4 Week Challenge 4/23-5/20, would LOVE some Accountabilibuddying! (That's a word now)

tinywonder

Hello all, I've fallen off the internet a bit, but I am clawing my way back to the forums and just in time for the 4 week challenge!

I'm setting out my goals as such (from the nifty worksheet):

1. Put House in Order (Konmari Method)

2. 4 Weeks of Calorie Counting, goal is 1,200/day

3. Zombie 5K

4. Meal Plan for the week, and making one shopping day.

I have already started the KonMari method of putting my house in order, but I am hoping I can finish it up in these 4 weeks.  My reward to myself (another chore) is to paint my living room when I am done.  Hello, Batcave upgrade!

I'm also trying to measure my calorie intake.  Somewhat as a diet plan, but also because I like collecting information like that, and I feel like I can't help but course correct decision making if I am actively keeping track. Using "MyFitnessTracker" which I saw suggested by someone in the FaceBook Group.

Zombie 5K, I'm using the Zombie Run 5K app, and it's time to get back to it.  I am on week 3 now, so will be working through the program in the next four weeks.

And meal prep/planning.  I'm trying to save money this way too, by making my grocery shopping an all at once errand, and not picking up more than I need as the days go on.  It should mean more time for running and gardening after work.  Monday is my shopping day, with planning going into it on Sunday.

That's about it... but really, I'd love some help with accountability.  I am thrilled that as I write this the "MyFitnessTracker" pinged my phone and told me I hadn't logged my lunch today... which is true, I've not had a chance to eat lunch today.  Planning will help with this, I do hope.

Any plans? Ideas? Friendly advice?  RECIPE IDEAS?  I need all the help and suggestions I can get there, I love them.  I'm a vegetarian, if that makes any difference.  Paleo-ish, but not super much. I eat pretty healthy already.  But recipe ideas make me happy!

PS, if you're interested in my big mega plan, I filled out the worksheet here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XHD01rm1i72EPEqmMX8NEBuE3GMinTrkeWV0nxZ0rNo/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 3

I just found a new recipe app called mealime and I LOVE it. It lets you be picky about ingredients you don't want or don't like, and then it doesn't show you recipes with those ingredients. I love it because when you google for recipes I swear to all that is good and holy every single one has quinoa and I hate quinoa. There. I said it. I hate quinoa. Even if I rinse it/soak it/wash it/pray over it/any other nonsense that Big Quinoa says you should do if you don't like the taste because clearly the problem lies with you, oh quinoa-naysayer, not the nasty tasting, weird-textured grain itself. And seriously. All the recipes. All of them. All quinoa. All the time. Smoothie? Put in some quinoa! Breakfast? Quinoa? Salad, throw some quinoa in there. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, but... it totally is.

There's a premium thing you can get if you really want that offers more recipes, but if you're just looking for a source for a couple recipes here and there, you don't have to pay to get good ones. It's only for dinners, but the recipes I've made so far have been really good. There was a black bean, sweet potato chili that didn't have meat and it was quite tasty.

Also if you like Indian, http://allrecipes.com/recipe/60598/vegetarian-korma/ Here's a recipe for vegetarian korma. SO good. I use a can of coconut milk instead of the tomato sauce and heavy cream. And for spices, instead of 1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder, I do 1 Tbsp curry powder, 1 Tbsp garam masala. It needs the extra spices - it's kind of bland otherwise.

Good luck :) 

• Like 3

Welcome back, good timing. I'm close to the opposite of a vegetarian, so I can't offer advice there, but I can help poke you when you've not been on recently. :) My advice for shopping day is: go right after a meal, when you're full and the thought of extra food is not appealing. My gentleman and I started doing that last year and our grocery bills dropped dramatically. It's a bit weird to transition from having cabinets full of food (that you really don't eat) to only keeping what you eat and really using it on a regular basis, but it makes temptation to mindlessly snack go down. 

How goes the garden? I also have a community plot close to work, and love going out there. What are you planting? 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

On 4/22/2017 at 5:34 PM, Liam Learns to Live said:

I just found a new recipe app called mealime and I LOVE it. It lets you be picky about ingredients you don't want or don't like, and then it doesn't show you recipes with those ingredients. I love it because when you google for recipes I swear to all that is good and holy every single one has quinoa and I hate quinoa. There. I said it. I hate quinoa. Even if I rinse it/soak it/wash it/pray over it/any other nonsense that Big Quinoa says you should do if you don't like the taste because clearly the problem lies with you, oh quinoa-naysayer, not the nasty tasting, weird-textured grain itself. And seriously. All the recipes. All of them. All quinoa. All the time. Smoothie? Put in some quinoa! Breakfast? Quinoa? Salad, throw some quinoa in there. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, but... it totally is.

There's a premium thing you can get if you really want that offers more recipes, but if you're just looking for a source for a couple recipes here and there, you don't have to pay to get good ones. It's only for dinners, but the recipes I've made so far have been really good. There was a black bean, sweet potato chili that didn't have meat and it was quite tasty.

Also if you like Indian, http://allrecipes.com/recipe/60598/vegetarian-korma/ Here's a recipe for vegetarian korma. SO good. I use a can of coconut milk instead of the tomato sauce and heavy cream. And for spices, instead of 1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder, I do 1 Tbsp curry powder, 1 Tbsp garam masala. It needs the extra spices - it's kind of bland otherwise.

Good luck :) 

Hahaha!  Yes, I have nothing against quinoa, but I do notice the "put it in everything" approach.  

And I love Indian food!! I have often said Indian cuisine is the main reason I find it so easy to be vegetarian, and so difficult to be vegan.

I'll look into mealtime, for sure!   I sort of want to have a few new recipes to try going into a week for meal prep plans, etc.  I'll see what it does for me, thanks!

10 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Welcome back, good timing. I'm close to the opposite of a vegetarian, so I can't offer advice there, but I can help poke you when you've not been on recently. :) My advice for shopping day is: go right after a meal, when you're full and the thought of extra food is not appealing. My gentleman and I started doing that last year and our grocery bills dropped dramatically. It's a bit weird to transition from having cabinets full of food (that you really don't eat) to only keeping what you eat and really using it on a regular basis, but it makes temptation to mindlessly snack go down. 

How goes the garden? I also have a community plot close to work, and love going out there. What are you planting? 

The garden is wet.  It's been raining for days, and I've not been able to finish prepping my plot to plant everything, but once it stops raining, I'll be putting in my sprouted seedlings of redventure celery, kale, poona kheera, painted serpent, and dragon's egg cucumbers (those names are too great to pass up!), pink catmint, black krim tomatoes, sweet potatoes, zucchini, water melon, canteloupe, and I think a few other things....

And I have ten mint plants for my yard (trying to have it cover and choke out the grass.  I can't eat grass, but I love mint!

As for shopping, I usually have to do it after work, which isn't quite after a meal, but at the same time, if I've made a list, I am good at sticking to it.  All I need to get tomorrow (Monday, my grocery day) is kale and almond milk.  Everything else I am using things I have on hand.

Would love to be poked if I fall off the world now and again!

What's in your garden?

• Like 1

Those names are indeed far too awesome to pass up. I think you blew my mind with the concept of voluntarily trying to replace grass with mint - in the community garden, the reaction is usually "Omg, someone planted mint. Kill it with fire!" because it spreads so much. To each their own, though! I have a small gardening problem, so - to date - I have planted melons, tomatoes, eggplant, corn, beans, peas, various leafy things, squashes, strawberries, asparagus, potatoes, lavender, and rosemary, not counting the (many) fruit bushes and trees I have in pots all over the place. I lost a few to late frost this year, but the majority have pulled through. Not completely done, either; as I said, I have a problem. :) 

How did shopping go? Were you able to stick to your plans? 

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

19 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Those names are indeed far too awesome to pass up. I think you blew my mind with the concept of voluntarily trying to replace grass with mint - in the community garden, the reaction is usually "Omg, someone planted mint. Kill it with fire!" because it spreads so much. To each their own, though! I have a small gardening problem, so - to date - I have planted melons, tomatoes, eggplant, corn, beans, peas, various leafy things, squashes, strawberries, asparagus, potatoes, lavender, and rosemary, not counting the (many) fruit bushes and trees I have in pots all over the place. I lost a few to late frost this year, but the majority have pulled through. Not completely done, either; as I said, I have a problem. :) 

How did shopping go? Were you able to stick to your plans? 

Problem: nothing! I have been planting SO MANY GRAPES because I want fruit in my yard.  I also have a teeny baby Yuzu tree from Japan (I didn't bring it back, I imported it, actually, it probably came from Florida, but the seeds were from Japan... I love yuzu.  Stupid much.), and I just bought fig tree number two!  ANd blue berries, raspberries and lesser known better tasting wineberries are all over!

Yes, mint is a pest in the garden, but the BEST in the yard (get it!?  A rhyme!)  Have I explained my process?  I forget, apologies if i'm repeating myself: blend mint and water in a bender. Let sit.  Strain.  Make iced coffee over night with the mint water.  Enjoy your new life, because holy damnit.

I did stick to my list at the store (the list grew some, almond milk, celery, kale, because my kale plant is not producing enough yet), and a good thing too, because I just got in to an amazing conference that is going to cost about $2,000 for me to attend, but it's worth it... but DAMN.  I have written them about a payment plan, so I hope that works.  I have an emergency Tardis bank that I keep forgetting has $1,000 in it, so I might put that in my bank account, then slowly restock it.  It's for these sorts of adventure emergencies.
I'll be making a short film and a marionette with some of the most amazing puppeteers in the country (including film making with Marty Robinson, who is a sweetheart, but always catches me off guard when he brings out Telly Monster. Telly was my favourite growing up with Sesame Street.  I am so excited!)

I'm still trying to get to Japan too, at the end of the year.  I have plans to make a digital music album and sell it via a fundraiser sort of thing, so people can help me out, but get something in return (I don't like straight up gofundmes unless it's an emergency or tragedy). Also there's a $1,000 scholarship to study abroad in puppetry that I qualify for, so I might hitch my Japan wagon to that, and if I get it, I go.  If not, I will work my くし (kushi - bum) off to get there. 

• Like 1

Found you! :D 

Oh man, I'm so jealous of your garden! I grew my first food last year on my little balcony and it was the best thing ever. Now I don't even have a balcony and it makes me sad. I just love that you can make that pretty rainbow bowl from your garden. 

I'm not a vegetarian either, but since I did just have one of my favourite salads for dinner, with butternut squash and chickpeas and tahini dressing, here's the recipe for you. :) 

• Like 1

I followed you over from @Mad Hatter's thread.

I am a fellow vegetarian Zombies Run runner. I have lived in Asia -- Thailand, not Japan. I usually just google "vegetarian X recipes" when it's my turn to cook, so I'm not much help there....

If you ever get to Atlanta you really need to visit the Center for Puppetry Arts museum/theater. They always have Henson exhibits going.

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

1 minute ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I followed you over from @Mad Hatter's thread.

I am a fellow vegetarian Zombies Run runner. I have lived in Asia -- Thailand, not Japan. I usually just google "vegetarian X recipes" when it's my turn to cook, so I'm not much help there....

If you ever get to Atlanta you really need to visit the Center for Puppetry Arts museum/theater. They always have Henson exhibits going.

Haha, yes!  I am friends with most of the Center for Puppetry Arts people!  They are fantastic!
Hooray vegetarian Zombie Runners!

Hey, @Twilight and @Mr.Six, and well... now that I look at it, practically everyone but me.
Where is the option to add a nifty signature to your comments, namely one that links you to your latest challenge.  I just popped over to my profile and didn't see it, and I don't see one here, and I can probably clean out the HTML cobwebs in my brain to make the links, but is there a "signature/post script" section I've missed?
Thanks!  And welcome to whatever nonsense comes out of me on this thread!

Also, update regarding my goals, I drive a little Prius, I love that thing.  I am just short enough to fold down the back seat and sleep in it (I built a little semi-permanent bed in the back)... but my point is:  That poor car is STUFFED full of STUFF to bring to my friend's house tomorrow to prep for our joint yardsale this weekend.
My house is far from "in order", it's sort of being trashed in the process, but there will be more places for things to find their home afterward, and a Prius-full of stuff (vintage rollerskates, two undersize violas, an automaton lobster, you know, the usual) is a good feeling.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Twilight said:

Hahaha oh my, I hope someone else takes on the lobster project. XD

Indeed, secretly he's spoken for.  My ex-housemate who is also a puppeteer is going to get it, and he can make whatever he wants with it (or just have a talking, dancing lobster, I mean you do you), and he says I can borrow it whenever.  The perfect match.
I have a few gems of the collection people have put their names on, but I am still going to document it all at once in the yardsale

• Like 1

As much a I love talking about my weirdo yard sale (and it's true, it is part of my goal, so hooray me!)

I am oddly starving today.  Been feeling great, and tracking my calorie intake, but today, I don't know if it's blood sugar, or what, but I am out of it and feel like I need to eat something.  I had a protein-y smoothie for breakfast (handful of berries, protein powder, chia seed, flax seed, almond milk, kale, and ginger) 280 calories or so, so I feel like my protein and iron should be okay.  Then lunch was an apple, celery and hummus, (low calories, probably also in the 250 range with the hummus.  Then I still felt hungry/floaty and ate an apple (70 calories)... Been drinking my morning coffee throughout the day, but also water...I'm not sure what's up.
It's a weird thunderstorm-y rain day today, so that might even be affecting me too, this is why I am so interested in measuring everything so I can have sort of a control group to measure variables against...

Oh well, I feel a bit loopy, we'll see.

I don't think you're oddly starving, but simply starving. That's waaay too few calories! I know MFP says 1200 kcal as a standard recommendations but that's only really valid for teeny tiny sedentary people. 600 kcal is ridiculously low and way below your baseline for simply being an alive and functional human being. You need to eat!

Rather than using a calculator, a better way of figuring out how much energy you need is to track the calories you need to maintain your weight for a few weeks. And then subtract from that number. Or at least use a better calculator as a starting point. :) 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I don't think you're oddly starving, but simply starving. That's waaay too few calories! I know MFP says 1200 kcal as a standard recommendations but that's only really valid for teeny tiny sedentary people. 600 kcal is ridiculously low and way below your baseline for simply being an alive and functional human being. You need to eat!

Rather than using a calculator, a better way of figuring out how much energy you need is to track the calories you need to maintain your weight for a few weeks. And then subtract from that number. Or at least use a better calculator as a starting point. :) 

Oh!
That's pretty heartening to hear!  I don't normally track this sort of thing, so just accepted 1200 kcal as okay.  I think I remember hearing 1500 kcal at some point, and figured maybe the goal was somewhere in the middle.

I mean, I'm not going to go eat a ton of anything at the moment, but will have something when I am out of work in a few minutes.

If you (or anyone) knows of a better calculator, please let me know, meanwhile I will just keep using this one because it's to hand, or switch over to the FitBit one, because I have that app, and I'm all for consolidating app-titude. Even if the "goal" kcal count is wrong, I will continue tracking intake so I know what it takes to power a me through the day!

I am so glad you mentioned that!  I don't think I'd faint or anything, but glad the float-y feeling is probably because I've been under-eating (not massively so, but enough) since the challenge started.  I'm going to eat so much curried kale tonight it'll be ridiculous moderate and good for me.

This one! https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Just pay attention to your body. Very steep calorie deficits may work for a short time, but you'll quickly end up feeling lethargic and not being able to do very much. And since you're not in a rush there's no need to even get to that point. :) But if you keep tracking you should be be able to figure it out in a month or two.

• Like 1