Mallorey's Debut 4 Week Challenge

Mallorey

Hey Everyone, this is my first 4 week challenge!

Quest 1: Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go 

Wake up before 7:30 every morning

I actually adore waking up early, and I honestly don't know why I don't do it more consistently. I have plenty of reasons to get up earlier:

• I can call my girlfriend without a rush, since we have a 9 hour time difference, and I can wish her goodnight,
  • I can comfortably eat breakfast, something I find myself skipping all too often,
  • I can prepare a packed lunch, which is healthier AND saves money,
  • I can work out without rushing, which is a great start to the day,
  • It will make me sleep earlier and help with my reckless absence of a sleeping pattern

Quest 2: The Dragon's Hoard
Put €10 in my savings account every Friday

I don't really have a history of being very good with money, and I'm still pretty financially dependent on my mum for rent, and kind of living from paycheck to paycheck for everything else. I need to teach myself how to manage money better, so I've decided to try to put away €10 every Friday to start building up a substantial amount. 

Quest 3: SEVEN
Complete a 7 minute body-weight circuit twice a day

I found an app I like and I want to see if it helps me get in the habit of doing body-weight circuits, also it has a "streak" feature which I'm a sucker for.

Quest 4: Speaking in Tongues

Get 50exp on Duolingo French everyday

I grew up bilingual, and I do live in France as of a year and a half, however my written French leaves a bit to be desired, especially in the grammar department. Considering I am a linguistics student and I do study my course entirely in French, fixing these issues with spelling and grammar should be top priority!

Side Quest: Walk to Mordor 

Keep track of walking distances with my girlfriend

See our Progress here  , we are currently on our way to Rivendell!

• Like 2

I like the simplicity of your quests and definitely relate to your first one. Never have I ever enjoyed the process of waking up early, but when I do and am actually awake I enjoy the day so much more and feel like I have much more time on my hands.

As a linguistics student what do you think of Duolingo? I've considered learning a second language but have never taken that first step outside university-required courses (Spanish).

• Like 2

Thanks Josh, I think the simplicity will help them get done!

4 hours ago, SirJoshHafer said:

As a linguistics student what do you think of Duolingo? I've considered learning a second language but have never taken that first step outside university-required courses (Spanish).

Mwahahaha My area of expertise! I'm actually a qualified and (relatively) experienced EFL (English as a Foreign Language) Teacher. I use Duolingo myself to help some of my beginner students and also students who have issues maintaining practice. I also use it to assign homework since I can keep an eye on student's progress (fantastic with classes).
 From a learner's perspective however:
Pros:

• A wide range of languages to choose from, and getting the taste for them is very easy.
  • Streak feature to help you feel accountable
  • Well structured levelling up system
  • Fast progress, you don't spend forever on the basics
  • Great for vocabulary and basic grammar
  • Supportive community

Cons:

• No real interactive element
  • DUOLINGO CAN NOT TEACH YOU ALONE, I can not stress this enough, you need to be taking notes, reading guides, etc... otherwise your progress is going to plateau real quick and you won't be able to apply what you've learned

That's my twenty two cents :P 

• Like 1

So here we go! 
The plan is to go to bed early tonight, then for tomorrow is get up for 7:30, do my 7 minute circuit, go for my quick jog, shower and be ready for breakfast at 8:30. 
Tomorrow I am also voting for the first time, so that's a little victory for me too. :D 
Then I'm going to get a bus back to my dorm since I've been staying at my parent's for Easter and I needed to be in my commune to vote. 

So here goes nothing, and here comes everything!

• Like 1
On 4/19/2017 at 3:31 PM, Mallorey said:

Thanks Josh, I think the simplicity will help them get done!

Mwahahaha My area of expertise! I'm actually a qualified and (relatively) experienced EFL (English as a Foreign Language) Teacher. I use Duolingo myself to help some of my beginner students and also students who have issues maintaining practice. I also use it to assign homework since I can keep an eye on student's progress (fantastic with classes).
 From a learner's perspective however:
Pros:

• A wide range of languages to choose from, and getting the taste for them is very easy.
  • Streak feature to help you feel accountable
  • Well structured levelling up system
  • Fast progress, you don't spend forever on the basics
  • Great for vocabulary and basic grammar
  • Supportive community

Cons:

• No real interactive element
  • DUOLINGO CAN NOT TEACH YOU ALONE, I can not stress this enough, you need to be taking notes, reading guides, etc... otherwise your progress is going to plateau real quick and you won't be able to apply what you've learned

That's my twenty two cents :P 

Adding to this, it's not always 100% accurate (might depend on the language?). I got my degree in French 6 years ago and use Duolingo sometimes for the hell of it, but it marks me wrong on things I know are right. My roommate spent a year in Turkey studying Turkish and has also taken classes here in the US; she played with the Turkish track when it was released and said it was getting cases and some other grammar points wrong. 

Anyway, this looks like a fabulous challenge, Mallorey. Where are you studying?

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

3 hours ago, fleaball said:

Anyway, this looks like a fabulous challenge, Mallorey. Where are you studying?

I study in Orléans, though I taught in a small town south of Paris for a while :D 

I think one issue with duolingo's accuracy is the attempt to translate literally but also try and make it sound natural in the learner's native language.

Also the Turkish is very new and i think they have to roll out the kinks yet, seeing as the courses are user made it might take a while. My general rule for Duo is it's a great starting place but never a good spot to stay.

• Like 1
On 4/23/2017 at 4:51 PM, Mallorey said:

I study in Orléans, though I taught in a small town south of Paris for a while :D 

I think one issue with duolingo's accuracy is the attempt to translate literally but also try and make it sound natural in the learner's native language.

Also the Turkish is very new and i think they have to roll out the kinks yet, seeing as the courses are user made it might take a while. My general rule for Duo is it's a great starting place but never a good spot to stay.

Fun times. I spent a semester in Chambéry forever ago (east of Lyon). I want to go back to France, but that costs money. One day!

True. I know when Irish came out they didn't have audio for a lot of it. I gave up because it was impossible to remember spellings without knowing what they sounded like. I think they've got it now though. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Totally makes sense. And now I want to start working on it again rawr. 

Totally makes sense. Good luck on the exams!

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

On 2017-04-26 at 8:33 AM, Mallorey said:

I've got exams all week so I've kind of halved my challenge until they're all done, because, well, priorities, am I right?

Aaah! Exams! *hides under a blanket*
I remember those, I wish you the best of luck in your war against them! :) This challenge will be right here when you get back, don't worry.

• Like 2

Rebel Death Knight

Level 3 : Progress [ = _ _ _ ]

Challenges: [4] Current / 3 / 2 / 1

BACK ON TRACK, FAM!

So exams are finally done, I handed in my last assignment yesterday with a huge smile on my face. Got some new groceries (that don't include own brand energy drinks), and went for a 3 mile run!

So now that I'm able to actually commit to my challenges (and sleep) I've been working on my French with Duolingo, and supplementing it with various grammar books that I have, and asking people around me; I mean I am in France I may as well enjoy it.

And the bodyweight circuits are going great, I spent last week doing just one instead of two on account of time and tiredness, but the second one is making me feel great!

With regards to money, I have put away a total of  €70, since I saved a bunch on my rent this month!

And with me and my girlfriend's "Walk to Mordor", we reach our first 100 miles yesterday!

So YAY!

[PS. I just realised I write like a squirrel on a sugar rush :lol:]

• Like 1

Woohooooo congrats on the exams and the progress! 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

2 hours ago, Mallorey said:

[PS. I just realised I write like a squirrel on a sugar rush :lol:]

There is nothing wrong with that :) most of my posts are all over the place as well.

giphy.gif

Congrats on the exam completion and your first 100 miles to Mordor!

• Like 1

Rebel Death Knight

Level 3 : Progress [ = _ _ _ ]

Challenges: [4] Current / 3 / 2 / 1

On 5/11/2017 at 4:34 PM, Hymnusal said:

Hey @Mallorey! How are things going?

Not terribly well, after exams I got sick. I've recovered now, but I'm finding it rather hard to get back on track. :flustered:

That being said I've saved a considerable amount of money this month, and i almost always wake up before 7:30, so I guess with those I've been doing well, but the workout and the french I'm finding it tough to be consistent 

• Like 2