• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Big_Show

Big Show: Chapter Two - The Wandering

Hello everyone!

I had a great time away at the weekend.  Seaside, arcades, crazy golf (it was a draw), pool in the pub (I lost, but that is to be expected), a nice meal, a very funny comedy show, several more drinks and an absolute dive of a nightclub where we had a hilarious time.  Good times.

Since then I have headed up north, started my contract (yesterday), didn't get the sack and came back again (today), and am now trying to get back into the swing of doing challenge-type stuff and whatever the hell everyone else has been doing in my absence.

Unfortunately in my tired/hungover state on Sunday I managed to pick up my laptop but failed to pick up its charger, therefore my time online is very severely rationed.  And I have a nerd coming to visit me back in Ipswich over the long weekend, so updates may be sporadic then.

Makes a difference from all my long rambling posts for the last couple of years where nothing was happening and I talked about it at length...

Anyway:

Week 1, Day 2

I ran.  3.6M in 30:37 @ 8:19/mile average.  It was cold and my lungs hurt a bit.

I have bursitis in my right elbow again, so gym/bodyweight work/full yoga is realistically out until at least the weekend.

I have been eating appallingly the last few days.  This is being addressed.

YNAB is rationalised.  I am now earning money again, so it will hopefully make me feel less sad to log all the receipts.

I have lots of OU work to do. This is what I shall be doing tomorrow instead of trying that local gym.

I am now going to go do my foam rolling and a yoga mini-session.  My calves are very tight

Scoring

+4XP for the run

+1XP for foam rolling

+1XP for the yoga mini-session

+1XP for Trapfinding

Day's score: +7XP

Stash the gold pieces: YNAB fully rationalised
Check the provisions: 0/2

Beginner acrobatics: 0/3

Previous total: 204XP

Current total: 211XP (next level at 250XP)

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Where are you at Brother?

Sorry, I've been a bit behind!

Finally got used to working away from home, but not really been working towards my goals that much.  My elbow's still a bit inflamed so I haven't been able to try the gym yet, although I have been out running three times this week and kept all YNAB fully rationalised.  Gonna get back to daily posting again from now on!

Also had nerds up to visit over the weekend - we saw GotG2 and it was ABSOLUTELY FREAKING AMAZING!  Go watch it.  Now.

I figured out what my training schedule needs to be like while I'm working away in order to 1) fit everything in, and 2) not cut in to my very limited amount of weekend time back home.

So to update my stats and respawn (again) from here on out for the rest of the challenge:

Scoring

+12XP for three runs

+3XP for foam rolling

+2XP for the yoga mini-session

+3XP for Trapfinding

Missing score: +20XP

Check the provisions: 0/4

Previous total: 211XP

Current total: 231XP (next level at 250XP)

• Like 5

Week 2 update!

I got a bit behind with all this again.  But it was another busy few days.  So I still basically did not get chance to focus on my goals properly over the weekend, although it was still a rather good weekend indeed.

On Sunday I did a local 10k race.

First I did the 2k Fun Run with my nephew, which was indeed rather fun.  Then I did the race, and it went... rather less well than I expected.

I set off at a sensible pace and got myself through 5k in just over 22:30 - nicely on target for going sub-45 overall.  Unfortunately the second half was a lot more undulating than the first half, and my legs basically just noped right out of there.  As soon as I hit any kind of incline they just stopped giving out any power, and I eventually made it round in 47:10.  Not my finest hour, especially when FB reminded me today that when I did that race in 2010 I was around 6mins quicker.

What it did do, however, is give me enough XP to finally level up!

Scoring

+1XP for the Fun Run

+12XP for the 10k race (races count as double)

+6XP for entirely offroad race (Track special skill)

+1XP for foam rolling angry angry calves afterwards

Day's score: +20XP

Previous total: 231XP

Current total: 251XP (next level at 550XP)

Welcome to Level 2!

It is very much like Level 1, except hopefully with fewer excuses and prolonged absences.

The side quests are changing slightly - I am ditching the Provisions one and instead focussing my efforts on:

1. Hoard all the treasure

• log every transaction in YNAB and budget accordingly

• +3XP weekly for keeping accounts rationalised
  2. Beginner acrobatics

• follow the NF Handstands course - do specific work as part of warm-up/mobility section before every gym session, at least three times per week

• +1XP per session (max. 3XP weekly)

3. Book learning

• OU study needs to be a daily priority

• +1XP for every day containing a dedicated study session

I also gain a new special skill - Combat Style: Shapeshifting.  Technically this is supposed to be a predator form, but there's only one animal I could really shapeshift into:

c50cd27a0c0144e27a4b8cbe483c6ecd.jpg

This one's a bit more difficult to quantify and the scoring is a bit more nebulous, but the way it works is basically this: the combat is against life in general.  I gain XP for being the best version of myself, for making difficult decisions when they need making, and for openly being me even when it's scary.

For example, I took the Welshman home to meet the family on Sunday.  It was bloody terrifying beforehand, but it went well.  This would have earned me XP.

I shall have you another update later on this evening for today's work, and then they shall be following on much more regularly again.  I promise!

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Big_Show said:

...I took the Welshman home to meet the family on Sunday.  It was bloody terrifying beforehand, but it went well.

Best two sentences in the whole update. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laghail said:

Congrats on the *ding*!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, EricMN said:

Best two sentences in the whole update. 

Haha, first time I've every done it too.  Nerve-wracking does not do it justice.

51 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Congrats on the level up.

Cheers Tank!

----------------------------------

Week 3, Day 2

Today was an annoying day at work, and afterwards I headed straight back to my B&B and out for a run.  My legs were still grumbling a bit from Sunday (they did work hard even if my pace sucked monkey nuts) so I didn't push them, just wanted to get the distance done.

I had planned out a new route which took me down to a nice lake and around the outside of it,  At one point there was the option of running up a hill and down the other side rather than staying on the lakeside track so I took it - I took the hill option as I really really need the practice at them!  Probably best always pick the hillier option from now on I guess.

No great stats to set the world on fire, but it's a training run in the bag - 5.7M in 48:06 @ 8:25/mile average.  Today is the first of 20 weeks leading up to the Great East Run, at which I have decided I shall shoot for a sub-1:40 if possible.  So the first month is all about getting my base mileage and long runs back up to scratch again!

Afterwards I did my foam-rolling (ouch) and the Squat Mobility mini-session (ouch), cooked some dinner, and I have just finished off Block 1 - Part 6 - Section 4 of the OU course.  Got a bigger session planned for tomorrow where I hope to get at least two sections done.

Now it's all basically about unwinding before bed - I want to get to work a bit early tomorrow and hit the ground running.  Still need to prove myself a bit in this new place, make it clear I'm as good at my job as I know I can be.  The joys of contract work...

Scoring

+5XP for the run

+1XP for foam rolling

+1XP for Yoga mini-session

+1XP for OU work (Book learning)

Day's score: +8XP

Previous total: 251XP

Current total: 259XP (next level at 550XP)

• Like 5

Week 3, Day 3

A better day at work.  Hopefully things will continue to improve from now on - already looking at booking a holiday though...

Went for a short run after work.  Nothing strenuous, just stretching my legs out a bit and clearing my head.  Found a simple loop near my B&B that I can repeat whenever I want - 3.7M in 30:37 @ 8:15/mile average.

After that it was back to the OU work - got one section done before dinner, then followed it up with another section after dinner.  Also fit my foa rolling & yoga in as an excuse to take a break in the middle of it.  Productive times all round!

Time to go chill a bit before bed now.  Think I'll catch up on an episode of Rebels while I do so, I'm still a fair bit behind with so many recent TV series!

Scoring

+3XP for the run

+1XP for foam rolling

+1XP for OU work (Book learning)

Day's score: +6XP

Previous total: 259XP

Current total: 265XP (next level at 550XP)

• Like 5

Catch-up time!

Week 3, Day 4

Busy day at work, headed straight out for a run afterwards though.  Did the same route down to the lake again (including up the hill), but this time I found a little extra loop in order to extend it to just over 10k.  A very nice route, thing I'll keep adding bits on to this one as I increase the mileage over the next few weeks - I think Thursday is going to be my long run day while I'm working away, as then I don't have to plan my very limited weekend time around it.  6.2M in 51:57 @ 8:18/mile pace.

Followed that up with a very lazy evening in my room catching up with the last season of Rebels.  Did my yoga and my foam rolling though!

Scoring

+6XP for the run

+1XP for foam rolling

+1XP for Trapfinding

Day's score: +9XP

Previous total: 265XP

Current total: 274XP (next level at 550XP)

Week 3, Day 5

Left work and travelled home - the trains were delayed so I got back late.  Watched Doctor Who and went to bed.

Scoring

+1XP for Trapfinding

Day's score: +1XP

Previous total: 273XP

Current total: 274XP (next level at 550XP)

Week 3, Day 6

Up nice and early to go for run a short run - did a little local loop along the waterfront, up through a park, then back down along the waterfront again.  Very pleasant morning for a run, and it actually felt a bit easier again!  3.0M in 24:28 @ 7:56/mile pace.

Then I was on Uncle duty for several hours - took my nephew & my Mum out for burgers and ice cream, plus a bit of a walk.  Severely knackered by the time I put them back on their train home so stopped for a coffee to refresh, then headed to the gym for the first time in three weeks!

I deloaded the weights a fair bit as I had been out of the gym for a while, but also because I didn't want to aggravate the bursitis in my elbow again.  Tested it out with my Back & Biceps session - thankfully I had no problems (apart from having lost a bit of strength) and there was barely a twinge from my elbow.   As long as I continue to carefully not lean on it I think I should be find to start using my arm properly again.  Which is handy, as I have events to train for and a summer holiday to get in shape for!

Spent the evening having a quiet  night in my flat on the own - the Welshman is away on a stag do and I had carefully not arranged any other plans, so for the first time in ages I got to have a quiet night in my little flat.  Doctor Who and then Eurovision made it very enjoyable indeed!

Scoring

+3XP for the run

+5XP for Back & Biceps

+1XP for foam rolling

+1XP for Pull-ups (Rank 1 Favoured Enemy)

+1XP for Trapfinding

Day's score: +12XP

Previous total: 274XP

Current total: 286XP (next level at 550XP)

• Like 6

ve been putting off writing this post for a few days as I didn't know what to write.  I'm still not sure, but I don't want to leave it hanging any more.

After my last post I got hit by what I'm simply gonna call some Major Life Shit.  I don't want to go into it on the public internet, and I'm fine, nobody's died or anything, but it took some to deal with (and frankly I still am) so I kinda had to prioritise other things for a while.  Also quite surprised I haven't had a major freakout about it, but no doubt that's due sometime soon in the future so that's probably something to look forward to.  Oh, and I got sick with a stomach bug too.  Because of course that would happen at the same damn time.

All in all, I'm quite glad I levelled up first as it at least means I get to assign myself some points for how I handled it.  So that's something

Anyhoo, enough whingeing - it means that this challenge thread is now wrapped up.  I basically did quite rubbish in my first month of working away from home, but I have now worked out many things that don't work for me and come up with a plan for the next challenge based on what I think might actually be achievable.  New thread will be posted over the weekend sometime.

All that's left is to tally up the last few points and then respawn!

Scoring

+15XP for various runs

+5P for Trapfinding

+20XP for Combat Style: Shapeshifting (Bear vs Life)

+6XP for keeping YNAB fully rationalised

Final score: +46XP

Previous total: 286XP

Current total: 332XP (next level at 550XP)

• Like 4

Sorry things went crazy for you, I hope it all works out.

Thanks dude. It'll all be ok.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks guys, it means a lot. Things are a lot more sorted now and I'm moving forward with stuff again.

I wanted to post my new challenge today but the wifi just packed up, so expect a big new update tomorrow instead!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

• Like 6