Dagger Metamorphose Into a Nomad

Dagger

raw

This is me over the next challenge.

I'm turning from a home owner to a nomad. I'll vagabond around the world. I'll become a traveling fictioneer.

Fictioneer is my made up word for someone who writes and reads fiction.

This challenge will have two stages:

Before the Move

First Stage of My New Life Style

My goals will change enormously between the two stages, but I also expect the goals to be pretty fluid during the second part.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Introducing myself or whatever

Hi! I'm Dagger or Felicia.

I am a fiction writer on the verge of selling my home and living in many places of the world. I'm Swedish. The fiction I write is in English.

I have two publications coming out during this challenge, two anthologies that I have stories in.

Beside writing, I love reading, gaming (both console/computer, broad games and role playing), being out in nature, walking, gymnastics/calisthenics skills, crime TV-shows, and much more.

My next few stops on my travels are: Costa Rica, Boston, and Sweden (yes I go back home repeatedly, especially the next few months).

If anyone would like to meet me when I'm in your area, please tell me what area you are in and if there is a better way to contact you then the forum (depending on how active you are). You can easily do this in a PM. I have a list that I maintain over friends who've said they'd love to see me and I will make sure to check it anytime I travel somewhere.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Before the Move

My specific to do list related to getting everything done before the move are too long to share here. Plus not that helpful to all you guys. I currently have a loose plan for the next week and a half (so rest of zero week, all of week 1 and a couple of days of week 2).

The Big Day is May 2nd. That is the day at 10:00 (am) that I will sign the last contract, hand over the keys and become effectively homeless.

Considering, my parents let me have stuff with them and stay with them when I'm in Sweden, I do have somewhere to stay in a pinch. Plus I have friends in many places in the world who have offered a guest room or couch if I need or when I'm in the area.

The basics of what I'll do in the next week and change:

• Decide what to do with the rest of my stuff, basically: travel (if I'm taking it with me), charity or trash. The items that I keep with my parents have already gone with them so I can't add more to that pile.
  • Get my financial papers in order. This is to make sure I don't have to travel home to Sweden in case I need access to specific papers and such. This means putting them in order, scanning them all in and then putting them in folders (and these will also go to my parents).
  • Same thing with receipts as with the financial papers.
  • Trying to sell my more expensive items that I'm not keeping.
  • Running the last few errands related to travel such as: vaccination appointment, recycling, getting the stuff to charity.
  • Cleaning the house right before selling.

Beside this I hope to keep up with my self care which includes but isn't limited to:

• Meditation
  • Tarot card readings
  • Coaching calls with Kate Marolt
  • Playing games
  • Reading
  • Taking walks
  • Stretching
  • Writing

~*~*~*~*~*~

First Stage of My New Life Style

So this stage in some ways officially start around noon May 2nd since everything around the house sell should be finished by then. Some might however argue that it doesn't really start until May 5th when I actually leave any place I've lived before. (I will be staying with my parents between those days.)

But why go into semantics? ^____^

Here are three things I hope to start on May 3rd (let us just say that):

1. Start using this journal I bought a while ago: Nomatic Planner and Notebook. I don't know how it'll work for me or even if noting things down on paper will be useful for me, but I thought I might as well use it if I own it, right? :)
  2. Journal about a place every day. This might also be shared as part of my travelogue (it won't be here on the forums, if I actually start this online I'll give you guys a link), but mostly this is a practice to build skills for my fiction writing. I'll be writing down what my five senses notice once per day.
  3. Movement every day. I want this to be beyond the walks I know I'll take. Stretching and more. I don't want to say more because then I probably won't do it, but when I get it started (almost wrote if) I can tell you all.

Of course, I will also still be doing my self care. Same activities as in part 1 of this challenge. However, my coaching calls with Kate will have ended by then (I only signed up for four). That is the only change though.

One thing I'll definitely take up more seriously is the weekly mission I get from Kate (another program of hers that doesn't seem to have officially launched yet). On Tuesdays I'll start the mission (I receive it on Monday, but since I'm in a very different time zone from her, it might not arrive until late afternoon or evening in Europe time) if it is daily and if it is once I'll schedule a time for it.

So those are the basic goals of this second part, but I mentioned fluidity and that is because on May 6 a retreat with Kate Marolt and Amy Clover (stronginsideout.com) starts in Costa Rica, and I will be there. So during that week long retreat, I will go with the flow of the retreat. I already know movement and self care will happen as a part of the retreat. The journaling goal might or might not happen.

My goals for the retreat is basically two fold:

1) Go with an open mind and no expectations. Live in the movement.

2) Give myself space to transform metamorphose into the new version of me that has the whole world as her home.

Anything not in service of that will not happen during that week.

[Between here I have a couple of days of integration of what happened at the retreat while staying in Costa Rica. Basically I will pamper myself at a good hotel right beside the beach. Thereby getting a lot of thinking time and also staring at the ocean time.]

The second time I'll definitely need fluidity is when I visit Boston and stay with our wonderful @Severine. She and I will also meet up with @fleaball.

And then on the last day of the challenge (which will be May 21 for me since I do Monday-Sunday challenges), I will land back in Sweden for about a week before going to Italy.

~*~*~*~*~*~

So that is basically what my challenge will be.

During the first part I will report my success or failure with accomplishing what I set out to do that day. I will probably also discuss what I've been doing because I like to talk.

During the second part I will report on my three new initiatives (tracking on paper, journaling, and movement). Plus talk about anything else that comes to mind. Also realize that during the retreat and my visit in Boston, my internet time will probably be limited (mostly because of choice).

A lot will happen during the second part and one of those things I'll be doing is finding new balances for thing such as how much time I spend on the forum. There are many things that will have to adjust and it might just get somewhat painful.

Also to calm curiosity and keep my family informed of where I am and how I'm doing, I will have to find a balance of reporting that. Probably some combo of facebook, instagram and my blog. Anyone interested in following me there, please PM me and I'll give you all links. I'm a little too free talking here to want people to easily find my talking here by a simple google search, lol.

• Like 14

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

PLACEHOLDER

This will probably hold my nerdversary post and perhaps anything else I need. My nerdversary is May 7. (Basically I will copy the post that will happen in the flow of things and add in in here.)

• Like 1

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Yeaahhhhh party hard!

also I don't remember if I've ever said this or just thought about saying it a lot but you're welcome to crash at my house if you're ever in the DC area. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

23 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Yeaahhhhh party hard!

also I don't remember if I've ever said this or just thought about saying it a lot but you're welcome to crash at my house if you're ever in the DC area. 

Cool! I just added another comment to my DC note to add I can sleep at your place. I know enough people in that area that I definitely want to visit it some time. I saw it as an 18 year old, but only for the day, so only like the capitol and some museums and the Lincoln memorial.

• Like 2

Reciprocal follow :) I assume at some point you're going to travel to Texas?

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

So that is basically what my challenge will be.

You got this. Let me know if there is any way I can help.

Following!

• Like 2

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

31 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Reciprocal follow :) I assume at some point you're going to travel to Texas?

At some point, if nothing else to be able to meet all the NF folks who seem to like that place! Can I add you to the list of Texas folks I'll contact if I'll be in the area? :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

You got this. Let me know if there is any way I can help.

Following!

Thanks! Glad to see you here again. :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dagger said:

At some point, if nothing else to be able to meet all the NF folks who seem to like that place! Can I add you to the list of Texas folks I'll contact if I'll be in the area? :)

Austin's got a lot of Rebels, including the Mighty Spezzy, Wild Wolf is in Dallas. Iaxera is in Texas as well as many other's I'm leaving out.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I just keep thinking of that map of Europe with Texas superimposed on it covering like seven countries. Have fun, Dagger. =P 

• Like 6

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

33 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I just keep thinking of that map of Europe with Texas superimposed on it covering like seven countries. Have fun, Dagger. =P 

I know Texas is huge. Heck your whole country is huge. Which is why I haven't visited much of it in the last few years. I saw a lot during a road trip when I was 18 though. ^___^

• Like 3

Fictioneer is a fantastic word and also sounds like a superhero or steampunk name. You should put it on a business card ;)

Super excited about your visit in May. I'll try to show the best that Boston and area has to offer!

• Like 6

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
Just now, Severine said:

Fictioneer is a fantastic word and also sounds like a superhero or steampunk name. You should put it on a business card ;)

*cough* I might have already had that idea. *cough*

You saw through me! A planned change in my website design is to add the subtitle of Traveling Fictioneer, instead of boring "Official author website"

1 minute ago, Severine said:

Super excited about your visit in May. I'll try to show the best that Boston and area has to offer!

Wiiiii! :D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Severine said:

I'll try to show the best that Boston and area has to offer!

And if you decide to drop down to West Virginia, let me know. :)

• Like 2

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

5 minutes ago, Dagger said:

*cough* I might have already had that idea. *cough*

You saw through me! A planned change in my website design is to add the subtitle of Traveling Fictioneer, instead of boring "Official author website"

Just consider it evidence that your idea is a good one :D

• Like 3

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!
51 minutes ago, Severine said:

Just consider it evidence that your idea is a good one :D

I will! :D

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

And if you decide to drop down to West Virginia, let me know. :)

We will. To be honest though, I don't think it'll be in the cards this time. I'll get two full days there, and we already have two things on the books (meeting Fleaball and shopping for outdoor stuff I need), beyond that I'm guessing we'll just hike/walk and cook/bake together because we has delicious baking plans, but those require time. I roped one of Severine's partners into owing me a cake since my birthday will be three days after I leave. XD

Next time in the area though for sure. :D

• Like 5

Day 0 of Before the Move

2017-04-19

So today was to be rest and planing. I did planing, I also took the time to check of some easy tasks (yay!). And...

Rest...

Well, I do feel rested from today, but I certainly missed completely in two respects: I didn't meditate and I didn't take a walk. Both which I would have wanted to do and both which would have helped balance all the time I spent thinking and planing and checking NF challenges (and writing my own). Basically, the balancing act was off today, but there were only a few short moments here and there that I'm actually unsatisfied with what I did (obsessively refreshing the forum doesn't magically make people post, imagine that...).

So I feel good about today. Both because it has been a pretty good day with loads of fiction reading, some well needed planing, some quick checking off of some tasks that makes me feel better, and because I was back on the game with my eating. (My eating and schedule around that got completely thrown off on Monday and Tuesday due to the rush of getting my keep piles finished before my parents came by to pick them up.)

And another thing? Today is such a huge different from just a few months ago. If I'd gotten my application for a travel card denied then, I would have raged, anxietied (why isn't this a word?) and been upset through most of the day. Any time I thought of it (which would have been often), I would have been brought back to that brink. I can truthfully say that didn't happen today. It might have made small cascade changes through the day that lead me to not taking a walk or meditate, but nothing close to how it would have disrupted me a few months ago.

How can I be mad or sad or dissatisfied when I've come so far? When I can actually shrug something like that off. Where I don't feel the need to rant about them, although I probably will to someone in private over the next few days. But the point is that I don't need to. Even dwelling on it now isn't changing my mind about not ranting, well... maybe a little. ;)

So yeah, could have been better, but when isn't that true? I would really have liked the balance to fall a little more towards self care than what happened today. But a similar planing day last year would have had me in the clouds and not even noticing the imbalance and if I had I wouldn't have known what that meant. Progress. :)

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

Love this! :D

Say what??

I'm glad to hear my traveling fictioneer moniker is so well loved. Mainly because I loved it so much and didn't know if it would only be me. ^_____^

I posted about this in my previous challenge:

10 hours ago, Dagger said:

They only look at income for deciding whether someone gets a card or not. So you could be a millionaire with no income and not get the card. >____>

• Like 2

I think it's great how you're able to see and truly appreciate the improvement. I think it's really great that you can accurately compare your current experience to your past experience (or how past you would have responded to a current thing). For me, such comparisons are hard because my mind skews them - even if there has been real improvement, it's hard for me to see it or to feel like it's worth celebrating. So high five for that.

The travel card denial is a bummer but hey, they're the ones missing out on a reliable customer who would have paid on time. Their loss. You'll find another solution!

• Like 2

I love your challenge, all of it! Traveling the world no strings attached sounds like the aventure of a lifetime.

If you're ever on Buenos Aires and want to meet up send me a PM. I'll grill some meat and my GF makes the best chocotorta ever.

• Like 2

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

8 hours ago, Severine said:

I think it's great how you're able to see and truly appreciate the improvement. I think it's really great that you can accurately compare your current experience to your past experience (or how past you would have responded to a current thing). For me, such comparisons are hard because my mind skews them - even if there has been real improvement, it's hard for me to see it or to feel like it's worth celebrating. So high five for that.

The travel card denial is a bummer but hey, they're the ones missing out on a reliable customer who would have paid on time. Their loss. You'll find another solution!

My mind definitely skew things at times, usually for the worse. So I suppose my improvement could look better than it actually is. More seriously, I've been observing myself and my reactions for years now. Even before I had help in figuring out how to change for the better, I would notice patterns in my behavior and such.

Yep, you've got it right. I would have been a good customer. Their loss. The only sad thing is that I'm pretty sure there are no other real travel cards out there in Sweden. No idea why not. But I'll get a VISA just to make sure I have both a VISA and a MasterCard. (For example, I heard in Costa Rica it is good to have a VISA!)

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Agnarr said:

I love your challenge, all of it! Traveling the world no strings attached sounds like the aventure of a lifetime.

If you're ever on Buenos Aires and want to meet up send me a PM. I'll grill some meat and my GF makes the best chocotorta ever.

Thank you, and I'll definitely hit you up when I get there. There might be some very vague plans to come by later this year, however not confirmed at all and not 100% my decision (the thing I'm looking at I'd have to apply for so they could conceivably say no). I'll make sure to mention it here on my challenge whether I apply or not and if I get a yes or no, and if I go I'll PM you for sure. Some grilled meat and chocotorta sounds like a tasty meal! :D

• Like 2