purplebug's first attempt

purplebug

My first step towards a healthier me is recognising my missteps. What do I do that is bad for my health and/or lifestyle? I drink too many sugary drinks - bad for body and wallet. I eat too much chocolate - ditto. I don't exercise enough. I let good habits slide into bad due to memory issues. So, here are my goals for this upcoming challenge.

Diet 1:

Replace a coke or a milk tea bottle with water or a smoothie/drinkable yoghurt, at least four times a week. Acceptable max number of sodas/milk teas in a week is 2. 

Diet 2:

Instead of buying a dark chocolate Snickers (why must they keep bringing out variations that I get addicted to), grab a healthy snack bar, or banana chips, or something not containing chocolate. Also, limit self to one snack per trip to the convenience store, which should be no more than twice a day on workdays (4 days out of the week) and zero on non-workdays.

Fitness:

Do a yoga video workout at least 3 times a week. 5 would be awesome, but 3 is the minimum.

Level Up Your Life:

Brush my teeth every morning. It sounds elementary, but it's a habit I have a hard time reinforcing, especially after a cavity-free dentist visit after three years of slacking on my dental hygiene. I felt like I had license to keep slacking off, since apparently I've done fine with only occasional brushing, but it's really not something that I want to do. I'd rather have a clean mouth, fresher breath, and a lack of blood when I do get round to brushing. That's gross, and it hurts my gums. (This is my most embarrassing bad habit, fyi. I gotta do something about it. No judging please.) For this, I will probably set an alarm on my phone reminding me to brush.

So, here goes.

• Like 3

You are far from the first person to have "brush my teeth" as a goal so please don't feel bad about it.  Something I used to do to make sure I brushed at night, I decided that if I didn't brush I had to own up and admit it to my bf when I got to bed.  That was a BIG motivator for me.  Who wants to tell their partner "I was too lazy to brush my teeth" huh?

• Like 3

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

100% no judging zone here! For me when I'm trying to reinforce a habit it helps to have a physical prompt of some kind. So think about how your mornings currently go and how you can put tooth brushing in the path of your established routine so you're reminded to do it. For example, what if you put your toothbrush in a weird noticeable place like the kitchen counter before you went to bed? I do stuff like that to trick myself all the time.

One thing I did want to mention...if you're trying to cut down on sugary drinks, replacing soda with smoothies or drinkable yoghurt isn't actually going to cut down your sugar intake. Those unfortunately have as much sugar as soda - and sometimes more. They're marketed as a healthy alternative but in practice, it's still a sugary drink. Water is a good option though (some people add lemon or a couple berries for flavour). I'm also a big fan of herbal unsweetened tea.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!

2 hours ago, purplebug said:

Two days in, brushed my teeth both days! :) Only one milktea drink bought, but I mostly drank water. No chocolate though! :D Haven't done any yoga yet, though, but I have Tuesday, Thursday and Friday mornings free, so I'll probably do it then.

Yep, we'll try yoga in the morning when we get up!

• Like 2

To echo everyone else: you're totally not the first person to have a teeth brushing goal, and I'm sure you won't be the last. 

well done on the progress so far!

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

So far this week, I have managed to brush my teeth once a day! :D *those are my shiny teeth* Still seeing some blood from my gums when I rinse, though :( They are sensitive, and un-used to brushing, I guess. I'm not too worried, cos I know that gums are likely to be more delicate and easily damaged by the toothbrush if you don't brush often.

I cracked today and got a milktea with my lunch, mostly because I forgot my lunch box at home. If I hadn't, maybe I wouldn't have stopped to get anything from the shop on my way to work. I've got to get into flavoured water. @JupiterStar gave me a coupon that she got for a free pear-flavoured water, which is quite tasty, but it's a flavour that's unlikely to stay beyond the season.

Chocolate, I did quite well on. I snacked on cookie-things at work (damn the Japanese custom of buying your co-workers edible goodies from your travels, it introduces way too many sweets into my life!), but I haven't had any actual chocolate.

And we did some yoga yesterday morning. It was tough, lots of plank-holding positions, which I did not like - I'm more into the stretching and not much weight bearing. But I gotta work on my ab and back muscles somehow. Going to try again tomorrow morning, if @JupiterStar feels up to it. She's been very under the weather lately... :( 

• Like 2

@purplebug

Confession: I only brush my teeth once a day, too. :P Twice if I'm up to it at night.

On 4/22/2017 at 6:07 AM, Severine said:

100% no judging zone here! For me when I'm trying to reinforce a habit it helps to have a physical prompt of some kind. So think about how your mornings currently go and how you can put tooth brushing in the path of your established routine so you're reminded to do it. For example, what if you put your toothbrush in a weird noticeable place like the kitchen counter before you went to bed? I do stuff like that to trick myself all the time.

In my case, my physical prompt is the door. I should brush my teeth whenever I go out of the house, like running errands, going to work, etc.

17 minutes ago, purplebug said:

I cracked today and got a milktea with my lunch, mostly because I forgot my lunch box at home.

Milktea is life, to be honest.

18 minutes ago, purplebug said:

And we did some yoga yesterday morning. It was tough, lots of plank-holding positions, which I did not like - I'm more into the stretching and not much weight bearing. But I gotta work on my ab and back muscles somehow. Going to try again tomorrow morning, if @JupiterStar feels up to it. She's been very under the weather lately... :( 

I hope both of you are doing well.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, LucentFrost said:

Milktea is life, to be honest.

I did not have milktea in my life before I moved to Japan. 'Tea with milk' and 'milktea' are sooooo different. Even when I buy it hot, it's still different from brewed tea in a mug with milk. It's sweet, without tasting like two sugars in tea tastes like. I don't get it, but it's yummy, and I can't get enough. So, it's a problem.

• Like 1
On 4/20/2017 at 9:18 AM, purplebug said:

My first step towards a healthier me is recognising my missteps. What do I do that is bad for my health and/or lifestyle? I drink too many sugary drinks - bad for body and wallet. I eat too much chocolate - ditto. I don't exercise enough. I let good habits slide into bad due to memory issues. So, here are my goals for this upcoming challenge.

Diet 1:

Replace a coke or a milk tea bottle with water or a smoothie/drinkable yoghurt, at least four times a week. Acceptable max number of sodas/milk teas in a week is 2. 

Diet 2:

Instead of buying a dark chocolate Snickers (why must they keep bringing out variations that I get addicted to), grab a healthy snack bar, or banana chips, or something not containing chocolate. Also, limit self to one snack per trip to the convenience store, which should be no more than twice a day on workdays (4 days out of the week) and zero on non-workdays.

Fitness:

Do a yoga video workout at least 3 times a week. 5 would be awesome, but 3 is the minimum.

Level Up Your Life:

Brush my teeth every morning. It sounds elementary, but it's a habit I have a hard time reinforcing, especially after a cavity-free dentist visit after three years of slacking on my dental hygiene. I felt like I had license to keep slacking off, since apparently I've done fine with only occasional brushing, but it's really not something that I want to do. I'd rather have a clean mouth, fresher breath, and a lack of blood when I do get round to brushing. That's gross, and it hurts my gums. (This is my most embarrassing bad habit, fyi. I gotta do something about it. No judging please.) For this, I will probably set an alarm on my phone reminding me to brush.

So, here goes.

First off, a member of the "I didn't brush and ended up with dental surgery" club, I get how this gets away from you. I actually put an app on my phone GoalTracker which lets me have a chart with a box for each day for each goal that  you mark if  you did it or not. Then I set notifications in said tracker to go off 10 minutes before a set time. then if I forget to brush, my notification is there and I remember. Plus when  your on a hot streak, you can see it. I also use it for other things too.

The rest of the goals sound great. Good luck and welcome

• Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

... Confession time. I had an energy drink today. That's like, soda plus bad. So, a fail on that today. But still no chocolate! :) I have actually been super tired the last few days, and needed a boost for classes today. I realised last night that it's because I forgot to go to the doc and refill my meds, so my underactive thyroid is lounging all over my metabolism and making me sleepy. So I'm going to go tomorrow (first chance I have, and last for over a week due to public holidays), and I'll be back to normal, no energy drinks needed anymore. I'm actually quite wary of them now, since a 25-year-old friend of mine recently had a heart attack due to a combo of smoking and energy drinks. I don't smoke, but my dad did, and I have some second-hand smoke damage, so who knows. I don't want to be paranoid, but... The stuff in energy drinks is not too good for you. It does help my ADHD a bit, but still. 

Anyway. Didn't do yoga as planned this morning, due to neck/shoulder muscle pain (probably from picking up 6 year olds too much, damn their hyperactive little motor drives). Will try tomorrow.

Brushed my teeth! :D

• Like 1
13 hours ago, purplebug said:

I'm actually quite wary of them now, since a 25-year-old friend of mine recently had a heart attack due to a combo of smoking and energy drinks.

Whoa! Now there's a cautionary tale...

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17

Forum avatar is original art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi. Used with permission!

Tell me about this milk tea you speak of.  I only have experience of Tetley or Scottish Blend dunked in a mug of boiling water. 

I'm actually quite wary of them now, since a 25-year-old friend of mine recently had a heart attack due to a combo of smoking and energy drinks. 

:o:o:o  That's scary!

i hope you feel better once you get your meds.  That can't be much fun. :(  

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I'm super intrigued by the milktea conversation. Come back and enlighten me @purplebug

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hi @Guzzi, @fleaball, sorry for the disappearing act! We've been travelling to Tokyo for Golden Week (bunch of national holidays in a row), so it's been super busy the last wee while.

Milk tea is kind of like a tea latte. I've had those from Starbucks, and I noticed the similarities. It's sweetened, and you can get it cold (in a plastic bottle) or hot (bottle or can). Canned hot drinks were weird for me at first, especially from a vending machine, but it's so useful for warming up in the winter that I stopped thinking it was strange very quickly! :) I've attached a picture of my preferred brand of milktea. It has about 15-18g of sugar in it, I think, which is as much as a coke. So, it went on my challenge list.

Speaking of, I've had a bit of a slidey week. In Tokyo, away from home, I just want to eat everything and try everything, so I've been eating a bit more unhealthily this last week. However, none of that was a chocolate bar :) I have marked myself down as missing my goal on several days, though, because I'm sure getting an ice-cream sundae counts as a big sugar intake that I didn't have to eat! I did manage to avoid getting a coke with some meals, though. I just sometimes got melon soda at karaoke or with dinner when they had a drink bar (self-refills). Since we got back to Osaka, though, I haven't had any soda or chocolate (or extravagant sugary treats)! :) 

Yoga didn't happen, as our hotel room was tiny, and the last two days have been a bit weird, pain-wise, but maybe I can fit one session in tomorrow. I managed to remember to brush my teeth every day but one! I forgot on Thurday, and that was it! :D That's my most successful challenge, so far.

I hope everyone else is doing well!

tea.jpg

• Like 1

Japan is so weird. Fascinating, but weird. 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

17 hours ago, fleaball said:

Japan is so weird. Fascinating, but weird. 

Truth. I am pretty sure every day includes this conversation:

"...But why does X thing happen/exist/etc.?"

"Because Japan."

(Examples from Tokyo include: "But why do they number exits for the train lines but not the metro lines?" "Why do have to pick up paperwork showing your tax payments that don't exist for this ward that you moved out of on March 31st when the fiscal year ends March 31st?" "But why does this ATM say my bank is closed and can't issue me money when every other ATM in the city does it fine?" "Why is the cat a banana?" and "Why can't I take the train from Harajuku to Kichijoiji without buying an extra ticket when you could even though we have the exact same train pass?" And every single answer was, "Because Japan.")

• Like 1

First day back at regular job after the holiday, and I've guzzled a coke and two snickers on my way to and from the school. Damn the alternative versions, they taste so good! I was just nauseous with hunger on my way home, though, and I saw they had both the dark choc and the almond varieties, so I cracked. I went into the shop like, "okay, banana chips", but immediately changed to "oh damn it, snickers". Oh well. No yoga today either, but maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow, on my day off.

Still going strong with the tooth brushing, though! :)

• Like 1
On 5/8/2017 at 8:41 AM, purplebug said:

First day back at regular job after the holiday, and I've guzzled a coke and two snickers on my way to and from the school. Damn the alternative versions, they taste so good! I was just nauseous with hunger on my way home, though, and I saw they had both the dark choc and the almond varieties, so I cracked. I went into the shop like, "okay, banana chips", but immediately changed to "oh damn it, snickers". Oh well. No yoga today either, but maybe I'll give it a try tomorrow, on my day off.

Still going strong with the tooth brushing, though! :)

Great job on the teeth. We ahve all been there and had that "I need something now" moment and while they were not the best choices, you are getting better that it was only then. And think how many sodas you USE to drink a day, that one doesn't seem so bad now since its been how many days since your last soda?

• Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Long-overdue update.

I realised that milk tea has 6-7g sugar, not 12+ like I thought, so my resolve for not drinking it has weakened! I've had it quite often in the last week :( 

Been doing so-so on the chocolate. It's been a hard week for Jupiterstar, and so for me, so I'm not so strong against the nummy snacks, especially on my way home.

Yoga, last week was good, this week I only managed once. My Tuesday disappeared in running around Osaka looking for speciality shops that have feta and white baking chocolate. Ugh. Buying anything in Japan seems to be super hard. You want bland white bread and cheese? Fine. You want something with grains, or flavour, or anything slightly unusual? Go to the import store, and pray they haven't decided to stop stocking it.

And the teeth? All but three days this month! :D 

• Like 2

Not sure where you would go to get them but I am hooked on S'mores quest bars which I started snacking on to get me off of snickers.   I think they taste like cookie dough.

I could buy them online here but I have no way to know they aren't fake so I just order from iherb which has a deal with a local shipping company here so I don't have to pay for shipping :)

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11