• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WEDNESDAY 5/3

• Write weekly blog posts
    • Three writing pieces due this week
      • Thursday- blog post My First Three Months at a "Real" Gym Got an outline. Should publish today. 
      • Saturday- Your Uncle Richard piece. Worked on this more than my blog post. The creative bug bit, so I got into it...
  • Finish setting up website
    • Loaded a new template. Should finish customization this weekend.
  • Hit macros 5/7 days/week
    • 1/7
      • I pre-planned, but then bae brought home some popcorn so... carbs got out of control.
        • Protein: 130/122
        • Carbs: 187/152
        • Fat: 63/59
        • Calories: 1802/1627
  • Complete morning routine 5/7 days per week
    • 2/7
      • I've been light on meetings this week, so I have more time in the morning. 

WORKOUT:

StrongLifts 5x5 A
  • Warmup
    • Mobility work on ankles/calves
    • 25lb Goblet Squat (1x5)
  • Squats 3x5 @ 100lbs YESSSS! 
  • Bench Press
    • 1x3 @ 65lbs Was cleared to move to this weight, but it was too heavy. I got stuck under the bar and it took awhile for someone to see me and help me out. I'm ok, but I think I am feeling less confident about bench pressing solo. Most people are working out alone in headphones, and I don't know I can always get someone to spot me. Damn hipsters.
    • 4/3/4/4 @ 60lbs 
  • Barbell Row 5x5 @ 75# 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, MaylaKae said:

1x3 @ 65lbs Was cleared to move to this weight, but it was too heavy. I got stuck under the bar and it took awhile for someone to see me and help me out. I'm ok, but I think I am feeling less confident about bench pressing solo. Most people are working out alone in headphones, and I don't know I can always get someone to spot me. Damn hipsters.

From someone who works out with headphones mostly so other people won't talk to me: asking for a spot is a totally reasonable thing to bother someone wearing headphones about.

See also: how many sets do you have left, are you done with the squat rack :) 

You may get an occasional jerk who disagrees, but there are jerks everywhere. Unfortunately.

Also, asking for spots is a good way to make gym friends!!

Use your 20s of courage!  You can do the thing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

From someone who works out with headphones mostly so other people won't talk to me: asking for a spot is a totally reasonable thing to bother someone wearing headphones about.

See also: how many sets do you have left, are you done with the squat rack :) 

QFT

11 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

You may get an occasional jerk who disagrees, but there are jerks everywhere. Unfortunately.

Also, asking for spots is a good way to make gym friends!!

Use your 20s of courage!  You can do the thing.

I had a dude tell me he didn't know HOW to spot. I didn't know how to respond to that.

I've done it enough now that other regulars at my ouncodly time are starting to ask me to spot them. It's a weird dynamic. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I had a dude tell me he didn't know HOW to spot. I didn't know how to respond to that.

Um, if the bar goes down after I've started to push it up, or if it doesn't move for >2s, grab it and help me get it reracked....?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

Um, if the bar goes down after I've started to push it up, or if it doesn't move for >2s, grab it and help me get it reracked....?

No no no, that can't be it. Makes too much sense.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MaylaKae said:

Actually, instead of quietly lamenting, I should write them. I pay enough to go there, and there is obviously a demand for barbell equipment. Maybe I'll see how they feel about starting a weekly barbell club or a group training program. I just can't afford a box and gym membership right now (and it would be a waste of money if I could afford both.)

Honestly, you pay a membership, and curling in the squat rack is absolutely misuse of equipment. If you see someone doing it, and you don't feel comfortable saying something to them directly, you can always mention it politely to a floor trainer, or voice a concern at the gym, maybe they can put up a friendly reminder. Yes, it's the butt of our jokes, but really it's super bad form and incredibly inconsiderate. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RedStone said:

Honestly, you pay a membership, and curling in the squat rack is absolutely misuse of equipment. If you see someone doing it, and you don't feel comfortable saying something to them directly, you can always mention it politely to a floor trainer, or voice a concern at the gym, maybe they can put up a friendly reminder. Yes, it's the butt of our jokes, but really it's super bad form and incredibly inconsiderate. 

I always want to walk up to them and say "Hey, can I squat in this rack? Surely you are strong enough to pick that bar up off the ground before your curl it?" all innocent like. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I always want to walk up to them and say "Hey, can I squat in this rack? Surely you are strong enough to pick that bar up off the ground before your curl it?" all innocent like. 

DO ITTTTTT

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I feel like you if do this it should be recorded. For the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

I feel like you if do this it should be recorded. For the future.

Haha. Heard. Thx y'all. Feeling emboldened and not gonna take any crap (and it's ok to ask for help)

Unfortunately, my gym doesn't have any floor trainers. :( I chose the wrong gym, and I got locked in until Feb 2018. #n00bproblems

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MaylaKae said:

Haha. Heard. Thx y'all. Feeling emboldened and not gonna take any crap (and it's ok to ask for help)

Unfortunately, my gym doesn't have any floor trainers. :( I chose the wrong gym, and I got locked in until Feb 2018. #n00bproblems

I *cough* may have done the same thing :( Not just a newb mistake!

You may want to ask them if there would be a fee to just break the contract? Sometimes that can work (even if it's money up front, it can be cheaper than continuing). Otherwise yeah, I'd ask them for anything you want. If they're gonna lock people in, they should be ready to fulfill requests to keep their members happy.

I'm grumpy because I moved to MI and the closest one of the chain is 23 miles from me, but they won't let me break it unless the nearest one is >25 miles from me - I am NOT driving 23 miles to go to the gym. So mine are unreasonable, but hopefully yours won't be! Mine is also pretty cheap, so it isn't a break the bank type place. But it is preventing me from having two gyms here, which is ideally what I would like.

• Like 1

THURSDAY 5/4

• Three writing pieces due this week
      • Thursday- blog post My First Three Months at a "Real" Gym Almost ready! (Friday.) I'll knock off 10% for each day it is late (like my high school english teacher...)
      • Saturday- Your Uncle Richard piece. But I got this done! All the things, just not in the order I planned. :-) I'll share the link when the admins post it. 
  • Finish setting up website
    • I'm going to extend this deadline to 5/21. I have a conference this week in Austin (Monday-Weds) and I want to relax and enjoy my weekend before I head into 14+ hour days.
    • 2/7
      • This was truly a miracle. I had two beers and some chocolate. I'm taking the win. 
        • Protein: 122/122
        • Carbs: 167/152
        • Fat: 66/59
        • Calories: 1764/1627
    • 3/7

WORKOUT:

Rest day. Walked the dog. I don't think I've shared this on here before, but he has a type of lupus that affects his skin. We found this out in March and we have started treatment. Treatment is a long run of Doxycycline and Niacinimide (a supplement), and it takes a long time to work. He was on mild steroids to keep the lesions under control, but he is off those now. The vet wanted to see how he did.

Well, he is not doing well. The vet gave us a topical treatment for the lesions (which are now all around his eyes, nose, chin, and in his ears), but it keeps spreading. Fingers crossed he calls me back and we can get him back on the steroids. I know it is not a permanent solution to his condition, but he is in so much discomfort. He has little interest in our usual long walks and isn't eating much right now. It makes me so sad. :(

FRIDAY 5/5/2017

• Running late on My First Three Months at a "Real" Gym Almost ready! (Friday.) I'll knock off 10% for each day it is late (like my high school english teacher...)
  • Finish setting up website In progress
    • 3/7
      • I am going to give this to myself. It was Cinco de Mayo, dangit. 
        • Protein: 130/122
        • Carbs: 181/152
        • Fat: 46/59
        • Calories: 1587/1627
    • 3/7

WORKOUT:

StrongLifts 5x5 B

• Warmup squat/ankle mobility work. 
  • Squats 5x5 @ 100# First full 5x5 of triple digits!
  • Overhead press 4/4/3/3/4 @ 55#
  • Deadlift 1x2 @ 135# Got those 45's!!!
  • Assisted pull ups (70lbs) 3x5
  • Like 2

SATURDAY 5/6/2017

WEEK 2 REFLECTION 

• Running late on My First Three Months at a "Real" Gym Almost ready! (Friday.) I'll knock off 10% for each day it is late (like my high school english teacher...)
      • I still haven't posted it (on Sunday as I write this), so I am going to have to give myself a 0% for this week. 
    • Your Uncle Richard complete and turned in a day early... 100%
    • 3/7
      • Yikes... Hung out with friends all day and ate out.
        • Calories: 1890/1627
        • Fat: 94/59
        • Carbs: 178/152
        • Protein: 86/122
    • 3 out of 5 days total = 60% for week 2
    • 3/7- Didn't do it Saturday AM
    • 3 out of 5 days total = 60% for week 2

Week 2 average = 55%. FAIL. I guess this is when people say they're 'respawning'? 

giphy.gif

SUNDAY 5/7/2017

Week 3 begins!

It is going to be nuts! Another conference with bad food Monday-Wednesday. Another city I don't know too well (but love to explore.) @spezzy I'm coming to Austin! I am staying downtown (on 2nd street). I already have plans to visit SoCo (There's a laser cat shirt calling my name at Triple Z Threads), but where can I get a good food downtown? Conference breakfast is always pastries and sugar-yogurt. :( 

• Running late on My First Three Months at a "Real" Gym I am going to finish this and post tomorrow. I am headed to Austin for a work conference, so I should have lots of down time in transit. 
    • Going to be difficult to meet my deadline for my Morning Routine blog post. I am going to give myself until Friday before bedtime to finish this. 
    • 1/7
      • Starting the week strong. And I enjoyed a beer with bae before I leave for three days.
        • Protein 130/122
        • Carbs 153/152
        • Fat 63/59
        • Calories 1677/1627
    • 0/7 Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

WORKOUT

Stronglifts 5x5 A

I've been over on my macros the last few days, but boy am I feeling strong. I think I am almost done with deficit mode (still trying to lose another inch or two.) Also, when I died on bench press (Wednesday), I was on the heaviest day of my period, and that's finishing up and I'm feeling better.

• Squats 3x5 @ 105#
  • Bench Press 5x5 @ 60#
  • Barbell Row 5x5 @ 80# 
  • Incline Pushups 6/5/6

Hiked 3-ish miles at a nearby forest preserve with friends. We brought the pooch, and he had a big time and was feeling good. :-) (My dog has lupus and has been touch and go the past few weeks, see previous post for the full spiel.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaylaKae said:

SATURDAY 5/6/2017

WEEK 2 REFLECTION 

Week 2 average = 55%. FAIL. I guess this is when people say they're 'respawning'? 

I wouldn't say a fail because this happened!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blocky said:

I wouldn't say a fail because this happened!

Truth. I guess the mistake was that I didn't make any gainz goalz... It is all about food and writing this round. It is hard to have physical goals when I have no understanding of how quickly (or slowly) I am progressing or what I am capable of.

giphy.gif

If you told me six weeks ago that I was going to be deadlifting 135# and squatting 100#, I would say you are insane. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MaylaKae said:

WORKOUT

Stronglifts 5x5 A

I've been over on my macros the last few days, but boy am I feeling strong. I think I am almost done with deficit mode (still trying to lose another inch or two.) Also, when I died on bench press (Wednesday), I was on the heaviest day of my period, and that's finishing up and I'm feeling better.

• Squats 3x5 @ 105#
  • Bench Press 5x5 @ 60#
  • Barbell Row 5x5 @ 80# 
  • Incline Pushups 6/5/6

Hiked 3-ish miles at a nearby forest preserve with friends. We brought the pooch, and he had a big time and was feeling good. :-) (My dog has lupus and has been touch and go the past few weeks, see previous post for the full spiel.) 

I'm way behind on your challenge but strong = fabulous! 

Jealous of the hike. I was supposed to do one yesterday but we didn't get back into town until late. I'm glad your doggo had a good time. :)

• Like 1

You are doing pretty awesome I'd say. It totes looked like you could've had more reps at that 135# (from the video at least!)

13 hours ago, MaylaKae said:

It is going to be nuts! Another conference with bad food Monday-Wednesday. Another city I don't know too well (but love to explore.) @spezzy I'm coming to Austin! I am staying downtown (on 2nd street). I already have plans to visit SoCo (There's a laser cat shirt calling my name at Triple Z Threads), but where can I get a good food downtown? Conference breakfast is always pastries and sugar-yogurt.

BREAKFAST TACOS!!!!! Or really any tex mex. Like, seriously. Go get some. There are places that sell them everywhere, and they're usually full of eggs and other protein goodness. As long as you aren't strict paleo, which I don't think you are?

I miss breakfast tacos. That's the only thing I don't like about MI so far - the Mexican is VERY disappointing. I make breakfast tacos at home decently often though :) not as good as Austin ones though.

Specific recs: Torchy's Tacos, Lupe's Tortialla, Ninfas, Chuy's

Torchy's specifically for breakfast tacos, the others are just generally good tex-mex. And I'm not sure if they're all still in Austin.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, elvenengineer said:

You are doing pretty awesome I'd say. It totes looked like you could've had more reps at that 135# (from the video at least!)

BREAKFAST TACOS!!!!! Or really any tex mex. Like, seriously. Go get some. There are places that sell them everywhere, and they're usually full of eggs and other protein goodness. As long as you aren't strict paleo, which I don't think you are?

I miss breakfast tacos. That's the only thing I don't like about MI so far - the Mexican is VERY disappointing. I make breakfast tacos at home decently often though :) not as good as Austin ones though.

Specific recs: Torchy's Tacos, Lupe's Tortialla, Ninfas, Chuy's

Torchy's specifically for breakfast tacos, the others are just generally good tex-mex. And I'm not sure if they're all still in Austin.

OMG I forgot that breakfast tacos aren't a thing everywhere!!!!! Second Torchy's, haven't tried the other places. Just don't do Taco Cabana except as a last resort, there are better options.'

ETA: Also, huzzah on the gainz!!! I got so excited about breakfast tacos I forgot to comment on the lifting.

• Like 4

On 5/7/2017 at 9:14 PM, MaylaKae said:

If you told me six weeks ago that I was going to be deadlifting 135# and squatting 100#, I would say you are insane. 

Newbie gains are insane!  Keep at it! :D

• Like 2

On 5/8/2017 at 9:41 AM, elvenengineer said:

I am not strict paleo. Just tracking macros. Last night I ate fish tacos at a place called Nova and they were straight from heaven. I also had a glass of prosecco in a shipping container. AUSTIN IS AMAZING! 

Breakfast tacos will be the first thing on my list tomorrow morning. I had too much prosecco wining/dining w/ clients and I woke up late. Conference life is rough, man! (First world problems.)

I think instead of trying to sort my macros out day by day, I am going to give one big shit-show update on Thursday. Yesterday was not a good macro day, but I don't have any clients to entertain tonight, so I should have a bit more control over my food environment. 

12 hours ago, Sam Ashen said:

Newbie gains are insane!  Keep at it! :D

I don't want them to end, but I know I will start to need more time between gains. 

• Like 1

Just now, MaylaKae said:

I don't want them to end, but I know I will start to need more time between gains. 

I just thought of something you might enjoy reading, so I am going to leave this right here:

• Like 1