ForestGoddess Declares a Respawn... after a year in Captivity

ForestGoddess

3 hours ago, ForestGoddess said:

even though it looks sucky on paper, I learned some valuable things that I will take into next week...may next week be a more successful week on paper, lol.

So much this. Learning = Knowledge = Strength

• Like 1

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: Rhovaniel looks Inwards, to change Outwards

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26

This weekend was crazy busy so I never had a chance to check in. I did mostly good. I hope to have a tally later today. In good news I totally decluttered one of my 2 spots yesterday, so now I just have to donate what I don't want to keep!

On to a new week...Ranger on...

• Like 4

Race: Human;  Class: Ranger; Level: 1

Challenges: Challenge 1Challenge 2Challenge 3

Epic Quest:  My Character

18 hours ago, ForestGoddess said:

This weekend was crazy busy so I never had a chance to check in. I did mostly good. I hope to have a tally later today. In good news I totally decluttered one of my 2 spots yesterday, so now I just have to donate what I don't want to keep!

On to a new week...Ranger on...

Woohoo! Well done for carrying on through the crazy busy, it can be tough but it will pay off!

2017: Year of the Epic Travel Adventure

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Current challenge - Metallica Theme

Previous: 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle log/inspiration thread

31 minutes ago, ForestGoddess said:

I really don't like my scoring system...so I am going to revamp it and edit my challenge.  It doesn't give me enough satisfaction so I have been lazy about scoring....which leads to lazy about doing the challenge...more later.

Ranger on...

Good plan to revamp it now. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what works, 

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

2 hours ago, ForestGoddess said:

I KNEW I didn't want to just eat junk food...and yet I did anyway? Why are the bad habits so damn powerful and the pitiful good habits take forever to get established, and don't work the majority of the time???? Ugh

(slowly) Ranger on...

Because we've been reinforcing the bad habits for a long time, and they take time to break down. I know, it's frustrating, because I'm in the same place. But I'm learning to be patient. What exactly about the habits (do not call them pitiful, any attempt to better your health is worthy of praise) do you feel aren't working for you most of the time? 

• Like 5

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26

Building any new habits take time, and don't forget that junk food is full of all that yummy salt and fat that triggers the reward centers in our brain ... healthy food doesn't give us that warm happy feeling after we eat it like junk food does, so it's necessarily going to be a more uphill habit to build. But, as you keep training yourself and get used to eating vegetables and fruits and grains and healthy proteins, you'll definitely start to notice a difference in how your body feels after you eat healthy, natural foods, versus how it feels when you eat less healthy, processed foods. You'll have more energy as your body adjusts to, and expects, real food.

Keep Rangering on! It sometimes seems, even when reading these forums, that what makes Rangers great is their strength and ability to do awesome things ... but in reality, the thing that makes us great is that when we trip and fall, we get right back up, pick up all the stuff that fell out of our rucksacks, adjust our belts, and keep moving forward. That is the spirit of "Rangering through". 

Make a good choice at your next meal! What happened is over, but you have another chance right in front of you! You've got this!!

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

6 hours ago, ForestGoddess said:

I KNEW I didn't want to just eat junk food...and yet I did anyway? Why are the bad habits so damn powerful and the pitiful good habits take forever to get established, and don't work the majority of the time???? Ugh

(slowly) Ranger on...

Ranger on indeed!

One thing that helps me when I have a junk food craving is to eat a small (measured) portion of nuts or trail mix. I almost never feel like I want to eat that, but once I do, I feel much better and the cravings often go away.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

14 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Because we've been reinforcing the bad habits for a long time, and they take time to break down. I know, it's frustrating, because I'm in the same place. But I'm learning to be patient. What exactly about the habits (do not call them pitiful, any attempt to better your health is worthy of praise) do you feel aren't working for you most of the time? 

Patience has been one of my major challenges. I use up all my patience on other things so I have none left over for myself. Most of my habits work  and most of my world is good - the eating piece of the puzzle is just kicking my ass. I really feel like I should have more control than I do over my own actions and it is so frustrating to me. I could have the best intentions to never eat (fill in the blank) again, and yet 5 minutes later I am shoving that same thing, or something in the same category into my mouth at alarming rates. Now I have made great strides towards a clean healthy diet - I haven't had a significant candy/chips/etc binge in quite some time. But it still isn't where I want it to be and it makes me sad.

13 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Building any new habits take time, and don't forget that junk food is full of all that yummy salt and fat that triggers the reward centers in our brain ... healthy food doesn't give us that warm happy feeling after we eat it like junk food does, so it's necessarily going to be a more uphill habit to build. But, as you keep training yourself and get used to eating vegetables and fruits and grains and healthy proteins, you'll definitely start to notice a difference in how your body feels after you eat healthy, natural foods, versus how it feels when you eat less healthy, processed foods. You'll have more energy as your body adjusts to, and expects, real food.

Keep Rangering on! It sometimes seems, even when reading these forums, that what makes Rangers great is their strength and ability to do awesome things ... but in reality, the thing that makes us great is that when we trip and fall, we get right back up, pick up all the stuff that fell out of our rucksacks, adjust our belts, and keep moving forward. That is the spirit of "Rangering through". 

Make a good choice at your next meal! What happened is over, but you have another chance right in front of you! You've got this!!

See that's one thing...I never notice an increase in energy when I am eating healthy. What does feeling energetic feel like?

10 hours ago, Xena said:

Ranger on indeed!

One thing that helps me when I have a junk food craving is to eat a small (measured) portion of nuts or trail mix. I almost never feel like I want to eat that, but once I do, I feel much better and the cravings often go away.

I do need to find some satisfying reward type snack that will outweigh any junk food craving. Usually though the only thing that will satisfy it is if I eat large amounts of bread! And I know bread isn't horrible but the quantities I can eat just to feel satisfied are crazy.

Okay I took yesterday to wallow in self pity and I am back with my Badass Ranger Attitude saying the hell with those bad habit demons...their days are numbered. I don't really know what that number will be but they are not long for this world, I do know that. Today I will practice being aware of the choices I make and the reasons why I make the choices I do. Mindfulness in the face of unconsciousness might be part of the solution I need.  I already have had breakfast and have lunch and a good snack here at work with me. I also will make a menu for myself in addition to the one I made for the family. Winging dinner for myself is not the best solution when I want to choose what I eat. Part of that problem is I always go by what I feel like eating that  day, which I am sure is not the smart way to go :P 

Okay I have a plan, now it's time to execute it...

Ranger on...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ForestGoddess said:

I do need to find some satisfying reward type snack that will outweigh any junk food craving. Usually though the only thing that will satisfy it is if I eat large amounts of bread! And I know bread isn't horrible but the quantities I can eat just to feel satisfied are crazy.

Would pasta or rice work in a similar way for you? The good thing about those two options is that you have to cook them. So you can measure out how much you want and have exactly that much. By the time you got around to cooking more, you would probably have started to feel a little more full.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

10 hours ago, ForestGoddess said:

Patience has been one of my major challenges. I use up all my patience on other things so I have none left over for myself. Most of my habits work  and most of my world is good - the eating piece of the puzzle is just kicking my ass. I really feel like I should have more control than I do over my own actions and it is so frustrating to me. I could have the best intentions to never eat (fill in the blank) again, and yet 5 minutes later I am shoving that same thing, or something in the same category into my mouth at alarming rates. Now I have made great strides towards a clean healthy diet - I haven't had a significant candy/chips/etc binge in quite some time. But it still isn't where I want it to be and it makes me sad.

I've never been accused of having too much patience either :P But I'm learning. As for the control thing... we are human, and humans are fallible. Add to that what @SkyGirl says, the sugar and salt in junk food that literally has us addicted, and we are taking on giants. But we can even the playing field somewhat. Meal prep, taking healthy snacks to work with you (or even just healthier, and then gradually make the replacements better and better) is a great start. Like you, when I don't plan is when I'm likely to slip up. Drink lots of water too. I find my body sometimes says 'I'm hungry' when what it really means is 'I need a drink'. Can you avoid those foods you feel you can't control from you completely? 

The energy feeling will come. Again.. patience! (easier to say than do, I know!)

Okay yesterday was a much better day than Wednesday. And today is starting off good. I tracked and ate totally within my goals yesterday, no excess anything. Big Win. Second big win was the scale finally moved down today after almost 2 months of being on a plateau! A step in the right direction, most definitely.  

This isn't how I thought my challenge would go but...it's all good, I am progressing and that is the important part.- maybe by the next challenge I will have figured out a scoring system I like :P 

Ranger on...

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I've never been accused of having too much patience either :P But I'm learning. As for the control thing... we are human, and humans are fallible. Add to that what @SkyGirl says, the sugar and salt in junk food that literally has us addicted, and we are taking on giants. But we can even the playing field somewhat. Meal prep, taking healthy snacks to work with you (or even just healthier, and then gradually make the replacements better and better) is a great start. Like you, when I don't plan is when I'm likely to slip up. Drink lots of water too. I find my body sometimes says 'I'm hungry' when what it really means is 'I need a drink'. Can you avoid those foods you feel you can't control from you completely? 

The energy feeling will come. Again.. patience! (easier to say than do, I know!)

I have tried avoidance with not so successful consequences. For me i really need to come to terms with the food's and find a way to co-exist peacefully with them.  Evolving strategies...

Ranger on...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ForestGoddess said:

This isn't how I thought my challenge would go but...it's all good, I am progressing and that is the important part.- maybe by the next challenge I will have figured out a scoring system I like

They never seem to go the way you think they will. But, progress is super important! Hang your hat on that and as you keep progressing, you will start to change those habits for good.

Ranger On!

• Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

On 5/5/2017 at 2:09 PM, jstanlick said:

They never seem to go the way you think they will. But, progress is super important! Hang your hat on that and as you keep progressing, you will start to change those habits for good.

Ranger On!

I am beginning to see that even though the challenge isn't going as I wanted, I might be doing better than I would have if I had been rigid in following the plan.

I am still here and I am still Rangering on...it was a busy weekend, mostly with house chores but some of those were due to preparing food ahead for the week.  I have a menu for myself and I actually have been sticking to it, bonus.

I have not been doing my strength workouts...but that is partially because I have some shoulder mobility issues that I am starting massage for this week. So if the massage improves my mobility then I will be more determined to get the strength workouts going. I have a hard time motivating to do any upper body strength when my shoulder is so tweaky that if I lift it wrong I get pain.  I have however been doing random strength exercises (squats, counter push-ups (can't do regular ones yet), whatever core exercises strike my fancy...) throughout the day, so I haven't been totally sloth-like. And my running streak is still going strong - I ran 30.2 miles last week and the streak is 129 days old after my run this morning.

I have also been tracking my nutrition on MFP for a couple of months and am starting to see the benefits of that. Plus I increased my water intake last week and I think that has made a huge difference and has contributed to the scale moving down finally! Only 9.2 lbs to goal weight.

I didn't get to any decluttering this weekend but...it wasn't like I was sitting around either, so I am not going to beat myself up about it. It is on the radar...it will get done.

Ranger on...

• Like 6

On 5/8/2017 at 3:25 PM, ForestGoddess said:

I am beginning to see that even though the challenge isn't going as I wanted, I might be doing better than I would have if I had been rigid in following the plan.

From where I'm sitting it still looks like a whole lot of changes and reading through your thread there is so much self-awareness, adaptation and planning for the future, I'm inspired :) Hope this week went well!

• Like 1

2017: Year of the Epic Travel Adventure

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Current challenge - Metallica Theme

Previous: 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle log/inspiration thread

On 5/8/2017 at 9:25 AM, ForestGoddess said:

Ranger on...

Forward progress is forward progress.  Keep going!

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack