• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Vibrantella

Vibrantella's Placeholding Challenge

A time of flux.  Excitement, stress, anxiety, change.  I'm unable to set and follow strict goals this time, but unwilling to disappear, as I'm afraid of not coming back.

The major theme of this challenge is adventure, as we're celebrating Mr V.'s significant birthday with 2 weeks in the US, visiting Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and NYC (all new destinations for me) :D . However, around this I have to fit in my final paper for this year (first of 2) of my MA in Classical Studies.  Additional stress has come from family health - my BIL has just had emergency surgery to install a pacemaker (he's better now), and my SIL has been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's, which has been quite upsetting.

Instead of keeping my strength up with good self care, my food and fitness have gone all over the place.  I'm still low carbing, but have been bingeing (even if LC, quantity does matter!) and it's not under control yet.  Because of (potential) injury to my knee, I have reduced the volume and frequency of weight lifting (maybe/probably too much), and now I have to think very carefully about my future fitness programme.  As an energy worker, I know that meditation would help with everything, but do I do it?   Rhetorical question, obv.

I have also had a DEXA scan, which was very positive about muscle mass and bone density (I really am big-boned, hey!  Who'd believe that!? :D) .  Not so positive about fat mass, though, but it was expected (and obvious - I am still in the overweight category, at 28 BMI, even though it's a great improvement from 40 where I was a couple of years ago).

My placeholding quests, during the trip, are as follows:

1.  Food:

Eat low carb, as much as I want, no guilt.  Also, don't eat when my body doesn't want it, even if my mind thinks it would be comforting.

2.  Fitness:

Do some mobility exercises every day - it could be a couple of sets of BW squats and stretching.

Continue Walking to Mordor - I think that should be fine, we plan to do a lot of walking/hiking

3.  Mindfulness

Daily gratitude; if I feel like adding a meditation, so be it ;)

After the trip, I plan to be writing furiously but also think about my next challenge - in effect, have additional Zero Weeks (as trialled and traileblazed by @RedStone)

Thanks for reading, and good luck everyone!

• Like 9

Happy Birthday to Mr V!

I had a lot of fun when we went to Vegas for Christmas - but we DID NOT get to go to the Grand Canyon - so I'm JEALOUS about that :)

Sorry about the excrement-storm life has thrown your way.  I feel your pain.  Great job setting realistic goals during this time so you can take care of yourself - because you WILL need to!  Try to have some fun - and the Grand Canyon should be a great place to inspire meditation - even if it includes mindful movement.  Remember meditation does NOT necessarily mean sitting down - I consider focusing and enjoying a cup of tea and emptying my mind meditation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

1.  Food:

Eat low carb, as much as I want, no guilt.  Also, don't eat when my body doesn't want it, even if my mind thinks it would be comforting.

2.  Fitness:

Do some mobility exercises every day - it could be a couple of sets of BW squats and stretching.

Continue Walking to Mordor - I think that should be fine, we plan to do a lot of walking/hiking

3.  Mindfulness

Daily gratitude; if I feel like adding a meditation, so be it ;)

I like your not-goals.  I think I ended up with something similar (low carb food, some exercise, and some mindfulness/meditation), probably something about human nature that way.  Your trip looks exciting, if grueling to go to three places so far from each other (and so different!).  I am planning for a big trip later in the year (and trying to get in shape for it) but nothing like yours!

• Like 2

I like your approach! Life's pace changes, and it's natural that some times will be about growth and pushing forward, and some times will be about maintaining past success in a tumultuous time. I'm glad you're sticking around because if this place is useful, you want to keep the streak going :D

Sorry to hear about your family members' health challenges, but hopefully treatment and rest get them as well as possible. And good luck on your paper!

12 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Also, don't eat when my body doesn't want it, even if my mind thinks it would be comforting.

I really like the way you've phrased that! I need to tattoo that on my arm...

12 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

I have also had a DEXA scan, which was very positive about muscle mass and bone density (I really am big-boned, hey!  Who'd believe that!? :D) .  Not so positive about fat mass, though, but it was expected (and obvious - I am still in the overweight category, at 28 BMI, even though it's a great improvement from 40 where I was a couple of years ago).

So cool! I want to get this done at some point.

• Like 2

Thanks all! We're in Vegas but I've unfortunately succumbed to travel sickness, including migraine. Hope that a good night's sleep will be the solution.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

Thanks all! We're in Vegas but I've unfortunately succumbed to travel sickness, including migraine. Hope that a good night's sleep will be the solution.

Yep - hit me in London my first day.  You're probably dehydrated to boot.  Drink LOTS of water!

• Like 2

Ugh that sucks. Drink lots of water to help combat the dryness out there. It's amazing how easy it is to get dehydrated in Vegas. Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, I am better, even if not a 100%. Walking a lot, and went to the hotel gym this morning. They didn't have any barbels, so I played with the machines and did a front squat set with those small, preloaded bars - now I have bruised shoulders. On a positive side, played the roulette for the first time ever and won twice in a row! We're talking pin money, but it's still fun to beat the house.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Vibrantella said:

played the roulette for the first time ever and won twice in a row! We're talking pin money, but it's still fun to beat the house.

Um, if I won at roulette twice in a row - I'd go buy lottery tickets.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Thanks everyone, I am better, even if not a 100%. Walking a lot, and went to the hotel gym this morning. They didn't have any barbels, so I played with the machines and did a front squat set with those small, preloaded bars - now I have bruised shoulders. On a positive side, played the roulette for the first time ever and won twice in a row! We're talking pin money, but it's still fun to beat the house.

Glad to hear you feel better. <3

• Like 2

Today I tried sugar-free gelato at the Venetian. Very good, and not too sweet tasting. Still, only because it's holidays!

Did some stretching and BW squats and pushups. Lots of walking too. Also had a good meditation session in the garden. All in all, an excellent challenge day!

• Like 8

Lovely!

Was the gelato sweetened with anything?

Unfortunately, it was, with splenda, which I normally avoid. My gut didn't really like it, although to be fair, I've been suffering since the plane journey. As a one-off, I enjoyed the treat!

• Like 4

On 4/27/2017 at 0:30 AM, Vibrantella said:

Did some stretching and BW squats and pushups. Lots of walking too. Also had a good meditation session in the garden. All in all, an excellent challenge day!

Garden meditation sounds sooooo relaxing. I really  need to get a hammock for the yard. 

• Like 1

The Grand Canyon was an amazing experience! It included a night on an old-fashioned ranch, horse riding, doing the Skywalk and a trail down the South Rim (which was mega challenging as my vertigo seems to have worsened with age, but TBH even Mr, V struggled). Oh, and achievement unlocked for spending a night in a tent on a GC campground. It was so cold, but the night sky was stunningly beautiful.

Regarding the challenge, food was 75%, fitness 80-85% and mindfulness 90%. We've arrived in NYC now so it will be easier to find LC food. It was surprisingly difficult to get a no-sugar added peanut butter in both Nevada and Arizona Walmarts - and there was a lot of PB to choose from. That is not why my food score is lower, though - I succumbed to the lure of an IHOP! Not even a whole pancake, mind - but a lot of smoky maple syrup on it and my bacon and eggs. : D

• Like 7