• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Recommended Posts

“Fustercluck

Noun

 

A fucked up clusterfuck.”


 

.gif

 


 

Sometimes you just have to embrace the bad situation and run with it. Enemy sets your legs on fire? Awesome, time to kick him in the head and knock seven shades of shit out of him. Sure, it’s gonna sting a little and your trousers will be pretty much ruined, but can your opponent stand against you and your fiery legs?

 

Nope.

 

Well, my legs are on fire and I’m ready to fight back. I have no solid plan and that’s why I’ve come back to the Rangers. This is not going to be peaceful, this is not going to be stress free, this is going to be erratic and stressful and ultimately rewarding.

 

The situation is this: It’s three weeks and a day until I have to be out of this current flat. I have no permanent accommodation lined up.

 

Except.

 

I have applied for three additional flats after my last viewing trip, and according to the agent who showed me around I should know within a week whether or not I’ve been successful on any of them. We’ll say a week on Monday given that it’s a weekend.

 

So my plan is to play the short game. One week segments, each week based entirely on how the last worked out. I’m giving myself a health meter

 

[+-------------------] (currently sitting at 5%)

 

A social meter

 

[++------------------] (currently sitting at 10%)

 

And a stress meter

 

[++++++++++----------] (currently sitting at 50%)

 

And hoping that the visual aid will provide even the tiniest kick up the ass. Do I know what counts as stress/health/social added or taken away? Nope. Just gonna wing it. Do I know what happens if I hit zero health/social or max stress? Nope. It probably won’t be a good thing. Do I know what happens if I max out health? Well, I’ll probably be happier. Do I know what happens if I max out social? Oversocialisation, most likely. Do I know what happens if my stress hits zero? ...it won’t, but we’ll see.

 

And now for the important part. The goals.

 

Or more accurately, my one goal: to undo the damage my intense stressing is doing to me.

 

And that brings me to week one (which is technically 23rd-1st). My waiting period. I have only three guidelines:

 

  1. Sleep between the hours of 10pm and 7am (variable with morning shifts)

  2. Eat. Stress belly has made me lose my appetite and that has an impact on everything

  3. Socialise. Do not drift away. This is pretty much the only social outlet I have right now and I sorely need it (plus you guys are amazing and when I drift away I do miss you all)

 

I’m taking each day as it comes, and when I have my answer about my applications I’ll know how to structure week number two, and so on and so forth.

 

In case it isn’t blindingly obvious, this is me flailing.

 

Normal service should resume next challenge…



 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along again. I'll stand by with a stick for the bad guys and a fire extinguisher for your flaming trousers.

 

Always good to have you here :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not just following. I'm standing in the wings with Tank, fire extinguisher in hand. I really, really hope you hear back about the flats soon and get a good one :) Let us know if there's anything we can possibly do to help you! (I offer you my spare room, if you ever need it, but I am all the way down in Hatfield....) 

 

Also, fustercluck.... I don't know why, but I love the way that word sounds in my head ;) 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I'm not just following. I'm standing in the wings with Tank, fire extinguisher in hand. I really, really hope you hear back about the flats soon and get a good one :) Let us know if there's anything we can possibly do to help you! (I offer you my spare room, if you ever need it, but I am all the way down in Hatfield....) 

 

Also, fustercluck.... I don't know why, but I love the way that word sounds in my head ;) 

 

Appreciate the fire extinguisher and the offer both, thank you :) 

 

 

18 hours ago, obax said:

We've got 2 fire extinguishers, so I've got the burn salve, just in case. With you on this one, as always!

 

Got to cover all the bases, after all! Glad to have you here :) 

 

 

6 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Seeing as you already have the fire extinguisher and burn salve covered, I'll be standing here with a fresh pair of trousers for you.:)

 

Heh, yep, might well need some of those!

 

 

4 hours ago, skinNbones said:

Hey yeti. Back in the Rangers !

 

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Yep :D Sooner than I expected, but happy to be back nonetheless.

 

 

37 minutes ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

Got some ice cream for you and some cheering while you kick those bad guys,Yeti! You can do this!

 

Thanks Miaulin! Can't say no to ice cream :D 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[++------------------]

[+++-----------------]

[+++++++++++---------]

 

Yesterday didn't go too badly, all things considered. Had an eight hour morning shift, and the CO is on the warpath (has already threatened us all with disciplinary action, informed me that I'm lazy and fairly useless, and has taken to treating me like a five years old). Still, even with that to contend with, I got my list of tasks finished and I got out of there only a few minutes late, for a change.

 

Bonus points for eating two meals whilst on shift.

 

Today has been, so far, a fairly productive one. Woke to an email informing me the scanned application forms hadn't come through properly, and after a couple of attempts to resend we decided it'd be best just for me to post the originals, which required a trip into town. The only downside to that was that the backs of my ankles got ripped to shreds (I need new shoes...). But hey, at least I got out of the flat for a while, which is more than usually happens on my days off these days.

 

My plans for the rest of today are to nudge myself back into productivity, so we'll see how that goes. I'd like to get a meditation session in before bed as well.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iatetheyeti said:

My plans for the rest of today are to nudge myself back into productivity, so we'll see how that goes. I'd like to get a meditation session in before bed as well.

 

Even if the steps you take are smaller then you're used to taking, they are steps nonetheless ;) 

 

And when all else fails! Flying knee FTW!

 

IEmE7J.gif

 

I hope you have a productive and relaxing day, Yeti :)

 

Wolf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wild Wolf said:

 

Even if the steps you take are smaller then you're used to taking, they are steps nonetheless ;) 

 

And when all else fails! Flying knee FTW!

 

IEmE7J.gif

 

I hope you have a productive and relaxing day, Yeti :)

 

Wolf

 

True, true, and I'm even getting better about managing my frustration with having to take it slow, so hey, that's progress too.

 

Heh, and don't worry, if the need arises, you better believe I'll be throwing some of those flying knees about!

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hehehe!  I love the analogy.  I will be lurking around in the shadows, like that one kid wha had a crush on you in 1st year who was always "there" but never spoke to you and kinda creeped you out... :P 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Hehehe!  I love the analogy.  I will be lurking around in the shadows, like that one kid wha had a crush on you in 1st year who was always "there" but never spoke to you and kinda creeped you out... :P 

 

Heh, I never had one of those kids follow me about, I was the creepy kid. Don't think much has changed, really...

 

 

2 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Following if only i just love to say Fustercluck! ;) 

 

It is a truly wonderful word :D 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[+-------------------]

[++------------------]

[++++++++++++++++++--]

 

The universe giveth and the universe taketh away.

 

I got my transfer confirmed, finally. I've got a start date 22nd May, and a start time, and I may or may not now be going into the bakery. Took a bit of doing. CSW came over whilst on the phone to the other store, and they somehow managed to come up with the first as a transfer date, which for obvious reasons would not work. I clarified my availability despite having told personnel this (and they were the ones who cleared my holiday, so...), and eventually we got somewhere.

 

...and then I came home to find that I have been unsuccessful in three of my four housing applications. Not gonna lie, there were tears. The only one still up in the air is for my third choice flat, and even still it isn't looking likely. House hunting is rough, at this point I am unlikely to find anything before I have to leave my current address, and even though I do have a wonderful, life saving friend who has a spare room, I'm panicking. I don't know how long this hunt is going to take. Yes, it'll be easier when I'm permanently across there rather than having to squeeze in brief cross country trips, but close proximity doesn't mean it'll make it faster, just easier.

 

All I can do is keep pushing on. I've got to have this flat spotless for the inspection, and I've got to get everything sorted and packed. So that's what I'll focus on. I also need to start looking into storage options for the bulk of my belongings. If I don't get a place soon, I'll need it. If I get a place with an entry date after the 14th I'll need it.

 

Right now I'm attempting to get through dinner, and afterwards I aim to do a little household stuff. Can't afford an off day for that now.

 

And it all repeats again tomorrow.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

[+-------------------]

[++------------------]

[++++++++++++++++++--]

 

The universe giveth and the universe taketh away.

 

I got my transfer confirmed, finally. I've got a start date 22nd May, and a start time, and I may or may not now be going into the bakery. Took a bit of doing. CSW came over whilst on the phone to the other store, and they somehow managed to come up with the first as a transfer date, which for obvious reasons would not work. I clarified my availability despite having told personnel this (and they were the ones who cleared my holiday, so...), and eventually we got somewhere.

 

...and then I came home to find that I have been unsuccessful in three of my four housing applications. Not gonna lie, there were tears. The only one still up in the air is for my third choice flat, and even still it isn't looking likely. House hunting is rough, at this point I am unlikely to find anything before I have to leave my current address, and even though I do have a wonderful, life saving friend who has a spare room, I'm panicking. I don't know how long this hunt is going to take. Yes, it'll be easier when I'm permanently across there rather than having to squeeze in brief cross country trips, but close proximity doesn't mean it'll make it faster, just easier.

 

All I can do is keep pushing on. I've got to have this flat spotless for the inspection, and I've got to get everything sorted and packed. So that's what I'll focus on. I also need to start looking into storage options for the bulk of my belongings. If I don't get a place soon, I'll need it. If I get a place with an entry date after the 14th I'll need it.

 

Right now I'm attempting to get through dinner, and afterwards I aim to do a little household stuff. Can't afford an off day for that now.

 

And it all repeats again tomorrow.

 

I am so sorry about the flats Yeti. I'm hoping against hope you get the other place. That's so sucky. *virtual hugs*. I guess when you finally get somewhere the sense of accomplishment will be all the more for having to struggle through all this crap. 

 

At least there are positives though. It's great news that you finally got the transfer you needed, so at least that's one thing. 

 

Stay strong, Yeti. You are stronger than this!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

I am so sorry about the flats Yeti. I'm hoping against hope you get the other place. That's so sucky. *virtual hugs*. I guess when you finally get somewhere the sense of accomplishment will be all the more for having to struggle through all this crap. 

 

At least there are positives though. It's great news that you finally got the transfer you needed, so at least that's one thing. 

 

Stay strong, Yeti. You are stronger than this!

 

Thanks, appreciate it :)

 

I'm just tired, you know? Physically, mentally, every which way. All I want is a day where I can wake up and not worry about my immediate future, go about my day, and go to sleep without this storm hanging over my head. I know that day will come, but getting there is, well, exhausting.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iatetheyeti said:

All I want is a day where I can wake up and not worry about my immediate future, go about my day, and go to sleep without this storm hanging over my head. I know that day will come, but getting there is, well, exhausting.

 

That day will come though. It won't be long until you've moved, and even if you have to stay with your friend briefly you'll soon be in a new place of your own. I wish I could help you get their more easily, but remember you have the light ahead.

 

Unrelated: I'm stealing the word fustercluck, it's a good one :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

I'm just tired, you know? Physically, mentally, every which way. All I want is a day where I can wake up and not worry about my immediate future, go about my day, and go to sleep without this storm hanging over my head. I know that day will come, but getting there is, well, exhausting.

FWIW you are handling the storm with great wisdom. You have not shut down, you are doing what you can, realistically assessing the situation, and doing your best.

That's one of the big secrets to life, really.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hug gravity falls comfort comforting there there GIF

 

I'm sorry that you've missed out on those flats. I know house hunting is tiring and depressing, but you'll get through is and you will get something eventually.

 

Do you know if your current landlord / agent has found a new tenant yet? If not, it's worth speaking to them to see if you can stay an extra week in your current flat. I'm sure the landlord will be happy to have an extra weeks rent.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh!  So sorry to hear the news about the flats, that sucks donkey ass!  

 

donkey.jpeg

 

I'm really glad that you have someone you can stay with if you can't get a flat sorted by the time you move, but still, that's a huge worry/stress to be carrying around with you. :( 

 

18 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

I'm just tired, you know? Physically, mentally, every which way. All I want is a day where I can wake up and not worry about my immediate future, go about my day, and go to sleep without this storm hanging over my head. I know that day will come, but getting there is, well, exhausting.

 

This I can relate to.  It is a horrible situation and there's not a lot anyone can say to help or make it better (apart from "here - live in my luxury flat for free"  That would be nice ;) )  One thing I found useful was to try and organise/plan on the things that were in my control.  I would make lists and charts with the things I did have organised and the ones I didn't.  It just helped me to feel more in control.  I know you're fairly burnt out with work and all that just now but could you do some prep for when you move so that you have it done and it's out of the way?  Anything at all, like sorting out which clothes/belongings you can safely pack up now, getting hold of boxes to put all your stuff in, making lists of all the things you will have to notify of your change of address or end your contract (like electricity, phone etc).

 

I don't know if any of that is useful to you, maybe you don't have the energy to do all that now, maybe you've already done it.  I dunno, I just really want to offer something to help. :( 

 

we-want-to-help.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jarric said:

 

That day will come though. It won't be long until you've moved, and even if you have to stay with your friend briefly you'll soon be in a new place of your own. I wish I could help you get their more easily, but remember you have the light ahead.

 

Unrelated: I'm stealing the word fustercluck, it's a good one :)

 

I'm trying to keep it in mind that it's just temporary, that it's not even going to be a lengthy kind of temporary (hopefully!), but keeping things in perspective is kind of a tiring effort.

 

(and it is a good word, isn't it? :D)

 

 

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

FWIW you are handling the storm with great wisdom. You have not shut down, you are doing what you can, realistically assessing the situation, and doing your best.

That's one of the big secrets to life, really.

 

Thanks :) I'm trying to just keep on, hoping attempting to form a routine will help with my state of mind, and in turn help with coping with the stress.

 

 

4 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor happy vibes gif

 

:):):) 

 

 

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

hug gravity falls comfort comforting there there GIF

 

I'm sorry that you've missed out on those flats. I know house hunting is tiring and depressing, but you'll get through is and you will get something eventually.

 

Do you know if your current landlord / agent has found a new tenant yet? If not, it's worth speaking to them to see if you can stay an extra week in your current flat. I'm sure the landlord will be happy to have an extra weeks rent.

 

I'm hoping eventually will be shorter than I'm fearing, but yeah, it will happen, and somehow I will keep my head up until then.

 

Unfortunately I have to be out when I've said I'll be out. There's an inspection arranged and an ad (sans pictures for the moment, apparently the latter half of the inspection is for updated photos) already up. I understand the rush, it'd be a gap in my landlord's income to have the place empty for too long and having to maintain it.

 

 

2 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Ugh!  So sorry to hear the news about the flats, that sucks donkey ass!  

 

donkey.jpeg

 

I'm really glad that you have someone you can stay with if you can't get a flat sorted by the time you move, but still, that's a huge worry/stress to be carrying around with you. :( 

 

 

This I can relate to.  It is a horrible situation and there's not a lot anyone can say to help or make it better (apart from "here - live in my luxury flat for free"  That would be nice ;) )  One thing I found useful was to try and organise/plan on the things that were in my control.  I would make lists and charts with the things I did have organised and the ones I didn't.  It just helped me to feel more in control.  I know you're fairly burnt out with work and all that just now but could you do some prep for when you move so that you have it done and it's out of the way?  Anything at all, like sorting out which clothes/belongings you can safely pack up now, getting hold of boxes to put all your stuff in, making lists of all the things you will have to notify of your change of address or end your contract (like electricity, phone etc).

 

I don't know if any of that is useful to you, maybe you don't have the energy to do all that now, maybe you've already done it.  I dunno, I just really want to offer something to help. :( 

 

we-want-to-help.png

 

I appreciate it. Believe me, just knowing people are listening is a huge help.

 

I've already hopped on the organisation bus, it's like you said, it helps me feel a little more in control of the situation, plus it keeps me busy (and not wallowing in self-pity), plus it means I'll be prepared for the move in good time. I reckon I'll probably be living out of a couple of suitcases for a while, so if I can sort out what I'll need for that and pack the rest up, so much the better. Next task is going to be cancelling my internet. Somehow. Cancellations with TalkTalk are reported to be nigh on impossible, but I'd like to see them try and charge me for an address I don't live at...

 

...and if anyone does have a luxury flat I could move into for free, please do tell!

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[+-------------------]

[++------------------]

[++++++++++++++------]

 

The doom cloud is still hanging low, but in spite of that my application for Flat 3 is inching forwards. I've also put together another cross country trip and am working on pulling together a list of other properties to view. Should I be successful with Flat 3 (creatively named as it was my third choice flat), I can always cancel the viewings and use the trip for other productive purposes. If not, then hey, I've got some backups in the works and even if I'm not in permanent accommodation by the 14th (highly likely), then maybe this trip will mean I don't have to impose on my friend for very long at all.

 

And on the bright side you could well say I got some Spartan training in. Went to pick up some moving supplies from Argos, and that involved carrying a box three feet long and two feet wide (but only a hand span deep), weighing 11kg, from Argos to my flat. A little under half a mile.

 

Not so bad, right?!

 

I'm only planning on getting a box or two done tonight before bed, but it's still something.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.