Manarelle centers herself

Manarelle

Breathe in, breathe out. What needs done today?

• At least once a week, do crocodile breathing.  
  • Note 1-2 tasks every day on the daily to-do list. Do them.

That's it. Work, workouts, parkour, language practice, and the job hunt are all continuing. I will not let any of it stress me out: I will adapt, breathe, remain calm, and continue to kick tail. Sounds simple, no? 

• Like 2

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

And now the wordier, parkour update. 401(k) was more breath and core work, plus superman rolls (much more slowly and controlled). We also started, but did not complete, Turkish get-ups, and did some yoga stuff for the hips. White band class was walls work, focusing on wall runs, tic tacs, and (by request), a bit of fun on the warp wall. Found out that our warp wall is higher and more curved back than the one on American Ninja Warrior. That will probably never matter in my life, but fun thing to know. I can get decently high, but I was more having fun than trying to top out. I worked a bit more on my own on rail squats to QM, then was cajoled, coerced, and bullied into staying for veggies class (or chose to, whatever). Unfortunately, my shoulder still doesn't like QMs, so I stretched while everyone else did two laps of QMs, then we worked on precision jumps for a bit. The last thing we did was work on rolls: the teacher had us stand in the center of a very large mat, and would push us in any direction - we had to do a forward or backward roll in that direction, to get used to failing any which way. I may have forgotten something, because that doesn't seem like much when I write it down, but it was a solid 3 hours of work. 

I'm finally starting to feel confident in my abilities to do random parkour stuff. Since a big part of parkour is getting over mental blocks, I'm glad to finally make progress there. Still lots of physical improvements to make, but here's to the brain getting in the way less. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Liam Learns to Live said:

uh... don't have kids... I'm actually taking a class because I'm an overgrown child.

Heh, yeah, I'm amazed at how many adults (often wearing workout clothes) will sit on the sidelines and watch the adults do parkour while their kids are there. There are a couple who join us but... you're obviously not doing anything, why not use this time to improve yourself? Eh. To each their own. 

Did the class not work out for you? It's only awkward if you let it be.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Liam Learns to Live said:

Oh yeah, I don't have a problem with the awkwardness, and it was really fun, but it was like $100/month and I just couldn't swing it.

Thankfully, the place I go to has a punch system - you buy a "punchcard" for 10 visits and use as often or rarely as you like. I can $16 (plus tolls) once a week, definitely couldn't swing $140/month. I'd love to go more than once a week, but the almighty dollar says no. 

Following for your centering.

I forget what is Crocodile breathing?

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

17 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I forget what is Crocodile breathing?

This is a decent explanation. It's just retraining your body to breathe with the diaphragm instead of up into the shoulders/chest. I'm a little hazy on why that's good, but it does make you pay more attention to your stomach, those muscles, your posture, etc etc etc. I've been working for years to "flatten my stomach" and 5 weeks of focus on breath has done more to improve my profile (and posture) than all that time combined.

9 hours ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

This phrase should go on those inspirational posters. There are so many times I see people who could do such small things to make big improvements, but don't. 

My gentleman would argue that it can be overdone, but I agree - if the opportunity is there and you have the time/money/ability, why not do it? 

• Like 1

Week 1:

• Breathing: Done Thursday. 
  • Daily tasks: 6 out of 7 tasks done this week. 

It still seems a bit cheating to have such boring challenges, but it really is helping me. I'd like to do the breathing a little earlier next week, but I did remember to do it. The tasks are working out, and actually very useful for planning the evenings, getting things done, and reminding myself I'm not as lazy as I think. Gardening messed up the workout schedule a bit this week but I was able to recover, and the garden is looking quite good. 

Parkour update:

401(k) parkour was (still) more breathing and core work. We also kept working on turkish get-ups (TGUs), and I realized I'm pretty comfortable with stopping at any point in the movement, even mid-weight-shift or leg-swing. Core work is starting to pay off. We'll see if I say that once we add more weight. :)

White band was rails week. After warm-up (laps and precision jumps), we set up a bunch of rail trainers in a jumble and spent some time just getting used to just being on them. Walking, jumping, crouching, standing still - just spending time on top of rails. Sounds easy, but your legs, ankles, and feet get tired fast. Next we worked on overhead rails - shimmy, monkey, and sloth traverses, and half and full scap pulls (I didn't realize that pulling the scaps in was the next step, I just thought it was up & down). My right shoulder is still a weak point for overhead stuff, so that's as far as I could go. 

Decided to stay for veggies, and it was, oddly, just two adults (usually it's a few adults and a bunch of kids, very strange to have no kids). After stretching and more laps, we did a partner switch-off, one person doing cat hang pull-ups (but with feet together, not one below the other), the other doing rail flow (move among the rails gracefully). Switch when the person doing cat-hangs can't anymore. Quick break, more laps. Did a bit of work with basic parkour rolls, then ended with the first stages of a kick-up: make sure you can actually do a back bridge, then practice rolling back onto your shoulders and kicking up into a back bridge. I got that far, but my arms tell my brain "you want us to push what, where now?" and don't contribute much power yet. Still, it was a lot of fun and we got to play around on the big mats, so yay! 

Independent of class, I've been trying to make more use of obstacles when going to and from water breaks, class starts/ends, or just moving around during breaks. I'm certainly not high-flying yet, but I realized that my last break of the day went from class area -> over a rail -> under another rail -> water -> over a rail -> over a tire -> over a 4' vault box -> plyo jump onto a 2' box -> class area (at a walking pace). I love that they encourage people to break routine.

• Like 5

On 4/29/2017 at 4:34 PM, Manarelle said:

Independent of class, I've been trying to make more use of obstacles when going to and from water breaks, class starts/ends, or just moving around during breaks. I'm certainly not high-flying yet, but I realized that my last break of the day went from class area -> over a rail -> under another rail -> water -> over a rail -> over a tire -> over a 4' vault box -> plyo jump onto a 2' box -> class area (at a walking pace). I love that they encourage people to break routine.

AWESOME.

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

Week 2:

• Crocodile breathing: completely forgot about this. 
  • Daily tasks: 7/8 complete. 

401(k) was again, core and stability work, foam and fascia rolling, and Russian and farmers carries. It was rather painfully pointed out to me that I've been concentrating too much on rotator cuff stabilizers and not the large power muscles (biceps, triceps, delts, etc). Will be tweaking my weights routing to fix that this week.

White band was easy, safety, reverse safety, and full reverse vaults, then doing an easy vault over rails followed by a small area traverse (coming out of the easy vault, stick your back leg through the next set of rails and clear it with your upper body, then step out of the rails area). Also did a different style of reverse vault wherein you essentially slingshot your body around one hand on the rail.... backwards. It was extremely awkward, but an interesting exercise. 

Veggies started with 20 box steps, 10 dips, 5 pushups and one lap around the gym - AMRAP in 15 minutes. We then worked on bails for when you miss an elevated precision jump and fall backwards, and finished off with kip-up work. It all sounds so easy when I type it out, but that was a very tiring 3 hours. 

Been a weird week. Got stuff done, but pre-shark week hormones, cold, dreary weather, and a couple setbacks have me in an odd mood. 

• Like 5

On 4/27/2017 at 2:04 PM, Manarelle said:

This is a decent explanation. It's just retraining your body to breathe with the diaphragm instead of up into the shoulders/chest. I'm a little hazy on why that's good, but it does make you pay more attention to your stomach, those muscles, your posture, etc etc etc. I've been working for years to "flatten my stomach" and 5 weeks of focus on breath has done more to improve my profile (and posture) than all that time combined.

My gentleman would argue that it can be overdone, but I agree - if the opportunity is there and you have the time/money/ability, why not do it? 

I had never heard of crocodile breathing, but any excuse to lie on the floor is my friend. Thanks for the link!

• Like 2

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

Week 3:

• Breathing: Done Tuesday. 
  • Daily tasks: 8 out of 8 tasks done this week. 

Productive week. I think I'm getting the hang of this free time thing, with only 3 weeks to go before the last class starts. I feel much calmer and more self-assured, which I hope will help with the career change, if it ever happens - no progress on the job front. :/ However, work is going well, workouts are going well, and I feel pretty good, overall. Even got some sewing work done this week, after 2 years of neglecting my last sewing project.

401(k) parkour was brutal this week. We did breathing, shoulder mobility, and hip mobility exercises, which wasn't too bad. Then we did handstand drills, walking back bridges, and balancing QMs (quadrupedal movement while balancing a staff across your back - note how the guy's back in the video twists while he moves, it wouldn't balance for long). I literally had sweat dripping into my eyes at the end of that.

But no rest for the wicked (insane?), white band parkour was working on wall stalls, cat leaps, cat leaps to topout (which I can't do yet but am getting better at), then down to the mats to work on basic parkour rolls and something new. The teacher called it a flat roll, which I can't find any images or videos of online. In effect, lay on your back, arms out in a T. Tilt your head to one side, and, keeping your arms in a T on the ground, bring your legs then body up and over your shoulders, taking the weight on the shoulder your head is tilted away from, to switch over to lying on your front. Tilt your head again, inch your feet up to get your body and hips up over your shoulders again, and flip back over to your back, again taking the weight on the shoulder your head is tilted away from. Sounds hard? It is. And really weird. 

Veggies class was a lot of legwork. We did 16 minutes of AMRAPs with: 10 precision jumps in place (jump and land on the same trainer), 10 jumping jacks, 10 squats, 10 calf raises, 1 lap. We then did more work on parkour rolls and dive rolls, and ended class with kip-up practice. I can reliably kip-up into a back bridge, but I'm just not getting the extra momentum to get to standing yet. It'll come.

• Like 3

On 5/14/2017 at 2:26 PM, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

Way to go! What kind of sewing are you doing? 

I'm making a version of the Matrix coat with no sleeves and a large, Sith-y hood. Working on handsewing the armholes right now, then will attach the hood and figure out what sort of closures to use and be done. Very much looking forward to being done. I'm waffling on starting work clothes next or doing jedi garb for myself so we can cosplay together. 

• Like 2

Since parkour is not going to happen this week, due to illness, I'm closing this up early. Week 4:

• Breathing: Done Tuesday. 
  • Daily tasks: 6 out of 6 tasks done this week.

The breathing has been very helpful, and setting (and reaching) daily tasks will continue, whether or not it's tracked in the future. My final class starts mid-next challenge, and I'm not sure how intense it will be (cross your fingers that it's not), so the next challenge might be very light. In the meantime, I'm calling this one a success due to useful time-management skills. 

• Like 3

On 5/17/2017 at 10:25 AM, Manarelle said:

I'm making a version of the Matrix coat with no sleeves and a large, Sith-y hood. Working on handsewing the armholes right now, then will attach the hood and figure out what sort of closures to use and be done. Very much looking forward to being done. I'm waffling on starting work clothes next or doing jedi garb for myself so we can cosplay together. 

This sounds AWESOME. I want pictures! 

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog