• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ElizeElvinFoxRyder

elizevdmerwe - Not quite the Bear Grylls' way

I've gone and put my foot in it again!

Sent mil photos of Rocco playing soccer this afternoon. She sent me a message to say that she is so glad he played because he was missing out on hard sport. So I answered that when he was ready, he chose to try it and take part in the competitions, that is what it is about. I should have just ignored it and not taken it personally. I took it personally because that is one of the things she always complained about, that we don't force the boys to take part in sport if they don't want to.

*Sigh* well its done. I just can't keep the peace can I?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Adam loves taking pictures.

I was speaking more of the subject of the pictures (you) rather than their composition, which is good. Let me rephrase: The pictures were taken well and your haircut and the rest of you looks good.

12 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I've gone and put my foot in it again!

Sent mil photos of Rocco playing soccer this afternoon. She sent me a message to say that she is so glad he played because he was missing out on hard sport. So I answered that when he was ready, he chose to try it and take part in the competitions, that is what it is about. I should have just ignored it and not taken it personally. I took it personally because that is one of the things she always complained about, that we don't force the boys to take part in sport if they don't want to.

*Sigh* well its done. I just can't keep the peace can I?

Don't beat yourself up, if not fight came out of it the damage was minimal. You've identified a better course of action for the future. If you keep beating yourself up over it you're more likely to do something similar in the future. If you let go and focus on the fact that you don't always have to respond then you'll be more likely to let it go in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I was speaking more of the subject of the pictures (you) rather than their composition, which is good. Let me rephrase: The pictures were taken well and your haircut and the rest of you looks good.

:) Thanks Tank.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Don't beat yourself up, if not fight came out of it the damage was minimal. You've identified a better course of action for the future. If you keep beating yourself up over it you're more likely to do something similar in the future. If you let go and focus on the fact that you don't always have to respond then you'll be more likely to let it go in the future.

Well no comment back yet. I really don't owe anyone an explanation. Brandt and I carry the responsibility, and we only report to God on it. It's ok, I'll remember for the future.

-------------------------------------

Had such a lovely moment with the boys this afternoon. One of their friends asked them to join in the cross-country running, so I said I'll find out more about it. When I got the info and told them that they operate in such a way that firstly, I'm not allowed to take part and run/walk with them (parents have to wait at the start/finish). Secondly, each age group are sent with an adult leading separately. So first Rocco would go out with his age group, and we have to sit and wait for them to finish. Then the in between age group would go out, and lastly the age group that Adam would be in. They were not impressed. Then I gave them the last bit of info which is that the cross-country group only get together on a Friday afternoon, meaning we have to choose between Geocaching and cross-country. Both turned around and said they would rather do the Geocaching with me. Then I got huge hugs. So we are sticking with the Geocaching.

Otherwise it was a great day. We left at 10am for Playball, fetched Brandt at 12h00, and soccer started at 13h00. There were four other schools (6 teams), and they played with 6 team members, for 9min. matches. Our HS group took part in 3 matches, against private school teams that get proper coaching 2x a week for an hour. It was organised chaos! The boys won 1 match, lost 2 matches, but had a great time! I had two chocolate chip biscuits (man those schools are fancy!) and a cup of coffee. Each soccer player received a fruit juice and a big biscuit afterwards. Rocco was at first sad because their team "didn't win all the matches", and he didn't feel that he actually played a role, until I pointed out that I saw him intercept the ball 3 times in the first match, to stop a goal. After each match he wanted to know from Brandt and I how he did, and we pointed out all the things he could be proud of. I mean, he practiced soccer about 6 weeks ago? The coach didn't even touch it this morning in Playball, she focused on tennis.

Anyway, have to rush, there is thunder in the air. Don't want to loose more electrical components.

Have a good evening!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Brandt really doesn't like to use wireless, firstly for security, and secondly, my desktop and one of his laptops doesn't have wireless. Also we have a router where Brandt set the security settings and passwords, etc. which he says is safer.

Well, he's not wrong :). The internet is wonderful but also a very scary place. Thanks to UPnP network printers, in and of themselves, can be a bit of a security liability although if you follow this through to the logical conclusion you realise that the only real course of action is to unplug everything from the internet and build a wall around the router! and we wouldn't want that. 

Glad to hear you had such a lovely moment today. Hope you don't lose anything to the lightning! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

The internet is wonderful but also a very scary place.

Tell me about it. Adam loves going on to Ark Wiki where he checks out what new animals have been added to the game, etc. Of late every single time he opens it up, "very undesirable adverts" are popping up! Brandt tried to get rid of it, but there is some kind of timer event connected to the adverts, it is ridiculous! Now I've told Adam he can't go to that site anymore. Man, I can't keep up with everything bad some people are thinking out and implementing on the 'net. You think you are up to date and acting safe, and the next moment ... you get the surprise of your life.

44 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Glad to hear you had such a lovely moment today. Hope you don't lose anything to the lightning!

The storm came in with a big huff and a puff and lots of noise ... and blew over in a matter of half an hour without so much as a drop of rain falling.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Tell me about it. Adam loves going on to Ark Wiki where he checks out what new animals have been added to the game, etc. Of late every single time he opens it up, "very undesirable adverts" are popping up! Brandt tried to get rid of it, but there is some kind of timer event connected to the adverts, it is ridiculous! Now I've told Adam he can't go to that site anymore. Man, I can't keep up with everything bad some people are thinking out and implementing on the 'net. You think you are up to date and acting safe, and the next moment ... you get the surprise of your life.

The more you know the scarier it gets I'm afraid. Really the best thing you can do, much like security in general, is just to do your best to make sure you are not an easy target and it sounds like you are doing a lot of the right stuff there. 

When I hear things like pop up ads my brain goes to the extreme of paranoia but if you are only seeing them on one site it is probably nothing local (if you are getting them everywhere after x minutes you have a virus so be aware of that). I don't really like suggesting it because it is a little unethical but you can be selective where you enable it, you could look into using an ad blocker for the site. It may or may not shut down the undesirable content depending on exactly where it is being served from.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

The more you know the scarier it gets I'm afraid. Really the best thing you can do, much like security in general, is just to do your best to make sure you are not an easy target and it sounds like you are doing a lot of the right stuff there. 

When I hear things like pop up ads my brain goes to the extreme of paranoia but if you are only seeing them on one site it is probably nothing local (if you are getting them everywhere after x minutes you have a virus so be aware of that). I don't really like suggesting it because it is a little unethical but you can be selective where you enable it, you could look into using an ad blocker for the site. It may or may not shut down the undesirable content depending on exactly where it is being served from.

That's what Brandt also said, then he went to various sites and Adam told him, it is only on Ark Wiki that those adverts and "scenes" pop up. It takes over the whole screen though.

In our Internet Safety study yesterday, we learnt about Google Diagnostic, so we tried it out with that site's URL. It came back clean. But the moment we went on to the site, up pops the scenes! Poor Adam sits with his hand in front of his eyes, peeking through his fingers, trying not to see anything, except the X to close the screen :D It's embarrassing to say the least. He hasn't gone to that site since.

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If you are using Chrome adblocker or Ublock Origin are great extensions that will eliminate advertisements, including pop ups.

We use Firefox, but I'll check what extensions/add-ons they have. We do use something that is supposed to block pop-ups... Ha, checked Firefox quickly and installed Ublock. Went to that site and activated it, and no adverts popped up. Then 2min. later there popped up the advert in a new window, but there weren't any images. So nope, he isn't allowed to go to that site again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday 09 May 2017:

DAILY:

• Bible Study: Yes
  • Water/Tea: Yes
  • Track Food: Yes
    • Protein: 69.8 (106g)
    • Net Carbs: 76.7 (35g)
    • Fat: 116.35 (127g)
  • Sleep: Yes

WORK - WEEKLY:

• Morning stretches: Yes
  • Walk with Adam: Yes 1.9km (1.1miles) in 20min; and spent 1hr on my feet next to the soccer field. Sat for maybe 10min. between two games waiting for Rocco's next match to begin.
  • Playball and Soccer: Yes for Rocco

TO DO - CHALLENGE:

• Nope

WANNA DO'S - IF I/WE CAN:

• Nope
  • Like 2

I have no clue what happened yesterday! Ok I do, I sat down to quickly go through some of the summit video sessions, and became so engrossed, that we skipped school, skipped most of everything I planned to do, and I had a thick woolly head last night from all the listening, thinking and note taking! Two of the speakers talked about learning styles, how to change the work to suite your child's style, how to get them to recognise the form they need the work to be in to learn it effectually, and then also different methods of teaching. Nothing I haven't heard/read before, but some of the extra info, comments just HIT me! I just suddenly got some other ideas and were so excited for the future! Alas, by the time I had finally switched off the videos and put down my pen, it was already 3pm!

No time to go to blood donation, no time to work in the garden, because I remembered with a shock that I had to (HAD TO) go to the shop and buy some essentials we have run out of. Got home and made dinner. Inbetween my watching videos the boys showed me things they were up to, and I was shocked: they had gone through a lot of the I Wonder Youtube videos, on plants, water, space, name it! Adam started drawing some pictures in Paint about what they've learned in the space episodes, and then another picture on plants, how their roots work, photosynthesis, fire, putting out fires, fire prevention, etc. And of course I don't have a printer to print the pictures out and stick it in his science workbook. But he did save it, so we have it for later. He read some headings from the Youtube videos to me as well.

I tracked so little of the food, it is not even worth mentioning. And I'm not going to track today either. Already up in the air, because I watched the last video from the summit this morning. I have to donate blood today, have to start cutting the black out bags for the water filters, and have to start cutting the material for new slippers. Not to mention finances, etc.

Wednesday 10 May 2017:

DAILY:

• Track Food: Nope
    • Protein: XXX (106g)
    • Net Carbs: XXX (35g)
    • Fat: XXX (127g)
  • Sleep: Yes for the boys, I was an hour late, because I got stuck in working out curricula.

WORK - WEEKLY:

TO DO - CHALLENGE:

• Nope

• Nope
  • Like 3

Wednesday 10 May 2017:

DAILY:

• Sleep: Yes for the boys, I was an hour late, because... and we were all up and about by 5am! What happened?

WORK - WEEKLY:

TO DO - CHALLENGE:

• Nope

• Nope

Had a funny non-brain moment yesterday, unfortunately while driving. We were on our way to the blood donation centre when I just drew a blank. I was driving along and suddenly at an intersection I didn't know where I was. For the life of me I couldn't picture the streets and where I had to go. Luckily I had to wait for oncoming traffic, and within two-three cars passing I was ok and knew I was in the wrong lane, so switched and changed route. I think I've been driving on autopilot and then suddenly took in my surroundings, etc. But I've been driving around town for more than 18yrs! And I drew a total blank, couldn't recognise anything around me! Heck if this is what hormones do when you hit 40 it's dangerous and serious! :P

Everything measures fine according to the sister at blood donation. My blood did the normal, go down half way in the cobalt-solution, then popped up to the surface. She tested again, and then with the spinner, and the iron numbers on the spinner came out high. I have a sneaky suspicion it has something to do with dehydration. I hadn't had a lot to drink during the morning, made up for it after blood donation, but by then I felt like a drag, and was dragging.

Came home, made lunch. Almost fell asleep in front of my desk. Somehow stayed awake. When I felt a bit better I thought I'd start on the branches still lying in the garden, but I just didn't have the energy to do anything. So I sat, and watched Sing with Adam. Couldn't even muster energy together to sing along. And I love singing along to songs I know. Started raining again just before 19h00 as Brandt was almost home. Rained through the night. Rained harder this morning, and is still raining. They are predicting that it will rain through the weekend, so maybe no shooting Sunday. *sigh* This is so uncommon for this time of the year, it is almost funny, except that we are so thankful for the water. It has also been way warmer than usual.

I started the experiments: water freezing in a bottle filled to the rim with a balloon fitted over the top, and wax melted in a teaspoon, put out to set evenly. The first expands when freezing (very uncommon for a liquid turning to a solid), and other contracts. You are supposed to see the wax forming a hollow. I'm slowly but surely remembering my science from school. Now Brandt wants me to get hold of Na and K and test it for the boys in water! What! No thanks, I'll continue with dr. Wile's book. I'm sure he'll have a safe way of testing that reaction.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Now Brandt wants me to get hold of Na and K and test it for the boys in water! What! No thanks, I'll continue with dr. Wile's book. I'm sure he'll have a safe way of testing that reaction.

These were some of my favourite experiments from school :) Potassium is probably too violent of a reaction for you to want to test at home, but sodium should be safe, if you take precautions, and certainly lithium has a much more sedate reaction. Lithium has an extra wow factor as a metal with such low density that it will float on top of mineral oil. (oil floats on water and the metal floats on the oil). Either way there are lots of youtube videos demonstrating it too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

These were some of my favourite experiments from school :) Potassium is probably too violent of a reaction for you to want to test at home, but sodium should be safe, if you take precautions, and certainly lithium has a much more sedate reaction. Lithium has an extra wow factor as a metal with such low density that it will float on top of mineral oil. (oil floats on water and the metal floats on the oil). Either way there are lots of youtube videos demonstrating it too. 

Which was the one that danced on top of the water? Some just fizzed and sort of spluttered, but one element really hopped all over the place! That's about all I can remember, and that it was dangerous! We did these experiments in high school, and I don't see similar ones in the book, which is for up to gr.6. I think I'll rather stick to the book for now :P, and not throw my own experiments in, in between. In this chapter about water and air there is the well known experiment with Diet Coke and Mentos! That should cause quite a stir. They've seen it in Youtube videos, and yes, we'll be looking out for Youtube videos for experiments we can't do safely at home. Luckily Dr. Wile's website has links to his experiments on videos, so it won't be difficult to find them. Unfortunately science was a "learn to the test" subject for me in school. I got very high marks, and did science end out till matric (gr.12) on higher grade, but never totally understood the hows or whys. Now I have a second chance to really grasp why things react the way they do. Dr. Wile explains it very clearly. :love_heart: Brandt understands and loves science. When we start with the higher level books, I'll ask Brandt to do the experiments with us on a Saturday when he is home. But taking his enthusiasm into account, I might want to look at extra life insurance for him :pirate: Nah! He'll be careful. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Which was the one that danced on top of the water? Some just fizzed and sort of spluttered, but one element really hopped all over the place! That's about all I can remember, and that it was dangerous! We did these experiments in high school, and I don't see similar ones in the book, which is for up to gr.6. I think I'll rather stick to the book for now :P,

They all dance on the top of the water. Lithium just fizzes around a bit, sodium will have huge endothermic reaction and melt into a ball and skid around in a smaller and smaller ball until it disappears. Potassium is really fun because it'll spontaneously combust and spit bits of burning metal all over the place :P I loved science in high school, the score on my exams were a record for the school until they shut it a while after I left. 

I understand you preferring to stick to the book though :) getting side tracked doesn't always help. I'm just with Brandt for enthusiasm and excitement over the subject.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I understand you preferring to stick to the book though :) getting side tracked doesn't always help. I'm just with Brandt for enthusiasm and excitement over the subject.

I'll make sure you two don't get together when we do the experiments one day. Then I'll really need extra insurance :D

Well our water froze in the bottle, pushing the ice into the balloon. I only had long spiral balloons left, so there is ice right to the tip of it! I'll discuss it with the boys tomorrow, and take some photos.

We normally don't celebrate Mother's or Father's Day, but the boys decided that I'm getting a massage from Rocco and coffee in bed from Adam, on Sunday. We'll see how it goes :D

Also updated the financial spreadsheets, and while I was looking up new salary figures, etc. I came across a section which basically states that if you have a home office, which this is, because Brandt does a lot of work from home, and there isn't a company office anymore, you can claim your dogs' food and vet.bills as security costs. Not the full amount, but a % depending on your office size, etc. There were some other little points that I found out as well, which I was told wasn't applicable to us (at that time), but it now definitely is! So woot! woot! for learning more about finances, tax, and accounting :P So March finances updated and slips, etc. filed. Hope to do April this weekend. Also on the weekend list are the sewing, picking some avo's (if it stops raining), and get some sleep. This challenge isn't really going so well, but I'm trying to at least get some of my To do's done. I think this is going to be my last challenge for a bit.

It is still raining here: cold and misty, but I hope you guys and girls all have a fabulous weekend.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Now I have a second chance to really grasp why things react the way they do. Dr. Wile explains it very clearly.

This is one of the reason's homeschooling is so fun- you get to learn all sorts of cool new things too. 

The Summit Video's sound very helpful - you can call that day a teacher in-service day (in the states they have days where teachers take a day off for training)

• Like 2

Ok, so I never changed the update for Thursday, just copied and left Wednesday's. That's about how tired my brain was before I even left the house. I don't know what I'm doing with the challenge at the moment. I don't know what I'm aiming for and don't know what to check and what not. I'm frustrated and irritated because things don't fit in the boxes. I need to have it clear in my head otherwise I'm all up in the air, juggling things and feeling overwhelmed. It's not that difficult! Get with-it Elize!

ee65cc12aa5d9bb501af4d706d89bcc2.jpg

Friday 12 May 2017:

DAILY:

• Bible Study: Yes - prayed
  • Water/Tea: Yes - enough
  • Track Food: Nope -Rocco is back to eating what he wants, when he wants. Drinking milk throughout the night, and in general filling up as if they are bear cubs stuffing it in for winter! I feel like that too, but I'm trying to keep myself in check. I just seriously dislike (to the point of don't even show me the numbers) tracking my food with numbers. The first two weeks have already shown me that I'm eating too much at this stage. When I eat too much carbs, I don't get enough protein and/or fat in. I need to cut a bit on fat. So I guess the numbers did serve their purpose. The only reason I picked up weight, wasn't just because I'm eating the wrong kinds of food, but because we just have a lot more food available than people who lived in the primal times. I know what I need to eat, just less of it, especially because I'm not doing intensive strength training at the moment. And I feel guilty about it.
  • Sleep: Yes

WORK - WEEKLY:

• Morning stretches: √ Did some stretches throughout the day. Got off the ball a lot.

TO DO - CHALLENGE:

• Finances Spreadsheet: √ Updated and improved.
  • Finances: March updated.
  • Printers: Searched and gave hubby a list of printers from 3 places. Two we've never bought from (online shops), one from a shop close by, but their printers are for online shopping and delivery. Anyway, he has it, he has to do the math-finances.

• Nope
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

This is one of the reason's homeschooling is so fun- you get to learn all sorts of cool new things too. 

The Summit Video's sound very helpful - you can call that day a teacher in-service day (in the states they have days where teachers take a day off for training)

Yes, our schools do it too. I guess even though I know it happens, I feel guilty if I can't get to the boys' schooling. Then again, with the amount of self-learning they've done it was just about a normal day, without me saying let's do this now. I've also signed up for a pre-teen/teenager HS Summit in June. I really feel like I need to "update" myself on that phase, with Adam growing up so fast.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking about this past week - I am being guilt-ridden by myself! I feel guilty because I'm not getting to everything I personally set out to do, or change things up because I need something else, or don't stick to things I started off with. I don't need to feel guilty about it, I think? But just because my comfort zone has been knocked for a loop, doesn't mean I have to stop juggling.

Going to the shops now, then dvd shop to return, then home and do science work with the boys. Then I'm going to write out my challenge spreadsheet for next week.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sounds to me like the boys kept themselves busy and learned things on their own, so that's a win.

Yes, that's why I say I don't know why I feel guilty because they learn so much on their "off" time already. Like today with the science experiment. I asked Rocco so what is one big difference between a liquid and a solid, thinking he'll answer what I just showed them with the ice taking up more space than water, and the wax taking up less space as a solid than in liquid phase. Nope, he turned around and said the particles in the liquid moves faster than the particles in the solid. And he showed how it moved with his hands. So I just looked at him, and he casually said: "Yip, we learned it in iWonder!" Well, that covers the next experiment and piece to read...

Still raining on and off throughout the country, just about. Icy cold, with a berg wind blowing down the valley. I haven't written my spreadsheet out yet, but I'll hopefully do that tomorrow. I decided to get my mind off of everything and played Fable III. We'll probably not have shooting club tomorrow due to the weather, so then I'll do the washing, spreadsheet and whatever else I remember to do.

My mom had another incident. This time it didn't stress me out, I calmly answered the call and listened and spoke to my aunt and my mom. To me it sounds like she is regressing, but my aunt and uncle (and Brandt after I told him everything) sounds like they believe my mom is putting on an act when it suites her.

Spoiler

She said she just can't get along with my uncle, her brother. She wanted to move out to a friend whom she stayed with a couple of years ago, and I told her not going to happen as that friend has serious home and financial issues, and still has to look after her Aspergers grandson whom my mom couldn't get along with last time. She also has her two other grandchildren living with her, and welfare are looking in trying to help. That's the friend who phoned me a couple of weeks ago to find out where my mom was. So a couple minutes later my mom phoned me back and said she and my aunt and uncle had sorted their differences and she'll stay there. My uncle still asked me to look up the government pension home here in town, as they can't find a suitable place close to them where there is a facility which has caretakers/nurses. It's little things that upset him. He is a pin-neat man, always has been. His home is clean and tidy. Apparently a couple of times now, after he has just washed the floor, my mom walked in from outside, not wiping her feet, muddy prints over the clean floors. Today she wiped her wet, sticky, orange smeared hands (just ate an orange) on my aunts mohair blanket in her rush to get to my aunts cellphone that was ringing, to see who was ringing my aunt. If they eat crisps, she wants to count how much crisps are in each person's bowl to make sure that they aren't getting more than her. If my aunt walks outside a bit, my mom tags along all the time. They have set up a bed time for her now, just so they can have some privacy. They have to lock all the medication away, otherwise she sneakily tries to drink anything she can lay her hands on... I really can't see that she can stay in any place where she doesn't have supervision.

• Like 2

I don't think there is a part of my shoulders and back that don't ache. I've been sewing for most of today. Made two bags to cover the water filters outside. Stop the sun from shining on it, so stop algae growing, less cleaning, etc. etc. Both bags had double layers, thick dark inside material with a thin, slinky outside UV and water resistant layer. Fastens with velcro at the top.

Then spent another 3hrs+ cutting and sewing new slippers for the boys and I. Somehow I got the ankle cuff lengths on all three pairs of slippers wrong. They were too short. Improvised, and they fit, but pessimistic me isn't impressed with myself. I did however, manage to sew a thin rubber layer on to the outer sole of the boys' slippers so they don't go slipping and sliding on the wooden floors. In hind sight could have used them to polish the floors... I added a faux leather outer sole to my slippers for those quick runs out of the house, which I shouldn't do, but the Crocs aren't always close by.

All the washing done, even the duvet on our bed that was the recipient of dog-vomit sometime this morning. I don't know which dog was the culprit.

Rocco is back on track with food - sort of. Today Adam got stuck in the banana ice-cream I made a while ago. I'm back on track, except for water, which I forget to drink when I'm busy with things like sewing.

SUMMARY of the last three weeks so I can see what I've done and what not. I call it "Elize needs perspective" -

Spoiler

HEALTH : DAILY

• Bible Study (should be called quiet time):
  • Water/Tea
  • Food (the boys and I)
  • Sleep
  1. All four points done most of the week. Might have missed one or two days, from a very quick scan through my notes.
  2. I marked Bible study X, but I did have quiet time by praying and listening. So that should actually count. Water and food tracking went well, except on two days that I missed. Sleeping 4/7 nights went to bed on time.
  3. This past week: Prayer, articles, online Bible reading done most days. Water went well, except since the cold came in this weekend. Food tracking a miss for most of the week. I only tracked Monday and Tuesday. Struggled a lot with Rocco's eating, not to mention my own cravings, so didn't even try to track. Sleep was good too! Missed two nights of going to bed on time, and those were the nights I stayed up late watching other summit videos.

WORK : WEEKLY

• Gardening: Mowing OR pruning OR weeding OR planting (1-2x/week)
  • My Strength Circuit (1x/week)
  • Geocaching/Long Walk (1x/week)
  • Dry Fire Drills (1x/week)
  • Morning stretches (replaced strength from week 3)
  • Get off the ball frequently (started in week 3 - replaced desk chair with a ball)
  1. Struggled for half of the week with bad sinus, only managed to mow once that week. Also long weekend, so everything was out of routine and out of sorts. Strength circuit Monday this week. I'm actually all confused between week 0 and week 1. Also did some other gardening this week it seems. Dry fire drills one of these two weeks as well.
  2. Managed a long, long walk with the boys that Sunday at the cycling. Played on the beach with the boys the same day. Worked in the garden that Wednesday. Walked again with the boys that Friday.
  3. No gardening due to weather, and being distracted. 3x morning stretches which I started this week, instead of set strength training. Walked a lot with Adam during Playball, and an extra hour on my feet during Rocco's soccer matches. Moving around on the ball a lot. A lot of up and down, stretching here too, and I do actually tend to walk around the house a lot during the day.

TO DO LIST:

• Finances: Update spreadsheet - March - April
  • Proof Reading: +- 1hr = 1x session (not the whole book at once, which is 400+ pages)
  • Update telephone and birthdays books
  • Sewing: block out filter covers - slippers - fix Serenity's seat
  • Other things that pop up - they usually do
  1. Updated the telephone book. Decided to wait with the birthday book till end of the year. Will rather update next year's annual planner as usual, and give birthday book to a friend whose been asking for one.
  2. Hand sewing, the non-machine stuff. Proof reading two late nights.
  3. Finances spreadsheet and March updated. Printer search done. A lot of sewing with the machine, or does that count for week 4? Donated blood.

Wanna Do's During the Challenge

• Camp in the garden with the boys, even for half a night's sleep under the stars (ok, tent or shelter will be preferable)
  • Chop some fire wood
  • Climb high up on the ladder to pick some avo's (mil would be very happy)
  • Learn some rope knots
  • Look at the stars (search for known constellations)
  1. Climbed high on the ladder to pick avo's - only once, but have to again for this coming week. When it isn't raining, and the wind isn't trying to blow us away.
  2. Saw the Morning/Evening star and discussed it with the boys.
  3. One night the moon was really orange. Adam called us outside and we discussed it at that moment, but it wasn't a constellation/star discussion.

HEALTH : DAILY

Really struggling with food tracking, especially this last week. The rest is usually done, except maybe one or two days at most.

WORK : WEEKLY

This has been off for the last two weeks. Ok this week the weather was inconvenient w.r.t. gardening, got a good walk in. This week was also thrown out of sinc by the summit videos, which I could only watch late at night, or during the morning. Managed stretches, and getting off the ball frequently.

TO DO LIST:

Ok, mostly done, except for April finances. Have a new book to start proof reading from week 4 (not urgent), and by end of week 4 will probably have a second book that needs to be proof read urgently.

Wanna Do's During the Challenge

During week 2 I managed to do some things here, but nothing else yet. Weather not really lending itself to camping in the garden, or chopping firewood. But this list is only "would be nice to do, but not seriously part of the challenge".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not doing as well as I would like to, and I know I must just pull myself together and get at it again. A lot of "almost fighting" about food this last week, which made me very negative. The "Work Weekly" is where I need to focus on more.

• Like 2

Spoiler

I think you're right that your mom will have to end up in assisted living/government pension home. I don't think it's wise for her to be in one close to you, however. It sounds like she is reaching a point where she is not going to have a say where she lives. She's acting like a child, perhaps it's time to treat her like a child.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:
  Hide contents

I think you're right that your mom will have to end up in assisted living/government pension home. I don't think it's wise for her to be in one close to you, however. It sounds like she is reaching a point where she is not going to have a say where she lives. She's acting like a child, perhaps it's time to treat her like a child.

Spoiler

Well all the places have a waiting list of at least a couple of months, and only government is affordable. The more expensive places have waiting lists of years! My aunt said that they will now have a set schedule and chore list for her, because it seems they have to spell everything out. Don't pick up our phones, don't do this, don't do that. Go to bed at this time, medication at a set time, and they put hers in a specific place, never changing it. She also can't go stay with my mil, because mil said she can't take care of her, she still works full time, and my mom would be alone at home for most of the day. We'll just have to see how it goes.

• Like 1

I'm miffed! Ok, I was angry, am over it now, but irritated. I made an appointment for today, weeks ago with our financial advisor about being the executor of our will. Got to his office just to be told that there was a mix up and they weren't sure whether I confirmed or were going to phone back, so they used that appointment for someone else. I asked her why would I phone again and again when I've made the appointment? And if they weren't sure because of what the then secretary (she left in the meantime) wrote in the diary, why didn't they phone me to confirm? Uhhmm, she doesn't know, she is so sorry, but can't I come back later? Almost told her how much she is inconveniencing me, because I have to go back, come back with two boys. We had to cut our school day short to be in time. Brandt had to take time off from his office/work for this appointment, but instead just told her that no, later today won't suite me, we'll have to make it another day. It wasn't her fault in the first place, she was just trying to save the situation. Now it's set for Thursday. So I asked her whether she was sure, it's set. I am not going to phone to confirm, I've got it on my cellphone now, as a set appointment. "Yes ma'am, it's set. We'll see you and your husband on Thursday."

Ok, I feel better. A whole hour and half wasted, make that two hours. I've given the boys till 14h00, then we'll continue with the math. They wanted to see who got the most sums right. Then we'll do the next science experiment. This is turning out to be a long day. It is still cold and wet, raining in dribs and drabs. I think we've skipped autumn and gone straight to winter, although we normally don't have any rain during winter.

-----------------------------------

Sunday 14 May 2017:

DAILY:

• Joint stretches: √ Yes, during the day.
  • Bible Study: Yes - prayed
  • Water/Tea: Nope - not enough
    • I am not continuing with the tracking. I know how much I've been eating, and also that a lot of carbs, and gluten products were eaten. I need to cut on my food intake. Ok, I've cut on my food intake from this past weekend. Not waiting for the next challenge. I'm just moving forward as I know what needs to be done. I'm checking the boys, not tracking them.
  • Sleep: Yes. Difficult to get up in the morning when it is still dark. Hope you guys enjoy all the sunshine up North.

WORK - WEEKLY:

• Nope - was raining. Did the washing and sewing. Didn't even continue with Fable III and I so want to right now.

TO DO - CHALLENGE:

• Nope - mostly done. Only April finances and new proof reading books left.

• Nope - didn't have to climb high to pick avos. The wind blew an arm full down for me.

W.r.t. the challenge. For this challenge I'll still pay the boys for what we're doing. They've earned a pretty penny so far, and I've earned enough for another hair cut or treat or some kind or another. Maybe one of those books heaping up in my Amazon wish list? From next challenge Adam needs to improve his Afrikaans reading fluency, so I said I'll pay him R5 for every book he reads out loud. Rocco wants to know what he can do to earn money. He doesn't want to be paid for doing his sport. He likes it, and wants to do it. He doesn't want to be paid for sleeping on time, eating right, etc. so I said reading is also an option for him. We can write the books they've read in the back of their notebook, so we can keep track of them.

I'll try to get to the garden 1x a week.    } MONDAY or WEDNESDAY (depending on the weather, etc.)

Rocco does Playball and plays soccer. } TUESDAY

Adam walks with me during Playball.     } TUESDAY

I HAVE TO do 1x D.F.D. 1x a week.       } THURSDAY (evening)

We try to do a long walk 1x a week together. } FRIDAY

Focus on getting hiking ready. Focus on finding Geocaches. The challenge is almost done and we haven't gone out once to find a cache! That's bad! But the weather and life intervened. We'll get there.

• Like 2