• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

darkfoxx

Darkfoxx 36: Rebuilding A Solid Base - Again - And Maybe For Good This Time

Yaaaaaaaaaaaas tacos!

@Terra: I'm planning a trip to Texas for a wedding I wouldn't miss for the world, 2 of my SILs + a BIL are coming into town to squeeze into my studio at the same time, and then I'm heading to VA to see my best friend & godkids.

I think that last is holding until August, though.

@Fonzico: It was a bit weird - I thought he was maybe hitting on me, but I completely ignored that shit and we ended up talking about business, life paths, and his kids.

No sickness to report - my throat is scratchy, I'm a touch snotty, and I'm thirsty all the time - but that all just kinda feels like trees.

Definitely not sick like the poor DH. He's coughing up a storm - good times with bruised ribs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Weekend

Goal 1: Work Out

Nooooooooooope.

Friday was fairly busy.

Saturday was cold and rainy so I spent all day on the couch.

Sunday I had office hours and walked around a bit before carrying heavy-ass groceries home.

Goal 2: Macros

Friday was moar tacos & guac at a meetup.

Saturday was ok-ish. Had snacks at home, then delivery included garlic chicken & an empanada.

Sunday was ok-ish. Had a burger for brunch on a homemade English muffin (worth it), with about half the fries. Dinner was hot bar takeout - BBQ chicken & veggies.

Goal 3: Get A Job

Friday I attended a really cool Meetup - it was a bunch of women talking about personal narrative led by a career coach. The coach is really neat and I made some great contacts. Hope to speak to those ladies again soon.

Held office hours on Sunday and helped an anxious student with GitHub.

Goal 4: Rando

The house is a mess and has been for days.

We are behind on broccoli sprouts farming.

The trash needs to leave the house.

Crafting hasn't been touched.

• Like 3

Yesterday

Nope. Had time to, but prioritized cooking tomorrow's dinner and making smoothies over yoga.

Still need yoga.

Goal 2: Macros

1,528 Calories

74g protein

62g carbs

101g fats [x]

Breakfast: No-atmeal with berries & coffee

Lunch: The last chicken thigh, broccoli salad, cilantro crema & pepitas

Dinner: Taco beef, arugula, half an avocado, the last of the cilantro crema, choula & lime juice

Snack: 1 slice paleo bacon, 1/2 cup mixed Brazil, pecan & curry cashew nuts

Graded homeworks for 2 classes - most people didn't turn it in.

Had time for copywriting.

Found out I got accepted to an all-day seminar thing at Google on Wednesday. This upsets my plans for checking out Crunch Fitness, but ... it's Google.

Reached out to some of the women I met Friday.

Goal 4: Rando

Cleaned the kitchen like 3x.

Picked the living room up.

The house is clean again - so I like it again.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, darkfoxx said:

1,528 Calories

74g protein

62g carbs

101g fats [x]

Breakfast: No-atmeal with berries & coffee

Lunch: The last chicken thigh, broccoli salad, cilantro crema & pepitas

Dinner: Taco beef, arugula, half an avocado, the last of the cilantro crema, choula & lime juice

Snack: 1 slice paleo bacon, 1/2 cup mixed Brazil, pecan & curry cashew nuts

Image result for thumbs up gif

• Like 5

2 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Nope. Had time to, but prioritized cooking tomorrow's dinner and making smoothies over yoga.

Still need yoga.

Yoga is actively calling your name, DF. Like a plaintive wail on the breeze. Listen to it... 

2 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Found out I got accepted to an all-day seminar thing at Google on Wednesday. This upsets my plans for checking out Crunch Fitness, but ... it's Google.

Interested...

• Like 2

Ummmm ..... Tuesday - Thursday?

Sorry about dropping off the face of the Earth there, I've been leaving the house early for .. stuff.

Workouts: Nooooope. Did manage to walk enough yesterday in the 101 heat index to tire my hips and back out, so there's that.

Food: Ehhhhhhh .... not egregious, but I haven't been tracking, and I've been pushing it.

Job Getting: So, this is what I've been focusing on in a roundabout way.

Tuesday: Free company meeting. Met, sat in the sun, came home.

Wednesday: Went to the I/O Wxtended conference at Google NYC. (!!!) ate a bunch of food: all was at least mostly healthy; not all was in my particular macro plan.

The conference was really cool. A few live presentations by engineer teams on their projects (speech recognition and text modeling), followed by a live stream of 2 hours of the I/O conference on the cool things happening with Google pics, Google home, and youtube.

Plus time to chat with other developers.

And it was at freaking Google.

Walked a couple miles afterward trying to find a hat for the next day.

Thursday: Went to Hoboken NJ (right across the water from Manhattan) for an all-day outdoor tech festival called Propelify.

This wasn't the best, but the tickets were free and I got to explore a new place - plus take a tour of Jet.com's HQ. Jet was also holding interviews on a ferris wheel. Neat.

Heat index was 101, but I was happy. I had a straw hat to hide in, wore a cotton sundress so I wasn't dying, and had a good day overall. Lots of snacks at booths, but a good day.

Today: Staying my ass home and getting some copywriting done.

Rando Goal: The house has been varying degrees of a mess, my other shit has not gotten touched, and zero crafting has been accomplished.

• Like 4

@EricMN: I've seen a few articles on the main things I saw announcements on. Here's what I was excited about:

* Google Pics is awesome and I need it - unlimited space (for regular res)

* soon you'll be able to edit things out like fences in front of your photo subject

* you can/will be able to share libraries with another person - like with a spouse - and share all pics you take of something like your kids - automatically

* Google lens is going to be a hella cool hybrid of your camera and the cards that pop up on google maps

* Google home is worth a second glance - the underlying tech is really cool, two users are now supported, and you can make free phone calls

* you can also sling shit from Google home to your phone (like directions) or to your tv (like pictures)

* YouTube is doing a ridiculous pay cash for pinned comments thing

* google apps like docs have a developer kit - with just a tiny bit of JS, you can build programs that fix functionality in Docs, etc. there is also a marketplace for programs others have written.

I drank the Google Kool-aid back with the Gmail beta, so I was like a kid in an adrenal overload factory. Plus: life goals.

• Like 4

Yesterday

Didn't work out - I'm being menaced by trees and life is turrible.

Food was decent, but I only half tracked -

No-atmeal & coffee for breakfast

Kale salad & kaluah pork for lunch

Ate in the building for dinner - short rib tacos

Had 2 batches of nuts for a snack

Applied for a job at Jet

Wrote some copy

Cleaned up my inbox

House was mostly cleaned; no other shit accomplished.

• Like 2

Yesterday

Work Out

Nope. Walked a bit, but that was it.

Macros

Didn't track

Breakfast: Zucchini pancake with lemon ricotta, side greens salad and coffee

Lunch: Skipped

Dinner: Whole Foods hot bar - Chinichurri meatballs (4), a scoop of roasted garlic mashed potatoes to catch the sauce, yellow squash, 2 broccoli florets & half a yellow pepper.

Snack: 1 espresso chocolate lumpkin

Get A Job

Held office hours. Helped 3 students; got stood up by 1 who then assumed I'd be ready and willing to help him via Slack - and this is the one that needs hand-holding.

*forehead smack*

I also had a few other students that I helped via Slack.

Rando

House cleaned, dishes done, bed made. The DH went out with new building friends for dinner & a movie, so I cleaned up a bit when I got home.

• Like 2

I want to say that I'm very proud of you for updating consistently. You have so much going on in your life, with the move, the job search, copywriting, and teaching. When I've been in a similar position I dropped off the forums for a couple years. I'm always glad to log on and see an updated DarkFoxx thread.

• Like 3

Thanks, @Tanktimus the Encourager. It feels like I'm treading water and struggling to find my footing. It's good to [varying degrees of sensical sentiment written and deleted for a solid 3 minutes] be seen (seen in the larger more weighted sense).

I figure if I can keep posting through all the upheaval that's gone on in my comfortable little nook, maybe someone on the fence about continuing posting when they don't have stellar news or groundbreaking PRs to share can continue to post too.

That, and I'd miss my friends too much if I bailed.

And the Internet Side Eye ... it would be sunburn level ;)

• Like 4

Yesterday

Work Out

Nope. Could have. Didn't. Consciously chose to make dinner right at 5 instead of head off to the gym.

Macros

1,472 calories

90g protein

83g carbs [x]

86g fats

Breakfast: Smoothie with broccoli sprouts & coffee

Lunch: The second half of my TJs kale & broccoli salad with kaluah pork & pineapple

Dinner: 6 ounce sirloin with leftover cabbage

Snack: 1/2 cup cashews & dill pickle flavored almonds

Get A Job

Reviewed homeworks.

Helped students over Slack.

Sent reports to lead instructors.

That's about it - that all took quite some time.

Rando

Kitchen was a mess

Bed was made

Living room was picked up

Been bingeing Twin Peaks so nothing else has really gotten accomplished

• Like 2

Yesterday

Work Out

Nope

Macros

Nope - yesterday was 'stump the chef' night; I prioritized hanging out with friends and eating some delicious food.

We brought broccoli sprouts and fresh turmeric. Tonight's main course was Japanese curry risotto with chayote salsa, Pork, chicken sausage and fried cheese.

The dessert was a tapioca cake roulade with poppyseed caramel, chocolate something, and peanut butter with some other stuff sauce.

Enough dairy to make me uncomfortable but not in pain, and the experience of nerding out with trained chefs who happen to also be new friends over food and how things taste is kind of invaluable.

Get A Job

Copywriting.

Identified jobs to apply for.

Met with the course producer for one of my classes to review mid-course feedback - we're doing well, feedback-wise. She forgot to add me separately, so I don't have personal feedback - except one comment saying I give great feedback, and 1 person being not happy I wasn't in class.

Also got a chance to bring up my frustrations on not being in class and not being able to support the students that need extra help.

She pointed out that it happens and we can't let it get to us too much - which was some nice perspective, if a bit callous sounding. This *is* adult education after all - if a student fails, there really is no "real world" consequence; it's not like high school.

Rando

Bed made. Kitchen clean. Living room picked up.

Still not feeling the craft thing I was so excited for.

• Like 2

Also got a chance to bring up my frustrations on not being in class and not being able to support the students that need extra help.

She pointed out that it happens and we can't let it get to us too much - which was some nice perspective, if a bit callous sounding. This *is* adult education after all - if a student fails, there really is no "real world" consequence; it's not like high school.

While she's right that there's no point in worrying about something that can't be changed...

I don't think it's right to brush the issue off. These people are paying good money for this class, and they aren't getting the same level of support that previous classes have.

The test the chef stuff sounds amazing though! It's awesome when your social life and passions can collide :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darkfoxx said:

Macros

Nope - yesterday was 'stump the chef' night; I prioritized hanging out with friends and eating some delicious food.

We brought broccoli sprouts and fresh turmeric. Tonight's main course was Japanese curry risotto with chayote salsa, Pork, chicken sausage and fried cheese.

The dessert was a tapioca cake roulade with poppyseed caramel, chocolate something, and peanut butter with some other stuff sauce.

Enough dairy to make me uncomfortable but not in pain, and the experience of nerding out with trained chefs who happen to also be new friends over food and how things taste is kind of invaluable.

This sounds awesome - with all the other stuff going on in your life, I'm glad you're making and taking time for things like this. It's what's called "self care" and also "hell yes that was a nice evening".

• Like 1

The saga of my jerk face dog while I was opening Tapatalk this morning:

677bad4fe0ad7b7ba3c1875048765133.jpg

Jerkface: I want in your lap - let me in.

Me: no, be happy with what you have.

Repeat for a solid 5 minutes

a44ff3ede1e8347ba9fc87f2446d6018.jpg

Jerkface: But .... but .... dis not in.

Me: moves legs slightly - in moving, legs part a quarter of an inch.

Jerkface: muscles his way between my legs and up my body.

1e766ce842fea09567d8a4e6342eaee4.jpg

Jerkface: dat better. Cuddles. I was chilly and damp.

Have I told you all lately my dog is a pushy little jerkface?

• Like 4

Yesterday

Work Out

Nope.

Macros

1,499 calories

71g protein

86g carbs [x]

78g fats

Breakfast: Smoothie & coffee

Lunch: Leftover Fried pineapple Cauliflower Rice & pork & an egg

Snack: Coffee with oat milk

Dinner: Baked chicken & broccoli & sweet potato

Snack: Cashews & dill pickle almonds

Not reported: 2 sticks of fancy jerky

Get A Job

Had a coffee date with a woman I met at that taco night thing. She had some fantastic advice about rebranding myself as a technical project manager that I'm definitely taking and really wants to help me get a damn job.

Aside from that, I genuinely like her and could see being friends.

Copywriting.

Adjusted office hours to Tuesday & Wednesday before class. Did I remember to tell you all I'm teaching class on Wednesday because the instructor will be out? It's mostly a review session, but I'll be there - alone.

Rando

Kitchen was messy

Bed was made

Living room was mostly picked up

We may try and do something fun this weekend since we now both have 3 days free.

• Like 3

Oooh teaching class by yourself is scary-awesome! But you will slay it, I know.

Can I just admit that when you say your kitchen is messy, it makes me feel better about myself? Maybe I can return the favor.

My kitchen is messy too.

• Like 1

@Fonzico: Lols. At least we're in messy misery together :)

My kitchen was - and is - a hot mess right now. It'll take like a whooooooooole 5 minutes to clean it, too ..... but I don't wanna. 

Instead, I've been bingeing on damn beauty videos on YouTube. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy??? It's not like I'm going to walk into a Sephora and out with expensive-ass makeup. That has a 5% chance of happening. 

I may, however, walk out of the e.l.f. store or my favorite drugstore having bought shit I only kiiiiiinda need and sorta know what to do with. 

Damn consumerism. 

• Like 1

Since I'm killing time not being productive and trying not to murder Mr. throwing a hissy because Call Of Duty isn't fair, I might as well actually do something on the Internets that doesn't involve window shopping (though I may have found a damn dress I've been looking for for 2 months - we shall see if this brand pops a sale this weekend). 

Challenge Wrapup. 

What did I title this one? Oh yeah. Rebuilding A Solid Base Again And Maybe For Good This Time. *snort*

Oh April me, so optimistic. 

So wrong.

I've done jack with my goals this month. Zero workouts. Half-assed macro tracking. Still underemployed (though I did do a lot of work on quality networking). House is mostly fine. Still have zero desire to craft. 

I'd love to cue the training montage music, but ... I'm just out of fucks to give right now. 

I'll get back to the working toward my fitness goals soon, but for now I'm coasting. I'm going to try not beating myself up over it this next month to see if that sparks a change. 

I know, *gasp*, me not telling myself to suck it up and push on. Wtf has this world come to? 

I am, however, side-eyeing myself for not tracking macros. That shit is low hanging fruit and something I can absolutely control with minimal effort. There is zero reason to miss out on that (except for notable occasions like Stump The Chef night). 

I'm also going to be throwing myself into more salady things starting next week - I joined the apartment garden's salad CSA. Did I tell you guys I ordered ButcherBox? I ordered ButcherBox. $129 for 8 - 11 lbs of fancy-ass meat. I'll be doing a massive blog post on my first month of that in a few weeks. 

And I'll be blogging my CSA spoils as well - and might do the social media thing somewhat right, since I want to promote this business and all. #shock

Other happenings for next month: I'd love to say I'll ruck, but we all know that may not happen. If it ever warms up, I'll go. Promise. Feel free to yell at me if I don't - this is also low hanging fruit. I *can* walk around my neighborhood (when warm - today is cold monsoon day again), I just like to pretend my neighborhood doesn't exist. 

Maybe a job? 

I'm pivoting my pivot - moving from targeting developer jobs to technical project manager jobs. TPM is a crazy good fit for my personality and natural working inclinations (I'd do that shit anyways - paid to or not) and less pressure than trying for even damn longer to break into a hella saturated market. We shall see how this goes. I'm also planning on continuing to teach, so at least my skills won't go totally to waste, and I'd like to pick up some freelance clients + small projects. Maybe if I do dev stuff on my terms instead of putting so much freaking pressure on myself, I'll feel better about it. 

Maybe I'll start some other massive project (*cough* I need to craft, what happened to that blog rebrand, what about that portfolio redo I abandoned, why did I give up on CSS Grid because it was hard, what about that React class I needed to take *cough*). We shall see. 

On to the new. 

• Like 1