• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

momoxstarx

Deadlift form check pls (conventional)

10 posts in this topic

One: do you always deadlift in heels? If so, can I ask why? Not saying it's wrong, you're not the first person I've seen Di it, just wondering.

two: you drop your hips super low then they sort of bounce up before you actually manage to shift the weight. If this is your method of getting tight, no worries, but if it's where you think you should be pulling from, you're probably losing tightness before the bar starts to move. 

The weight looks pretty light for you, so any form breakdown or places where you'd be leaking power aren't really showing up. But your back looked pretty straight and you pushed through with your hips and kept the weight against your body, so it all looks pretty good.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

One: do you always deadlift in heels? If so, can I ask why?

My thoughts exactly. I'd be worried about it pitching you forward out of position, especially as weight increases.

Other than that I'll just second the other stuff Juni0r83 said.

I used to always train in vibrams until January this year when I bought my first pair of squat shoes.  I should take them off after squats but I get lazy. I have deadlift slippers and Ishould really practice in those. But ihate how they feel. Doing deads in heels aren't bad, though. However,  the weight shift might get concerning- I see that. I'm at a loss for good deadlift shoes. 

1 hour ago, momoxstarx said:

I used to always train in vibrams until January this year when I bought my first pair of squat shoes.  I should take them off after squats but I get lazy. I have deadlift slippers and Ishould really practice in those. But ihate how they feel. Doing deads in heels aren't bad, though. However,  the weight shift might get concerning- I see that. I'm at a loss for good deadlift shoes. 

I just deadlift in my socks. I too have slippers that I don't like using, they're pretty much confined to the platform where I'm not allowed to deadlift in just socks. And I know most places don't allow you to not wear closed in shoes while at the gym (I work out in a commercial gym, they too have that rule), but I just ignore them and do it anyway. Management at my branch are cool with it.

Side note, easier to ask forgiveness than permission, I wouldn't ask if it's okay, I'd wait to be told it's not. But you know your gym better than I do. If that sort of behavior is likely to get your membership cancelled, maybe don't risk it.

My lifting program has squat and bench first, so I do those and then change into my flat shoes for the rest of the workout. That is one way to not be switching shoes multiple times during the day, to plan your lift order so squats come first. 

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

My lifting program has squat and bench first, so I do those and then change into my flat shoes for the rest of the workout. That is one way to not be switching shoes multiple times during the day, to plan your lift order so squats come first. 

or last...

1 person likes this

On 5/4/2017 at 0:39 PM, Juni0r83 said:

or last...

or just squat in flat shoes and only use heals when you're doing competition prep. Work your ankle mobility.

I've heard a lot of people use wrestling shoes for deadlifting. I wear SABO deadlift shoes, which are similar but have a metatarsal strap for extra support. And they say "DEADLIFT" on said strap, so I have shoes emblazoned with the name of my favourite lift :D.

Last summer I managed to pull both of my glutes (upper parts, near my lower back) during a warm-up set by setting up too low, with my shoulders slightly behind the bar - I lost tightness when my hips rose and I rocked forward. You look like you're doing a better job of keeping your lower back tight after moving your hips up than I was, but as others have mentioned it's still something to keep in mind. Starting Strength has a good description of how to set up for deadlifts (including when NOT to move) if you have access to it.