• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

To everyone that has weighed in ( @RedStone @Emerald_Dragonfly @Grumble @Sam Ashen @MikeWazowski )

giphy.gif

Here's my plan:

Repeat 95# back squat tomorrow and work with wider stances, bracing glutes and core, and pulling lats/elbows down. I'll post an update on how this goes. If I still feel like I can't squat with integrity 3 days/week, I'll look into switching to goblet squats 1 day a week. 

• Like 4

Do you! :)

When I did StrongLifts, I stalled hard at 225 pounds and those were very ugly reps.  Quite honestly, I did not see anything terrible in your video.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sam Ashen said:

Do you! :)

When I did StrongLifts, I stalled hard at 225 pounds and those were very ugly reps.  Quite honestly, I did not see anything terrible in your video.

^^This

Take your time, no need to rush weight progress at the risk of injury.

• Like 2

CHALLENGE ACHIEVEMENT #1: Create a Content Calendar for my Blog

Thar she blows! I have a content outline through the first week of June (before I head to Europe for my not-wedding with my boo <3) I write about what I'm into, and my interests are varied. For example—I am an ex-studio Lulu-loving yoga teacher. Now I teach yoga sometimes for people that don't typically have access to expensive studios and practice for myself. I am also a writer, performer, and marketer. So there isn't really a theme except for "Things Kayla is into."

• Thursday 4/27 (already started this one, so should be an easy win)
    • Why I Stopped Live Tweeting Events
      • My experience at my second Marketing United conference after removing Twitter and Facebook from my phone. I learned a lot more and felt a lot less stressed out.
      • Posted 4/27
  • Thursday 5/4
    • My First Three Months at a "Real Gym"
      • My story of how I started taking cardio/bodypump classes and finding y'all. 
      • The reason: A lot of women look at me funny when I tell them how effective weightlifting has been. They tell me I'm gong to get huge, or all of my muscle will turn to fat when I stop. I'll share some science from my own debunking phase and my own personal experience finding a program that works and mustering up the courage to ask the 'gym-bros' if I can work in. 
  • Thursday 5/11
    • Yoga Sequencing for Weightlifters
  • Thursday 5/18
    • On Morning Routines, Anxiety, and Mindfulness for Non-sages
  • Thursday 5/25
    • Journaling Practices, Bullet Journals (though mine are not as pretty as @RedStone... Maybe we could tag team? :P), and self reflection
      • I went off the deep end re: organization and list making. I think I've struck a good balance for helping me get things done but not becoming so rigid I forget to enjoy myself. 
      • A part of my morning routine is doing a 15 minute freewrite. This takes the pressure off of me to say something profound or 'right' in my writing and just take some time to check in with how I'm feeling. 
  • Thursday 6/1
    • Notes on squats and my own struggles
      • I'm going through this right now, and I'm hoping I'll have some insights to share in a month or so. If not, I'll push this topic and replace with something else.
      • Squats used to hurt my knees and back. I did some messed up things to my knees and lower back in yoga, so I have had to rebuild strength and be mindful of these areas.
      • Squats can help knee pain (assuming your joints are healthy, etc.)
      • Squats can look different
      • Squats help you be a better cycler/runner. I spend a lot of time doing cardio, and squats are giving me the best results.
        • A bike is my main mode of transportation March-November in Chicago. I am so fast and easy since I have been squatting regularly.

• Like 5

I have/had pretty ugly squats. You are leaps and bounds ahead of me. It is a technical thing that takes practice and I have zero doubts that with practice you will get better and better. With your yoga and flexibility work it will all come together in no time!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MaylaKae said:

• Journaling Practices, Bullet Journals (though mine are not as pretty as @RedStone... Maybe we could tag team? :P

Yes please!!!! Now that I'm meal planning online with the mister... I just... don't know what to bujo on a regular basis LOL :( I can use all the inspiration I can get!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedStone said:

Yes please!!!! Now that I'm meal planning online with the mister... I just... don't know what to bujo on a regular basis LOL :( I can use all the inspiration I can get!!!

I can't even figure out how to begin a bullet journal. I get the idea in abstract, but practical application becomes overwhelming.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I can't even figure out how to begin a bullet journal. I get the idea in abstract, but practical application becomes overwhelming.

I have my challenge BuJo and now a garden BuJo. I'm trying to just not pressure myself to have it be "pretty". I figure it can evolve over time. I'm guessing these folks with fabulous BuJo's didn't just wake up one day with magical bullet journal skills, they probably cultivated them over time. 

My garden one is basically a plain journal at this point, kind of like a log with layouts of my garden and lists of plants and varieties and such (no color or drawings), but with BuJo aspirations. I'm hoping that over the course of these year I come with ideas to have it be more fabulous next year. I'll slowly add color and art when I'm ready for that. 

Don't pressure yourself Mr. Grumble. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I'm guessing these folks with fabulous BuJo's didn't just wake up one day with magical bullet journal skills, they probably cultivated them over time. 

I get this also in abstract, but it's like looking at fitstagram stuff, all you see is the end product. And it gets to be too much to take in. TOO MUCH I TELL YOU!

14 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Don't pressure yourself Mr. Grumble. 

Sounds like I'm working on my quest 5 today. :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Oh for sure, that was me too, 100%

A handful of people were kind of encouraging me to start cause lists and notebooks and stuff (you should see my workout logs lmao) but it was just too daunting. I considered it for monnnths, no exaggeration, but it was a literal face to face with @elvenengineer where she wrote things out for me to look at, that gave me something to start with. And even then, my first 10 pages or so were useless :D But I took the attitude of trying to be practical not perfect (I have problems with loosing myself in trying to be "perfect." It's not good) so I was like, fuck it, tape over the bad parts. use the pages for whatever else, and just keep going. It's been evolving ever since! And so far as the style of mine goes, that's just me. I'm a rainbows and color and gum ball machine kind of girl... but I love simple handwriting versions too... my handwriting just isn't perfect enough :P so I hide it behind color and doodles heehee

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RedStone said:

100% right. Or at least it was... now she's gone, gone, GONE! T_T

:( I'm sorry, I miss you! It was awesome when you were an hour-ish drive away *virtual hugs*

@MaylaKae with regards to your squats - in general I agree with everyone that they look really good! Form is something that definitely develops with time.

If you're concerned about your chest coming too far forward (I don't think it's a problem for you now, but since you mentioned it I'll give my $0.02), I had similar issues. Root causes may be different, so grain of salt.

1) my problems with regards to that were actually a limit in my ankle flexibility? so I typically warm up by foam rolling and stretching my calves. If that's something you'd be interested in hearing more about, feel free to DM me, but if you're a yogi I don't know that it would be as much of a problem.

2) I found the cue of 'chest up' to be really helpful, I was thinking of 'straightening my legs' but consciously thinking about raising my chest up really helped me. Also doing bodyweight squats with that focus as a warm up.

• Like 4

@Grumble my bullet journal is super simple and almost all words. I use it to plan my day, keep track of weekly goals, monthly appointments, track goals, and do my morning journaling. I make lists when I need them (packing for trips mostly—groceries and meal plans go on the computer.) The thing that sets the BuJo apart for me is the practice of indexing. It made me use one notebook for everything rather than starting new ones for different things then losing the notebook or just giving up. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, MaylaKae said:

@Grumble my bullet journal is super simple and almost all words. I use it to plan my day, keep track of weekly goals, monthly appointments, track goals, and do my morning journaling. I make lists when I need them (packing for trips mostly—groceries and meal plans go on the computer.) The thing that sets the BuJo apart for me is the practice of indexing. It made me use one notebook for everything rather than starting new ones for different things then losing the notebook or just giving up. 

Hmm, I kinda do that with packing lists on Google Keep already. Maybe I just need more checkboxes. Things to consider...

• Like 2

TUESDAY 4/25/17

• Write weekly blog posts
    • Content calendar complete.
    • Working on first blog post to post Thursday 4/27
  • Finish setting up website
    • Not yet started
  • Hit macros 5/7 days/week
    • 1/7
      • I have redeemed myself!
        • Protein 116/122
        • Carbs 150/152
        • Fat 52/59
        • Calories 1565/1627
  • Complete morning routine 5/7 days per week
    • 2/7
      • Success! Had a relaxed morning and did a lot of reflecting/writing. 
      • Rode my bike 7 miles.
  • Like 2

WEDNESDAY 4/26/17

• Draft is ready. Just need to clean it up before posting on Thursday. 
    • Not yet started
    • 1/7
      • Protein problems... I wan't that far off, but I wouldn't consider it a win.
        • Protein 91/122
        • Carbs 167/152
        • Fat 56/59
        • Calories 1653/1627
      • I went to a networking event afterwork that was really disappointing. There was pizza. I was starving. I also had a glass of wine to help soothe my disappointment. A sub-goal is to find a new job. I have been pretty stagnant for awhile at my company, so I am starting to put feelers out there.
    • 3/7
      • I will give myself a point here, even though I didn't get up at 5:30 for early workout.
      • I woke up at 3:30am and could not get back to sleep until 5:00am. I slept until 6:30.
      • Went to the gym to do Stronglifts B and pushed my journaling practice to make up for the time.
      • I give myself a point because I adjusted my schedule without freaking out and I gave myself the time I needed to sleep.
      • Workout was not the best. I had a tension headache and I was tired. Also got frustrated with my squats.
        • Warmup Squat 5x45#, 5x45#, 5x65#
        • Squat 5/5/3/4/3 95# (one less rep than this weight on Monday)
          • My phone is full of podcasts, so I couldn't take any videos :(
        • OH Press FINALLY CLEARED 50# 5x50
          • This was my third workout at this weight. There are a lot of small muscles in the rotator cuff that keep me from advancing on this. Talked to one of the trainers and I am going to do some shoulder mobility work and work chaturanga and crow yoga poses to keep strengthening those small muscles. I know the movement comes from the lats, but the rotator cuff also needs to be stable. Thoughts?
        • Deadlift 1x3 125 lbs. 
          • Failed this set. I could have done more, but not with a strong back/core. May need to deload to 115# keep my form strong for a week or two. I worry about hurting myself if I can't keep integrity in my form.
        • Assisted pullups 
          • Skipped because I was exhausted AND the machine was broken. I don't have the patience to deal with the bands yet (I need 70lbs of assistance), and I'm not sure if they would have given me the support I needed.
        • Speaking of squats
          • @elvenengineer sent me an awesome list of tests and tips for why I may be bending over so far forward in my squats. <3
            • I was surprised to learn that my ankle mobility is pretty limited.
            • I don't think it is a bony block, but my calves are definitely tight (despite practicing yoga. There is no cure all for anything, folks!)
            • I will add 2 days a week of mobility to my workouts (yoga, mobility exercises for ankles and shoulders)
            • Foam roll every damn day
            • Test and learn and test some more
      • I've been at this program for almost 30 days. The initial gains were quick and super rewarding for my type A- personality. But here is where the rubber meets the road. I need to treat myself like an athlete, take the best care of myself (including TLC and patience), and put the work in.
        • giphy.gif

• Like 4

CHALLENGE UPDATE

Blog post #1 is published.

Thar she blows.

It's about Twitter, lame marketing conferences, the evolution of cell phones (and how our brains can't keep up), and mindfulness.

Please excuse unlicensed images and generic content. Those updates are coming soon. :-)

• Like 6

10 hours ago, MaylaKae said:

CHALLENGE UPDATE

Blog post #1 is published.

Thar she blows.

It's about Twitter, lame marketing conferences, the evolution of cell phones (and how our brains can't keep up), and mindfulness.

Please excuse unlicensed images and generic content. Those updates are coming soon. :-)

Aw yeah, gettin it! High five. Distractions man. I've had my ringer on this week cause important calls, and it's already well out of my comfort zone... and FWIW... the only thing I ever live tweeted was while I watched Sharknado. Because THE WORLD NEEDED TO KNOW :D 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

THURSDAY 4/27/17

• Posted last night (at 9:30pm... just in time for bed. XD) 
    • Not yet started
    • 2/7
      • Just made it at the nick of time with some casein powder in whole milk. It was so good. (I usually mix with almond milk or in a smoothie.)
        • Protein 121/122
        • Carbs 142/152
        • Fat 49/59
        • Calories 1487/1627
    • 4/7
      • Success
        • Finally felt caught up on personal things and work since being out of town last week. 
        • Did some ankle mobility and shoulder work this afternoon

37 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Aw yeah, gettin it! High five. Distractions man. I've had my ringer on this week cause important calls, and it's already well out of my comfort zone... and FWIW... the only thing I ever live tweeted was while I watched Sharknado. Because THE WORLD NEEDED TO KNOW :D 

giphy.gif

Sharknado is a must share and is an exception to all 'rules'. They made 4 of them?! (of course they did!)

giphy.gif

FRIDAY 4/28/17

• Gotta get tickling on those keys. I have quite a few things due next week. (in addition to the sales landing pages and emails I write for my day-job)
      • Weekly blog post (Thursday)
      • Draft of solo performance piece for rehearsal (Monday)
      • Your Uncle Richard Prompt (unknown until they send it to me tomorrow. Probably due Wednesday or Thursday.)
      • giphy.gif
    • Not yet started
    • 3/7
      • I'm giving myself a point. Protein has been killing me, so I tried to make a shake with two scoops of casein powder. Halfway in I thought I was going to die. This is to make sure I am making good choices, not to make eating unenjoyable. I have food logs in my Daily Battle Log if anyone wants to take a peep. I am usually low on fat and protein. Carbs are no problem, of course. :-P
      • Despite not following this to the T every single day, I have been counting macros since 4/13, which is just over 2 weeks. I have been feeling stronger in my workouts and my energy levels have been better overall. I also feel less stress about having a beer with friends. I can plan to make one or two fit in my macros that day, and it keeps me limited. 
      • My lifestyle differs from many of my friends, which makes it hard. I work 8am-5ish M-F and many of them are in the service industry and work nights. Monday rehearsals are bonded by a beer or two, and we like to try new brew pubs etc. on the weekends. This used to stress me out, but I can see there is a more balanced approach. I tend to think "All or Nothing" when I feel overwhelmed, but this system helps me see options for both nourishing myself and enjoying food and social activities. 
      • I really need to find more (girl)friends that lift IRL, tho. I have guest passes. :-) 
        • Protein 90/122
        • Carbs 149/152
        • Fat 58/59
        • Calories 1472/1627
    • 5/7
      • Success!
        • With a twist
          • I got up on time, but after a bad workout on Wednesday (tired, not yet had a full meal.), I decided to shift some things around.
            • I wrote for awhile in the morning
            • Had an early work meeting, so started early
            • After the work meeting I went to the gym (11-12:30ish)
              • It was pretty empty and I felt really present because I wasn't worried about claiming a rack or navigating around other people
              • I had also already digested a hearty breakfast and a snack, so I was feeling grounded and strong
            • The workout: StrongLifts 5x5 A with another twist
              • Mobility work with calves/ankles
              • Goblet Squats
              • 2x5 squats @ 45#'s
              • 1x5 squat @ 65#'s
              • 3x5 squat @ 95#'s
                • Going forward my heaviest squat will be 3x5 rather than 5x5
                  • I felt OK here, but will repeat 95#'s for one more workout (Monday)
                  • Hip flexors and some obscure and tiny core muscles about my left pelvic rim get sore after squats. Anyone else experience this?
              • 5x5 bench press @ 60#'s 
                • Forgot to do @miss_marissa's challenge AGAIN. Maybe I'll try again Monday at the end of my typical workout. 
              • 5x5 barbell row @ 70#'s 
                • On safety bars to give me some height 
  • Like 3