• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Endor

C.R.A.P. [Endor]

Endor   

151013_TSF_FbPost2_01-8.33.51-pm.png

After a while lurking in the logs I'm back for a challenge. 

Completely nutrition related challenge, I'm going to stop eating CRAP for 4 weeks. 

Goals:

- No carbonated drinks 

- No refined carbohydrates

- No added sugar

- No Processed Foods

This basically puts me back into Paleo which always makes me feel good and gives me more energy. 

I'm expecting a rough first week as the Sugar fairy has me in her power again and the carb monster is at the party too but I've done it before and I can do it again! 

677839f9b4bb289f9e0f5f267a5efa97--funny-

Edit: Damn I thought this challenge would be all nutrition related and nice and easy, then I saw the Ranger mini and a Ranger's gotta Ranger after all. 

Ranger mini goals:

Distance Feat: Walk 100km in this challenge

Speed Feat: Try for a 2K row PR

Recover feat: Sleep or at least stay in bed 8 hours a night during this challenge

Ranger Feat: Finish my first Audible book

Edited by Endor
  • Like 4

Endor   
19 minutes ago, CraftyHeathen said:

Rock on! The sugar fairy and carb monster are evil and always lurking around the corner. Good luck! I am sure you will stay strong!

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Following.

Good to see you again Sloth, thanks for following :) 

• Like 1

Endor   
On 23/04/2017 at 2:40 PM, Elastigirl said:

Looks like a good challenge.

Hellooooo! Long time no see! 

On 23/04/2017 at 10:40 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Welcome back to Challenge land. I'll be following.

Tanks a lot!  :D 

On 23/04/2017 at 11:39 PM, zenLara said:

Good luck!

Fingers crossed! :encouragement:

On 24/04/2017 at 2:55 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Reported for misleading title

:lol: 

On 25/04/2017 at 4:55 AM, wovercast said:

I'm here for the 2k row PR. Please tag me when you post your result. For the record my PR is 6:55.3 :D  Good luck!

Return of the Wover! Good to have you along mate, you're well ahead of me, 7:42 on 30th January. I don't do any specific rowing training, just part of my Crossfit Metcon from time to time so it will just be a reflection of my general fitness. I usually row using number 8 on the dial thingy on the side but accidentally started a WOD this week with it on 9 without noticing......seemed to have a lot more power and my output from each stroke was about 10% higher. Not sure if it was the setting or the fact I was well rested. Don't have much experience with rowing, do you think it would make a difference?

• Like 3

Endor   

Progress:

Sun 23rd - write off

Mon 24th - write off, had to work until 2am to get something finished and then polished off a bottle of red wine :S Did go to the gym though and hit a Deadlift 3RM PR: 3x140kg. Also walked 6km with the dog so 100 - 6 = 94kms to go. 

Tues 25th - Anzac day public holiday where we remember the vets. Did really well all day and then crumbled and Anzac biscuits (like flapjacks), ice cream and whiskey. My wife cooked an amazing Roast Beef lunch with A-grade roast potatoes nom nom

Weds 26th

PT - 1 hour

Strength 1 - EMOM - 7 rounds/14mins

- GHD x 7

- Ring Hold 20 secs

Strength 2 - 5 rounds

Superset

Powerclean x1 - 40/50/60/70/80kg

Squat Clean x1 - 40/50/60/70/80kg 

4 x Underhand pullup 

80 is still a heavy clean for me but I know I can hit it now. 

Metcon

5 rounds, 20 Minute Cap

Dumbbell Snatch 17.5kg x 20 (5 each arm+5+5+5)

AirDyne (bike) x 15 cals

Burpees x 10 

Got 18 mins 32secs

Pretty big session, still not feeling 100% after the cold I've had the last few weeks but pleased with the outcome of that Metcon, it's a lot of volume. 

I'm sort of calling today my start day and got my food planned out so hopefully will be a successful start....

• Like 3

On 4/25/2017 at 6:02 PM, Endor said:

Return of the Wover! Good to have you along mate, you're well ahead of me, 7:42 on 30th January. I don't do any specific rowing training, just part of my Crossfit Metcon from time to time so it will just be a reflection of my general fitness. I usually row using number 8 on the dial thingy on the side but accidentally started a WOD this week with it on 9 without noticing......seemed to have a lot more power and my output from each stroke was about 10% higher. Not sure if it was the setting or the fact I was well rested. Don't have much experience with rowing, do you think it would make a difference?

I highly recommend reading this article...

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/damper-setting-101

And this one...

http://ifailedfran.com/why-you-shouldnt-set-your-rower-to-10/

I typically row at a DF of 125 which corresponds to damper setting between 3-6 on most rowers I've used. My stroke rate is usually 20-22 for most training. It goes up to ~30 for 2k time trials or intervals.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Endor   
On 4/27/2017 at 10:53 PM, wovercast said:

I typically row at a DF of 125 which corresponds to damper setting between 3-6 on most rowers I've used. My stroke rate is usually 20-22 for most training. It goes up to ~30 for 2k time trials or intervals.

Hmm interesting. Most of the time I'm rowing for calories against the clock so the goal is to pump out as much effort as quickly as possible. Generally I prefer to push through at max effort or close to it in the fewest strokes possible. In my mind that's efficient.

For a 2K though it might pay off to have a lower damper setting to decrease fatigue over time. 

I never really thought about rowing strategy much before,,,,this'll be interesting, thanks :) 

Endor   

Friday PT:

Back Squat: 5x5 80/85/90/95/100kg

DB Strict Press 5x5 17.5/20/22.5/22.5/22.5

7 Sets:

TTBar x 5

BO DB Row x 5

Metcon: For time

30 x Box Jumps 24"

30 x KB Swings 24kg

20 x Box Jumps 24"

20 x KB Swings 24kg

10 x Box Jumps 24"

10 x KB Swings 24kg

= 6 mins 42 secs

I decided to do an extra session this week, I'm wanting to make some new friends so I did the Barbell class at my Crossfit gym on Saturday morning. I was a bit nervous, I haven't done a class since I trashed my wrist a couple years back. Coach supported me and said it was fine for me to come and that I'd be ok. 

Saturday Barbell Class:

3x5 Hang Snatch

3x5 Squat Overhead Press

1RM Hang Snatch

The squat overhead press is what I called it, has some other special name I can't remember....basically you get into a squat with the bar overhead and then press it while you stay in the squat. Most people really struggle with this, for some reason I have a naturally deep squat and good ankle flexibility, just my genes I guess as I don't do any mobility at all. Anyway it was easy enough for me :) 

1RM Hang Snatch, got to 42.5kg, my previous best was 43kg during the Open recently so I was pleased to be able to reach a similar level again. 

Really enjoyed the class and met some nice people, I'll probably go again next week. 

Sunday:

Walked 6km with the dog

94-6 = 88km to go

• Like 3

Endor   

Week 1 Summary:

- No carbonated drinks 

Had some beers and fizzy water but no soda.

Fail. Had some hot chips and some bread. 

- No added sugar

Fail. Wife brought home chocolate muffins and I ate 2 while I was drunk :P 

- No Processed Foods

Fail. The muffins double whammied me. 

Ranger mini goals:

12km this week, so 88 to go.

...pending

Recover feat: Sleep or at least stay in bed 8 hours a night during this challenge

This has been going well, on track so far. 

I signed up for a free 12 month trial with audible.com which comes with 2 free books. I got this audio book http://www.audible.com.au/pd/Non-fiction/Peak-Audiobook/B01F4D5GZ6 and have 2 chapters from 10 in the bag. Problem is I keep falling asleep when I listen to it :sleeping::hopelessness:

Most likely I'm going to do an alcohol free May, I weighed in at 89kg this morning, way too heavy and it's all down to the booze so I started calorie counting today and going to avoid alcohol in May. 

• Like 2

Endor   
16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The met-con is a ton of work in under seven minutes. Impressive. It sounds like no alcohol will be a two-fer, no booze calories and fewer stupid food choices.

Endor   

Monday: PT 1 Hour

Strength 1

Back Squat

8 x 80kg

6 x 90kg

4 x 100kg

2 x 110kg

All that went really well and the 110 felt easy, coach started moving on to the next exercise and I'm still standing by the rack biting my lip! He asked me what's wrong? I feel good I think maybe we should do a 1RM....ok let's go for it! 

1 x 120kg

1 x 125kg <-- PR :D 

He said wow, that looked comfortable, you have to go for 130! 

1 x 130kg <-- PR :D 

A very very satisfying +8kg PR. Long slow grind and just eaked it out but a good lift is a good lift! Some days you just feel great while you're lifting and you have to go for it! 

Strength 2 

5 sets

8 x Pushup on a basketball

8 x BO DB row with 2 x KB's 16/20/24/24/24kg each

Metcon -  for time, 15 min cap 

42 Wall Balls, 9kg ball

21 Pullups

30 Wall Balls

15 Pullups

18 Wall balls

9 Pullups

Very gassy first round, I hate wall balls. And yes that's 90 wall balls and 45 pullups, i never thought i'd be capable of this kind of volume even if it did kick my a$$! 

Got through it in 14:42 to beat the cap. This was a hard one for me I struggle with the breathing on the wall balls.

Did I mention I got a 130kg Back Squat?! :P:D

• Like 3

Endor   
1 hour ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Not bad for an old man with a whiplashed neck :P

Why ye little whippersnapper ye! 

• Like 2

Endor   

Have had 2 days off the booze and been eating clean, not watching the calories too much for now just focused on no C.R.A.P. I'm starting to notice energy levels picking up already. :positive: 

Played squash tonight against my nemesis, I maintained a sunny disposition and did not let his antics get to me like I usually do. With frustration and gaming from him held at bay I felt relaxed and confident, beat him 3 games to 2 and was extremely smug afterwards :smug: 

I've finally figured out how to return his serve which meant we had a proper game and my fitness came into play a lot more, very satisfying win. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Endor said:

Played squash tonight against my nemesis, I maintained a sunny disposition and did not let his antics get to me like I usually do. With frustration and gaming from him held at bay I felt relaxed and confident, beat him 3 games to 2 and was extremely smug afterwards :smug: 

I've finally figured out how to return his serve which meant we had a proper game and my fitness came into play a lot more, very satisfying win. 

Very nice, I hope he's still mad about losing ;) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Not bad for an old man with a whiplashed neck :P

19 hours ago, Endor said:

Why ye little whippersnapper ye! 

We're reaching Vellner/Fikowski levels here... Can we make #TrashTalkThursday a thing? :P

• Like 1

Endor   
3 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

We're reaching Vellner/Fikowski levels here... Can we make #TrashTalkThursday a thing? :P

Heh heh. Sounds like a plan...

5ab8d78dda64b984639f1eb581d2f44c.jpg

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Very nice, I hope he's still mad about losing ;) 

Thanks! He'll be stewing on it and analysing it for days, takes it all way too seriously! 

• Like 3

Endor   

Week 2 Summary:

- No carbonated drinks 

Had some beers and fizzy water but no soda.

Fail. Had some bread. 

- No added sugar

Fail. Apple pie and ice cream at my friends house

- No Processed Foods

Success.

Ranger mini goals:

10km this week, so 78 to go.

...pending

This has been going well, getting it most nights. 

Keep falling asleep when i listen to it...!

Had a pretty good week, trained 3 times. I've been having trouble reading tiny writing, like the ingredients list on a small item so I finally went to see the optician who told me I have healthy eyes but need to get reading glasses. Apparently it happens to everyone in their 40's at some point, the lens in your eye starts to harden and is lessflexible so the muscles can't move it into the right position anymore. Not real happy about it but what can I do, I have to accept it. 

I drove my MX5 (Miata) 3 hours down back roads through the blue mountains to visit my friend who's moved out there. Had a great time driving with the top down on a beautiful sunny day. We had fun hanging out together, drank some exceptional wine, played pool and had a good chinwag! I came home happy and relaxed :)

Managed to stay off the sauce again yesterday, trained, decent nutrition and got a good night's sleep so the wek is off to a good start :encouragement::positive:   

• Like 4