this new challenge. The biggest thing that's popped out at me thus far is how hard it is to stay consistent with all but a few tasks. While I don't know for sure if this is a cause, if I were to speculate, I'd say that one of my problems would be a lack of goal-related structure to these tasks. Given that, I think it's high time that I revisited my goals in updating and keeping this challenge on course.

My Five Meta-Goals (Warren Buffett says I can't have more than that)

1. Have a kick-ass wedding.

2. Get my CPA.

3. Get an internship.

4. Routinize my planning tasks.

5. Lose the belly.

Of course, except for the cleaning tasks, everything I've got advances one of those goals. Even the cleaning tasks could arguably advance goal #1 (Maintaining a clean house keeps the fiance happy thus increasing the likelihood that our wedding will be kick ass.)

Honestly, I think I'm just tired. I've been throwing everything that I've got at these two tests AND I'm trying to stay on top of the wedding tasks. The wedding tasks wouldn't be so bad except this is the first time that either me or my fiance have ever done a wedding, and it seems like there's a million ways to do a wedding and no clear guidelines and so on. Not to mention keeping all of the satellite people attached to the wedding happy. And trying to stave off the occasional freakout. I'm just stressed out, and she's stressed out, and money's tight, etc.

Well, no one ever said this would be easy. I'm glad it's hard. Hard makes me strong. But, well, it's still hard.

I wish I had some kind of guarantee that I would have an internship by the time fall rolled around. That would make a lot of this much easier. But, there's no such thing as that sort of guarantee, either. If there were, no one would need an accountant.

Okay, I wrote all that to eventually say this:

1. I'm postponing the interview question per day until the second half of the challenge (next week). I don't want to ditch it altogether, though I may. Let's see how next week goes.

2. Same for the floor vacuuming.

Neither of these will count towards "points" for my nerdfitness character. Everything else stays.

Okay, that's done. Here's to week number two!

• Like 1

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

The Hangar

12 hours ago, theflyingaccountant said:

Honestly, I think I'm just tired. I've been throwing everything that I've got at these two tests AND I'm trying to stay on top of the wedding tasks. The wedding tasks wouldn't be so bad except this is the first time that either me or my fiance have ever done a wedding, and it seems like there's a million ways to do a wedding and no clear guidelines and so on. Not to mention keeping all of the satellite people attached to the wedding happy. And trying to stave off the occasional freakout. I'm just stressed out, and she's stressed out, and money's tight, etc.

Definitely sounds like you have a handle on why things are tough right now! My husband and I had a super low key wedding and there were times when that was stressful - I can't imagine trying to do something larger!

Recognizing what is most important and structuring your goals to focus on that is part of being successful! Way to go!

• Like 2

Daily Tasks:

Day planned: Yes. 8/28

Budget updated: Yes. 7/28

Pushups: 358

% of daily goal: 150%

% of 1500 goal: 24%

Interview question of the day completed: No. 0/14 Will not count towards character points.

Weekly Tasks:

Waist measured: Yes. 1/4.

Bodyweight measured: Yes. 1/4.

Floor swept: No. 1/4.

Challenge Tasks:

Tax Final Grade:

• Like 2

The Hangar

5 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Definitely sounds like you have a handle on why things are tough right now! My husband and I had a super low key wedding and there were times when that was stressful - I can't imagine trying to do something larger!

Ours is pretty low key, too. It's more a matter of handling all of the personalities involved, some of which trend towards the dramatic side.

• Like 2

The Hangar

Daily Tasks:

Day planned: Yes. 9/28

Budget updated: No. 7/28

Pushups: 358

% of daily goal: 0%

% of 1500 goal: 24%

Weekly Tasks:

Challenge Tasks:

Tax Final Grade:

• Like 1

The Hangar

Daily Tasks:

Day planned: Yes. 10/28

Budget updated: Yes. 8/28

Pushups: 418

% of daily goal: 94%

% of 1500 goal: 28%

Ounces of beer consumed: 204

% of 426 limit: 48%

Weekly Tasks:

Challenge Tasks:

Tax Final Grade:

• Like 2

The Hangar

Daily Tasks:

Day planned: Yes. 11/28

Budget updated: No. 8/28

Pushups: 418

% of daily goal: 0%

% of 1500 goal: 28%

Weekly Tasks:

Challenge Tasks:

Tax Final Grade: 91

• Like 2

The Hangar

Daily Tasks:

Day planned: Yes. 12/28

Budget updated: Yes. 9/28

Pushups: 508

% of daily goal: 136%

% of 1500 goal: 34%

Weekly Tasks:

Challenge Tasks:

• Like 1

The Hangar

So, at first, I wasn't very motivated to do any pushups today. Just wasn't feeling it. Wasn't feeling it yesterday, either.

Then, my mind started going places. Places like "You're too old to go into public accounting. It's hard to get a job at your age. You're just going to be stuck as a broke ass hick all your life because that's what you are. You're not good enough for the really good jobs. You're damaged goods. Blah blah blah."

And then I got all pissed because 1-It ain't true; 2-I've got too many people rooting for me; and 3-I'm going to be the best damn accountant that anyone has ever seen.

So then I said "Screw you, voice-in-my-head. You ain't the boss of me. You're just some idiot backseat driving. You don't know anything. Besides, this stuff is supposed to be hard." And then I went and did some pushups. And now, I'm about to do some more.

Just in case the point hasn't fully been driven home yet:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt.

• Like 1

The Hangar

Daily Tasks:

Day planned: No. 12/28

Budget updated: No. 9/28

Pushups: 523

% of daily goal: 21%

% of 1500 goal: 35%

Ounces of beer consumed: 240

% of 426 limit: 56%

Weekly Tasks:

Waist measured: No. 1/4.

Bodyweight measured: No. 1/4.

Challenge Tasks:

• Like 1

The Hangar

Day planned: No. 12/28

Budget updated: Yes. 10/28

Pushups: 553

% of daily goal: 41%

% of 1500 goal: 37%

Weekly Tasks:

Challenge Tasks:

• Like 2

The Hangar

Day planned: Yes. 13/28

Budget updated: No. 10/28

Pushups: 553

% of daily goal: 41%

% of 1500 goal: 37%

Weekly Tasks:

Challenge Tasks:

• Like 1

The Hangar

So, I never really got around to doing a quick rundown of my progress throughout the challenge, which I think is something that would be appropriate for the halfway point.

Oh well. Better late than never.

This one has been a bit of a struggle. Not that it's been particularly hard. In fact, I think parts of this challenge were significantly easier than previous challenges. Certainly doable, at least.

I think I've got a lot of distractions. And then, factor that in with the fact that I'm just generally unmotivated most of the time. I also don't think I put this challenge together with any clear goal in mind. I think my approach was more or less "Ok, it's time for challenge number three. Let me throw some tasks up real quick."

So my heart's not really in this challenge. I doubt it will ever get into the challenge. This one will just be one of those I have to slog through. It happens. I'll keep hacking at it, though.

Don't have a lot going on this week, school or work-wise at least, so naturally, my schedule is starting to fill up with all sorts of non-school/work-related tasks. I'm going to try to carve out some time to re-examine my current goals as well as look over some of the upcoming wedding stuff. I also want to be a little bit more active on the forums.

I want I want I want.

Yeah yeah yeah.

There's so many things I want to do. That's what makes this stuff hard sometimes. There's so many things that I want to learn, and one lifetime is hardly enough to learn and enjoy it all.

Anyway, I'm going out of town tonight to hang out with my best friend from high school. Maybe I'll come back with some perspective. Or maybe not. I'm working on it. I ain't quittin'.

• Like 1

The Hangar

Okay, so after making such a big deal about how I'm not quitting, I'm totally quitting.

Sort of. Not really. But kinda.

I'm scaling this challenge way way back to just two things: Update the budget daily and update my to-do list daily.

Yes, it's not the most "adventurous" approach in the world, but, well, I'm getting freaking married! And I can't think of no better adventure than marriage.

Seriously though, this stuff is getting real, and I need to divert energy and resources to the wedding and to grad school.

I'm not leaving NF. Far from it. In fact, now that I'm devoting less time to my challenges, I may poke around some of the other forums when I get a moment. I'd also like to encourage you guys in your challenges the way all of you have encouraged me.

So, this is the plan: From now until August-ish, I'm going to devote attention to routinizing my updating my budget and updating my to-do list and maybe one or two other small items, tops. If I go on any hiking or outdoor trips, then groovy, but I'm not going to actively seek them out. Other than that, though, challenge-wise, I'm on standby until after the wedding.

• Like 2

The Hangar