• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SkyGirl

The Silver Archer: The Battle Moves North

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That hair looks awesome. The color suits you. I like how what you had done gives you the option to show it off or hide it.

59 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

Seconding Tank. I love the colour!

Thanks guys!! I love putting colors in my hair, but I do give myself the option to keep them hidden because I interact with a lot of different kinds of people in my work, and I don't want to scare anybody.  :)  Someday when I'm tenured faculty, I will dye the whole thing blue. I mean, I will probably be about 55 years old by the time I finally get tenure, but still. ;) 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

@Rhovaniel@Elastigirl

This is after the first washing, too - I was afraid the blue was going to wash out in the shower, like my previous color stripes have done, but this one stayed beautifully and looks just as brilliant. :) 

Ms. Moros approves!

I also know a lot of pre-tenure and post-tenure academic women who dye their hair wild colors, but probably not in all fields :)

• Like 1

Well, so ... yeah, this challenge kind of ... petered out.

giphy.gif

It was genuinely mostly because of finals week coming in the middle of my challenge and stripping away all desire to do anything besides survive, and I get that; but I need to focus on recovery and reestablishing habits during Week Zero so I don't slide apathetically into Week One.

Some things I did well; I identified some new muscle groups that need work and started working on them, which is great. I also managed to be fairly reasonable in what I ate during finals week and did not gain back weight (actually, because of stress, I lost weight; but that's not a good thing). I did well on all my exams and finished with all A's, which is fabulous.

On the other hand, however, my gym consistency plummeted sharply (I didn't go at all last week, despite having a much more flexible schedule), my sleeping schedule has gone haywire, and I have loaded up on carbs, sugar, and fat in the last 10 or so days. I have also not been observing boundaries again, and letting myself get used as a free counselor until I reach the point where I angrily shout "NO" across the room at my phone every time I hear a notification.

The first thing I need to do is to get back to my gym schedule - every time I let my regularly scheduled gym day slip by, it gets easier to do so the next time, and the next time. I want to stop that cycle and commit to getting there twice a week, every week, with only class and family commitments taking precedence. I'm also going to buy some dumbbells to keep in the house, so I have zero excuses.

The second thing I need to do is set a few, manageable goals for the beginning of the next challenge, and then give myself room to go back and revise and update them week by week if necessary. Not so complicated - simple goals will keep me motivated. They need to come from the goals I identified in this post.

The third thing I need to do is a subset of the second thing, and that is to set goals for getting up early. I am naturally a night owl - when I don't regulate myself, I go to bed around 2 or 3 a.m. and get up around 10 or 11 a.m. However, that really hampers my productivity during the week, because it only gives me the afternoons to get to campus and meet with people and work in my office. So I need to find a way to motivate myself to get up early and go to bed early like I do during the semester, and ignore that nasty little voice that says "But you don't have any morning appointments ... you can sleep just a little longer."

And the last thing I need to do is order the "Boundaries" book - I tried to find it in my local used-book store, but couldn't, so I need to order it ASAP. I have got to learn to protect myself from reaching that point where I'm so burned out that I yell at my phone notifications because I have no energy left to deal with other people's problems. That helps no one.

So that's my Week Zero checklist:

Week Zero Goals

- Go to gym twice

- Choose reward for getting up at 9AM every day

- Buy dumbbells

- Set 3 or 4 small, yes-or-no, manageable goals for next challenge

- Buy "Boundaries" book

• Like 4

Aaaand, I split this post in two so I didn't sit at 666 posts (eek!) ... but I'm thinking of giving Sky a one-month break and doing a Wonder Woman-themed challenge:

My summer is going to be very monotonous and quiet for the most part, so there won't be too much to allegorize; and even though I'm a diehard Marvel girl, I'm so excited for this movie that it could be super motivating to craft a challenge around that.

Maybe Sky will go through a portal and train with warriors from another dimension for a month ... maybe Mistral will take her into the future or the past. Maybe Mistral is actually a mage who can bring people from other times to come and train with them.

Oooh, the possibilities!!!

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, SkyGirl said:

Maybe Sky will go through a portal and train with warriors from another dimension for a month ... maybe Mistral will take her into the future or the past. Maybe Mistral is actually a mage who can bring people from other times to come and train with them.

Oooh, the possibilities!!!

The Golden Lasso of Truth is at least a cousin to the Silver Bow.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The Golden Lasso of Truth is at least a cousin to the Silver Bow.

*gasp*

That's true, isn't it??

ohh.gif?fit=360,208&resize=350,200 

• Like 2

Ok I caught up. (Again. [Sorry.]) I looooove your hair!!! *squeaks* It suits you so well. <3 <3 <3

From the sound of it, you have chosen very good goals for going into the May challenge. I'll keep an eye out for your challenge thread! And... I'll try to actually keep up with people this time, heh. :P