• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

weedy

Weedy's First Challenge!

Okay, here goes...

I'm starting small(ish) for my first challenge so that I've got more chance of succeeding, building some confidence and getting on a roll!  So here goes...

DIET

- Eat fish or shellfish twice a week for the next four weeks 

- Drink 2 litres of water for at least 23 days of the next four weeks

(My diet is pretty good as I already basically follow the Paleo way)

FITNESS

- Walk every day (5 minutes)

LEVEL UP

- Pick a dress sewing pattern

• Like 3

13 hours ago, WantMy$2 said:

Good luck Weedy!

Thank you WantMy£2 (can't find my dollar sign...!!)!  I'm feeling pretty good so far... I have already eaten tuna, am getting through the water and have gone for a five-minute walk! :-)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tiller said:

I'd love to see what sewing pattern you pick.  I like to make things too.

Cool!  What kind of things do you make...?  I am pretty crafty but making clothes is just a bit outside my skill set and comfort zone!  I've been getting a sewing magazine for a bit and they usually have a free pattern in them.  I'm hoping one of those might inspire me as they're usually rated as 'beginner', 'advanced beginner' or 'intermediate'... It definitely has to be a dress because they scare me the most (the first dress I tried, several years ago, was a complete failure and I never tried again after that...!)!!  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, weedy said:

Cool!  What kind of things do you make...?  I am pretty crafty but making clothes is just a bit outside my skill set and comfort zone!  I've been getting a sewing magazine for a bit and they usually have a free pattern in them.  I'm hoping one of those might inspire me as they're usually rated as 'beginner', 'advanced beginner' or 'intermediate'... It definitely has to be a dress because they scare me the most (the first dress I tried, several years ago, was a complete failure and I never tried again after that...!)!!  

I like to read reviews of sewing patterns before deciding which one to make - just google the pattern number and you'll find forum reviews, or (even better) reviews on sewing blogs.  

I mostly knit socks, as they're easy to pick and put down, but if I have a chunk of time I like making clothes for the kids, and quilts, and sometimes clothes for me.

• Like 1

That's very cool that you have made all those kinds of clothes!  I can knit, embroider, tapestry, various paper crafts, and have made many, many presents on my trusty sewing machine but sewing clothes as always escaped me... Until now (she hopes)!

I will definitely google the reviews!  Thanks for the advice... I'd never thought of that!  I just want to make sure my first pick is something that builds my confidence and sets me off in the right direction, whilst still being something I actually want to wear...!!

• Like 2

Day One report...

So recruits, army base camp is treating me well so far!!

Today, I have...

- Eat fish or shellfish twice a week for the next four weeks - DONE (one portion)

- Drink 2 litres of water for at least 23 days of the next four weeks - DONE

- Walk every day (5 minutes) - DONE (plus an hour's walk with the dogs and a half hour walk to a friend's and back so definitely done... Can I carry the time over for the rest of the week - asks innocently and optimistically whilst already knowing the answer!!)

- Pick a dress sewing pattern - DONE (I'm going to try sewing a Colour Block Tunic!  It will look great for work and the pattern promises 'beginner' so I'm hoping it's not lying...!!)

Whoop whoop!  Day one... Girl is on a roll! :-)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tiller said:

Love the sound of the colour block tunic.  I am nosy - please let me see your fabric choices!

I bought them today! :-)  Just going for black, white and purple.  Going to be classic and hopefully very straight-forward!  I'll save my artistic creativity when I have some idea of how to do it...!  Saying that, I'm game for changing the pattern to better fit my body shape, which might be challenging...!

• Like 1

Day two...

- Eat fish or shellfish twice a week for the next four weeks - COMPLETED FOR THIS WEEK (two portions eaten!) 2/8

- Drink 2 litres of water for at least 23 days of the next four weeks - DONE AGAIN! 2/28

- Walk every day (5 minutes) - DONE AGAIN (had to do today's on the treadmill in the gym as I had my daughter for the rest of the day and her legs are too little to walk with any degree of pace!) 2/28

- Pick a dress sewing pattern - DONE 1/1(!)

I'm still feeling really positive and it feels like these steps are the beginnings of lasting changes!  It feels great to be doing something constructive for me (and therefore my family, my relationships, my life in general, etc. etc.)!

• Like 2

Do you know about Pattern Review? It's a really handy website where people who've made a pattern post a review and often pictures. I find it especially helpful for seeing how something might look on a figure similar to mine.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Severine said:

Do you know about Pattern Review? It's a really handy website where people who've made a pattern post a review and often pictures. I find it especially helpful for seeing how something might look on a figure similar to mine.

Wow, thank you Severine!  I'd never heard of it but it looks amazing!  I'm learning so much about sewing from NF and I haven't even started cutting the pattern pieces out yet...! I like this place! :-)

• Like 3

Day three...

- Eat fish or shellfish twice a week for the next four weeks - COMPLETED FOR THIS WEEK (two portions eaten!) 2/8

- Drink 2 litres of water for at least 23 days of the next four weeks - DONE AGAIN! 3/28

- Walk every day (5 minutes) - DONE AGAIN (I took the dogs for an hour's walk) 3/28

- Pick a dress sewing pattern - DONE 1/1(I ordered the material for my sewing pattern today so I'm now further along that I had planned for in this challenge... One step closer to my finished dress!)

This day was a little more automatic than previous ones.  It's like the water and the walking are starting to become ingrained in my brain somehow.  I slept badly last night so I'm really pleased I still managed to tick them off.  Just keeping plugging away!

• Like 3

Day four...

- Drink 2 litres of water for at least 23 days of the next four weeks - DONE AGAIN! 4/28

- Walk every day (5 minutes) - DIDN'T DO THIS ONE TODAY 3/28

- Pick a dress sewing pattern - DONE 1/1(I ordered the material for my sewing pattern today so I'm now further along that I had planned for in this challenge... One step closer to my finished dress!)

So... My first knocked-down hurdle.  I didn't do my five-minute walk today.  I don't think I quite need to respawn(!) but I am aware that I have set the bar pretty high on this one with 100% success expected... I feel like I've failed because I missed that one walk.  Aiming for perfection (28 days out of 28) is not a productive thing for me.  I will need to take that info forward for my next challenges... Aiming for 'good enough' is good enough!

• Like 3

So days five and six...

- Eat fish and shellfish twice a week - DONE FOR THIS WEEK 2/8

- Pick a dress sewing pattern - DONE (also now bought the material... I might start sewing next challenge :-) ) 1/1

- Drink 2 litres of water - DONE 6/28

- Walk every day (5 minutes) - DONE 5/28

Not too bad.  Still feeling a tad disappointed I missed a day of the walking.  But trying to reasonable with my lofty expectations...!

• Like 3

Hi Fleaball!

Thanks so much for chasing me up!  I think I'm starting to realise just how much of a perfectionist attitude I have... Just missing that one walk on the 26th has just left me feeling completely defeated and like there's no point.  I really need to try to find a more realistic attitude, otherwise I'm going to continually give up before I've even started!

So, as of now, I have...

- Eat fish and shellfish twice a week - 3/8

- Pick a dress sewing pattern - 1/1

- Drink 2 litres of water - 10/23

- Walk every day (5 minutes) - DONE 5/28

The eating and drinking(!) are going pretty well.  I didn't hit my water target twice last week but it was only a cup or two short.  And I've planned fish twice this week (eaten once, second portion on Saturday!).  It's the walking... The bloomin' walking.  I think I need to be more realistic with my goals.  If I'd put walk for 24 out of 28 days, it would have given me a little wiggle room to not make my target but still have a goal to fight for... It's all good learning!

• Like 1