• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

John Prester

John Prester - 1st Challenge

For my first 4-week challenge, I got some ideas from the posted suggestions, and added a couple of my own.

Diet

1. Replace one sugary coffee drink per day with black coffee or tea.
  2. Replace beer/wine at mealtime with sparkling water.

Exercise

1. Get off the train one stop early and walk the rest of the way to work/home. (5x times/week)

Level up

1. Remove one piece of clutter from my home each day.
  • Like 3

Hi John!  This is my first four-week challenge as well so it's nice to see a new comrade! :-)  I think you've picked some really good goals there... They look very 'SMART'!  :-)

• Like 1

Love your goals! Don't forget to pop around and visit other threads too. Building yourself a network for accountability really helps.

Thanks, fleaball!

I'm not much for social media, so I would consider this a habit change in itself. I'll get around to the other areas, but for now, baby steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, John Prester said:

Thanks, fleaball!

I'm not much for social media, so I would consider this a habit change in itself. I'll get around to the other areas, but for now, baby steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That works too. :) just know we're here if you need us then.

• Like 2

Woop for a first challenge! 

Those are some really good goals! (though I don't know how you can stand sparkling water :P) Do you have any rewards or accountability for it?

Picking some people to follow does help, but you want to pick 2 or less to really interact with, and slowly develop from there.

How's Week 1 been going so far? Learnt anything already?

• Like 1

After nearly one week, here is my progress:

Diet

• Replace one sugary coffee drink per day with black coffee or tea.
    • This went just fine. Am now only drinking coffee with cream and sugar once a day, where before it was several. Have replaced all others with black/green tea with nothing in it. Next step will be to eliminate the remaining one, and this might happen before the end of the four weeks.
  • Replace beer/wine at mealtime with sparkling water.
    • This one was mostly successful. I say mostly because I did sub alcohol at all dinnertimes, but found on a couple of nights I had an extra "unwinding" drink after work. I might need to adjust this to simply, "No alcohol."

Exercise

• Get off the train one stop early and walk the rest of the way to work/home. (5x times/week)
    • Did this every day this week, and really enjoyed it. It was a nice little buffer between crowded trains and busy work, having a nice 10 minute walk to adjust my mindset.

Level up

• Remove one piece of clutter from my home each day.
    • I did this every day, but with unintended side effects. I would find several pieces of clutter to be removed, and instead of removing them all at once, I would "save" one for tomorrow, which meant removing the clutter perhaps a little more slowly than I would have otherwise. This goal might need to be adjusted somehow as well.

All in all, a fairly successful week, with some unexpected results.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, John Prester said:

Replace beer/wine at mealtime with sparkling water.

• This one was mostly successful. I say mostly because I did sub alcohol at all dinnertimes, but found on a couple of nights I had an extra "unwinding" drink after work. I might need to adjust this to simply, "No alcohol."

I struggle with these extra calories, too. I love local beer, and it is a huge part of my social life (many of my friends are bartenders or work at breweries.) I found that limiting myself caused more stress. Instead I limited my carbs w/ a macro diet and that has been helping me make better decisions.

You are off to an awesome start!

• Like 1

The 4 weeks are almost over, and I haven't been posting updates every week like I've hoped. I have, however, been continuing to pursue my goals.

Diet

• Replace one sugary coffee drink per day with black coffee or tea.
    • This is continuing to go well. I am still at only one sugary coffee per day, and on some days have even managed to drink only black coffee.
  • Replace beer/wine at mealtime with sparkling water.
    • Again, still "mostly successful." Had a couple slips when work events led into dinner and drinks, but for the most part, have been avoiding wine/beer with my dinner. But cinco de mayo dinner and beer at work, followed the next week by beer/pizza/poker night were the slips.

Exercise

• Get off the train one stop early and walk the rest of the way to work/home. (5x times/week)
    • This is now a regular habit. I cannot imagine getting off at my "regular" stop, and now consider the one before my office to be my regular stop.

Level up

• Remove one piece of clutter from my home each day.
    • Because I was "saving" pieces of clutter, I adjusted this one a little. Instead of one a day, I have spent the past 2 Saturdays doing major purges. First, I cleared two entire closets. Then, last weekend I purged a lot of my books. (And I mean a lot.) I have reduced my library to one bookcase, and subdivided into "Books I cannot live without" and "Books I will read soon that I'd rather not pay to replace." Overall, I have removed far more than 28 pieces of clutter from my home, but I just haven't been doing one every day.

All in all, a fairly successful challenge so far, with a couple of slips, and a change mid-stream.

• Like 2