• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

2 hours ago, RedStone said:

But IMO, addressing imbalances and weaknesses is much more effective in the beginning than getting lost in the weeds of gender specific training. YES, there are differences, in geometry, physiology and chemistry, which is huge. In the beginning it really is just time under the bar with PL rep/set range, and doing a simple program will indeed give you that. Doing one that speaks to you and you enjoy will keep you going.  

Heard. I attended a kettlebell workshop yesterday and learned TURKISH GETUPS. I have been oogling at these for awhile, but was afraid to try them on my own. I think this is a great assistance exercise to help address me shoulder strength and hip stability.

I am still progressing with 5x5 (with the exception of OH press, which I should perhaps replace with DB press per your suggestion). However, the end of this program is near (I am on week 7 of 12 AND leaving for Europe in a few weeks.) I feel like I should finish out Stronglifts while perhaps modifying OH press and incorporating some notes from Starting Strength.

When I return, I could start on Starting Strength if that seems like the best path forward. I will likely be doing very little/no barbell training for the three weeks I am away in June. This will be a good time to play with bodyweight exercises and just take a break.

2 hours ago, RedStone said:

Being in school is a very peaceful and rewarding experience. Except for the debt. That was a deal breaker for me, and the primary reason I did cert instead.

I agree! School makes me feel so focused and purposeful. I have yet to translate that feeling into my post-BA life, though. I am still paying off my BA, which is why taking on more debt makes me cringe. I think I could make post bacc classes work while still making an income, but the masters program would be a different story. But I have time to meditate on the best options. For now I will keep teaching my yoga classes and learning about strength training. Those are my happy places. 

Speaking of resources—the kettlebell workshop trainer told me about a website called StrongFirst. They have some great resources and some certification courses. Anyone have experience with them?

3 hours ago, RedStone said:

Pop tart rainbow cat makes me smile. I am pleased to have made it this far and feel justly rewarded...

I'm not sure that gif is just payment for your help and thoughts. but I am glad it made you smile. :-) I found an adventure time version for you! 

giphy.gif

• Like 4

SATURDAY 5/13/2017

WEEK 3 REFLECTION 

• Write weekly blog posts
    • HAHA! Still hasn't happened. My first few month fitness reflection is becoming like personal therapy. I am still trying to figure out what about this I should tell others. I have time to do some more editing this afternoon. If anything, this topic has been a helpful point of self reflection. 
    • 0 blog posts shared = 0% for week 3
  • Finish setting up website In progress
  • Hit macros 5/7 days/week
    • 1/7
      • I'm not tracking yesterday. I was out all day at a festival, then I worked a fundraiser, then went dancing. I had 4 beers, which is like all the carbs. But I had a great time. :-)
    • 1 out of 5 days total = 20% for week 3
  • Complete morning routine 5/7 days per week
    • 0/7
    • Not including this for the final week of the challenge. 

Week 3 average = 10%

Conclusion: Work travel sucks for meal planning/macros/writing (and pretty much everything that is important to me). Tracking macros has become tedious after 5 weeks (but I have gotten the best results while tracking macros. :( ) Hopefully the pendulum can swing more toward a happy medium next week. 

• Like 2

Catch Up Post Sunday 5/14 - Tuesday 5/16

Health Update

I hit the rest button. Mother's Day was difficult for me and my trip to Europe is coming up quick. We are trying to get things squared away with that, my dog, a bunch of weddings coming up, and just life in general. I think I am handling my anxiety better than I have in the past, but I am on the edge of burnout. Just taking things a day at a time and remembering what I want and what I need to accomplish (for myself)

Yesterday (Tuesday) I woke up feeling like I was either having intense allergies or a cold. I woke up today (Wednesday) feeling like I got hit by a bus, so I am going to say it's a cold. Skipping today's (Wednesday) workout for some juice, tea, and R&R (still working though...).

Writing Update

I had a great rehearsal on Monday (show is Saturday 5/27). I picked which piece I want to do. Now I need to edit and memorize it for next Monday's rehearsal (5/22). I am writing, just behind on blog posts.

Macros Update

I haven't been tracking my macros this week. I know I am under eating because I have been stressed and not feeling well. Scale says 142, which is a 3# lost since I checked a week or so ago. That's fine. I don't really know what I should weigh. I think if I start competing, I would want to aim for the 148 weight class, but that is months away. I am eating meal-plan food that is healthy and mostly lean protein/vegetables. That's ok for right now. But I have been drinking more since Austin, which are not helpful calories. A bunch of people want to hang out before I leave in June, and the go-to date is cocktails. I should probably assert myself a bit more and opt for coffee instead. 

Workout Update

I bought Starting Strength and it is pretty sweet. I am still on squats. On Monday I played around with low bar squats. I think I placed the bar too high, because I am really sore above the spine of the scapula. The bar should be placed below. I will try again next workout.

Despite the bar maybe not being in the right place, I did feel a lot more power from my glutes/hamstrings and I was almost ass to grass with no problems. I started with the empty bar and loaded up to 85#, which is a 30# de-load. That's ok, because I am getting closer to proper form. However, the bar started to feel unsteady at that weight and I had some wrist pain. I think it is a bar placement/shoulder mobility issue. I'll keep working on it. 

I also got some serious floaters during squats on Monday. I was seeing stars and gray and kind of panicked. I googled it (as one does) and saw this happens to a lot of people doing strenuous exercise. I rested for 10-15 minutes and then had no more problems. 

Bench press was smooth at 65#. Rows were heavy at 85#, but went well. Felt it the next day. I will miss this exercise when I switch to the SS program. 

Squats

2x5x45#

1x5x65#

5x5x85#

Bench Press

5x5x65#

Barbell Row

5x5x85#

16 incline pushups (hands on bench. Less and less of an incline. :-))

Now off to y'alls challenges to catch up and sprinkle some encouragement where needed.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Or you can sprinkle glitter...

Image result for glitter gif

Image result for glitter gif

Take it easy, don't burn out, and be nice to yourself! It's been a hard week for a lot of us I think. *virtual hugs*

As far as the seeing spots... Could be because you are not eating enough?  I know I start getting that and lightheaded whenever I'm low on calories and I try to lift heavy.

• Like 2

That could be it. I had some oatmeal and an egg before gym time, though... That seems like a good breakfast. But maybe I waited too long after eating? Or maybe it was the cold virus setting in? I didn't feel light headed, my vision was just weird. I don't know if you've ever done psychedelic mushrooms (I went to art school, so it was pretty much a semester credit...), but it was kind of like that. I guess blood pressure changes can upset the goo in your eyes and make the floaters start floatin'.

My cold reimagined (which is bringing me much joy!)

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 5/17/2017 at 1:42 PM, MaylaKae said:

My cold reimagined (which is bringing me much joy!)

giphy.gif

1: this is amazing. 

2: I've gotten floaters during strenuous activity in and out of the gym. Considering being low on macros, it could just be a response to the physical stress, even at a de-load, or a drop in blood pressure, or even the position of the bar on your back. It does indeed happen, but I would just keep an *eye* :abnormal: out for reoccurrences and patterns.

• Like 3

I get light headed/floaters if I hold my breath too long. For what that is worth. Do you breathe between reps? 

It won't let me add a quote to my edit, but I was going to add that it is to do with blood pressure changes like you said, when I'm holding my breath. Or if I bend over too long because I have blood flow issues to my head, lol. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I get light headed/floaters if I hold my breath too long. For what that is worth. Do you breathe between reps? 

It won't let me add a quote to my edit, but I was going to add that it is to do with blood pressure changes like you said, when I'm holding my breath. Or if I bend over too long because I have blood flow issues to my head, lol. 

I think I was holding my breath harder than usual and there was a lot of pressure on my back that was pretty uncomfortable. I hold my breath at the top of the squat and through the bottom. If the rep is difficult, I may exhale a bit on the way up. I always take a new breath before the next rep. I may have been straining more than usual because of the new bar position.

I am feeling better today, and plan to get back to the gym this afternoon. I have a new toolbox for squats and OH press a-la Starting Strength, so more things to experiment with.

giphy.gif?response_id=591ef53fb7c5c79231

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaylaKae said:

I am feeling better today, and plan to get back to the gym this afternoon. I have a new toolbox for squats and OH press a-la Starting Strength, so more things to experiment with.

giphy.gif?response_id=591ef53fb7c5c79231

I found that book really helpful! I won it and Practical Programming. But I haven't read a lot of PP yet. I put that on the back burner (lol) when I started getting coached. I should start re-reading parts of SS because I feel like I could use a refresher. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I found that book really helpful! I won it and Practical Programming. But I haven't read a lot of PP yet. I put that on the back burner (lol) when I started getting coached. I should start re-reading parts of SS because I feel like I could use a refresher. 

It is very technical. I am totally geeking out, but I need to pace myself. I have found it easiest to read a chapter about one movement, implement the movement, and then go on the the next exercise. Patience is a good virtue for me to work with. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MaylaKae said:

It is very technical. I am totally geeking out, but I need to pace myself. I have found it easiest to read a chapter about one movement, implement the movement, and then go on the the next exercise. Patience is a good virtue for me to work with. 

Yeah, it's a lot to digest and apply to your lifts. It feels like the kind of thing to go back to from time to time as a reference, rather than read once and never pick back up again. 

Some of it was more technical than i really needed. PP is even more so like that, especially at the beginning. So I am learning to skim the less useful parts. I'm not trying to be a physiological expert! just lift with a mechanical advantage. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MaylaKae said:

I did basically this process as well when I was reading through Starting Strength - I should probably revisit some of the chapters again for details I wasn't able to implement the first time around.

• Like 1

WEDNESDAY 5/17 & THURSDAY 5/18

• Write weekly blog posts
    • This is the last week of the challenge, and I need to get real with priorities and what I can accomplish.
    • I need to finish editing and memorize a piece by Monday. About 40% of the way there.
    • Going forward, I think an every-other-week content calendar is more realistic for my blog—especially when I am in rehearsal.
  • Finish setting up website
    • I made some progress this challenge, but I won't be able to finish before Saturday 5/20.
    • I am on track to finish this before I leave for my trip on 6/6.
  • Hit macros 5/7 days/week
    • I just got back to tracking on Thursday. Was a bit under, but getting my appetite back. 
      • Protein 123/122
      • Carbs 112/152
      • Fat 57/59
      • Calories 1455/1627
    • I was sick with a cold Tuesday and Wednesday, and just overwhelmed and over it on 5/13 and 5/15. 
  • No workouts Wednesday or Thursday

MY PLAN TO FINISH STRONG

• Get back to eating enough to nourish my body and lift strong.
  • Don't take on anymore plans between now and my trip on 6/6.
  • Write a little bit every damn day. Remember it is good for my soul.
  • Make time to lift three days a week. Writing and lifting support everything else.
  • Like 2

FRIDAY 5/19

Writing

• Finished editing my piece. Now I just need to memorize!

Macros

• I did it! Feeling much better and ate the food to support me. I am going to switch macros to be equal to my activity after this weekend to see how that effects my lifts. Yeah, I want to lose fat, but I feel like I may be depleting myself a bit by continuing this deficit. 
  • Protein 126/122
  • Carbs 129/152
  • Fat 62/59
  • Calories 1538/1627

Workout

• Feeling a little lost here and took it easy because I just got over a cold.
  • Played around with low bar squat and had wrist pain and spots in vision again. Either my shoulders are too inflexible (which I do not think is the case) or I am placing the bar too low. I came home and watched some YouTube videos re: bar placement, and I think I am putting the bar too low. I will try placing it higher and keeping the elbows out so I don't put pressure on my wrist. I think the pain makes me not breathe and then I see the spots.
    • BW w/ PVC dowel
    • 2x5 @ 45#
    • 1x5 @ 65#
    • Switched to high bar and did 1x5 @ 90# not feelin' it.
  • Re-learning overhead press. New grip and arm position are strange. It all feels too close together. I need to revisit that section of Starting Strength. However I am feeling the hip drive and feel more aligned at the top.
    • 1x5 @ 45#
    • 2x4 @ 55#
    • 2x5 @ 50#
  • Deadlift
    • 1x5 @ 115# on pins
    • Felt good. I haven't read this section of the book yet, so who knows where I'll end up. :-P
  • Banded pull-ups 3x5
  • Goblet Squats 3x5 @ 12kg

Now off to bed nice and early. Teaching yoga in the morning (for the first time in a few months. We're doing hips and shoulders because... well... that's what I want to do. XD)

giphy.gif?response_id=591f95174e201c58d7

I can't believe this is the last day of the challenge! :( 

Time for a glass of wine and some reflection...

Firstly- Here is that blog post that was due two weeks ago. This took awhile and got REAL personal. I hope it ended up in a place where it is a useful story for other powerlifting newbies. I will continue to blog about this as things develop. Next up is macros and moving from Stronglifts to Starting Strength. But first...

I will miss y'all next challenge. I will stay with the Warriors for sure, but I am heading to Europe for the month of June. I'll pop in and sprinkle some fairy dust where needed.

giphy.gif?response_id=5920b435d5bf9a6159

CHALLENGE #2 RETROSPECTIVE

Goal One: Write weekly blog posts

What did you do to help your success?

I created a content calendar with pre-planned topics

What would you do differently next challenge?

I overestimated my ability to write a blog post per week. I would shift this to every other week for the next challenge.

Goal One Grade

50%

Continue this goal next challenge?

Yes

Goal Two

Finish setting up website

I set a deadline.

I did not break this goal into specific steps. My site still doesn't feel finished, and I am unsure about what else I need to do. I really need to sit down and think about that.

Goal Two Grade

30%

No, I am no longer continuing to work on this goal.

Goal Three

Hit macros 5/7 days/week

I set a quantifiable goal and gave myself some wiggle room.

Nothing, but work travel really set me back. When I can't plan meals, I go totally off track.

Goal Three Grade

60%

Yes

Goal Four

Complete morning routine 5/7 days per week

I set a quantifiable goal and gave myself some wiggle room.

Give myself a bit more wiggle room. My free time is more fluid, and getting up early can be a stressor. I traveled a lot during this challenge, so that also threw a wrench in the works. I think rather than being rigid about the routine, I need to work on making the core of what happens in this time a priority (writing and workouts), which I have been pretty consistent with.

Goal Four Grade

50%- stopped tracking halfway through

No, I am no longer continuing to work on this goal.

Final Overall Challenge Grade

47.5%

Any other notes / comments / things to remember

I set the bar way too high for this one. I need to stay more focused next time and be more realistic about my time.

• Like 1

On 05/19/2017 at 9:42 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

On 05/19/2017 at 9:48 AM, MaylaKae said:

On 05/19/2017 at 11:03 AM, MikeWazowski said:

I did basically this process as well when I was reading through Starting Strength - I should probably revisit some of the chapters again for details I wasn't able to implement the first time around.

So, this totally sounds like we should do a PvP book club re-reading SS next challenge!!!

ETA: or the one after, cuz someone is traveling!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

So, this totally sounds like we should do a PvP book club re-reading SS next challenge!!!

YES! I am sure I will need a refresher once I get back from my trip. I have no idea if I will find gyms to train barbells on my travels.

Maybe we would pick it up July 9-August 5 for challenge six?

Quote and reply if you're available/into it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MaylaKae said:

YES! I am sure I will need a refresher once I get back from my trip. I have no idea if I will find gyms to train barbells on my travels.

I'm all over it!!

• Like 2

ETA: or the one after, cuz someone is traveling!!!

Sure, as soon as I figure out what PvP means. Cause all I'm getting is player vs player and I don't get it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Hahahaha, that's what I was aiming for.  Maybe a read a chapter, tape a lift, who can do it better/faster/make the most improvement kind of thing.  Only good natured and supportive.

giphy.gif?response_id=5923125694b3065f3a

I am game. Report back on things we learned. What we found helpful. 

• Like 3

I am late but into it

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

• Like 1