TheJaysFlight leaves the nest

TheJaysFlight

I had planned a 1.5 hour hike for yesterday, but a different trail than usual called me, so it ended up being closer to 4 hours. Had a great time. My legs are definitely feeling the mountain this morning, but I think I'll be fine to go running tonight.

Update, a few hours later: Yeah my legs are fine. I took a walk on my lunch break and was pain-free and light on my feet! Of course, it's May Day, so that might have something to do with it. It's beautiful here today!

River Witch, Scout

Current quest: Weigh 225 pounds by end of summer 2017 (SO CLOSE!)

Epic quest: Run the whole time in a charity 5k by 02 Feb 2018 (working on it)

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal

Current Challenge, Previous Challenge

My first 5k is this weekend! I'll probably be walking most of the way, but I'll be able to run at least ten minutes, which is much, much more than I would have been able to do just a couple months ago.

It's not really related to my 4-week challenge, but it is the completion of a personal goal I set when I first started losing weight. I'm dang proud of myself.

• Like 1

River Witch, Scout

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal

Time for another callout post--I was just Not Feeling It last night and did not clean the kitchen, and I only sort of half-did my food for work today. I'm still calling the food a win because I got it done this morning, but I'm definitely down a rank on the cleaning thing.

No ragrets.

• Like 1

River Witch, Scout

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal

On 5/2/2017 at 3:26 PM, TheJaysFlight said:

My first 5k is this weekend! I'll probably be walking most of the way, but I'll be able to run at least ten minutes, which is much, much more than I would have been able to do just a couple months ago.

It's not really related to my 4-week challenge, but it is the completion of a personal goal I set when I first started losing weight. I'm dang proud of myself.

How awesome!  Have fun! 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

You guys I'm getting really hyped about this dang race. It's tomorrow morning and I pick up my packet tonight! With a technical shirt, which I guess is a fancy noncotton t-shirt, my number, and a nifty electronic timer!

I was supposed to do my running program today but I'm just gonna take a walk instead; I'm going to incorporate my running program into my race tomorrow! So even though I'm technically walking the 5k, I'll get at least 8 minutes of running in, plus whatever else I have the stamina for.

The weather's supposed to be gorgeous and I'm feeling dang good about myself. My friends have made me promise to take a victory selfie after I finish, so I might post it here, too.

In challenge news, I went out to eat yesterday which puts me at two for the week, and I know for a fact I'm going out with friends tomorrow night, so that will put me at 3. Still much better than I was doing pre-challenge.

• Like 2

River Witch, Scout

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal

It's usually a good idea to taper your running a couple days before a race anyway.  Have a great time!  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Week 2 scorecard:

• Prep food for work the night before - Barry Allen running, inadvisably, into the past. Again.
  • No more than two restaurant meals per week - Either Pissed-off Duck or Actually Michelle Obama
  • Spend at least an hour per week being active on natural terrain - Barry Allen running, inadvisably, into the past. Again.
  • Clean the dang kitchen at least five minutes every day - IDK, like, a spaceship or something?

River Witch, Scout

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal

1) Race was a lot of fun, but it really emphasized how far I have to go before I can run a whole 5k. I'm glad I have nine months before my deadline. I placed 369 out of 405. My time was 52:03.92, pace 16:47/M. That's not far from what I calculated ahead of time, but seeing my name at the end of the list doesn't feel great, not gonna lie.

I'm trying hard to focus on my progress and not how much work is ahead of me. A couple of months ago, I couldn't run for more than a minute. My average pace was over 21 minutes per mile.

So I'm trying to be proud of myself for doing it at all, for how far I've come, instead of looking at all the people who had faster times than me. I will never be a speed demon, and it's not even one of my goals. So why should I compare myself to people with different histories and different goals? I'm doing it anyway, though. I'm being a little hard on myself but I'm sure I'll get over it.

2) Depending on how you count, I ended up having either two or three restaurant meals on Saturday.

3) I was tired and my feet were sore on Sunday morning so I didn't take the hike I was planning, which means I'm also behind on my goal to be active on natural surfaces for this week.

• Like 3

River Witch, Scout

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal

Great job on the race!  You've come a long way from when you started.  You can only compare yourself to you and you've done amazing things.  It's hard to break that habit of comparing yourself to others though.  I get that and I still do it sometimes too.  The more you tell yourself they don't matter, the more you start to believe it. 

16 hours ago, TheJaysFlight said:

1) Race was a lot of fun, but it really emphasized how far I have to go before I can run a whole 5k. I'm glad I have nine months before my deadline. I placed 369 out of 405. My time was 52:03.92, pace 16:47/M.

AWESOME JOB!!!

That is amazing progress, considering you are coming from 21/M. Impressive!!

• Like 1

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

Update:

• Meal prep going without issue.
  • Thursday morning and not a single restaurant meal! I do have plans to meet friends at an Indian restaurant tomorrow evening.
  • Guess my fitness goal of spending an hour being active on a natural surface is gonna have to be Saturday if it's going to happen this week.
  • Didn't clean the kitchen last night; lost an hour and a half to a transportation emergency. By the time I was home, I was half an hour late getting to bed.

Unrelated:

• Didn't get to the gym yesterday for unrelated reasons, haven't decided if I'm going to just skip it or if I'm gonna go after work today and get two days in a row.
  • Realized this morning that I'm 1/3 through my weight loss!
  • Haven't spun my poi since 4/29. Never gonna get better if I don't practice!
  • I want to learn to juggle. I've tried now and then for decades but never put any real effort into it. Maybe that's an idea for my next 4-week challenge.

River Witch, Scout

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal

ahaha the 'transportation emergency' was me wrecking my car. I'm fine, the car prob isn't totalled but is certainly undrivable for now. I def do not have the money and resources to handle this right now. wow wow.

Anyway, I had dinner at a restaurant because my parents offered to pay and I'm too broke to turn down free food. This and the Indian food tomorrow are my two, none on Saturday no matter what! Ended up not getting a chance to run today, either I'll add a Saturday run or I'll just miss one.

Will clean kitchen before bed. nope, not happening, that's twice now this week

River Witch, Scout

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal

Thanks y'all, I'm sure it will work out fine. I'll be out a few hundred bucks for deductible but insurance should hopefully cover anything crazy expensive. My parents are being extremely helpful; mom has lent me her car for a few days and when she needs it back, dad will take me to work; our commutes go in generally the same direction. I've been driving for twenty years and this is my first wreck. I guess it was bound to happen eventually, but this means I have zero experience in filing claims and such. It didn't even occur to me to file a police report because I thought it was just a tire at first.

Anyway, yess I am definitely going to put juggling and/or poi in my next challenge.

Indian food is cancelled for tonight, apparently there was scheduling confusion and it's happening while I'm at work today. That means I still have one allotted restaurant meal for Saturday! Nice!

• Like 2

River Witch, Scout

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal

Indian food didn't happen last night, but Japanese did, so restaurant limit is met. Three days no cleaning the kitchen. Got to the park and walked, spun poi, and practiced juggling on grass for about an hour and a half, so that's another quest met. That means I can go ahead and score my week thus:

• Prep food for work the night before - Barry Allen running, inadvisably, into the past. Again.
  • No more than two restaurant meals per week - Barry Allen running, inadvisably, into the past. Again.
  • Spend at least an hour per week being active on natural terrain - Barry Allen running, inadvisably, into the past. Again.
  • Clean the dang kitchen at least five minutes every day - Pissed-off duck

River Witch, Scout

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal

There is a food called poi, but there is also a Maori dance called poi that involves a prop, basically a weight on a string, also called poi. The prop has sort of grown a life of its own separate from the dance.

Most poi are just balls or sandbags inside fabric tubes, but there are other kinds. If you've seen a fire dancer swinging two flaming balls on chains, that's fire poi. If you seen someone swinging LEDs on ropes, that's glow poi. 

Go to YouTube and look it up! It's cool stuff!

• Like 1

River Witch, Scout

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal

wow my life is a mess right now. doing fine on three out of four challenges; hoping to get some time in the park or woods on Saturday, but I have to work that day so we'll see how it goes.

EDIT: ahaha. okay, i spoke too soon. by the time i got home and ate something, it was already bedtime. no kitchen cleaning today.

River Witch, Scout

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal

Restaurant meal number one today.

ETA: Whoops. Also didn't clean the kitchen. I put it off until just before bedtime, and now roommate is baking a dang cake. Oh well.

River Witch, Scout

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal

Holy what?? The challenge ends in two days! Wow, this has been a quick freaking month. I know it's premature, but suddenly I'm thinking about my goals for the next challenge!

• The meal prep thing has been basically flawless all month, so obviously that's no longer a challenge. If I decide to have another diet goal, it might be to hit my protein goal every day. I'm mostly vegetarian and I hate my current protein supplement so I'm not getting enough right now.
  • I've liked having the pressure of the challenge for my restaurant limitation, so I think I'll keep that one around.
  • I def want to do either a goal for juggling and one for poi, or a combo goal for both. I do both of those on grass anyway, so the natural surface thing will come along for the ride.
  • Think I'm going to expand my cleaning goal to 5 minutes kitchen PLUS five minutes literally anything else. Maybe I can keep the rest of my home looking half decent. Ten minutes per day should be doable most of the time, that's, like, one fewer YouTube video per day.
  • Other possible Level Up Your Life goals: Save money for upcoming vacation; save PTO hours for same; start mowing through the dozens of unread books stacking up.

River Witch, Scout

Daily Log, MyFitnessPal