• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zeroh13

Zeroh camps with the Rangers, part 1

Yesterday I woke up sore. Still sore today, but not as bad. I'm going to the park again tomorrow. But first I need to get better warm-up and cool-down routines. I also need to make a solid workout plan. Also check form. What I do generally looks something like this:

1 mile walk to playground (used to do walk/run, but that's not happening again anytime soon...)

Warm-up

Dead-hang or squat pull-ups

Incline push-ups

Dead-hang or squat pull-ups (whichever I didn't do before)

Obstacle race

Rest

And repeat 3 or 4 times.

Stretch

Walk home (used to be walk/run)

Hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow.

I'd like to look through job postings on my way home. Don't know if I'll have the motivation though.

I finally got the self care list done this morning. I'll copy it to my new bullet journal when it arrives.

The negative thoughts have been pretty much the same the past few days.

I did call myself stupid yesterday when I got home. I told my wife something like "I was stupid and forgot to put more pills in the container I carry with me. I can't take my meds at the same time every day if I don't have them." Then after a few moments I said "I really shouldn't call myself stupid..."

• Like 8

Your park workout sounds really good!

The idea of changing your self talk is really powerful. Some of that is habit and hard to change all at once. Keep working on it. You can do it!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Obstacle race

The park has an obstacle race? What is it like? 

Your playground workout has me thinking of my own strength goals, I found out last year that I definitely don't like working out at gyms. Have always pushed aside that I'm nowhere near ready for the monkey bars. I guess my own fight of my way of thinking. 

Also cheering you own for the change of thinking, I personally usually get surprised when I become aware of how sneaky bad thoughts can be put into everyday life.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I told my wife something like "I was stupid and forgot to put more pills in the container I carry with me. I can't take my meds at the same time every day if I don't have them." Then after a few moments I said "I really shouldn't call myself stupid..."

A simple tweak that can help a bunch is moving from "I really shouldn't call myself stupid" to "I no longer call myself stupid." The first one puts shame on you for doing something you shouldn't do, the second simply states a fact that you don't do that anymore, and will be more effective in helping you do something else next time.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Bouncer the Resilient said:

The park has an obstacle race? What is it like? 

Your playground workout has me thinking of my own strength goals, I found out last year that I definitely don't like working out at gyms. Have always pushed aside that I'm nowhere near ready for the monkey bars. I guess my own fight of my way of thinking. 

It's more like I turn the playground into an obstacle course. I was actually putting something together to show it before you asked, I just didn't have time to post it. 

TADA!

(I have multiple Instagram accounts, I made this one today just for fitness related stuff.)

I hope my description is easy enough to follow. Sometimes I have to change it up, depending on where the spiders have invaded. Getting your face covered in webs is not fun!

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing, I'm definitely adding an adventure time at my local park for the start of my summer break next week. See what I can do after being shut down for the few months. 

17 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Sometimes I have to change it up, depending on where the spiders have invaded. Getting your face covered in webs is not fun!

That would help to keep the excitement or change of pace xD

• Like 2

Self-care tonight is going to be a lot of bullet journaling. Self-care is also eating this salad that's sitting next to me, that I'm procrastinating eating... (It's a really good salad, just *sigh*)

I had some extra time this morning, so I took "before" pics. I might post them later? I'd have to find a good way to post it without using Instagram...

But I did post a video of me doing something! Which is one step closer to feeling comfortable posting before/after.

I'm a bit rusty. And I'm not quite sure about my form. I also took this after my workout, so my arms and hands were starting to protest. Right now, my most limiting factor with the dead hang is my grip strength. Something to work on.

The concert I was going to is getting rescheduled. Not sure when it'll be yet. But I will have to find another adventure to replace it. And I still need to figure out what to do May 1st!

I'm going to go eat that salad now... (promise)

• Like 5

I have an imgur account for most of the non-IG stuff I post.  You can upload photos and keep them private from the Imgur site, and only you have the hyperlink to post them.  Does that make sense?? *scratches head*

I need to take some current photos!  My 'before' photos from 3 years ago make me screech off into the sunset~

DEAD HANGS!  Go go grip strength!!  An aside - IMHO your haircut and glasses really suit you. <3 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, shaar said:

I have an imgur account for most of the non-IG stuff I post.  You can upload photos and keep them private from the Imgur site, and only you have the hyperlink to post them.  Does that make sense?? *scratches head*

Makes perfect sense! (To me at least, don't know about anyone else :P )

2 hours ago, shaar said:

An aside - IMHO your haircut and glasses really suit you. <3 

Thanks. :D

14 hours ago, Severine said:

Woo before pics! And great video :)

Glad the concert was rescheduled and not cancelled.

Thanks!

Week one is pretty much over, isn't it? I'll need to do a recap later, maybe Monday. And the month is almost over too! >_<

Okay... Before pics...

I can't look at these impartially. I just focus on the areas that I have the most problem with... But when I try really hard, my body maybe doesn't look that bad? It is a reminder that I really need to focus on my posture though. It makes a noticable difference.

I have the most issues with my stomach, chest, and hips. I can try to lose some fat, and eventually my stomach will flatten up. But I can't do anything about my chest because $$$/insurance/binary-BS. And there's just nothing I can do to get rid of the curves...

(And the angle/the way I'm standing in the first pic look a bit weird because I'm balancing on the edge of the bathtub while holding up my shirt and taking a picture.)

an7dcC2.jpg

LB2xOqP.jpg

• Like 6

Braveness CONQUERED!

I had a pair of totally worn ripped jeans like that I had to toss because they got too un-wearable. ;_____;  I miss them........

• Like 3

On 29/04/2017 at 5:30 PM, zeroh13 said:

I can't look at these impartially. I just focus on the areas that I have the most problem with... But when I try really hard, my body maybe doesn't look that bad? It is a reminder that I really need to focus on my posture though. It makes a noticable difference.

Who can? I think we have the hardest time looking at ourselves :) but no they don't look that bad. 

Great work on the pull up progress! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shaar said:

Braveness CONQUERED!

I had a pair of totally worn ripped jeans like that I had to toss because they got too un-wearable. ;_____;  I miss them........

^_^

What you can't see are the parts being held together by safety pins! :P

It's my favorite pair of pants, thus how they got so worn and ripped. I'm going to do everything I can to make them wearable. (the safety pins are actually holding the edges of the holes together to try and keep them from ripping more)

4 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Who can? I think we have the hardest time looking at ourselves :) but no they don't look that bad. 

Great work on the pull up progress! 

Thanks!

I didn't get my workout in this morning, because I decided to go on an adventure instead. It started a little rough cause I missed my bus stop, and ended up in what felt like the middle of nowhere. But I eventually got there!

It wasn't much of a hike cause I got distracted early on and ended up sitting by the lake for a good half hour. Then my phone battery was getting low so I had to head home. But not before I picked up some wine for tonight (for Beltane). :D

• Like 6

IThings haven't been going bad per se. Just a combination of offline time and work.

Fire (job hunt)

I did math. (Fun fact: I usually have a lot of math running in the background of my challenges.) Three hours set aside for job searching. Usually I'd try to split that up, but I had the option to set my work schedule for Wednesday, so I worked till lunch, ate, and then headed to the library and got all of the hours out of the way at once. Which actually worked better than splitting it up.

I found a couple of job postings last week, and this week picked one to apply to. Wednesday I worked on my resume and I think it's in good shape. Or as good as I can get it while still being truthful. I know one of the standard suggestions is to use numbers and concrete achievements. But that doesn't work with how my job works. 

And now I'm stuck where I always get stuck, the cover letter. I understand the basics of the letter (or at least I think I do), but getting it written is a completely different story.

Address it to a person. Except I have no idea who would be in charge of hiring for the position, or how to find out. It's a management position at a cafe chain, and I don't know if it goes through corporate HR, or straight to the store? Or maybe the area director?

And then there's the same problem I have with my resume, concrete examples with numbers.

And then there's trying not to sound like a robot or like someone else. Or sound copy-pasted. Etc, etc, etc.

Water (physical training)

Aside from the daily dares, not much of anything this week. I really need to get on top of scheduling this. I didn't make a schedule until late Tuesday, and missed my opportunity to get to the park Tuesday morning, the only day I actually had time for it. I have zero motivation for exercising indoors. I think it's the same type of problem I have with studying, where it won't get done unless I'm at a library. 

Earth (self-care)

I can do better, but I'm not doing badly. A lot of working on my bullet journal this week. Some video gaming with my wife.

I feel like a bit more variety would do me some good though. It's like how if you write scripts, you can't just put all of your energy into movies. You need to be a sponge and soak up other media, and you can't just stay glued to your computer, you need to get out and do some people-watching.

Air (adventure)

I nailed that this week. I have several good pics I still need to post too. And I barely explored the park, so still a lot of opportunity there.

This has also gotten me into really wanting a real camera. Something with manual focus. I should do some research...

Spirit (positive thinking)

I've been decent at calling out the negative thoughts. Mostly around my eating or lack of eating (which has also been getting better). But I think overall there were less of them this week compared to last week. 

I might (probably) add listening to my body (especially when it comes to hunger). More mindfulness and all that.

• Like 5

Good luck with the job hunt. The covering letter does really suck. I always advise people just to keep everything short and concise because, despite everyone best intentions, these things really only get scanned over until the actual interview, which is when you'll have ample chance to elaborate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

Good luck with the job hunt. The covering letter does really suck. I always advise people just to keep everything short and concise because, despite everyone best intentions, these things really only get scanned over until the actual interview, which is when you'll have ample chance to elaborate.

When I was in college, one of my professors said that you write a good cover letter so they'll look at your resume, and write a good resume so you'll get the interview. And that sometimes it just comes down to luck, like when a person is scanning 100s of applications. And don't give them a reason to throw it out because no one has time for someone that doesn't proofread or follow directions.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

When I was in college, one of my professors said that you write a good cover letter so they'll look at your resume, and write a good resume so you'll get the interview. And that sometimes it just comes down to luck, like when a person is scanning 100s of applications. And don't give them a reason to throw it out because no one has time for someone that doesn't proofread or follow directions.

Exactly that. I never really believed this was true until I was in the position to be hiring. I like to think of myself as someone who is willing to give the benefit of the doubt and to be the one to give someone a chance but I'm also a really busy person. Silly little errors stand out. Nothing is worse than being given a wall of text to read or a CV that is 6 pages long, even if it is the most beautiful prose.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Bouncer the Resilient said:

It's cool to see how your adventures do end up being a bit of self care involved. Interested in how you are looking into adding a bit more variety of self care though.

I have a list of ideas. I've just been neglecting it...

• Like 3

Catch up / fall behind / catch up / fall behind

This time I actually made a schedule before the week really started.

Yesterday morning I got out to the playground and got a nice workout in. But I forgot to count sets, oops. I stopped when this little productive spider started putting webs back where I had cleared them with my webbing-be-gone stick. 

Then I practiced my balancing. First I did it on top of this wall/tier thing, where on one side it was less than a foot, it gradually increases to maybe four feet? It's wide enough that I can walk it easily, I do it more to work on my fear of heights. Then I saw a log not too far away, and thought that would be a lot more fun.

The afternoon was supposed to be a five hour job hunting marathon. I made it to almost four hours before I just couldn't anymore. It didn't help that I forgot that the place I had planned on going to is closed on Mondays... So I went to the library instead. It's a good place to get work done, but no coffee

The job I had been working on stuff for, I looked closer and it wasn't posted month ago, it was posted in 2016...

So that threw me off, and I had to look through job listings again. I found one that's a little different than what I was looking for, but it might work. And after doing some research on the company, I have a good feeling about this one. 

I also registered for food handling/safety training, so once I get the certification from that, my resume will have a little extra oomph. 

This morning was more job hunting, then lunch, and now I'm at work.

Self-care in the past few days has included reading articles, massaging my back with a lacrosse ball, drawing in my bullet journal, and just general family time with my wife. Also going to group therapy and participating. And treating myself to a nice dinner yesterday.

• Like 6

Hey there Zeroh! First, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your body. Good job taking and posting your pictures. Use them however they work for you. You're looking pretty strong in the dead hang!

I would add one thing to the cover letter and resume discussion. The most important thing is to actually submit the application. So if you can't figure out the perfect resume language or can't find out the name of the best person to put on the letter, just do your best and send it in. People who don't apply definitely won't get the job. 

• Like 4

On 5/5/2017 at 4:05 PM, zeroh13 said:

And now I'm stuck where I always get stuck, the cover letter. I understand the basics of the letter (or at least I think I do), but getting it written is a completely different story.

Address it to a person. Except I have no idea who would be in charge of hiring for the position, or how to find out. It's a management position at a cafe chain, and I don't know if it goes through corporate HR, or straight to the store? Or maybe the area director?

If you're doing a bunch of job hunting, one suggestion is to write out several cover letter paragraphs that highlight different skills and drag and drop. That way you don't have to build a new one every time.

When you don't know the name of the person you're writing to, I find that writing "Dear Hiring Manager" feels awkward, unfriendly, and disinterested. I just write "Greetings" and leave it at that. 

1 hour ago, Xena said:

I would add one thing to the cover letter and resume discussion. The most important thing is to actually submit the application. So if you can't figure out the perfect resume language or can't find out the name of the best person to put on the letter, just do your best and send it in. People who don't apply definitely won't get the job. 

This! You miss every shot you don't take, and you never know what the circumstances will be on the other end of the hiring line. It could be that they're flooded with applicants and have no time to sort them, or it could be that they're struggling to fill the position and are desperate for a warm body. (That might not be the kind of place you want to work long-term, but as a stop-gap measure it can be very helpful! My current company is like that.) 

One thing I will add if you are looking for your "forever home" in the job world: a company will never treat you better than they do when they're trying to hire you. If they're distracted, slow to respond, don't want to negotiate, aren't open to questions, mean, rude, or seem disinterested or disingenuous, you can expect that treatment to stay the same or worsen once you're working there for real. It sounds like you really need to find a new place, and frankly, that's absolutely fine -- you have to take care of yourself. Just keep in mind that if you take a job that treats you like that, you're taking it for the paycheck, and your job hunt is not over. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Xena said:

Hey there Zeroh! First, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your body. Good job taking and posting your pictures. Use them however they work for you. You're looking pretty strong in the dead hang!

Thanks. :)

I'm determined to send in the application I'm working on today. And then tomorrow, and maybe on the train Sunday, I'll focus on studying for the certification exam.

15 hours ago, tyrannosaurus rose said:

When you don't know the name of the person you're writing to, I find that writing "Dear Hiring Manager" feels awkward, unfriendly, and disinterested. I just write "Greetings" and leave it at that. 

That's a good one! 

15 hours ago, tyrannosaurus rose said:

One thing I will add if you are looking for your "forever home" in the job world: a company will never treat you better than they do when they're trying to hire you. If they're distracted, slow to respond, don't want to negotiate, aren't open to questions, mean, rude, or seem disinterested or disingenuous, you can expect that treatment to stay the same or worsen once you're working there for real. It sounds like you really need to find a new place, and frankly, that's absolutely fine -- you have to take care of yourself. Just keep in mind that if you take a job that treats you like that, you're taking it for the paycheck, and your job hunt is not over. 

I'm interested in so many different things, that I don't know what a "forever home" would look like. But, the company I'm applying to sounds like a pretty good fit for me, at least from what I can tell on its website. Like, I would be pretty excited to work there. Hopefully its website is more than hype. But, I'm hoping some of that excitement shows through what I send them and helps me get a positive response back.

In hindsight, my brief employment at the juice bar was like that. The initial response was great, and I got an interview the day after I sent in my information. But trying to get a hold of the owner after that was like pulling teeth. After a lot of persistence on my part I was officially hired. And then it turned out he was more interested in getting the fastest employees who could learn the quickest, than in giving someone slower, but was excited about the purpose and mission behind the place, the chance to catch up to everyone else. Then couldn't be bothered to give fair feedback after firing someone based on a mandatory evaluation, and immediately jumped on the defensive when asked about it. I guess he was just too busy and couldn't be bothered. /rant

• Like 6