• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CheshireCrab

Crab Scuttles Forward!

Hello fellow rangers! Former Rebel here doing this 4-Week challenge as a ranger! I tend to have a diverse workout regime that mixes in strength training and cardio. I thought why not try the Rangers Guild?

My last 4-week challenge ended on a pretty low note due to me being derailed from my workout habits. I want to fix it up for this challenge so I thought about doing something a little different. After reading Charles Durhigg's book, The Power of Habit, I realize the best way to keep me on track of all my challenges is to set-up a reward system. I personally found that the best rewards that came with these challenges are related to NF Academy Quests.

So this challenge is a little more focused on Quests that will help me build solid fitness habits.

Quest Challenges

• Attend Martial Arts Classes 3 Times a Week
  • Go Swimming Twice a week(2 months completed thus far!)
  • Wake Up 7 AM or earlier Each Day
  • Do 12 Consecutive Double Unders(Part of Burpee-Bop's Boss Battle)
  • Walk 1 Mile Every Morning

Quests(In Order)

Spoiler
  • 30challengecompleted.png
  • morningmile3completed.png
  • C53PrlK.png
  • i4CRzfg.png
  •  
  • LOsPsQQ.png

Non-Quest Related Challenges

• Go to Parkour/Freerunning Classes 2 Times A Week
  • Go Biking Twice a week
  • Go Running Twice a week
  • Program 1 hour a day, 6 days a week
  • Weight Lifting class Once a week

I have a triathlon in June so most of my cardio will be coming from an ongoing workout program. Strength training will be happening about 3-4 days a week with a mix of body weight workouts and weight lifting.

Like the last few challenges I will be accomplishing a minimum of one NF Academy Quest per day. I am going to make each post formatted like last challenge and how I format my photo journal. Each day I am going to snap a photo that relates to some sort of progress or memorable event in my life. To save space, each photo will be put in a spoiler tag.

I hope everyone has a solid 4-week challenge!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Rangers! I like your challenges a lot, particularly walking a mile in the morning. I've read a lot about how good this is for you (though I am still working on dragging my butt out of bed each morning!). 

• Like 1

Im impressed you can get up at 7am or earlier! I just cant seem to do it, im not a morning person haha

Good luck with the challenges. You will rock it! 

• Like 1

Oh man, I also need to work on waking up earlier (7 am and earlier than that is awesome)!  This challenge looks awesome!  Tough but awesome and well suited for your triathlon!  Following along :D

• Like 1

On 4/24/2017 at 0:59 AM, EmeraldEagle said:

Welcome to the Rangers! I like your challenges a lot, particularly walking a mile in the morning. I've read a lot about how good this is for you (though I am still working on dragging my butt out of bed each morning!). 

On 4/24/2017 at 1:54 AM, Salinger said:

Im impressed you can get up at 7am or earlier! I just cant seem to do it, im not a morning person haha

Good luck with the challenges. You will rock it! 

Thank you! These two challenges are actually pretty related to one another. I was watching Thomas Frank's tips on how to become motivated in the morning and one of his suggestions was to do an easy, but productive task easy morning to get the brain going. Ended up helping a lot with keeping a consistent sleep schedule and having a productive morning!

On 4/24/2017 at 11:27 AM, BlackTezca said:

Oh man, I also need to work on waking up earlier (7 am and earlier than that is awesome)!  This challenge looks awesome!  Tough but awesome and well suited for your triathlon!  Following along :D

Thank you Tezca! I wish you the best of your luck on your challenge as well!

• Like 2

This post is going to be a little different. Last week was the last of classes so I was pretty busy finishing up finals and ended up neglecting posting daily updates.

Monday

I ended up skipping one of my scheduled Krav Maga classes due to homework. I did end up getting in my triathlon training and some strength training later in the evening

Tuesday

Tuesday was suppose to be a long stretch/yoga day but ended up cutting it short to prep for a final I had that night. After my final I left to put in my swimming workout

Wednesday

I opted to cut my usual 4 hour Parkour/Kendo/Freerunning/Weight Lifting session to 3 hours to finish up some final projects for class. Got home pretty late but still managed to fit in biking and dinner before heading straight to bed.

Thursday

Last final for the semester. I fit in a shortened strength training workout before class than went swimming after my final.

Friday

Since I missed a Parkour class on Wednesday I opted to take one on Friday. I ended up sticking around for 2 hours due to the fun of the classes. Went for a run afterwards.

Saturday

Today was another make-up day. In the morning I put in a long bike session after Krav. Since I had to skip Krav on Monday I opted to take a trial American Karate class to fit in 3 Martial Art classes total this week. Was a very fun class and built up quite a sweat!

Still wrapping things up this week(i.e. A few other projects) but should be able to post more regular updates soon. The weather has been cold this week and last so I'm a little bummed out I can't work on double unders still :/

May 12th, 2017 – Today marks the day I cross off two challenges on my list: Waking up at 7 AM or earlier for 30 days, and walking a mile in the morning for 30 days. These are two new habits I wanted to get into as a way to get my mind and body moving straight away in the day.

It was a fun little experiment, but after 30 days of waking up early and going for a walk, I felt that I wasn’t really seeing that much of a change in my productivity. To be honest, it actually felt like I was sacrificing things I valued more(i.e. Yoga and meditation) in favor of the morning walk. As a result of not doing these important mindfulness activities I felt a drop in my productivity these past 30 days.

While these walks were very nice, I did not feel like they ended up being the right way for me to start my days. Still, was a very enjoyable experiment.

morning-mile-3.png

30-day-habit-challenge.png

Daily Photo Journal:

Spoiler

20170512_072430.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like it's the end this month's challenge which means it's time to round up this month's grading. This month's challenge would be grade similarly to last month's challenge and follow an all-or-nothing rule.

I did wish I updated my 4-Week Challenge more. I've been really caught up with my challenges and often forgot to snap a photo to represent the day. I think next week I am going to include a challenge to update my posts a bit. Well, without further ado!

Point Scoring

Spoiler

Quest Challenges(3/5)

• Attend Martial Arts Classes 3 Times a Week
  • Go Swimming Twice a week(2 months completed thus far!)
  • Wake Up 7 AM or earlier Each Day
  • Do 12 Consecutive Double Unders(Part of Burpee-Bop's Boss Battle)
  • Walk 1 Mile Every Morning

Non-Quest Related Challenges(5/5)

• Go to Parkour/Freerunning Classes 2 Times A Week
  • Go Biking Twice a week
  • Go Running Twice a week
  • Program 1 hour a day, 6 days a week
  • Weight Lifting class Once a week

Final Grade

Pretty proud of my accomplishments this month! Ended up getting the majority of them completed.

Point Scoring

Spoiler

F: 0 Tasks Completed

D: 1 Tasks Completed

D+: 2 Tasks Completed

C-: 3 Tasks Completed

C: 4 Tasks Completed

C+: 5 Tasks Completed

B-: 6 Tasks Completed

B: 7 Tasks Completed

B+: 8 Tasks Completed

A-: 9 Tasks Completed

A: 10 Tasks Completed

With 8Tasks complete that puts me at a grade of:

bplus.jpg

Final Thoughts:

Last challenge I ended up doing really poorly due to not having a set schedule. This month I managed create a schedule that worked a lot better for me to fit in my challenges. I also felt that by focusing on Quests this month I ended up getting a lot more of these challenges done.

Couldn't finish my last Boss Quests due to weather. This month had a lot of days where the temperature would drop below 50's, making it impossible to frequently practice Double Unders without the chance of my jump rope breaking. However, I did practice enough Double Unders to increase my personal best from 4 to 8.

For my martial arts classes, I ended up hitting all but 1 Saturday morning class, due to circumstances caused by myself. Still, I felt that I did end up increasing my attendance by taking on this challenge. So it wasn't a complete loss.

Nerd Fitness Academy Stats:

O3vZtUv.png

Fitocracy Stats

uQO1vHi.png

Body Shots

Spoiler

R3Jgw7C.jpgb1oFdO2.jpgb8Kav4I.jpgy4jI4uV.jpg

68Gz5L0.jpgkd2kHS0.jpgpQMX99W.jpg8P1PKfW.jpg

Rfrfnrk.jpgMZxCyP2.jpgQpdzojH.jpg3ZNvl4v.jpg

GPcmTat.jpgcpXxuWu.jpguT9xVtR.jpgq2ChJ1h.jpg

bWbTt4n.jpgqRIv5aM.jpg8kO0ANt.jpgs3lr3ih.jpg

Measurements

f0aBoSK.png

_________

The month of June is going to be a very eventful one. Next weekend I'll be running my triathlon then plan to decrease my cardio volume(Mostly doing a lot less biking). I have several races coming up so there will be a lot more focus on running in the next few weeks.

With the weather warming up I should be able to spend more time working on my Double Unders and hopefully hit that point of doing 12 consecutive double under jumps. I am getting pretty anxious to start working on my own work-out regime which mixes a lot more core-work and specific muscle groups for doing Parkour and Rock Climbing.

Hope everyone had an awesome challenge, see you next challenge!