• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Terra

A little Poison Ivy is good for Terra's soul!

2fd41c46b3f55786eaf54a66990f713c.jpg

Its week 1 Day 2 of the challenge and I haven't gotten my stuff together to post my challenge.  I have a lovely write up at home that I can't access from work.  I'll just post this placeholder with my actual challenge goals to be posted tonight!   Quick overview of my goals - keep up the good habit creation that I have been working on in the last challenge, add in a veggie to my meals and do lots of garden work!!!  

• Like 5

Some of the most beautiful plants in the world are dangerous. They’re alluring, beckoning you closer with their shape and their bloom, and by the time you realize the peril you’re in, it’s too late. In nature, beauty can be a weapon. So it’s fitting that Poison Ivy, Gotham’s beautiful-but-deadly eco-terrorist, would use it as hers.

What makes Poision Ivy a force to be recongned with? 

Powers

Chlorokinesis: Semi-mystical connection to the plant world through a force called the Green. She was able to manipulate and animate plants, using roots to form supports for a tunnel. She controlled an entire tree to come down on Clayface, ensnaring him in its branches. She once brought a whole skyscraper down with giant vines.

Pheromone Control: Ivy is known to be able to seduce men and women alike, often using pheromones to do so, but even without the pheromones, her beauty is still an asset that can she can use to seduce.[27]

Toxikinesis: A deliberate overdose of plant and animal based toxins into her blood stream that make her touch deadly. Ivy can create the most potently powerful floral toxins in Gotham City. Often these are secreted from her lips and administered via a kiss. They come in a number of varieties, from mind controlling drugs to instantly fatal necrotics. Her skin is toxic as well, although contact with it is usually not fatal.

Abilities

Botany: Doctor Isley was a renowned scientist with a career in Gotham City. She's always had a fascination with plants and they have been the major direction in her life even after her accident. Her knowledge of botany allows her to better manipulate her plants.

Toxicology: Her specialization in Botany was Toxicology, at first she used her knowledge for perfumes, make-up and medicine. After her accident, she used her knowledge to grow thorny plants and poisonous traps for her enemies.

Seduction: Pamela Isley has always been a beautiful woman but she never used her looks or talents for personal gain until she became Poison Ivy. She taunts her trapped opponents with their human desires and can even infatuate thugs to her cause through her plants or her own means.

Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): Her athletic abilities have grown over the course of her career. She has learned a limited style of martial arts fighting, is proficient at climbing and leaping, and is a strong and fast swimmer.

Weaknesses

Vulnerability to Darkness: Poison Ivy requires substantial amounts of solar energy to live.

Mental Instability: Poison Ivy has been committed to Arkham Asylum on a regular basis. She speaks to her plants, finds extreme rage towards males and at a certain point sought out the destruction of the human race so only she and her plants would live.

So what improvements do I need to make this month?  What habits need to be solidified!

Chlorokinesis and Botany >>  Plants are powerful!  So this challenge I will focus on plants.  First I will eat more veggies and experiment with new veggie dishes.  Second I will focus on my garden and yard.  

Pheromone Control and Seduction: Spending quality time with my hubby this month will also be a focus.  We are busy and date nights have not been happening lately, they need to be brought back!  

Toxikinesis and Toxicology: I will continue to work towards healing my adrenals and SIBO thus reducing the toxic substances from my system!

Hand-to Hand Combat: This is my goto exercise BJJ class and continuing the conditioning classes where my cardio and strength are improving every class.

Vulnerable to darkness:  I will get out of the house and enjoy this beautiful spring.  Walks/hikes and maybe even the occasional run needs to become more routine.  

Mental Stability: I will do something that is positive and just for me.  Self care for the win!  

poison-ivy-dc-comics-infinite.jpg

• Like 7

Hiya!! Glad you jumped on the challenge, Terra! I was looking for your thread last week :) 

e89d70a8ec555de939ea7177620fcfd4.jpg

Too risque?? I laughed :P 

Wolf

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wild Wolf said:

Too risque?? I laughed :P 

Nope!  That was funny.  Laughing out loud in my office...  People stopping to peer in my door at me giggling!  

• Like 1

Got some interesting news today.  Its more news about the hubby's health so I'll hide the drama!  

Spoiler

The hubby has had breathing issues for years. His case manager for our health insurance company was talking to him a couple of months ago, checking up on all the tumor in his head and recovery stuff.  He mentioned that the allergist doctor here thought he might e a candidate for this new asthma procedure, but there is only one guy in New Mexico who does it.  So she recommended that we go to Denver because for pulmonary stuff they are the best, and a drivable distance.  Today he got a phone call from the Jewish Hospital up in Denver.  It has taken three months to get all the approvals but they want to see him in June. Amazingly the schedule fit into the only free time that we have available in the next three months!!!    But its the only free time we had...  <sigh>  We will likely have to ask my parents for help with the girls (they can be flaky!)  Yes I need to be there for the meetings with the doctors (But I will likely skip the battery of testing so I can work or take care of kiddos!)  I'm not looking forward to more healthy drama but breathing is kind of important.  

• Like 6

I've added some info above for my goals this month.  Here is a summary:

1. Eat more veggies and experiment with new veggie dishes. 
  2. Work in garden and yard.
  3. Date Night!
  4.  I will continue to work towards healing my adrenals and SIBO thus reducing the toxic substances from my system!
  5. Continue habit building for exercise! BJJ class and conditioning classes 
  6. Walks/hikes and maybe even the occasional run needs to become more routine.  
  7. I will do something that is positive and just for me.  Self care for the win!  

That is a lot and I was considering adding in another one...  My hips have gotten tight and much flexibility has been lost over the last year.  The physical therapist even noted it.  So on my own and not as a goal this month I will work on my hip mobility and flexibility.  

• Like 3

Last night was BJJ and conditioning class.  I almost didn't go.  There is 30 minutes between the kids BJJ class and the adult BJJ class and I decided to take my girls home so they could eat and do homework/chores.  I checked myself into both the BJJ and conditioning classes so I had to come back to the gym.  Both classes were tough, sweaty affairs! 

I got news from my functional med doctor that I need to do one more round of meds for the SIBO.  I'll let her know that I want to start asap!

The hubby is gone all this week and I need to adult better when he is gone.  I need to focus on getting stuff done tonight at home because it is the only night this week that I don't have any serious plans...  

And I'm finally off and running with this challenge!  

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Terra said:

Nope!  That was funny.  Laughing out loud in my office...  People stopping to peer in my door at me giggling!  

Hahahaha, heck yeah! They peered in because of laughter and then became insanely jealous when they saw all the Lularoe ;) 

35 minutes ago, Terra said:

And I'm finally off and running with this challenge!  

Woot woot! Well done on both classes and getting in a great workout. I know you miss your hubs, so just stay busy and get what you can get done tonight to help limit the stresses later on in the week. 

0eb90e916986211aa67ff1489a847b93.jpg

Wolf

• Like 4

Happy to see outdoor walks/hikes on the horizon.  And of course the veggies and gardens!  I'm glad your poison ivy isn't the literal kind - I've already had my first reaction of the year.  Now I know I can get poison ivy from a root...one looks like any other root in the world before the leaves grow.

poison_ivy_gardening_by_andypriceart-d3c 

• Like 3

I'm taking baby steps right now with the veggies.  Today is a working lunch in my office and typically I eat protein and a piece of fruit.  Today I brought carrots too.  I'm a pretty basic eater except when I go all out.  its part of my much needed keep it simple style, Make it easy so I can focus on the important things in life.   

Its been so cold here this week.  Several mornings with frost on the cars/grass and cold windy days.  I just want sunshine.  This weekend I need to repot my seedlings because they are outgrowing the original seed pods.  I still have two weeks before I'll chance putting my tomatoes and pumpkins outside.  

No classes last night, just adulting and a one hour escape to help a friend who is starting up a new business.  We unpacked boxes of LuLaRoe clothes for an hour!  

Today is a good day to hunker down, get stuff done at work, go to BJJ and conditioning classes, eat good and go to bed early tonight!  Thats the plan, nothing fancy, special or even exciting.  

• Like 3

I'm feeling a little blue and unmotivated today... 

8f2f02b2b0c276756c52bfbbe8b09767.jpg

Its like I don't have a direction.  I am just getting by in life.  I keep thinking about my big why... 

• Like 1

So it turns out I was actually feeling a little sick yesterday.  I couldn't eat much last night because of a stomach ache. I skipped BJJ and conditioning class.  I just tried to get adulting stuff done and relax with some tea.  I am still feeling like my big why is missing but I've felt like that for months...  

On 4/26/2017 at 10:07 AM, Terra said:

I'm taking baby steps right now with the veggies.  Today is a working lunch in my office and typically I eat protein and a piece of fruit.  Today I brought carrots too.  I'm a pretty basic eater except when I go all out.  its part of my much needed keep it simple style, Make it easy so I can focus on the important things in life.   

Its been so cold here this week.  Several mornings with frost on the cars/grass and cold windy days.  I just want sunshine.  This weekend I need to repot my seedlings because they are outgrowing the original seed pods.  I still have two weeks before I'll chance putting my tomatoes and pumpkins outside.  

Baby steps with veggies are good steps! I've been slowly increasing my veg intake for a while, and I can totally tell when I don't eat them. My stomach just doesn't act the same.

What USDA zone are you in? I'm 5a, and our last frost date is May 15! This year we got a grow light, and we *finally* got peppers to start from seed! Next year we will attempt tomatoes from seed again. 

39 minutes ago, Terra said:

So it turns out I was actually feeling a little sick yesterday.  I couldn't eat much last night because of a stomach ache. I skipped BJJ and conditioning class.  I just tried to get adulting stuff done and relax with some tea.  I am still feeling like my big why is missing but I've felt like that for months...  

I have no idea if this will help, but I spent a LOT of time figuring out what I want to do, and why I want to do it. My first big why was 3 whys deep, yet focused on an artificial idea of "Healthy". I did a lot of self-guided... therapy? maybe... study, is really more like it, about how Merriam Webster or LiveStrong or whatever defined healthy. I was hyper focused on that word. I needed to so something different than a "Big Why"

I started by making a list of things that I love (pony) and (all the) things that I wanted to do. Things that make me happy, and things I want to do more of. Initially, the list was overwhelming and ridiculous. Rangerbrain (TM) is great and all, but there was no way I could do all the things all the time. I was lost and didn't have a good reason for doing some of the things, so I didn't really do any of them. I had plenty of things that I wanted to accomplish, but just no drive. Then I started breaking things down, and looking at a little why (3-5 whys deep) for each thing. Why did I want to go swimming? Turns out I felt pressured by a doctor (that I no longer see) to do more (because lifting and horseback riding wasn't sufficient). That's not a "why", that's guilt. So off the list it went. Why did I want to ride my horse? Because I feel a great sense of freedom and accomplishment when riding and being with my pony buddy. Now THAT is a good reason. 

I hope that makes sense. Instead of focusing on defining my one BIG why, I made lots of little ones. From there, I bundled them together and found a theme (VIBRANT :D) and that is the core of my big why.

<3 for the sickness the the lost-ness. Hope you are doing better today.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tova the Vibrant said:

have no idea if this will help, but I spent a LOT of time figuring out what I want to do, and why I want to do it. My first big why was 3 whys deep, yet focused on an artificial idea of "Healthy". I did a lot of self-guided... therapy? maybe... study, is really more like it, about how Merriam Webster or LiveStrong or whatever defined healthy. I was hyper focused on that word. I needed to so something different than a "Big Why"

I started by making a list of things that I love (pony) and (all the) things that I wanted to do. Things that make me happy, and things I want to do more of. Initially, the list was overwhelming and ridiculous. Rangerbrain (TM) is great and all, but there was no way I could do all the things all the time. I was lost and didn't have a good reason for doing some of the things, so I didn't really do any of them. I had plenty of things that I wanted to accomplish, but just no drive. Then I started breaking things down, and looking at a little why (3-5 whys deep) for each thing. Why did I want to go swimming? Turns out I felt pressured by a doctor (that I no longer see) to do more (because lifting and horseback riding wasn't sufficient). That's not a "why", that's guilt. So off the list it went. Why did I want to ride my horse? Because I feel a great sense of freedom and accomplishment when riding and being with my pony buddy. Now THAT is a good reason. 

Thank you!  I have done exercises in the past to figure out my big why but they haven't always been the right why.  And when life throws you a few curve balls (ACL tear, hubby's brain tumor) these things change.  I am thinking that I will do some introspective research and see if I can't come up with a new WHY.     

• Like 1

I love the way you mapped your challenge goals onto Poison Ivy!

I like your date night goal a lot. You and your husband are so busy and you work so hard at being a good mother. WIth the added stress of his health issues and your own, I'm guessing it will be really good to take as much time as you can as a couple.

• Like 1

Funny.  I went back and read my big WHY and it is not very relevant anymore.  I can't believe I've change that much in two years.  I haven't even been through big life changes like you.  Just little daily ones.  Hope you find some good answers with your introspective research.  Or that you just feel better about life without understanding why.  I think that's possible, too.

Betcha feeling less sick, will help.  Hope you are on the mend!

• Like 4

I could really use some sunshine...  its snowing today!  I think I'm having some SADs and missing the sun.  

Today is crazy busy!!!  I'll try to post later, if I get caught up...  

pamela_isley_cosplay_before_poison_ivy_b

• Like 1

Ha - Our Friday scheduled rain came down as snow.  Saturday's snow was so heavy and deep that it closed roads and canceled events!    Sunday the sun came out and melted everything.  This week its suppose to get into the high 60's maybe low 70's.  Welcome to spring at a high elevation!!!  I might be in New Mexico but I'm high up in the mountains!  

I went back and re-looked at my big why.  Its OK, but not earth shattering.  My goals behind the big why were something that I need to relook at and I plan to spend time doing that this week.  I also dug up a book by Nia Shanks about weight loss.  I do need to loose weight but I don't care what the scale says...  << While seemingly contradictory it is not.   I need to remember the basics and get back there.  First thing is to refocus on food and then exercise...  I'm formulating a plan and putting pieces in place as soon as possible.  I don't think it will change my challenge goals but they may be refined a bit.  

I've got a project management training class all this week and it will keep me away from my work computer (where I usually post from) but I will try to update things here from home...  

• Like 4

I'm re-reading The 10 Commandments for Losing Fat from Nia Shanks and I'm going to recap what I have read so far just to hammer these things I already know deeper into my skull so that they stay there!!! 

Spoiler

1- Stop focusing on Fat loss - This one is hard.  I can feel my belly roll over the top of my pants right now.  So what I need to do is focus on gainz not losses!

2 - Master the basics of strength training and nutrition. Well, I know what I should be doing, so what is my problem?  I'm just not doing it right now!!!  THIS MUST CHANGE!!!

3 - Adopt Eating Patterns Suited to your lifestyle.   - This I got, sort of.  I know I need to eat paleo.  I'm struggling with our busy schedule and cooking healthy food has taken a backseat to exercise classes.  Planning for easy healthy crockpot dinners is a must!!!  I need to get back to my meal planning

4 - Accept and Learn from Set Backs.  I have overcome some pretty major setbacks in the last year.  So I think I got this, right now I am upset at myself but that is why I'm here and reading the book too!

5 - Stop Comparing myself to others.  Yep!  I know this but its still hard to do sometimes.  The only person who I should make comparisons to is myself yesterday.

And that is as far as I have gotten through the book.  Its a good start and I like that I regurgitated it here.  Writing it down helps!!! 

Last night at BJJ I rolled with my hubby and we he struggled to control me.  I was able to move fast and counter his movements, maintaining control of him.  IT felt good!  And then professor petted my tricep during the core/conditioning class, "nice" he said.  Made me laugh!!!!    So there is two amazing points of outside verification that I am doing something right...  I'm off to finish making my taco salad and adulting. 

On 4/27/2017 at 9:54 AM, Tova the Vibrant said:

What USDA zone are you in? I'm 5a, and our last frost date is May 15!

I never answered this, sorry!  WE have such amazing microclimates here that I have to be VERY careful.  I also plant garden plants aroung May 15th but tomatoes stay in wall-o-waters for the entire growing season because sometimes it gets too cold at night during the summers.  In parts of my yard I won't plant anything that isnt in Zone 3 hardy but other parts of the yard can handle Zone 4 or even 5 (but with extra care the first year or two for perennials)  The garden gets sun for most of the day!  Way more of an answer than you expected, eh?

• Like 5