• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

darkfoxx

Darkfoxx 36: Rebuilding A Solid Base - Again - And Maybe For Good This Time

You guys. I wish this pic came with smell-o-vision. My living room smells like the sea and sounds like a hyperactive rooster.

c5ad8c0f65b6ecbc93962668852705fd.jpg

Yesterday

Goal 1: Work Out

Day 3 of my 14-day yoga thing happened. Walked to a brewery to check it out in the pm.

The walk was decent, the beer was good, but it's not really our scene.

Goal 2: Macros

1591 Calories

76g protein

70g carbs

97g fats

Yay, almost dead on Macros

Breakfast: No-atmeal with berries & coffee

Lunch: Yuzu sesame salad with bacon & avocado

Dinner: Pork chop with spinach

Snack: 1 sour beer

Snack: Macadamia nuts

Goal 3: Get A Job

Worked on my portfolio/learning Grid a bit

Revamped a version of my resume to be more project management heavy

Copywriting

Goal 4: Rando

Kitchen cleaned

Living room picked up

Bed made

Broccoli sprouts started

Looked into getting a meat CSA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Mmm, I like the idea of pesto in tuna salad.. I shall use this as a base and come up with something that won't taste remotely like what inspired it

Go macros!

• Like 1

Yesterday

Had a near perfect day outings-wise. Headed to South Street Seaport for their 50th anniversary bash - learned about 19th century printmaking, impulse bought some art, walked around in the warm sun with bare legs, toured an old boat, learned about tattoo history, and popped into some hipster shops.

Then we hooked up with the building gardeners who were celebrating getting bees for the hives and had some great conversation.

BWAHAHAHA NO

I was at waaaay the fuck over before we got home and quit tracking.

Breakfast: Coffee, a blueberry Quest bar & 2 hard boiled eggs

Lunch: Bunless peanut butter & bacon jam burger with Rosemary fries and half a sour beer

Snack: An IPA

Dinner I Wasn't Planning On Eating: Sri Lankan buffet, and I managed to limit myself to one plate -- coconut sambal, eggplant, curry veg, pineapple curry, coconut kale, a papadam to shovel it all in my face & 2 ounces or so of pudding desserts.

Weeeeeeekend

House was cleaned

Dishes were done

Bed was made

Broccoli sprouts were tended to

• Like 5

Yesterday

Nothing formal. Headed out to Coney Island with more building getting to be friends - this time the chef, his girlfriend, and her 10 year old.

Froze on the boardwalk, watched a kid's circus show, and hit up our favorite diner for dinner.

All in all, another great day.

1012 calories

79g protein

49g carbs

42g fats

Breakfast: Asparagus & eggs with hollandaise; 2 cups of coffee

Lunch: Magner's Pear

Dinner: Diner Heaven - 2 bites beets, a quarter of a pickle, 1 bite slaw; the toppings off a Greek salad; half a cup of matzoh soup; a plate of lean roast beef drizzled in au jus

Weeeeeeekend

House cleaned & bed made

Grocery shopping completed

Side projects attended to

Set up for the week

• Like 5

@Tanktimus the Encourager: Did you see the amount of things I had a few bites of at the diner because diners are crazy and serve pre-food in front of your huge entree?

Tooooooootally tried. I spent most of the day carsick because of too much coffee + NJ roads on the way To and from Whole Foods.

The Diner we visited was our old favorite back when we lived down by Coney, and it was every bit as good as we remembered. Bland, because all diners are, but good.

This is what you get when you get one of their specials:

A plate with 4 monkey dishes of: beets, slaw, chickpeas, pickles

Cup of soup (matzoh, chicken noodle, tortellini, butternut squash and at least 1 other I can't remember)

Greek or garden salad

Your entree meat (I had roast beef in au jus)

A potato (couldn't handle my baked potato)

A vegetable (couldn't touch my broccoli).

All this for like $18. Or for $2 more, just the entree & sides.

Or ... for $4.50 more, you get wine + some combo of more extra shit I didn't understand because semicolons don't exist on the menu + I think dessert.

You know ... if you need to feed a village for $25.

• Like 2

Yesterday

Accomplished day 4 of my yoga thing.

The DH brought home a flyer for Crunch Fitness - looks like the SI branch is $20 a month (in contrast: the BK branch was $80) for the package with classes - and they have yoga + TRX, which I've been curious about.

We're probably taking a tour soon. If you sign up on a Wednesday this month, they waive some fee.

1475 calories

98g protein

66g carbs

94g fats

On track, but I *feel* like I'm getting fatter

Breakfast: Smoothie & coffee

Lunch: Leftover Pork chop & tricolor slaw

Dinner: Roasted beef & garlic mashed cauliflower

Snack: A boatload of mixed nuts: Brazil, curry cashew & pecan

Graded homeworks

Met with free company briefly over GChat

Set a time to meet the lead instructor for the next class

Booked slots to speak with 2 mentors from that office hours thing

Scheduled a time to grab drinks with a friend from the bootcamp who is suddenly unemployed

Did not work on my portfolio or apply for jobs

Picked the living room up

Made the bed

The dishes at least made it to the kitchen & I mostly cleaned up after my afternoon batch cook-a-palooza.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, darkfoxx said:

@Tanktimus the Encourager: Did you see the amount of things I had a few bites of at the diner because diners are crazy and serve pre-food in front of your huge entree?

So then was your calorie count inaccurate?

39 minutes ago, darkfoxx said:

1475 calories

98g protein

66g carbs

94g fats

This is a lot better ;) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Yesterday

Accomplished day 4 of my yoga thing.

The DH brought home a flyer for Crunch Fitness - looks like the SI branch is $20 a month (in contrast: the BK branch was $80) for the package with classes - and they have yoga + TRX, which I've been curious about.

We're probably taking a tour soon. If you sign up on a Wednesday this month, they waive some fee.

This sounds promising. Let someone else do your programming and do classes you're interested in taking.

1475 calories

98g protein

66g carbs

94g fats

On track, but I *feel* like I'm getting fatter

"I feel like" is a poor metric. I prefer "How are my clothes fitting?"

• Like 3

On 4/27/2017 at 6:42 AM, darkfoxx said:

As for BJJ, he's having fun but is in the 'is this an injury I need to rest or do I need to push through?' Stage. Someone hyperextended his elbow - so that now hurts. An old rotator cuff injury is barking again. He feels generally worn down & lethargic. Aaaand his mood has been really off the last few days.

Hopefully this all will sort itself out and not involve massive medical bills.

Ah the BJJ mantra is "everyone has an injury, suck it up!"   I'm not a fan of pushing through an injury, especially in BJJ.  It is too easy to get hurt or re-injure parts.  Luckily I can say " No thanks, I'm gonna roll with my hubby today" when I don't want to deal with the egos that arise on the mat. 

Baby Black Widow informed me the there was the f-word in one of your posts above...  Its all good!  She is hanging with me and asking questions about NF tonight.  :biggrin-new:

• Like 2

@Tanktimus the Encourager: judging by getting hungry after lying in bed, the calorie count was probably accurate or at least close. I *did* give it a try, though (though thx for the side eye - always appreciated).

@EricMN: I go by my bellybutton skin first, and it's still loose so I'm guessing what is happening is bloat from the shit I don't need to be eating (like beer). My pants aren't *actually* snugger. Thought they might be.

@tishnicden: Yay! You can do it!!!

@Terra: yeah ... the ego is what I worry about; and he's too old to work through injury. We don't need more of that in this house!

Schooled by a kiddo. Didn't even notice - good on her for being interested in NF!

• Like 4

Yesterday

Caught the lazies and couldn't force myself into a 45-minute yoga practice.

1418 Calories

81g protein

72g carbs [x]

93g fats

Breakfast: Green smoothie & coffee

Lunch: Leftover pot roast, bacon, slaw mix & turmeric kraut

Dinner: Honey chipotle chicken, bacon & broccoli rice

Snack: Bacon & lots of nuts

Copywriting.

Set up a recruiter meeting.

Prepped for my coffee informational date.

Practiced Grid a little

Fixed my portfolio incrementally

Batch cooked the rest of this week's sides

Cleaned the kitchen like 3x

Living room was picked up

Bed was made

Still need to pick up my crafts.

• Like 4

Yesterday

No yoga - long day - but I did walk a few miles between things I had to do.

1432 calories

121g protein

71g carbs [x]

75g fats

Breakfast: No-atmeal & coffee

Early Lunch: Pepperoni

Snack: Coffee

Late Lunch: Pulled smoked chicken & braised kale with collards

Snack: Another coffee

Dinner: Shrimp cooked in Buffalo ghee with broccoli rice

Snack: Mixed nuts - curry cashews, raw Brazils, raw pecans

Had an informational coffee meeting with someone who is not hiring, but may be interested in mentorship and who said he'd call the second his company was able to hire a jr dev

Went well.

Met up with a friend afterward to drop off pics from the photoshoot. Forgot we'd formatted the thumb drive for Mac specifically ... and she can't read it. Oops.

Walked a couple miles between the two things then wandered into shops on the way to the train & home.

Wrote a little copy in the am.

Did some quick sketches for the daily UI thing I want to do but not throw hours per day at.

Bed was made.

Kitchen was mooooostly clean.

Living room was mostly picked up.

• Like 3

Yesterday

Nope. Kinda long day that was exhausting. Napped instead.

Poor planning / rapidly evolving plans led to hours of hungriness - and extra snacking - buuuuuut I went to bed hungry.

1,666 Calories

85g protein [x]

93g carbs [x]

110g fat [x]

Breakfast: Green smoothie + broccoli sprouts & coffee

Lunch: Cheddarwurst + turmeric kraut + cashew kefir

Snack: Bark thins(?) half a pack of dark chocolate almond things at a meetup

Dinner: Pot roast & roasted carrots

Snack: Mixed curry cashews/raw pecans/raw Brazil nuts

Recruiter meeting at a creative services staffing agency.

Half of a job fair that turned out to not really be about jobs - met some fellow freelancers and maybe made some good contacts. Maybe.

Dinner plans bailed on me.

Found out I'm only part time IAing for the class that's starting next week due to low enrollment - boo.

Living room picked up.

Dishes washed.

Kitchen clean.

• Like 3

Yesterday

Nope. Got into an argument, went grocery shopping mad & ate leftovers for dinner instead of any sort of workout or date night activity.

1350 Calories

60g protein [x]

67g carbs

88g fats

Breakfast: Smoothie & coffee

Lunch: Baby kale & Brussels Caesar with bacon

Dinner: The second half of the Baby kale & Brussels Caesar with fried eggs

Met with the lead instructor for the new class and formulated a battle plan for my reduced hours.

Copywriting.

Read a bit but didn't practice coding.

Made the bed

Left dishes in the kitchen

Mostly picked up the living room

Contemplated crafting

@Tanktimus the Encourager: It blew over, but will crop up again in time - we argued about Call Of Duty yet again.

I hate that he plays it incessantly and all freaking day in the background while I'm working or looking for work. He has headphones, but that game stresses him out and he loses his temper at it a bunch. Which is hella distracting when going on right behind me, leads to little adrenaline spikes, and kicks my fight response 10 - 30 times a day.

I sit there getting angrier that he's acting like a child; he's mad that the game isn't fair; the dog freaks out over tension in the house.

We have a blowup about it, he watches his reactions for a few weeks, then the cycle resets. At this point, we've had the fight so many times and we're both so entrenched in our positions that it's just going to have to run its course. I'll start encouraging him to buy a new game the second he expresses interest in anything else in an effort to get him off the stuff for awhile.

#isthisadulthood

• Like 1

Yesterday

Nope. Walked a tiny bit. Waited around for the DH to get home in the am so we could do something, since I couldn't think of anything I wanted or needed to be doing.

Watched BBC documentaries on historical foods on YouTube instead and did little things around the house.

1,236 calories

69g protein [x]

85g carbs [x]

60g fats

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, leeks & a hand full of blistered cherry tomatoes

Snack: The rest of the bark thins

Snack: A hand full of pork rinds on the way to food

Linner: Went to a meat hipster meets Hungarian spot in Bay Ridge - Brooklyn Beet. Had rabbit stew with a few mushrooms, carrots & potatoes + 2 potato pierogi, a glass of wine & a bite of the DH's burger that came in almost an encasement of something that tasted like a non-sweet doughnut. It was amazing. The beet ketchup & horseradish ketchups were also amazing.

Weeeeekend.

In between YouTube stuffs, I cleaned and re-cleaned the kitchen.

Tried killing my new enamel pan by attempting to render a honeycomb - burned the honey, and ended up with a lump of gross wax and a lot of residue all over my pan. Took half an hour or so to try and get all that gunk off with elbow grease - ended up boiling it all off.

Dishes are on point.

Bed was mostly made.

Living room was picked up.

• Like 2

@Tanktimus the Encourager: It blew over, but will crop up again in time - we argued about Call Of Duty yet again.

I hate that he plays it incessantly and all freaking day in the background while I'm working or looking for work. He has headphones, but that game stresses him out and he loses his temper at it a bunch. Which is hella distracting when going on right behind me, leads to little adrenaline spikes, and kicks my fight response 10 - 30 times a day.

I sit there getting angrier that he's acting like a child; he's mad that the game isn't fair; the dog freaks out over tension in the house.

We have a blowup about it, he watches his reactions for a few weeks, then the cycle resets. At this point, we've had the fight so many times and we're both so entrenched in our positions that it's just going to have to run its course. I'll start encouraging him to buy a new game the second he expresses interest in anything else in an effort to get him off the stuff for awhile.

#isthisadulthood

That stinks. It can't be easy living in that small space when you also work from home.

• Like 1

Yesterday

Nope.

Had brunch, crafted, dodged bicycles crossing the road to the train station (the five borough bike tour runs past my building), held office hours, treated myself to conveyor belt sushi & was home.

Didn't track; too lazy with the sushi.

Brunch: Zucchini pancakes, ricotta, springy arugula salad, country fried potatoes & coffee

Dinner: Self control. 1 order octopus balls, 1 dish (2 pieces) roll with avocado & egg, 1 dish (4 pieces) tuna roll, 1 dish (4 pieces) shrimp katsu roll

Held office hours. 2 students came; 1 that signed up for the time, and I that showed up (a student that is far behind). Helped the student who signed up properly; she lost half her completed homework while we were discussing things because she never properly downloaded and installed the program (was just running on the downloader) and kept getting program errors because she had 3 copies of the file open - that sucked.

Helped the student who was behind draw out what was needed so he had a roadmap to follow when trying to complete the homework.

Everyone was not thrilled I can't also be in the classroom.

Found out the other class is 14 people - how is that not enough for a full-time IA? There is no way we're going to be able to offer the support needed.

Didn't sleep well last night because of it.

Kitchen clean

Living room picked up

Bed made

Crafting accomplished

• Like 3

Yesterday

Nope. Late night - got home at 11. I technically *could* have done something after grading homework and before leaving, but YouTube was much more appealing.

Erm... free food, yo.

Calories: 1,186

Protein: 77g

Carbs: 94g [x]

Fat: 57g

Breakfast: Green smoothie & coffee

Lunch: The last of the pot roast & carrots

Dinner: First day of class food - chicken shawarma & tabouleh. Chicken salad was an option, but a: there were only 2 salads and I wanted to leave them for students if there were any gluten allergies in the class, and b: I wanted a vehicle with which to consume aaaaallllll the garlic sauce.

Train Snack: 1/4 cup macadamia nuts

Graded homeworks.

Applied for 6 jobs.

Went to the first day of my second class and met 12 of 14(!) students. 14. With no in-class support (me).

This day went well - broke the ice, got through the intended material, and only had a few major setup meltdowns on the way. Pretty painless as far as GitHub setups go.

Also met my lead instructor in person. He seems nice and it's a shame I don't get to see how he explains concepts; he teaches differently than my other lead instructor - it would be interesting to see the differences.

Home late, so all my shit is in the living room.

The DH was home, so the kitchen was a mess and the dinner I made at like 2 was still out on the counter.

• Like 3

Had a busy couple of days.

Tuesday, I did something I now can't remember, but I think food was on point.

Wednesday was my meeting day; food was pretty good.

Yesterday I was gone for 15 hours - chatting with people about the startup at a small business expo, walking to dinner with a friend, killing time, and grabbing after-class drinks with one of the classes I'm IAing.

Trying not to catch the DH's cold.

Ate like enough poo yesterday my stomach was unhappy about tacos.

Was told by another person that I "glowed" and had a sparkling personality.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

What is up with these randos (and admittedly not-so-randos)?

W-E-I-R-D.

Also killed time at a tea shop and got menaced by a roach as long as my hand.

*shudder*

Have gotten in zero workouts this week.

Am struggling to hit 5 hours copywriting.

Did manage to have a chat with someone through the mentoring thing - he had some interesting perspective and pointed me in a slightly new targeting direction.

This morning is free; tonight I have a dinner in Queens (a networking thing) - let's see how that goes. And I've got a DH that feels like poo and a dog with a sore back (again).

#goodtimes #treadingwater

On the plus side, July's travel schedule/people visiting schedule has been half hammered out and the flight I needed to book has been booked.

• Like 5

Hell yes you glow! Ahahaha although it is a slightly Duane unsolicited comment...

No sickness!

Vacation planning FTW though :) I just booked a cabin in the mountains for a week at the end of June :D

• Like 1