• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

suzyQlou

Suzy Q pushes a tiny bit more

Following!

Love the goals and the garden pictures. I wish I had a green thumb and didn't live in a city condo. I would love to be able to grow stuff.  I don't know if you mentioned it but when is your 5k? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

Only good things today!  I figured out the myfitness app better and it wasn't so terrible.  I haven't logged foods in many years, so the interface had changed a bunch.  Now that I figured out how to search the whole database and not just my own stuff, life is much easier.  So, one day of tracking shows calories are on track, but there are a whole bunch of carbs in my macros.  Interesting...

The weekend is definitely the most challenging part of my challenge, and I'm off to a good start.  I mastered restaurant planning for two meals - including pizza shop trickery.  I ordered a grilled chicken salad and had 1/2 slice of veggie pizza on the side instead of having too much pizza with a small salad on the side.  This is big news for me!

Plus, I squeezed in a Saturday strength workout.  It is not as easy to do it outside of my normal 30 minute window.  But it is definitely possible.

Garden prize is a peek at my vegetable garden.  This is the last week the chickens will be living here.  Frost is mostly gone, and the veggies move in soon.  My coop is on wheels, so the chickens will move up to the part of the garden enclosed in lattice.  During March and April, they earn their keep spreading compost and adding their own magic fertilizer to the veggie beds.  It's kind of hard to see what's planted right now - the strawberry patch is on the left, and sugar snap peas are growing up the fence.  Other than that, I just have onions, radishes, broccoli, and spinach.  Lettuce is in the cold frame in the back.

Pyh5Mijl.jpg

Ooo, beautiful! We are going to build a bed for strawberries either later this year or next, with plans to have it be covered in some kind of chicken wire deal. Do you have problems with birds and critters eating yours or no?

• Like 1

On 4/29/2017 at 0:01 PM, honeybadger said:

Following!

Love the goals and the garden pictures. I wish I had a green thumb and didn't live in a city condo. I would love to be able to grow stuff.  I don't know if you mentioned it but when is your 5k? 

Good to see you!  Growing stuff is fun.  I kinda miss my apartment days when I had only window boxes.  They were so incredibly lush all..the..time because I only had a tiny bit of dirt to fuss over.  The 5k is still a little hypothetical.  I'm planning on the first or second week of August, but the library hasn't published an official date yet.  I'll run for reading...unless a better T-shirt opportunity comes up :) 

On 4/29/2017 at 10:05 PM, Elastigirl said:

Glad you figured out MFP, and woohoo on making wise choices while eating out!

Thanks!  It's a good think MFP loggign is easy again because I rolled a one again today!

On 4/29/2017 at 10:07 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Your chicken coop is beautiful!  Mine is falling apart and needs to be replaced...did you build or purchase yours? 

I'm also super impressed with your garden - your hard work really shows!

I built the chicken coop six years ago.  It was my first real wood working project, and I've learned so much since then!  (not sure I want to admit it, but I was scared of driving screws with a drill.  Every one was hand-turned.  I can't imagine how I ever had the patience or pig-headedness to do that)  After your beautiful workout room palace, you and the gunslinger could probably put together a new coop in no time!  Bet it would be a beauty.  Thanks for the garden complement, too.  Hard work is never so enjoyable as outside in the yard!  

On 4/30/2017 at 8:19 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Ooo, beautiful! We are going to build a bed for strawberries either later this year or next, with plans to have it be covered in some kind of chicken wire deal. Do you have problems with birds and critters eating yours or no?

Strawberries are the best! They are the single most garden food that my family eats and enjoys.  You are smart to plan for the bed.  I neglect them a lot, and have bigger problems with weeds than I should.  They're perennial, but it's so hard to care about them except for the month or so that they are blooming and producing.  I do fence with chicken wire (because, yeah...chickens scratch them up like crazy) but I don't cover them anymore.  I used to use bird netting when my patch was smaller, but it was a lot of fuss.  And now that I have more strawberries then I need, I don't mind sharing with the birds too much.  My blueberries are another story...they are caged because the bushes are small, and I don't have enough to share yet.

I had a good week, but not much time for a wrap up.  The biggest news was restaurant planning.  I went 3/4 this week.  Yay!

Oh, and pansies on my back porch make me happy.

SKZYJeQm.jpg

• Like 6

Technically, I'm not perfect yet today.  I need to make up a strength workout this afternoon.  But I tracked two days in a row, so I'm feeling on top of things!  And if I take my garden prize, I will feel even more obligated to do my push ups after work.

Snowball bushes!  Enjoy them while they last because...yeah, we call them snowball bushes for a reason.  Family tradition.  Snowball fights in May!!!

dXZ02jzl.jpg

• Like 4

Wow, that chicken coop looks professional, I never would have guessed it's your first wood project!

Your garden pictures have inspired me so much that I bought pots and soil at costco yesterday (both costco-sized) and am planning some planting adventures this weekend!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Wow, that chicken coop looks professional, I never would have guessed it's your first wood project!

Your garden pictures have inspired me so much that I bought pots and soil at costco yesterday (both costco-sized) and am planning some planting adventures this weekend!

I didn't even think about costco as a gardening supply source! I have a membership that I got just for stuff for my DIY december wedding, but now I think I need to go there when I get the few bags of soil I need for pumpkin mounds. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I didn't even think about costco as a gardening supply source! I have a membership that I got just for stuff for my DIY december wedding, but now I think I need to go there when I get the few bags of soil I need for pumpkin mounds. 

I knew that they had big pots, but I didn't know that they had soil until I was picking up the pots. The bags I saw were 55 quarts for 9-10 dollars depending on type of soil. Bonus, carrying the bags counts as a workout :P Last year I purchased a few of their hanging baskets and they did pretty well too. Using them for wedding stuff is brilliant! 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 8:40 PM, Suzaqu said:

Costco sized is the best when it comes to planting!  Hope your containers faired well over the weekend.  We had frost last night.  Ugh!

On 5/5/2017 at 9:45 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Pumpkins are the best!  Do you grow them for eating or decorating?

Weekly Check-in today.

The weekend was really rough, so I'm feeling yuck right now.  As always, I'm glad to start fresh again on Monday.  It's always better to look forward than back.

1 Eating. Restaurant planning.  2/5.  Did GREAT on Friday.  I planned ahead of May Fair (carnival) at the kid's school.  I ate at home and planned for one treat at May Fair.  Totally worth it.  Did MEDIUM on Saturday.  I knew it would be a tough day because the scouts went to Knoebels (amusement park).  I didn't pig out, but I didn't pack my own healthier foods either.  Did POORLY on Sunday.  It was an ordinary day, so I should have recovered...but still managed to overdo at dinner time for no particular reason.  Ugh.

2 Eating:  Roll-the-dice tracking.  2/2.  This went really well.  I think I will keep this goal for the near future.  I like having a few days of especially careful eating.  Calories were on track.  Still pretty heavy on the carbs.

3 Workouts. Switcharoo for 5k training.  5/6.  I missed the weekend workout which I knew would be the hardest part of this goal.  I even had time on Sunday.  Just didn't do it.  But...my last three runs came in under 12 minute miles (phew!) and I added a quarter mile to my route because I get it done faster.  Fastest pace so far is 11:42 which is still slow by most standards, but progress for me :) 

4 Family Goal:  Fruit with breakfast.  5/5.  This is all good.  Sometimes the kids don't quite eat the fruit, but this is about me making the extra effort to provide it.  It is becoming a habit which is what I'm going for here.

I think I can claim one prize yet...for Friday.  So I will brag about a gardening task.  I pruned the lilac next to my house Ranger-style.  With a chainsaw!  I always feel a little more Ranger-like when I'm using power tools.  It's all about the confidence!!!

• Like 4

wow how did i miss your thread?! such fun reading through and seeing your garden photos!! I only have a small space in a garden, but im next to a river which makes up for it a bit. I love to garden, got it from my mum!

Here is a little photos of my area....

small1.jpg

smaller.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Salinger said:

wow how did i miss your thread?! such fun reading through and seeing your garden photos!! I only have a small space in a garden, but im next to a river which makes up for it a bit. I love to garden, got it from my mum!

Here is a little photos of my area....

small1.jpg

smaller.jpg

Your plantings look lovely!  My mom was a big gardener, too.  It's funny that I never really noticed too much when I was a kid, but she must have sneaked the love of dirt into me somehow.  Now it's a big part of what makes me happy.  It must be lovely living next to a river.  My husband and I talk about adding some water someday...a small goldfish pond or something.  A river sounds perfect!

I'm checking in with a good day to start the week.  Fruit for breakfast, and a good workout.  I even got extra steps in the evening...up to 15,000 for the day.  I'm gonna post a sad photo, though.  Chickens are a big part of my garden...and my life in rural Pennsylvania.  One has been feeling sick lately and passed away this morning.  So, in fond memory of Mrs. Silver, here's her photo.  She was three years old, and it's sad to see her pass.

cmQ98axm.jpg

• Like 7

Yes i was never interested when i was younger either but definitely must have got something from it!

Oh im so sorry about Mrs Silver, she is a beauty. How old do chickens tend to live normally? x

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about Mrs Silver!  

Your gardens are lovely and I envy you that lush green outdoors space.  Gardening in a desert isn't quite the same...  

You are doing great this challenge. I love to see your success!!! 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 6:44 AM, suzyQlou said:

runed the lilac next to my house Ranger-style.  With a chainsaw!  I always feel a little more Ranger-like when I'm using power tools.  It's all about the confidence!!!

Very Bad-ass Ranger!

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 9:44 AM, suzyQlou said:

Costco sized is the best when it comes to planting!  Hope your containers faired well over the weekend.  We had frost last night.  Ugh!

Ours made it through well, thankfully. The plants seem happy in their new homes :) I'm sorry to hear about Mrs. Silver, I hope your week is looking up.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2017 at 9:10 AM, Salinger said:

Yes i was never interested when i was younger either but definitely must have got something from it!

Oh im so sorry about Mrs Silver, she is a beauty. How old do chickens tend to live normally? x

Thanks for your kind thoughts about Mrs. Silver.  I have heard chickens can live around 10 years.  Mine have not been so lucky.  My oldest hen is four years old, but the flock has changed over time.  Chicks replace older hens that pass away, so at least there is something to look forward to.  Who doesn't love fluffy chicks!. 

On 5/9/2017 at 0:43 PM, Terra said:

Sorry to hear about Mrs Silver!  

Your gardens are lovely and I envy you that lush green outdoors space.  Gardening in a desert isn't quite the same...  

You are doing great this challenge. I love to see your success!!! 

Green is really nice!  Desert gardening has its own beauty, though.  I know you are up in the mountains, so I'm sure it's different.  But, I remember visiting the botanical gardens in Pheonix many years ago.  I was blown away by the beauty that can come from the desert.  Different, but amazing nonetheless.

On 5/9/2017 at 1:26 PM, Elastigirl said:

Very Bad-ass Ranger!

Thank you for saying so :) There really is a kind of confidence that has grown out of identifying as a NF Rebel and Ranger.  Nothing is impossible, if you look at it right!

12 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Ours made it through well, thankfully. The plants seem happy in their new homes :) I'm sorry to hear about Mrs. Silver, I hope your week is looking up.

Glad to hear your plants survived the cold.  I only lost a few things to the frost, and I knew I was taking a chance on them.  I started some things from seed WAY too early, and I really needed to get them out of their tiny pots.  Thanks for your nice thoughts about Mrs. Silver.  My week is indeed looking up!

I am calling a Tuesday a sick day with full plague protocals.  Sleep really helped.  And the plus side of being sick is that the scale cooperated.  I'm celebrating two days of being overweight (which is to say, the scale budged down below the obese category based on BMI).  I have celebrated this before, so I'm not going to go too wild.  Now I've lost 4 of the 10 pounds I gained since slacking off on my NF challenges last fall.  It's a journey!

I also rolled the dice for a day of mfp tracking yesterday, and was right on target with my numbers.  And, I'm back on target with strength workouts after missing two in a row.

So, in celebration, here's the first strawberry of the year.  The real season will be around Memorial Day, but there's a micro-climate near my house.  A few strawberry plants have migrated over there, and I love having them in unexpected places.  This one grows in the midst of some butterfly weed.  Yum!

oWlSGeXm.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

Green is really nice!  Desert gardening has its own beauty, though.  I know you are up in the mountains, so I'm sure it's different.  But, I remember visiting the botanical gardens in Pheonix many years ago.  I was blown away by the beauty that can come from the desert.  Different, but amazing nonetheless.

High mountain desert gardening does have challenges!!!  I am hopeful that we can make some progress this year that feeds into a long term plan...   I am hoping to get some new stuff planted in the front yard this weekend as well as my veggies out in the raised beds with wall-o-waters around everything!  

Wahoo for progress and strawberries!  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Congrats on the strawberries and weight loss! That's crazy how much temp etc can vary across a yard! I hope you keep on feeling better!

My herb bed is right up against the house and I was surprised to find my parsley lived through the winter, in the Northern US! (I do know it is a biennial but I was still surprised.)

With that surprise success, I am going to try to overwinter a somewhat cold hardy Rosemary as my next adventure. 

• Like 2

I'm finally getting caught up...or trying to get caught up... I'm glad to hear your week is looking up! The first strawberry is super exciting. I love going strawberry picking and have fond memories of canning strawberry jam with my grandma when I was little. 

Have you see the documentary Chicken People? It is so good, I loved it!!! I imagine that you would love it even more if you have your own chickens. Right now it's a $.99 rental on itunes. Highly recommended. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2017 at 11:27 AM, Elastigirl said:

Congrats on the weight loss! And early strawberries! We are just now getting flowers on ours.

Thanks.  Strawberry flowers bring such promise!

On 5/11/2017 at 0:06 PM, Terra said:

High mountain desert gardening does have challenges!!!  I am hopeful that we can make some progress this year that feeds into a long term plan...   I am hoping to get some new stuff planted in the front yard this weekend as well as my veggies out in the raised beds with wall-o-waters around everything!  

Wahoo for progress and strawberries!  

Wall-o-waters are super cool.  I am always learning new things from you, Terra.  I will have to tuck that idea in my back pocket :) 

On 5/11/2017 at 0:12 PM, Salinger said:

Congrats on the weight loss & the strawberries! x

Thanks!

On 5/11/2017 at 8:26 PM, Suzaqu said:

Congrats on the strawberries and weight loss! That's crazy how much temp etc can vary across a yard! I hope you keep on feeling better!

Thanks, and yeah.  Weather is so weird in my yard.  I am in zone 6B, but I've recently realized how fluid that designation is.  I can grow stuff that's technically not supposed to grow here...and some things that are supposed to grow here just don't thrive at all.

On 5/12/2017 at 9:31 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

My herb bed is right up against the house and I was surprised to find my parsley lived through the winter, in the Northern US! (I do know it is a biennial but I was still surprised.)

With that surprise success, I am going to try to overwinter a somewhat cold hardy Rosemary as my next adventure. 

I betcha rosemary makes it!  More success to come.

On 5/12/2017 at 6:44 PM, honeybadger said:

I'm finally getting caught up...or trying to get caught up... I'm glad to hear your week is looking up! The first strawberry is super exciting. I love going strawberry picking and have fond memories of canning strawberry jam with my grandma when I was little. 

Have you see the documentary Chicken People? It is so good, I loved it!!! I imagine that you would love it even more if you have your own chickens. Right now it's a $.99 rental on itunes. Highly recommended. 

Strawberry memories are the best.  My grandmother died when I was in grade school, so I don't have too many memories of her.  But I DO remember sitting on her windowsill eating fresh strawberries while she cooked.  Her garden was amazing!  I will have to look into the Chicken People documentary...trailer looks fun!

Wrap up for last week is really late.  4) Fruit is good.  That's been the easiest since I just have to provide the fruit at breakfast without the kids actually eating it.  3) Workouts are suffering from a sore ankle, but are generally getting done in a modified sort of way.  2) Tracking is on-track at the roll of the dice.  I even tracked on Mother's Day since I rolled a "1".  However, tracking is not the same as making good food choices.  Don't ask about those Mother's Day numbers!  3)  Restaurant eating continues to be a struggle.  Technically, I'm scoring the week at 3/5.  I find myself at kid-friendly places, too often, though.  Even when I make the best choices, they aren't really very healthy.

Monday-Wednesday is looking good so far, so I will treat myself to a garden photo.  Here is one of my wildflower patches.  This one is mostly wild phlox right now.  It smells really nice when I walk by!

dgIMWZAl.jpg

• Like 5

beautiful! You are so lucky, one day i hope to own my own place with a bigger garden :)

Thanks for being around, its a lovely distraction to read about your plants and stuff x

• Like 1