4 Week Challenge 4/23-5/20, would LOVE some Accountabilibuddying! (That's a word now)

tinywonder

I'm going to second @Mad Hatter for the calculator. Diets of fewer than 1200 calories are usually extreme cases that a doctor recommends for dangerously obese people, and they're pretty strictly monitored. If you're doing any sort of working out, 1200 will even be low. When I started my fitness stuff, I didn't change anything, just tracked what I ate for 2 weeks. That gave me enough insight to cut calories just by swapping foods, not by restricting eating (cough cough 600 calories for a PBJ cough). Please make sure you're still well-fed!

In other news, how did the weekend go? Successful week 1?

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

In other news, how did the weekend go? Successful week 1?

Thank you for seconding the advice, I am still tracking everything, and usually landing around 1400 kcal a day, but that varies, I'm keeping an eye on my energy levels, etc.  I'm feeling pretty good, but it's been horrible weather, I've not been making any strides with the Zombie 5K training.  Still, getting on it this week, I intend.

Had out yardsale, made a little over 130$, which goes to my Conference Fund.  I have some neat things left over I'll try again at a punk rock yard sale at the local dive bar on Saturday, then maybe ebay the rest, or find friends who want the stuff.  It feels good.  I also bought a table saw for 20$.  I am going to be needing one for home improvements soon, so double bonus.

Today is Monday and I have my list (it's still not terrible long, which is good) and I am hitting up the store after work.

Going to run some bags and boxes to the recycling center too, in an effort to keep getting my house in order.  I might do a quick "does this really bring me joy?" check, and add what fails it to the Punk Rock Yard Sale pile.

Also, I mentioned I am strapped for cash a bit, but I have amazing friends and people are coming out of the woodwork asking for commissions! It's awesome, I'm set to make about $400 it looks like right now, and I opened a gumroad store of older images I did for them to pay what they like for the high res files, and it seems to be working out okay, not tons of money rolling in, but small amounts that I don't have to do anything for, the work has already been done!
I'm also taking commissions from people for prints that I can then put up on the store, and it feels like it's going to work out, if I can keep the schedule up.  I'm going to try to build an hour or two studio time into my daily schedule.  It's neat because I am making an art budget from selling art, which is what I want.  I appreciate donations, but I'd rather, since this isn't an emergency, just a cool opportunity that is expensive, "earn" the funds by offering art.  It's what I love to do anyway, just need to keep the pace up.

Other than that, I am on track with goals, except the running one.  I don't feel bad about it either, but I do want to get started. I had some difficult news, nothing too serious, just difficult, and I'd love to go for a run to clear my head.  I really want to become a person who can do that. Running as a form of meditation.

Okay, I've written enough, back to work!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, tinywonder said:

Also, I mentioned I am strapped for cash a bit, but I have amazing friends and people are coming out of the woodwork asking for commissions! It's awesome, I'm set to make about $400 it looks like right now, and I opened a gumroad store of older images I did for them to pay what they like for the high res files, and it seems to be working out okay, not tons of money rolling in, but small amounts that I don't have to do anything for, the work has already been done!
I'm also taking commissions from people for prints that I can then put up on the store, and it feels like it's going to work out, if I can keep the schedule up.  I'm going to try to build an hour or two studio time into my daily schedule.  It's neat because I am making an art budget from selling art, which is what I want.  I appreciate donations, but I'd rather, since this isn't an emergency, just a cool opportunity that is expensive, "earn" the funds by offering art.  It's what I love to do anyway, just need to keep the pace up.

This is great, sounds like you're really taking the right steps to move forward!

Grats on the yardsale and art sales! That is neat that you can have some income for something you love to do - every little bit counts. :) Good luck with the running this week. I run a bit for health, but definitely not for enjoyment, I'll leave that to you. Keep it up!

Update!  Especially alerting @Mad Hatter, I just went to see Circus 1903 last night, and it was glorious!  They are on their national tour right now, and it is worth getting to if you can!

As for goal-age... I am still kind of failing at the running part... I just have had no time, but I am not sweating it (literally), I am hoping to strap to it this week.  Keeping track of calories has worked well, and while Monday is usually my grocery day, I went to the Indian market with my folks (who I visited this weekend), so I might make a list tonight and push my shopping day back a few.

Did a second yardsale, which was alright.  I hardly sold anything, but did trade some boots I never wore for a comforter I was checking out.  Winter will come back, eventually, and I will be READY.  The few items of value I want to sell that are left I will put on etsy or ebay this week (new subcategory under my House-In-Order goal). Should work out. OrI'll start to think of them as some proverbial albatross and will be glad to donate them just to be rid of them.

I need to do laundry tonight, I have not gotten home yet from my weekend away.  Got to get back into the swing of things, get my mind back into what was once exciting monotony... but the CIRCUS, friends.... ah. I miss it.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Had to look up what Circus 1903 is, but dang, that look spectacular. I take it you'd recommend it? :) Sorry to hear about the lack of sales at the yard sale, but nice forward planning for winter. How's the week been going? Any advances on running? 

I do recommend Circus 1903, it's straight up A CIRCUS, I thought it was going to be a play about the circus, but nope, it's a little big top!

Lack of sales doesn't bother me too much, I just gave my friend with a 3 year old my child size viola to fix up or make a craft project out of... I like it when things go to the right people or places, money is great, but so it giving something to someone who loves it.

As for running, I am DELIGHTFULLY FAILING SO HARD.  I've just been a mess, I went hiking with my mother last Sunday, wearing my trainers, and left one at their house 3 hours away. I'll get it back eventually.  I need to just wear my parkour kung fu shoes (not that I do parkour, but would love to get there), but remembering to pack them isn't happening.  I am hiking again today, it's not running, but it's good for me and outdoors-y.

I've lost some weight too, which is great, wasn't necessarily the goal, but it's always a little bit the goal, and my energy level seems to be balancing out.
Didn't have grocery day this week, but bought almond milk and smoothie makings yesterday as I had run out.  So this week I am just making food out of what is on hand (there's plenty on hand).

And I've signed on to play an accordion festival in Greenville, SC for my birthday in September, so that's ridiculous and fun. Time to bone up on my accordion and see what happens!

• Like 2
On 5/11/2017 at 10:30 AM, tinywonder said:

As for running, I am DELIGHTFULLY FAILING SO HARD.  I've just been a mess, I went hiking with my mother last Sunday, wearing my trainers, and left one at their house 3 hours away. I'll get it back eventually.  I need to just wear my parkour kung fu shoes (not that I do parkour, but would love to get there), but remembering to pack them isn't happening.  I am hiking again today, it's not running, but it's good for me and outdoors-y.

The best-laid plans of mice and men... Hiking is still, as you say, good for you and outdoors-y. May I ask what "parkour kung fu shoes" are? I've just been parkouring in my regular sneakers - all the "made for parkour" shoes are either super expensive or zero cushioning. : P

Grats on the weight loss! I hear on the "not really a goal but always a goal" thing. It's nice to get a little boost of unexpected good news. How'd week 3 go? Closing in on the end of the challenge. You've got this!

On 5/17/2017 at 10:45 AM, Manarelle said:

The best-laid plans of mice and men... Hiking is still, as you say, good for you and outdoors-y. May I ask what "parkour kung fu shoes" are? I've just been parkouring in my regular sneakers - all the "made for parkour" shoes are either super expensive or zero cushioning. : P

Grats on the weight loss! I hear on the "not really a goal but always a goal" thing. It's nice to get a little boost of unexpected good news. How'd week 3 go? Closing in on the end of the challenge. You've got this!

My parkour shoes are low/no cushion, but I love them.  I am wearing them now.  Under 20$. Amazon. "TimeBus Chinese Traditional Breathable Martial Arts Tai Chi Kung Fu Shoes", sadly the color combo (bright blue with yellow laces and kanji) seems to not be there, but there are black, red, and white ones.  I am interested in the highly touted "Feiyue Tiger Claw" shoes, very similar make, but more rubber coating on the toes, that will likely hold up longer, but I saw the blue ones and wanted them so...

Week 3 was good.  Are we in week 3 or 4?  THIS WEEK has been incredible, even if nothing comes from it, last year, as a life-goal, I started working on film stuff in Atlanta and builds, etc, just to keep active in the industry because whenever my "money job" goes away, I want to jump over to my CV of film, prop, and puppetry work.  Anyway, I've been doing a "do it yourself internship" once a month in ATL or NYC, and Monday I was invited, out of nowhere, to audition in ATL for a TV show, as a puppeteer.  I signed an NDA so I can't go into detail, and really, I don't have details to share anyway, but it's for a show ordered by (drumroll, please) THE BBC.  I LOVE the BBC. I want to work for the BBC more than any other production company (okay, so really, I want to make props and puppets or puppeteer for Doctor Who more than anything, it's just true).  I auditioned yesterday, met the creator who was super charming and sweet, and is responsible for some epic young children's programming, and got a call back. Auditioned again in the top ten, and we'll see.  I'm also up against UK puppeteers auditioning next week, so who can say.  I am a little doubtful I'll get it, which is a shame, but I am proud that they came to me, because I had worked to put my name out there, and viola, it happened, and for my favourite network in the world (sorry, NHK).  Even if nothing comes of it, this week alone has been quite a success.  And if I do get it?  Freaking life changing.  LIFE CHANGING.

Either way, making it to the top 10 (sounds like some reality TV show) goes a long way to suppressing my Impostor Syndrome (we've all got it), and now I am going to go back to working on puppets for the conference in June and my special puppet for Dragon Con in Aug/Sept.

Still have not been running... well, not with regularity.  I have gone running twice last week, and tried to on Monday after I got that email, I needed to expel some frantic energy, but got roped into talking with friends that I passed by, which is not at all a problem.

I think I'll try to run tonight. As for the audition, I won't know anything for two weeks so I'll just be nerves and productivity until then.

• Like 2

Oh, oh, oh!  I am also picking out the perfect color (it's a medium cool gray) for my livingroom.  I am going to paint my living room gray.  It doesn't sound sexy, but I like it, should make all the colorful things in it pop.  And if that fails?  I can always paint over it later.
My bedroom is Tardis blue (hello, nerd), but it's a dark color to put everywhere in the house.

All part of putting my house in order.

• Like 2

What?  What? That's it?  I did it?  We did it?  Well I did 3/4 of it, though I did get to running last week.  My house is way more ordered than before, and I am financially stable-ish as I get ready to pay the last bit of my conference and my kitchen makes some sense.

I enjoyed the FitnessPal whatever it was, but I've already uninstalled it on my phone, but I plan to keep tracking with the Fitbit app, it tracks my sleep, calorie burning, steps, etc, and has a food tracking section. I'm jumping to it.  But I feel much better, just even knowing what 200,500,600,1200,1500 or so calories looks like in a snack, a meal, a day, etc.  It's all about wrapping yo' brain around it!  And I like that Fitbit at no time suggests 1200 calories to me as a goal to stay under, since you guys helped point out that was a bad idea.

I got through this challenge easy peasy.  I owe it to you all for checking in.  Yesterday it occurred to me that the challenge was over and I hardly noticed 4 weeks go by.  And what a 4 weeks it has been?
I'm going back to that nifty work sheet to figure out what my next challenge will be.  May 27th, here I come!

Thanks again, nerds!

• Like 3
On 5/18/2017 at 11:45 AM, tinywonder said:

I am a little doubtful I'll get it, which is a shame, but I am proud that they came to me, because I had worked to put my name out there, and viola, it happened, and for my favourite network in the world (sorry, NHK).  Even if nothing comes of it, this week alone has been quite a success.  And if I do get it?  Freaking life changing.  LIFE CHANGING.

Congratulations on the initial and top ten auditions! As you say, even if you get a no, you know you're an elite! Also, grats on a successful challenge! I agree that tracking calories is a pain. I've got a good idea of my intake, and I'll go back to tracking for a few days every now and then to make sure I'm not deviating hugely, but overall, once you get a good idea of what it looks like, you're probably good to go. Keep up the great work, and hope to see you in the next challenge!

Thank you!  I've already "moved on", though it took a day and a half, and I am back to making my own projects.  I am deciding to assume it's a "no", and then if I get a call or email in a week or so and it's not a "no", well, holy dammit!  But in all seriousness, I am doubtful, still.  I might even tell them I am happy to volunteer if they need an extra set of hands.  Again, I have been doing film work for free (DIY Internship) and this isn't a union gig so I would not be undercutting the union... maybe we'll see if they ever need the help.  Doubtful again, but I want that IMDB credit like bonkers a lot.

Oh!  I have started a new challenge! Feel free to pop in!  I'm going to try to be more forum active and follow up with other people's challenges too!  Making new friends!
It's here:  There will be puppets!  I am working on a film and a build for Dragon Con, both a part of this next challenge!

• Like 1