• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

elinox

Elinox’s Beautiful Bonaire Basics

Main Quest

To live a healthy and balanced life by exercising and trying to eat healthy.

My motivation

I eat 1200 calories per day, M-F with blow meals on weekends. It’s been over 2 months since my last challenge and I want to get back into the regiment of it, so I’m back!

I’m going to beautiful Bonaire in May and doing as many as 4-5 scuba dives per day (yes, that’s a lot, even for me!).

I’ve been going to the gym, but it hasn’t been as focused on a particular area since I haven’t done a challenge in awhile. I want to get back into weight lifting but I also want to make sure my cardio is up to par for my trip to Bonaire.

I enjoy doing themed workouts and for this challenge it will be Bonaire, since I’m going there just after this challenge ends.

Smaller Quests

1. Weights

I’ve missed it, so it’s time to lift all the heavy things again. I like it, it makes me feel better about myself and it’s got practical, real-world purposes.

While in Bonaire, I will have extremely physical days since the equipment weighs close to 60 pounds so I need to be in top physical shape. Lifting really helps with this so it’s back to weight lifting!

I hope to lift 2 days per week, slowly increasing the weights.

Scoring: x/5 (1 for each weight achieved)

• Bar Curls: 20lbs → 25lbs
  • Bench Press: 70lbs → 80lbs
  • Squats: 45lbs → 55lbs
  • Shoulder Shrugs: 100lbs → 125lbs
  • Tricep Pullovers: 20lbs → 30lbs

Reward: +5 to STR (+1 for each completed)

2. Dutch

I’m going to Bonaire just after when this challenge ends and one of the native languages spoken there is Dutch (the island is owned by the Netherlands) so I want to try learning this language. I tried Dutch briefly during another challenge and it was really hard so I ended up switching to Spanish instead, hopefully I’ll have better luck this time.

Rather than daily, I’m going to try for 2-3 times per week.  

Scoring: /8

Reward: +4 to WIS

3. Running

I still don’t like running, but even I have to admit that it’s a good workout. And, it actually cuts my time I have to be at the gym down since I work up a sweat much faster. I want to run at least once a week for at least 20 minutes.

Running is a great cardio workout as it gets the lungs and heart pumping. Since diving is such a physical activity, I need to have both in top working order in order to pull off as many dives as I want in a day.

Scoring: x/4

Reward: +3 STA & +3 to DEX

dive bonaire

1 minute ago, miss_marissa said:

I had never heard of Bonaire but it looks awesome! You will be scuba diving while there I assume?

Oh my yes! As much as 4-5 tank dives in a single day! (In Cozumel, my favorite dive place so far, I typically do 2 tank dives per day from a boat, maybe with a third night dive, but not every day.) 

Bonaire is supposed to have the best shore diving in the world, which means that as often as I can get out and refill the tanks I can go back down. :D

On 4/22/2017 at 5:25 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Looks like a fabulous challenge! Any reason the weights are upper body and no lower body? I don't know anything about scuba diving, so I promise I'm not judging, just curious. 

Squats are on there, but there's no back lift.

10 hours ago, Grumble said:

Squats are on there, but there's no back lift.

I'm not focusing on legs because I'm also running for this challenge. I'll likely also do back bends (I'm not sure what they're called?) too though, situps, lateral raises and pull-ups. I'm just not making them part of this challenge. ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Clearly I cannot reading comprehension at 8 am on a Saturday. >.>

And that grammar...

26 minutes ago, elinox said:

I'll likely also do back bends (I'm not sure what they're called?)  

What's the movement?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grumble said:

What's the movement?

I lean my thighs against a padded stand, with my feet back at an angle, then lean over to grasp a barbell on the floor. I then straighten up as if I were standing up. I helps to stretch out my back and also works my abs. 

Just now, elinox said:

Yes! Just with a single barbell, not the bar. 

Back extensions. Makes sense now. Sounds like you're hitting all the back parts. kick ass.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, elinox said:

Weight lifting again today. 

Dutch: 2/8 (15 minutes)

What is the most fun dutch word to say so far? I always had favorites when I studied spanish. 

17 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

What is the most fun dutch word to say so far? I always had favorites when I studied spanish. 

So far, I guess "vrouw" which is simply 'woman'. Dutch sounds similar to German, which I studied years ago, but it's also different enough as to be challenging. That, and the DuoLingo voice for Dutch is often hard to understand what letters he's saying.

Spanish is so much easier by comparison! 

It's been years since I ran a mile to see how long it would take me, so I figured I'd give it a shot today. The last time was likely back in high school and was probably over 15 minutes to complete. 

I just ran a mile in 9:15 minutes!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

How do you feel like the dutch is going? Making good progress? 

Well...it's going? I don't feel that the voice is as easy to understand on DuoLingo as Spanish or even Welsh were which makes it hard to type things out he says audibly. It definitely has a German base, which helps, as I took 2 semesters of German in high school. But it's not really a language I'm familiar with!

Running: 3/4 (21 minutes)

I ran at 4.5 speed this time (usually I run at 4 or 4.2 speed) and for the last, extra minute I cranked it up to 7. 

• Like 1