My Journey Begins

Guest RebelYell0527

Guest RebelYell0527

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Iam a newly recruited member of the Rebellion! I am a level 1 adventurer looking to seek great things! I am getting married to the love of my life in 398 days and have a mission to get in the best shape I can for the walk down the aisle and beyond for whatever adventures life holds for us!

I'm one of those people that could likely be called 'skinny fat'.  At 5'10'' and 158lbs I hide my weight very well for a woman, mostly in the stomach, hips, and thighs, but when you look closely there is way too much adipose to be healthy. I'm looking forward to getting to know each of you, as well as getting started on the many adventures in the academy!

More to come!

-Fox

EDIT: Typo in my favor! Collect $50 dollars! (I had my weight at 168lb, but It's actually 158. I lost those first 10 pounds long before I ever found nerd fitness!)

Hello Fox! I love your name.  (Yours too, Ms. Tyrannosaurs Rose.)

At 158lbs, doesn't sound like you have a lot of work to do to someone who hasn't seen that weight since my early teens. But, I admire anyone who wants to get healthy. Nosy Question: Is your betrothed coming with you? If so, maybe you can give me some hints on how to get my spouse of 20+ years to stop yammering about needing to 'do something' to actually hitting the trail. 

Happy traveling to all!

Rainsong

Guest RebelYell0527
On 5/7/2017 at 7:48 PM, Wobbegong said:

Welcome to Nerd Fitness! 

Any specific plans or goals? Let us know! There are always rebels around to offer advice, commiseration, or just to cheer! 

On 5/8/2017 at 9:21 AM, Rainsong Bearamong said:

Hello Fox! I love your name.  (Yours too, Ms. Tyrannosaurs Rose.)

At 158lbs, doesn't sound like you have a lot of work to do to someone who hasn't seen that weight since my early teens. But, I admire anyone who wants to get healthy. Nosy Question: Is your betrothed coming with you? If so, maybe you can give me some hints on how to get my spouse of 20+ years to stop yammering about needing to 'do something' to actually hitting the trail. 

Happy traveling to all!

Rainsong

On 5/14/2017 at 3:46 PM, Guzzi said:

Hey!  Welcome to the forum, have you found your way around ok?  How are you liking the academy so far?

Hey! Sorry for being a month late, I forgot about the forum!  I have been working on the Academy Quests for the last month and I DO have Goals! But first! Your questions:

@Rainsong When I decided I wanted to feel better about myself I was at 175 lbs. I started working on my diet back in June 2016, and as of  2017 (Today actually) I weighed in at 155 - 20 POUNDS DOWN! You mentioned that I don't have a lot to do, and for overall weight you have a point. I am one of those people that is considered "skinny fat" however.  My BF percentage, is too high compared to my lean muscle mass. When I worked out back at a gym that had a fancy BF% calculator it was something like 34%. I want to get that down to about 23%. (GOAL).  To answer your question about my Fiance, YES! He joined the Academy with me, and while he's equally nerdy, he's not quite as in the trenches with me and I'd like him to be. He's in the midst of being un/under employed (he has a college degree, but only works part time at his alma mater, after his full time job lost the contract) so that makes things a bit harder for him motivation wise. How to get your hubby on the trail? What is your class type? Warrior, Adventurer, Scout? Ask him to help you, guys always seem to enjoy feeling needed. "Babe, can you help me with : Lift X / Run With Proper Form / Pitch this tent / etc... " even if you already know what you're doing, maybe the feeling of need will inspire him off the couch? I'm shooting blind here b/c I just met you! I'd love to hear more about you (and him) and we can go from there!

@Guzzi Thanks! I have spent a grand total of ONE DAY on the forum so far, so it will take a little while to figure out the ropes! Any Suggestions / advice?

@wobblegong Goals! Other than the one in Bold above, here are my current goals: 1) Learn to do a proper push up / pull up without handicap / modifications. I'm 29, and I still can't do a full push up, and pull ups are just evil right now, but I've been doing the workouts that were on the NF website about how to work your way up to them along with my BW Level 1workout. 2) Get stronger. My big WHY is about not being the reason we don't or can't do something. I'm an active person, I enjoy camping, hiking, etc.. but I'm usually the weakest link, ESPECIALLY compared to my fiance M, who is a Eagle Scout and has been camping since he could toddle. I want to be able to carry my own pack, not slow down the crowd, Climb a tree, jump a fence, etc... 3) I need to cut back on the eating out, and work on more at home meals. We eat great when we eat at home, but we spent over $700 on fast food / restaurants in May and it's got to stop. 4) Get 100% off of my anxiety medication. I just graduated Uni with a Bachelors in Psychology, and Over the last 10 (yes 10) years I was in school, I learned a lot of cognitive behavioral therapy to help me manage my anxiety without the need for meds. I've been weaning myself off for the last 2 months, and fingers crossed I will be completely free of them by 06/30. Then I will be able to get pregnant, which is not something I can do on the meds since it causes birth defects. 

Anywho, this got LONG. I'll summarize my goals in another post for June!

Guest RebelYell0527

--- JUNE GOALS ---

• Get 100% off Anxiety Meds | Loot: Weekend Trip To Celebrate
  • Eat @ home more times than we eat out | Loot: Fancy End Grain Cutting Board to assist with more healthy meals!
  • Eat out <4 times in a SINGLE WEEK | Loot: Movie night with the money saved 
  • COMPLETE! Get to 155 lbs | Loot: New Dress Slacks / Tailor my current slacks
  • Defeat General DOMS | Loot: New scale

Great to hear back from you! I love the suggestion for @Rainsong Bearamong, that's something I suggest to people (esp women) all the time when they tell me they're nervous about the weight room at their gym. Ask a guy for help! They're always so happy to be asked I never even feel judged. Surely it's even easier with someone you know well!

Eating at home is a great goal. I know I spend way too much money eating out, even though I don't do it too often. It's very dangerous. 

CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss goals!! That's so awesome. I don't really know you but I'm proud of your progress!

I love the anxiety meds goal too. I think it's really awesome in and of itself, just for the sake of not needing the medication, of being able to take care of your mental state and having the skills to manage your own anxiety (not that I'm against medication for people who need it; quite the contrary). But I especially like that there's a reason you really want to get off the meds, to have a baby! That's so exciting. Best of luck!

Hey!  Congrats on the weight loss!  I get what you mean about being "skinny fat", sometimes you can be physically small but you body composition is out of whack.  From your goals it sounds like some serious strength training is in your future which will help redress the balance.  Are you planning on sticking with the body weight workouts or is there anything else you'd like to do?

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Guest RebelYell0527
4 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I love the anxiety meds goal too. I think it's really awesome in and of itself, just for the sake of not needing the medication, of being able to take care of your mental state and having the skills to manage your own anxiety (not that I'm against medication for people who need it; quite the contrary). But I especially like that there's a reason you really want to get off the meds, to have a baby! That's so exciting. Best of luck!

I am 100% in agreement with you! I have no problem with medication at all, and I NEEDED it back when I got on, but I knew that if I waited to get off it until after we got married and started TTC that it would double or even triple the stress caused by reducing the meds!  It's been a rocky few months working my way off it, but M is amazing and helps me handle it with grace!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! Do you happen to know if there is a "journal" type section where I can park myself to track my journey that isn't in the "newbie" section forever? 

Guest RebelYell0527

@Guzzi, I have a gym membership and used it regularly for a while, but decided to "stick to the rules" of the Academy and start with Bodyweight 1. I figured if I build a good foundation that by the time I really get back in the gym I'll climb the ranks more easily!

I really enjoy weight lifting, and this bodyweight workout is actually a little annoying (read: boring), but since I can't do pushups then I feel like I belong there until I can. I'm open to suggestions though!

Sure! There's the 4 Week Challenges (just as they sound: pick a couple of fitness related goals and track them for a four week period. We just started a new 4WC on Saturday, so you can jump in anytime if you like) or you can head over to the Battle Logs. 

Battle Logs are whatever you want them to be, so don't worry too much about the name. Lots of people use them to chronicle their progress or even just their everyday life. Some people use them to store recipes or progress pics; others use them as an advice column; some just use theirs as a kind of "home base" and check in there whenever they visit NF. 

1 minute ago, TheFoxisZen said:

I really enjoy weight lifting, and this bodyweight workout is actually a little annoying (read: boring), but since I can't do pushups then I feel like I belong there until I can. I'm open to suggestions though!

Regarding this, I'd say if you're not enjoying the BBWW don't bother. If weight lifting is more your thing, start there! The best fitness routine is the one you'll actually do. So what if you can't do a pushup yet? Maybe if you work on weight training and don't worry about them for a while, one day you'll try one and find you can do it with ease. 

Pushups are a great exercise, and there's no reason why you can't integrate them (or anything else) into your normal weights routine if the BBW isn't floating your boat. :)  Of course the advantage of the BBW routine is that you don't even need to go to the gym and you can do it when ever you feel like it.  Do whatever works for you personally. :encouragement: 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously