• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

suzyQlou

Suzy Q pushes a tiny bit more

Hope the ankle feels better soon. My ankle has felt a bit wonky this week too. Good job on week 3. Woot for tracking on Mother's Day. Tracking even though you know you won't hit your numbers still gives you good info. 

• Like 1

I'm still so impressed with your green thumb!  Sorry about Mrs. Silver.  Chickens are cool little creatures. 

Proud of you for tracking on Mother's day - holidays can be tough.

You are doing a great job this challenge!  Keep it up!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Salinger said:

beautiful! You are so lucky, one day i hope to own my own place with a bigger garden :)

Thanks for being around, its a lovely distraction to read about your plants and stuff x

It's nice to have you along for the distraction!  Gardening isn't especially nerdy, so I'm happy to find some kindred spirits on these boards who love it like I do!

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Hope the ankle feels better soon. My ankle has felt a bit wonky this week too. Good job on week 3. Woot for tracking on Mother's Day. Tracking even though you know you won't hit your numbers still gives you good info. 

Yeah, you're right about the tracking on special days.  I don't regret the Dairy Queen, but it gives me a good idea of just how special a special treat can be.

13 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I'm still so impressed with your green thumb!  Sorry about Mrs. Silver.  Chickens are cool little creatures. 

Proud of you for tracking on Mother's day - holidays can be tough.

You are doing a great job this challenge!  Keep it up!

It's good to see you.  Thanks for the encouragement and condolences.  We chicken people will always stick together!

I'm feeling a little discouraged today.  I went to the doctor for my pre-camp physical last week.  I asked about trying physical therapy for my knees/ankles.  It has been five years since the last time I did that, and I am in a much better place fitness wise.  I figured if I can find the RIGHT exercises to strengthen my muscles, I will actually DO them this time around.

Anyways, it opened a can of worms, and the doctor recommended x-rays which she later evaluated.  When the office called, they said that my arthritis has definitely advanced in the last five years, and that I should proceed with physical therapy.  The therapist will recommend good/bad activities to help me manage the ongoing pain and discomfort.  Oh, yeah.  And I should consider weight loss, too.

I'm trying to see this as a good thing.  It's not really surprising.  But still, I'm afraid of getting older and having limits!  I am thinking I might have felt better about myself if I looked for a trainer instead of a therapist.  It was just easier to talk to a doctor (who I had to see anyway) instead of seeking out someone in the fitness world (where I know no one).  Sigh.  And weight loss?  DUH!  What have I been trying to do for the past two years?!!!

giphy.gif

On the plus side, I've discovered something.  I've had a change in routine lately that is probably contributing to my most recent ankle/knee issues.  I used to do 10 minutes of stretching every morning while I pried my son out of bed.  Since I don't pack his lunch anymore, there's more time to goof off.  Somehow, I just got away from the habit.  So, it looks like I'll be adding this back for next challenge.  I have a funny feeling that stretching is REALLY important, and I've been focusing on cardio/strength without it.  There you go.  Self diagnosis.  Who needs a stinkin' doctor?

Also on the plus side, today is progress photo day, and I've actually made weight loss progress from last month!  I've already celebrated this weight loss last week, but it's good to have it on my monthly photo collection as proof!

• Like 4

Congrats on the weight loss and figuring out what helps you. I find if I take a few minutes and stretch and do some joint mobility work I feel much better. Sorry about the  arthritis, hopefully it will serve as a reminder of how important it is to move your body. Frustrating to me that more doctors don't talk about that side of the equation

• Like 2

On 5/18/2017 at 10:09 AM, suzyQlou said:

I have a funny feeling that stretching is REALLY important, and I've been focusing on cardio/strength without it.  There you go.  Self diagnosis.

stretching IS really important...I found this out the hard way myself. Congrats on the progress! 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 11:39 AM, Elastigirl said:

Congrats on the weight loss and figuring out what helps you. I find if I take a few minutes and stretch and do some joint mobility work I feel much better. Sorry about the  arthritis, hopefully it will serve as a reminder of how important it is to move your body. Frustrating to me that more doctors don't talk about that side of the equation

Yep.  Absolutely gonna move and stretch as I get older.  It is soooo important!

On 5/20/2017 at 4:15 PM, honeybadger said:

stretching IS really important...I found this out the hard way myself. Congrats on the progress! 

Yep.  So crazy how easy it is to forget about stretching.  I feel like I've re-learned this lesson a million times!

So, I went to see the physical therapist and am encouraged.  I knew I would be.  So much optimism from two young guys (one was an intern of some kind) who know that they can fix everything in the whole world.  I am a little hesitant to put in the time and money, but I know this is the time to stick with it.  The biggest win was hearing actual reasons why my joints hurt.  It seems really possible that my hips are not stretchy enough and that my calf muscles are too strong.  This is the kind of information I couldn't just guess or look up.  Plus, it's good timing for the next challenge.  I'm going to need some accountability to stick with the boring homework exercises.

Speaking of the next challenge, I better wrap this last week up!

1 Eating. Restaurant planning.  2/3.  I really thought before eating/ordering.  It was a great weekend.  

2 Eating:  Roll-the-dice tracking.  4/4.  Seriously.  It is statistically UNLIKELY to roll a "one" four out of seven days.  But I did.  And I tracked them in detail.  And tracking helped me make good choices.  So, yay!  It's a win.

3 Workouts. Switcharoo for 5k training.  5/6.  Mostly good.  I'm missing some mornings now in zero week and last week because of activities at school.  It's ok with me.  This is just a busy time, and I'm so happy to be able to participate in the fun school stuff here at the end of the year.

4 Family Goal:  Fruit with breakfast.  5/5.  Almost too easy :) 

Finally, I just want to say thanks for letting me share my garden photos with you.  As a mom, there's not much that I do for only myself.  Gardening is my own little escape...and I appreciate everyone here who encouraged me along the way.  I have one more to share, and it's full of hope.  I planted kale seeds when Terra talked about them and Tank was sharing yummy kale recipes.  I thought that they were a bust until just a few days ago.  What I thought were radishes that grow easily and everywhere turned out to be this lovely, curly blue kale!  So now I am optimistic yet again.  I may forget where I plant things...but I CAN grow lots of good stuff!

HyKe1Ful.jpg

• Like 2