• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nianne

Nianne respawns

In times past, I was unhappy, and I used my resentment to fuel my passions. I was a trail runner and a novelist, and much more. Now I have a new career and a new fiance and I'm much happier, and I find myself not seeing the need to do many of the things that I used to do in order to keep myself going. But I did like those things about myself, and I'd like to start bringing some of those things forward into my new life.

I've spent the last year and a half loading trailers for UPS, and this week they're putting me up in a hotel and sending me through Integrad, their big driver training course. If I pass, I'll be put through a new 30-working-day probation as a delivery driver. By all accounts this is difficult and stressful and less than half the people who make it to this point clear the probationary period and stay on as a driver. But I'm determined to make it though.

My goals for this challenge are:

1) Choose unsweetened black coffee.

2) No snacking/boozing/big desserts after dinner. Recognize when you're done eating for the day and stop.

A maximum of two exception days may be made to this rule in the event of celebratory get-togethers with friends.

3) Get my heart-rate up every morning before breakfast.

Suggested routine: 20 minutes of tai-chi, silly dancing, and jumping jacks/jump rope/burpees.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:18 AM, Nianne said:

No snacking/boozing/big desserts after dinner.

This is a big weakness for me as well.  I think that just knowing that you are going to be posing your successes here should help (it has for me anyway).

That sounds like an awesome (and terrifying!) life change! All the best for you and that course! :D

Your goals look fabulous, and how are you doing with them so far? I always find that my motivation is zero to nill before 9am, so doing anything like that is always really cool to me :P

• Like 1

Week One Recap

I had a great time at Integrad. There was a ton of stuff to learn. We were in the classroom for 10.5 to 11 hours a day, working in pairs. A lot of what I’d read in the past year on human performance really came together for me, and I got to experience a better version of myself than I’d been able to achieve in the past – without anything more assistance-wise than a morning cup of coffee. My brain was operating in an overdrive mode I could literally feel and I know I impressed the people around me with how quickly I was learning and how much of the material I was retaining on the first try. I was also having an unaccustomed level of social success. I was funny and consistently charming. I had total respect from my randomly-assigned partner and I easily commanded the attention of my larger project group. And I was having loads of fun. By the end of the second day, I had the distinct impression that the trainers were probing me for the kind of personal backstory that goes into building a legend – one of those students you can still talk about five or ten years later.

Unfortunately, I did not pass the class. What it came down to was the material they don’t train you on, which, as bizarre as this may sound, meant handling the plus-sized vehicle. There was no vehicle handling instruction available in the week-long driver training class, just a few exceptionally-brief practice tests before the final road test. On the day before the final I handled the truck with no demerits, but they expect you to perform a massive verbalization ritual as you drive and I was too slow at that. The next day, on the final, I nailed the verbalization, but at the expense of my lane position. They told me if I wanted, I could try again in six months.

I’m going to spend some time deciding whether or not that’s something I want to pursue. In the meanwhile, I’ve still got my part-time job, and I put in applications to be a summer assistant park ranger at some of the parks along the Columbia River Gorge.

As far as my challenge goals, I believe the morning exercise was instrumental in getting myself ready to learn on those long days. It was actually easier implementing a ritual like that in a do-or-die setting like a week in a business hotel suite. It will be a harder challenge getting myself to continue the practice now that I’m back home. I managed to avoid late-night snacking mostly because we were eating three meals a day, where I’d accustomed myself to just two, and I wasn’t having dinner until quite late – so again this will be a whole new challenge in the final three weeks of the challenge. I am finally developing a taste for black coffee. Or, more accurately, I’ve discovered that if I water black coffee down enough, it doesn’t taste so strong that I feel compelled to cut it with milk and sugar.

I’ll be checking in more regularly now that I’m back on a normal schedule. Wish me luck!

I have had to resist the wine and cookies after work this week, which has been a drag, but the thing I'm struggling on most is getting the exercise in before breakfast. I usually wake up so early that I lay in bed and snuggle my fiance until I'm starving. Today I gave it just 15 minutes lying in bed and then got myself up and got my exercise in before I got so hungry. It worked great -- and I'll see if I can keep it up until it becomes regular.

• Like 1

Week Two Recap

I have had a couple mornings that I forgot to get up in time to do my warm-up before I needed breakfast, but on the whole it's been working and it seems like all I need is to solidify my routine.

I went through one of my two celebration nights this week. (Yesterday, in fact.) The trouble with that is, inevitably, getting back into the swing of things the next day.

The black coffee resolution seems to be in the bag.

• Like 2

Week Three Recap

Still rocking it with the black coffee. I used up my second party night, so I have to decline if I get offered any after-dinner treats for the rest of the week. The am workout is still a little hit-and-miss -- mainly because I've got too good an opportunity to lay in bed and be snuggled, to the point that if I get up too enthusiastically I get pouty faces aimed in my direction. Still working out what's the all-around best routine here.

In terms of the challenge in general, I feel that I really do need a bigger fitness quest, such as training for a mud run or working toward my first chin-up. Those were the things that kept me going on nerdfitness in the past. The trouble is being in between careers, it's hard to know what will be a reasonable challenge three weeks from now. I'd love to get my employment settled out, and then pick a nice hefty goal that I can work around my job. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer.

• Like 1

I had one interesting success this week.

I was thinking about how physically active I am and yet I often I catch myself using bad lower-core posture (anterior pelvic tilt: weak abs, butt sticking out in back). I wear earbuds at work and usually listen to audiobooks or occasionally music. I opened my phone's timer app and looked for a feature... infinite repeat. 

I set a one-minute timer going on infinite repeat, and then let it play in my earbuds all day at work. Every time it went off, I checked my posture: abs engaged, hips correct, ribs connected.

So far I've done this for about ten hours in total, and I feel like it's starting to make a difference. In the evenings I feel like I've had a moderate abs workout, but I find myself starting to remember to use good form a lot of other times throughout the day as well.

• Like 2

It is a very physical job. What I do in the mornings is not something I think of so much a "workout" as it is a "professional warmup."

Week Four Recap:

I did go over my 'party evening' allowance by one day, which was yesterday, when we started moving into our new apartment. (Incidentally: Yay, we got a new apartment!)

The black coffee habit is a total slam-dunk.

I'm still working on the morning routine, but now I get to add some physical therapy as well because I was having some trouble with my right knee. So there's some extra accountability in there now.

Overall, I think this was a good re-introduction to the four-week challenge paradigm, and I've *almost* decided what class/etc to play for the next round. 

Fun!

• Like 1