[BitterOyster] is Slowly and Steadily Winning the Race

BitterOyster

Tortoise-VS-Hare.png

Happy challenge start day! I'm still on my Epic Travel Adventure (yes still going, that's why it's epic in the old sense of the word) and I've finally let my good habits slip, but that's ok! I've been doing great re-establishing the first 2 out of 3 of my daily goals:

1. Knee strengthening exercises (for ongoing problems)

2. Draw something every day from the world around me

3. Body care  - 2 of any fitness, strength or mobility exercises

I've been on the road for almost 3 months now, mostly in Germany, doing WWOOFing to earn my keep. My last farm involved a lot of manual labour which was awesome, but this one is far less physical, so it's time to start making up for that.

• Like 2

2017: Year of the Epic Travel Adventure

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Current challenge - Metallica Theme

Previous: 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle log/inspiration thread

Week 1

Knees - 3/7

Drawing - 5/7

Workouts - 1/7

Before berating myself about the numbers I'm going to remember that I'm ten thousand kilometers out of my comfort zone, having experiences I never would have imagined, trying to pack as much as possible into each day. There is no room for guilt, only improvement. This week I played with movement on an obstacle course I found in a forest, made it through a challenging yoga lesson, walked on the beach on an island in the North Sea, danced around a campfire and carried my suitcase up a lot of stairs. I'm doing just fine!

This week I did something really simple that helped a bunch. I can't believe it took me this long. Just a simple scribbled down table so I don't have to keep all my results in my head. It's in my sketchbook so it's something I always have on hand.

1PsM597.jpg

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Hi, sounds like your Epic Adventure is going really well!

21 hours ago, BitterOyster said:

This week I played with movement on an obstacle course I found in a forest, made it through a challenging yoga lesson, walked on the beach on an island in the North Sea, danced around a campfire and carried my suitcase up a lot of stairs. I'm doing just fine!

Firstly, that sounds like an amazing week. Secondly, how does that come out as only one workout for the week :P ?

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

11 hours ago, Jarric said:

Hi, sounds like your Epic Adventure is going really well!

Firstly, that sounds like an amazing week. Secondly, how does that come out as only one workout for the week :P ?

That's a good point! I didn't realise until I wrote it out how much I did in that one week. 

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

After going back and forth at least 6 times on whether I was going to Berlin, I'm finally in Berlin :D Unfortunately I've come down with a cold, which tends to hit me hard for the first few days and won't go away until I have a long rest, so I'm spending most of my time in my room even though I'm in freaking Berlin... ah well, there's nothing I can do about it. I still have 2 more days so I'm going to take a bus tour so I don't have to walk around, and then hopefully I'll be well enough to wander the city on the last day.

Last week was pretty strenuous with long days so in the evening I was mostly struggling to even brush my teeth before I fell asleep, let alone exercise, so I didn't get great scores but I have been getting some physical activity. I was having depression-like symptoms but mostly sleepiness and lethargy despite getting enough sleep, which was puzzling, but now I think it was a mix of being burnt out and incubating a cold, so even though I'm in Berlin (did I mention I'm in Berlin?) it's probably for the best that I'm taking some (unwilling) rest days. At least the view is great.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

I'm not an impulsive person, but this trip is all about getting out of my comfort zone, so in the previous week I changed my plans completely and went for a last-minute jaunt through 3 neighbouring countries. I only had one or two days in each place and normally I hate travelling like that and trying to see a city in such a limited time, but this is the last part of my trip where I can actually change my plans so I was greedy to fit a lot in. It WAS exhausting but I'm so glad I did it! I've been to Prague, Bratislava and Vienna (just missed out on Budapest due to limited time). So of course it was a struggle to keep up my challenge habits but I think I did really well considering I was on a whirlwind tour AND recovering from a cold. If I can stave off sleep for a few minutes at the end of the day I do some leg lifts in bed which helps my knees. I've been taking elevators wherever possible (my physiotherapist wants me to avoid stairs at this point) and they're feeling a lot better.

Knees: 4/7

Drawing: 5/7

Workouts 2/7

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

3 amazing cities in a week? That sounds like great fun! I'm pretty envious right now.

Glad the knees are getting better - keep on working on them and I'm sure you'll keep seeing positive results :)

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map