• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SirJoshHafer

SirJoshHafer: Nuptials Edition

Welcome!

This will be my first challenge and the timing couldn't be better... It ends on the day of my wedding!

giphy.gif

Ever since I learned about proper nutrition I haven't had any problems gaining (healthy) weight, but cutting down is another story. My commitment to eating clean long enough to have a profound effect is, shall we say, lackluster at best. To exacerbate the issue I've always been a night owl which doesn't jive with a 8-5 job very well. When I do manage to get enough sleep I don't have much trouble sticking to a meal plan or staying motivated, but those occurrences are few and far between.

With all that in mind I've formulated the following goals and action plan for the next four weeks:

Quest 1: Get more sleep

Problem: I tend to get 5-6 hours of sleep each night which leaves me feeling lethargic for half the day.

Action: Go to bed at 11:00 PM EST and get out of bed at 7:00 AM EST.

Reasoning: This should give me 7-8 hours of sleep, even though it usually takes me around 30 minutes to actually fall asleep *sigh*. I also believe focusing on the physical action of getting out of bed will dissuade me from saying, "Well I woke up on time *hits snooze, falls back to sleep*."

Quest 2: Eat more breakfast

Problem: I often skip breakfast because I'm too tired to make it in the mornings.

Action: Place protein powder, shaker, and supplements on kitchen table. Cook eggs the night prior and place on top refrigerator shelf along with greek yogurt.

Reasoning: I am NOT a morning person, so preparing my morning nutrition the night before and making it easy to grab heading out the door removes the excuse of "I don't feel like cooking first thing in the morning..."

Quest 3: Track more workouts

Problem: I usually go by how I feel in the gym when it comes to selecting my weights and don't seem to make steady progress.

Action: Workout no less than 4 and no more than 6 times per week limited to one hour per session. Log all parameters (sets, reps, weight, cardio, rest).

Reasoning: Crushing my workouts is almost never a problem (except when my lack of proper sleep and nutrition catches up with me), improving over time consistently not so much. Logging everything will give me a clear picture of where I am and what to improve. Also, limiting the length of my sessions will free up some time for my other goals as I tend to stay in the gym for far too long (1.5-2 hours) if unchecked.

Life Quest: Learn more programming

Problem: I have several ideas for Android apps but do not know how to build them.

Action: Follow the Udacity Android Development courses, committing at least 1 hour everyday.

Reasoning: I am a web application software engineer with zero experience in mobile development. There are solutions for using web technologies to build mobile apps, but I would like to build native for the performance and learning experience.

• Like 3

Hey Sir Josh! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and welcome to the Rebellion! :D

On 2017-04-19 at 11:01 AM, SirJoshHafer said:

Quest 1: Get more sleep

Problem: I tend to get 5-6 hours of sleep each night which leaves me feeling lethargic for half the day.

Action: Go to bed at 11:00 PM EST and get out of bed at 7:00 AM EST.

Reasoning: This should give me 7-8 hours of sleep, even though it usually takes me around 30 minutes to actually fall asleep *sigh*. I also believe focusing on the physical action of getting out of bed will dissuade me from saying, "Well I woke up on time *hits snooze, falls back to sleep*."

Ugggg, this is so hard for me as well. It's so easy to say "just one more..." at like 10:00 and then realize it's suddenly 2 am and where did that time go to? >_<
Something that has helped me is to give myself some warning alarms. I have one on my phone and one set on my computer to warn me when it's 40 minutes to bed time. Then I have time to close things up and brush my teeth before making it to bed. :) Hopefully you can find something to help trigger you to go and it could also be a trigger to prepare your breakfast (if you haven't done it before then).

Good luck with the challenge! I'm very interested to hear how your Android Development courses go :D - I've been humming and hawwing about taking time to learn more mobile development as well so it will be good to hear what you think of the course that you're taking.

For the Rebellion!

• Like 1

Weddinggggg! Congrats on your upcoming nuptials and your first challenge!

What part of sleeping is most challenging for you, going to bed or waking up in the morning? I find that making my bed a thing of absolute decadence (fancy sheets and duvet, comfy pillow) make me more likely to get into bed for the night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hymnusal said:

Hey Sir Josh! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and welcome to the Rebellion! :D

Ugggg, this is so hard for me as well. It's so easy to say "just one more..." at like 10:00 and then realize it's suddenly 2 am and where did that time go to? >_<
Something that has helped me is to give myself some warning alarms. I have one on my phone and one set on my computer to warn me when it's 40 minutes to bed time. Then I have time to close things up and brush my teeth before making it to bed. :) Hopefully you can find something to help trigger you to go and it could also be a trigger to prepare your breakfast (if you haven't done it before then).

Good luck with the challenge! I'm very interested to hear how your Android Development courses go :D - I've been humming and hawwing about taking time to learn more mobile development as well so it will be good to hear what you think of the course that you're taking.

For the Rebellion!

Thank you Hymnusal!

I've considered setting reminders for different things as you mentioned, but I never seem to get around to doing it haha. Starting with just one an hour before to prompt the routine might actually work and require almost no time to setup. My biggest issue is actually getting out of bed in the morning because apparently my body REALLY likes its sleep. :lol:

Do you have any programming experience? Udacity has two different nanodegrees aimed at programmers and non-programmers. I'll be doing the programmer-oriented one and will post my impressions once I have finished the courses.

For the Rebellion!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plazmotic said:

Weddinggggg! Congrats on your upcoming nuptials and your first challenge!

What part of sleeping is most challenging for you, going to bed or waking up in the morning? I find that making my bed a thing of absolute decadence (fancy sheets and duvet, comfy pillow) make me more likely to get into bed for the night.

Thank you Plazmotic!

It's not so much waking up, but getting out of bed that is my problem. I should probably invest in an actual alarm clock and stop depending on my phone, maybe setting it across the room or have another one also placed downstairs. I'm pretty dedicated to making the bed as I'm a total neat freak, however I get up earlier than my fiance and she doesn't have the same level of neat freak tendencies that I do haha. :hopelessness:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SirJoshHafer said:

It's not so much waking up, but getting out of bed that is my problem. I should probably invest in an actual alarm clock and stop depending on my phone, maybe setting it across the room or have another one also placed downstairs. I'm pretty dedicated to making the bed as I'm a total neat freak, however I get up earlier than my fiance and she doesn't have the same level of neat freak tendencies that I do haha

Interesting! How much later does your fiancé wake up? My husband gets up half an hour after me and if for some reason I accidentally fall back asleep after my alarm goes off, he’s great at hauling my ass out of bed, usually by ripping the covers off of me ahahaha.

Otherwise, I find that getting out of bed isn't too hard for me. It's getting to bed on time that's my challenge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SirJoshHafer said:

Do you have any programming experience? Udacity has two different nanodegrees aimed at programmers and non-programmers. I'll be doing the programmer-oriented one and will post my impressions once I have finished the courses.

Yup! Programming pays the bills around here. I got my Bachelor of Computer Science 3 years ago, but I've really only been working in java and UI scripting libraries for the last couple of years.

3 hours ago, SirJoshHafer said:

I should probably invest in an actual alarm clock and stop depending on my phone, maybe setting it across the room or have another one also placed downstairs

lol, or Clocky, the wheeled alarm clock (maybe overkill)

clocky-robotic-wheeled-alarm-clock-1.jpg

• Like 1

Hey!  Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

I have an idea re: your sleep, that I wanted to share with you.  Why not try going to bed even earlier that that?  Wait - here me out! 

I'm also a night owl, usually coming alive after 8pm, but a while ago I did a challenge to be in bed by 10:30pn with an alarm set on my phone (not actually in bed when the alarm went off = no points).  The logic behind this is that sleep isn't a constant thing.  We all know that we sleep in cycles of deep sleep and REM sleep, but did you know that the length of time you spend in REM sleep (between your deep sleep cycles) gets longer as the night goes on, so the quality of sleep you get in the early part of the night is far greater than towards the morning.  (And its related to the time of night not what time you go to sleep)  In other words, the earlier you go to bed, the less hours of sleep you need to get the same quality of sleep. 

You mentioned that you take a while to get to sleep too which is a sign that you're going to bed at the wrong time.  I used to think that I couldn't get to sleep because I wasn't tired enough but going to bed earlier made me fall asleep faster.  It's certainly made a big difference to me and how refreshed I feel in the morning.  

You could find that going to bed just 30 mins earlier could be all it takes to totally change your sleep quality.  Just a thought. 

Ps. I'm awake at 2:30am because I've been unwell and spent a large part of the evening sleeping on the couch.  Now my body thinks its morning.  Gah!

• Like 2

On 4/19/2017 at 7:01 AM, SirJoshHafer said:

Logging everything will give me a clear picture of where I am and what to improve.

I started tracking in my Bullet Journal for the last challenge and it made a huge difference to me. I could complete the record in less than 90 seconds, so it wasn't a burden to track it every night. This is what my final looked like. (attached)

One lesson learned for me, it was hard to pick up trends with each of them shown separately in their cute box. For my next challenge I'll be doing a long horizontal tracker with everything lined up so I can see the trends easier.  Something more like this: 

Or this:

Not that you asked, but I thought I would share my personal experience so you can use it as a lesson learned. 

Tracking made all the difference in my success, I definitely believe you're on the right track by setting that goal. Good luck!

BuJoTracker.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Plazmotic said:

Interesting! How much later does your fiancé wake up? My husband gets up half an hour after me and if for some reason I accidentally fall back asleep after my alarm goes off, he’s great at hauling my ass out of bed, usually by ripping the covers off of me ahahaha.

Otherwise, I find that getting out of bed isn't too hard for me. It's getting to bed on time that's my challenge.

That sounds about the same as my situation haha. She usually wakes up between 30-90 minutes after me depending on whether she's working or has class that morning. I don't normally oversleep, but when I do she practically shoves me into the floor.

I agree, getting to bed on time is so much more difficult when things like Netflix and Destiny exist. :highly_amused:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hymnusal said:

Yup! Programming pays the bills around here. I got my Bachelor of Computer Science 3 years ago, but I've really only been working in java and UI scripting libraries for the last couple of years.

lol, or Clocky, the wheeled alarm clock (maybe overkill)

clocky-robotic-wheeled-alarm-clock-1.jpg

Nice! I got the same degree 5 years ago. Started out in a tech support at a manufacturing plant which evolved into a database administration/application development position. When I moved this past fall I was hired by a software development company and now do consultation projects, mostly web-based using ASP.NET and React.

That idea is awesome haha. I don't know why I haven't looked into getting something like that. I've heard there are alarm clocks that are floor mats you have to stand on for a certain length of time to turn off which might also be interesting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Hey!  Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

I have an idea re: your sleep, that I wanted to share with you.  Why not try going to bed even earlier that that?  Wait - here me out! 

I'm also a night owl, usually coming alive after 8pm, but a while ago I did a challenge to be in bed by 10:30pn with an alarm set on my phone (not actually in bed when the alarm went off = no points).  The logic behind this is that sleep isn't a constant thing.  We all know that we sleep in cycles of deep sleep and REM sleep, but did you know that the length of time you spend in REM sleep (between your deep sleep cycles) gets longer as the night goes on, so the quality of sleep you get in the early part of the night is far greater than towards the morning.  (And its related to the time of night not what time you go to sleep)  In other words, the earlier you go to bed, the less hours of sleep you need to get the same quality of sleep. 

You mentioned that you take a while to get to sleep too which is a sign that you're going to bed at the wrong time.  I used to think that I couldn't get to sleep because I wasn't tired enough but going to bed earlier made me fall asleep faster.  It's certainly made a big difference to me and how refreshed I feel in the morning.  

You could find that going to bed just 30 mins earlier could be all it takes to totally change your sleep quality.  Just a thought. 

Ps. I'm awake at 2:30am because I've been unwell and spent a large part of the evening sleeping on the couch.  Now my body thinks its morning.  Gah!

Thanks Guzzi!

Hmm, I've never heard that before regarding the relationship between the actual time you go to bed and quality of sleep. I've always been of the mindset that sleep is sleep, but the synchronization with your circadian rhythm makes perfect sense. I usually go to bed between 12:00 AM - 1:00 AM so going at 11:00 PM should produce a noticeable result then.

Oh no! I hope you get to feeling better!

• Like 1

Wow, that reply came in while I was actually reading your previous post, lol!  What timing!

Thanks for the well wishes, I had a dose of food poisoning on Sunday butthankfully my belly seems to be ok now, I'm just still exhausted from the lack of sleep/no food for 3 days. :( 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J3NN said:

I started tracking in my Bullet Journal for the last challenge and it made a huge difference to me. I could complete the record in less than 90 seconds, so it wasn't a burden to track it every night. This is what my final looked like. (attached)

That's a really cool idea! I don't think I've ever seen a tracker setup like that before, thank you.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

Wow, that reply came in while I was actually reading your previous post, lol!  What timing!

Thanks for the well wishes, I had a dose of food poisoning on Sunday butthankfully my belly seems to be ok now, I'm just still exhausted from the lack of sleep/no food for 3 days. :( 

Get out of my head! Lol!

Yikes, food poisoning = a bad time. Glad you're feeling better though. The few bouts I've had to deal with were certainly not fun, but luckily only lasted around a day.

• Like 2

Cooking your breakfast the night before sounds like a great plan.  I like to mix up a dozen eggs, some sausage, and whatever vegetables I have on hand in a big casserole dish and bake it.  After I cook it through, I can cut it into portions and store daily servings.  It lasts most of the week for me.  Point is, you can cook more than a day's worth of eggs if you want.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Erick the Red said:

Cooking your breakfast the night before sounds like a great plan.  I like to mix up a dozen eggs, some sausage, and whatever vegetables I have on hand in a big casserole dish and bake it.  After I cook it through, I can cut it into portions and store daily servings.  It lasts most of the week for me.  Point is, you can cook more than a day's worth of eggs if you want.

How do you typically store eggs for longer than overnight? I've not had very good experiences in my attempts.

On 21/04/2017 at 8:23 PM, SirJoshHafer said:

How do you typically store eggs for longer than overnight? I've not had very good experiences in my attempts.

Have you thought about trying some breakfast egg muffins?  I keep mine in a zip-lock bag in the fridge for up to 3 days, or shove some in the freezer and zap them in the micro whenever I need them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Have you thought about trying some breakfast egg muffins?  I keep mine in a zip-lock bag in the fridge for up to 3 days, or shove some in the freezer and zap them in the micro whenever I need them.

I actually have tried those and they were delicious. The problem was they didn't taste so awesome the next day even though I stored them in Tupperware in the refrigerator. I may need to try them in the freezer to see if they keep better for me.

• Like 1

Day 1

Quest 1: Fail

Quest 2: Fail

Quest 3: Rest day

Life Quest: Fail

Many factors played into this rough start. My son woke up in the middle of the night presumably from a nightmare so waking up on time did not happen. His birthday party was also Sunday and in the midst of preparing for it I forgot to prep breakfast. We had a bunch to do after and it was probably 1:00 AM before we finished and got to bed. Needless to say breakfast didn't get made again and I slept late. It's a workout day today though so I'll get back on the rails with tracking it and starting my Android course this evening.

• Like 1

Kiddo nightmares and birthday parties are totally legit reasons to get derailed. I find it so hard to start the challenges off right because Sundays are always a little busy, I'm much more consistent on weekdays.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Plazmotic said:

Kiddo nightmares and birthday parties are totally legit reasons to get derailed. I find it so hard to start the challenges off right because Sundays are always a little busy, I'm much more consistent on weekdays.

I can definitely relate. My weekdays are very routine-oriented but once Friday evening hits all bets are off. I can usually stick to some semblance of a routine on most of Saturday, but come Sunday my willpower is mostly nonexistent.

• Like 1

Congrats on the upcoming wedding! I have zero advice to offer on the sleep/bed front because I'm in the same boat, but it looks like everyone else has that covered. :)

Don't sweat the rough start, these things happen. It's called "life". ;)  The important thing is that you haven't let it derail you, that's a good sign.  Did you know that you can start your challenge on Monday if you want?  Lots of people still prefer to do it that way.  I'm not a fan of the new Sunday start either, I like it to go mon-sun. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fleaball said:

Congrats on the upcoming wedding! I have zero advice to offer on the sleep/bed front because I'm in the same boat, but it looks like everyone else has that covered. :)

Thank you!