Getting a Cardio-machine?

I was thinking about getting a cardio-machine. My parents have a stationary bike which I could use while watching TV, that was perfect for me. But now, in a place of my own, space is very limited. I could get a cross-trainer from my grandparents, but there's simply no room for it.

Question is, is there something actually useful in smaller sizes that I could fit under a table or in a cupboard when I'm not using it? Like those little stepper-thingies, are they actually any good? Or another alternative for doing sports while watching TV?

I have considered alternatives. Unfortunately I never really got into running, and I'm afraid it also doesn't quite agree with my knees. They always end up hurting. Maybe arthritis, it's running in my family...

I also don't want to bike to work and all that because I'm terrified of anything on the road that's bigger than me. With me on a bike that would be literally anything. I don't trust the traffic in my city, I even hate driving a car here.

Thanks for your help!

13 hours ago, MissCurlyFrog said:

I have considered alternatives. Unfortunately I never really got into running, and I'm afraid it also doesn't quite agree with my knees. They always end up hurting. Maybe arthritis, it's running in my family...

Running discomfort in the knees is often caused by improper form/overstriding/heel striking. As for arthritis, I have arthritic knees. My orthopedist told me the best thing I can do for it is keep running.

On the machine subject, I think many of the rowing machines fold up/collapse down and could go under a table perhaps

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

On 25.4.2017 at 0:20 PM, Dilnad said:

Running discomfort in the knees is often caused by improper form/overstriding/heel striking. As for arthritis, I have arthritic knees. My orthopedist told me the best thing I can do for it is keep running.

On the machine subject, I think many of the rowing machines fold up/collapse down and could go under a table perhaps

Okay, I did not know that. Yeah, I guess my form probably isn't great, I really don't know my way around running and it never felt fun enough to get to know it I suppose... Maybe I'll try it out again though. But a rowing machine also sounds interesting, I'll definitely look into that, thanks :)

On 26.4.2017 at 1:10 PM, Akura said:

What's wrong with walking/hiking? Does this also cause knee problems?

And why do you want to do cardio while watching TV? Is TV that important?

No, it does not. In fact, I walk whenever I can and it is the hiking part I want to train for. I don't want to be out of breath as soon as I so much as glance at the steeper parts of the way, and since my boyfriend wants to get me into the mountains as often as possible there's quite a lot of that. But walking alone doesn't seem to do much for me there, and taking the stairs whenever possible doesn't seem to help much either...

The TV is because I'll watch TV either way, let's be honest here. So why not be productive while doing it, if that's possible? Plus I won't get bored. I never wanted to just use my parents' stationary bike by itself, but with a show or a movie running I was even motivated to stretch and maybe do some other exercises after workouts. 

On 26.4.2017 at 4:49 PM, TheOtherScott said:

I'm going to go off-board here and suggest a kettlebell because that's been my go-to TV workout for about two years now.  Much smaller than any cardio machine, much cheaper, and apart from the grunting, quieter as well.

I'm pretty new to all this, so forgive me if this question sounds stupid, but isn't a kettleball more of a strength-workout? It does sound interesting work-out wise if I'm looking for variety and I might look into it eventually, but it isn't really cardio, is it? (I should probably have mentioned before that I want the machine to train for mountain hikes, my bad...)

On 27.4.2017 at 3:15 AM, SwollPatrol said:

Have you ever tried battle ropes?  Great cardio workout that you can do pretty much anywhere except inside your house lol. I just started using them and love it.  It is way cheaper than buying a cardio machine.  I like to do the battle rope cardio workout and mix in some jump roping as well.  This one is $170

Sounds fun, but the whole point would be doing it in a flat. Plus $170 sounds like quite a lot. I know a website that offers used machines in good condition, those mini-steppers are €10 up and rowing machines approximately €35 up. I'd have to find out whether they're any good, of course, but unless I find *the perfect solution* that I'm willing to pay more for, under €100 would be my price range I suppose...

13 hours ago, emmajohnson3962 said:

Have you thought of using a Maxiclimber. It is pretty small in size and I think should be perfect for your needs.

https://bestbrandshq.com/maxiclimber-reviews/

This looks really interesting, I'll definitely look into that, thanks :)

• Like 1
On 2017-05-02 at 1:54 PM, MissCurlyFrog said:

I'm pretty new to all this, so forgive me if this question sounds stupid, but isn't a kettleball more of a strength-workout? It does sound interesting work-out wise if I'm looking for variety and I might look into it eventually, but it isn't really cardio, is it? (I should probably have mentioned before that I want the machine to train for mountain hikes, my bad...)

You can do strength workouts with a kettlebell, but swinging a kettlebell for high reps will definitely get your heart rate up, and will strengthen a host of muscle groups while doing it.  It's one of those exercises that maybe proves that exercise isn't as simple as strength and cardio.

They're very versatile and even at $2 per pound, still far less than a stationary bike, treadmill, or elliptical trainer.  And they take up very little space.

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

The biggest problem is that if you want it to train for mountain hikes, you're not going to find one that actually trains for that.  The only way to train properly for hiking is to actually hike.

The best indoor alternative you're going to find is a treadmill, other cardio exercises won't utilize the same muscle groups and motion-ranges.  A lot of treadmills these days are compact and can fold away from storage, depending on what you need the weight limit to be.

Fight your foes in the field, nor be burnt in your house.