• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Heidi

Heidi: Nourish

Nourishing Mind, Body and Soul

Mind 

Classwork (this is in bold because it's a focus point for the challenge, a point where when things get into conflict -- and they always do at some point, because that's life for you -- I can touch back to what is central) 

I'm enrolled in an independent study and an online class this term. At this point, I only have the papers left, but that's a huge piece (in the case of the independent study, it's the only piece.)

• Posting on Tuesday for the Comparative Urbanism Class
  • Paper 1 for Comparative Urbanism
  • Paper 2 for Comparative Urbanism
  • Paper for Identity, Politics and Power in the 20th Century 

Body

Nightly sleep 

I need to take care of myself by making certain I'm getting enough rest. If I'm worn out and exhausted, I can't be a good student / parent / friend. I need to be in bed no later than 9 p.m. I am hoping the meditation routine will dovetail with this.

Nightly Floss Routine - this only takes seconds, so it's not as though it is really hard or anything. I have floss and coconut oil  for oil pulling next to the toothpaste now, so it's kind of inevitable.

Soul 

Daily mindfulness

Daily quiet time

Nightly Meditation and reading of Faith & Practice

Weekly meetings & Connections

• Women's Meeting Monday
    • Home Group Meeting Tuesday
    • Letters Wednesday
    • Therapy Thursday
    • Sponsor Meeting Friday
    • Home Group Meeting Saturday
    • Friends Meeting Sunday 
    • Radio Interview / Essay weekly

Bonus:

Financial Planning with the attorney

Financial worry is soul-crushing. I recently read a report on the effects of poverty sapping nearly an entire standard deviation from a person's intelligence, and I can completely believe that. The mental peace that will come from financial clarity is huge.

Also, a weekly budget meeting with my partner -- Sunday

• Like 5

By the way, I have no idea why the challenge is still listed as "Next Challenge." 

I'm not in charge of these things. :)

• Like 1

Hey baby!  Looks like you are as busy as ever.  I am back.  Lots going on in my life but I am trying to get back in this regular like.  

I think  of you often.  Especially when I was planning my garden.

• Like 1

Last night I fell asleep within minutes of hanging up the phone with Vivian. (Note: Add Nightly Call with Vivian to the list.)

I didn't read for class or knit or anything -- I barely ate. I caught a minor amount of energy as I brushed my teeth (at 8:00 -- I'm turning into an old lady), and then my partner put arnica oil on my back and shoulders and read to me a bit from a spiritual workbook that we have

Spoiler

(Faith & Practice. It's a Quaker book and it's way more interesting than I would have ever imagined. Any of the regional meetings will put one out and it's divided into testimonies, which I think of as character traits, with talk about the testimony, questions to consider, and others' writings on the topic. I find it very centering.) 

And then I was out solid for until 5:30 this morning.

We started the grey and rainy day with coffee and more reading, and then out the door with us to the Big Wide World.

• Like 1

Yesterday we made it to the evening meeting, but through the day i totally forgot to post for my class -- fortunately it's the last class of the term -- I'm hoping to get to it today. This has been a chaotic schedule in the extreme, and I don't deal with that very well. After meeting, I called Vivian, and then added on the new habit in training of calling my sponsor. I'm hoping that by hanging it on to the nightly Vivian call that it will become a habit through association. Walking, water and the rest seemed to fall by the wayside, though I did eat, floss and sleep according to plan. 

I signed up for Yet Another Online Course for the summer, The Hero's Journey and it begins on June 19.

Before the class, I'm heading to the Tinker Mountain Writer's Workshop June 11-17 -- the Writer's Retreat section: seven days of living breathing sleeping and eating writing my memoir -- it sounds super cool. But that's in June.

Spoiler

A Writers’ Retreat

In this multi-genre workshop we’ll embody the practice of writing daily. During meeting times we will discuss matters of craft derived from reading a wide variety of published stories, poems, and essays; read aloud to one another from our own newly written work and respond to it as a community of writers intent on helping one another find a larger audience; write from prompts; approach publishing as a part of the creative process; and address any and all concerns related to the writing life, from writer’s block to sources of inspiration to submission strategies that yield positive results. While conventional creative writing workshops privilege the critique, the quality of them hinging upon the amount of time and thought outside of meeting times writers put into reading and responding to each other’s manuscripts, in this workshop we’ll honor the act of writing by putting the time, space, and camaraderie to use in the drafting of new stories, poems, and essays that we’ll share with one another. This workshop is open to writers of all skill levels and degrees of experience.

Instructor: Dan Mueller, all genres and levels

Today, after I get around to posting for class, I'm heading to the local library to interview my state house representative. Last week I interviewed my federal house representative, and a couple weeks before that I interviewed the city manager. It's exciting, and I love it, and we don't have anything lined up for next week yet, which is kind of a bummer, so I'm sending the executive director some of my rants and essays and letting him choose one or two to record for days when we don't have an interview. It's a weekly radio show, fifteen to thirty minutes long, and I'm having a ball.

O yeah, and of course I'm at work today.

Tonight we are writing letters and having steak dinner after meeting with a friend to discuss protocols and policies for the Tuesday night group meetings.

• Like 1

Paper for the week posted.

Now I just have to write two small ish papers and one large paper (on different topics, which keeps it all quite lively). It's going to be a fun fortnight.

4 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Damn these rapid fire challenges, I keep missing my favorite Druid. Fixed now, found you and following.

Good to have you along!

Confession: I feel totally special that you went and found me again. Thanks!

I agree about the rapid-fire of it all; sometimes it makes my head swim. (Wait. It's time to make a guild hall? Again? Already?)

• Like 1

Last night I fell asleep pretty quickly after the nightly call with Vivian and my sponsor. I am liking having these two things linked, but it might work out better for my sponsor if I called in the morning, since she is up and available then. I'll talk with her about that on Friday evening when we meet.

At the studio yesterday:

RasoulInterview20170426SunScreen.jpg

And last week

Goodlatte20170421Zeke.png

I'm the one on the right of the man in the tie, the one with glasses and a shock of grey like a tiara.

I'm doing really well on the sleeping element to this round, and that's having a noticeable affect on my outlook overall. I think that sleeping, connecting with people through letters and phone calls and meetings, and getting my classwork done is ample this round. Bonus: I'm working on the finances in the background and hope to have them completed by the end of the challenge. (See what I did there? I retooled it to a 3+1. Old school training comes through no matter what.)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Heidi ☯ said:

Good to have you along!

Confession: I feel totally special that you went and found me again. Thanks!

As you should, because you totally are special.

19 hours ago, Heidi ☯ said:

At the studio yesterday:

RasoulInterview20170426SunScreen.jpg

Not sure if I've mentioned so before, but I really like your style. In clothing and in general.

• Like 1

For those of you who have asked how I get the different font / color:

Spoiler

I change the code in the source.

<p>
        <font color="#000000" face="georgia, serif"><span style="font-size: 15px;">For those of you who asked:</span></font>
    </p>

Yesterday was lovely.

My partner has been doing pick-up tree work in the wake of his temp assignment ending, and it has been lovely to have him working outdoors.

It was good to get to pick up Vivian after school again, and I think we have the rhythm of the routine established, now. She really seems to enjoy being able to go to the library and play before swimming lessons. And bonus -- there is a snack in the gym after school.
    20170427_151538.jpg 20170427_151920.jpg

20170427_071832.jpgThe rain and warm weather have resulted in an early profusion by the rose bush. While it's all probably just the first edge of Devastation By Global Warming, it's still darned pretty.

After swimming lessons, Jax was wonderful and brought us dinner. It was Asian meatballs with glass noodles in a ginger lime sauce and it was so good it's haunting me. Fortunately, there were leftovers to help with that. We played cards and read stories and enjoyed the companionship of it all.

20170427_185218.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/28/2017 at 6:33 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

As you should, because you totally are special.

So true!

Are you publishing your interviews/other writing anywhere online? (the blog link in your signature isn't working :( )

• Like 1

14 hours ago, maegs said:

(the blog link in your signature isn't working :( )

Wait. What??

* s i g h *

fixed 

(again)

• Like 1

@maegs, there isn't a page, which I'm about to fix. The Radio Free Roanoke site is being bogged down by drama, so I'm going to walk around all that and put up a page of my own. Nothing fancy, just the links for now. :)

I love you guys.

I was super tender and vulnerable this weekend, but it was all ok.

WaltWhitman.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heidi ☯ said:

have a bit of music to welcome you to your Monday

That song is lovely!

I'll have to check out those links when I get home, should be some interesting reading!

• Like 1

The weekend in pictures.

20170429_140846.jpg
    Hair Appointment at Candy's
    20170429_140416.jpg
    Getting Advice
    20170429_130512.jpg
    After Meeting, waiting on the singing
    20170429_115616.jpg
    She was in love with reading all weekend -- this was how she rode everywhere.
    20170429_103354.jpg
    Ready for the adventure.
    (Let me point out that it was 80 degrees out)
    20170428_191520.jpg
    Cooking is serious business
    20170428_191504.jpg
    Making our own ketchup for the burgers.
    20170428_181043.jpg
    The Park!!
    20170430_095947.jpg
    Heading to meeting
    20170430_130815.jpg
    Gathered and Singing
    20170429_155856.jpg
    Playing with Zane
    20170429_144434.jpg
    Girls on Campus
    • Like 5

On 5/2/2017 at 5:06 PM, Terinatum said:

WOW! She's so awesome and big, and pretty. You're always sexy so I don't need to remind you! Dare I ask how old she is now? Like 10?

I know! She is so big and wonderful. But she just turned six.

And I'm blushing -- I never think of myself that way, so it's always cool-but-weird when someone says it. Thank you, though!!

It has been a heck of a week. Vivian's dad is being super-uncooperative, even for him. The marks have returned on Vivian's back. The workplace is having its own drama, all emotional and nothing about performance, of course, so I feel adrift at best.

On the other hand, the conflict resolution workshop was brilliant, just what i needed, and centering. More than ever, this is calling me to follow a new path, one that doesn't deal with data but with people, one that focuses on talking and listening and building connections and empathy.

I'm working on  my final papers for the term, and they are coming together. I'm dragging my heels on the Comparative Urbanism class because i'm being all uppity about it. It's not a very helpful mindset, I grant you. Here's hoping that the truth will set me free. Everything is due the afternoon of the 17th, so wish me luck. I have an extension for the American Identity course that I'm working on, but I would rather not use it if possible.

Keep your fingers crossed for me -- I'm supposed to meet with the guy who has the house sometime this week. No matter what, I feel pretty centered and solid. There is a lot of turbulence right now, but I feel certain I'm on the right Path.   

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Sending positive energy your way. I know you'll get through this.

Thanks, @DarK_RaideR. I noticed I was at the end of my rope this morning, so I tied a knot in it to make it easier to stand on.

Spartan Training For The Win.

• Like 2