Let's talk about Loot!

Hello, everyone!

I joined the NF Academy yesterday and am already having a blast working on the Mindset portion. I am at the section "Gimme The Loot!" 
While I completely understand the idea behind giving ourselves healthy loot/rewards, I'm having a difficult time thinking of any.

I did come up with one: If I complete my Epic Quest of reaching over 10,000 steps for the next four weeks, then I get to buy a new pair of running shoes! I currently don't own any, so this is a big deal.

I don't want this to just be suggestions for what my quests' loot should be, but just a fun conversation about the kinds of loot that you've given yourselves in the past. What are some fun or interesting things you all have come up with? 

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/190824
This is my character, so you all can see my Epic Quests. The "4WC" are the ones I specifically set for the 4 Week Challenge. The others are just things I want to do. If you do think of any that would work well with these, then I'd love to hear it!

• Like 2

I'm not a member of the academy, but definitely support the idea of healthy rewards. I'm similar to your initial thought in the way I reward myself.

Lose weight - reward myself with new clothes. It keeps me from sliding back on old habits ("Look at all that extra space in my wasteband!" Isn't a very valid excuse if you eliminate the space!)Doing well at exercise goals, reward myself with new workout gear.

Aside from that I've also looked at other rewards to help support or reinforce my goals - food scales and travel containers to help with portion control... paid activities (like skiing or trying a new workout class), you name it. 

Oh! And now I'm also reminded, I had a whole string of rewards lined up to pack up a nice bug-out bag! That one was fun.

• Like 1

FireandLight

Ranger | Level 2 

Current Challenge | Challenge TrackerProfile and Epic Quest

Height: 5' 5" | Weight: 156 | Body Fat: 27.4%

Fancy tea,  fun t- shirts, a fitbit as a big reward. I also do treat myself ones, like time spent reading a fun book in the afternoon. Foam rollers, yoga mat, new Kettlebells, fun socks.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'm a big fan of Under Armour's Alter Ego line.  I get to wear them as my undershirts at work, then pull a Superman to get ready for my workout.

• Like 4

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I like to get stuff somewhat unrelated to fitness and the goals I'm setting, because that way I can reinforce the idea that taking care of myself translates to happiness in other areas of my life as well. 

I keep a list of "big" purchases that I want to make (for me anything more than about $25, but usually closer to the $70-$120 range) -- only for nonessentials, things I won't use every day. I tend to have a problem with impulse-buying, so I set limits on myself and just write things down when I want them instead of buying them in the moment. I keep a master list somewhere safe and jot notes down wherever, and when I consolidate I get the opportunity to see if I still want what's already on the list. (Sometimes I don't and then I get to skip spending money on it!) 

Anything that stays on the list for more than a month can become loot! Everything from nice linen handkerchiefs to video games to a special pair of shoes or a trip to the aquarium has made it to my loot list. This practice is also really helpful if you tend to offer people blank looks around birthdays and holiday gift-giving season when asked what you want. 

• Like 5

I love cookbooks myself, not that I need any more of the things, but there's always something that looks really good that I just can't live without.  I can't afford to waste money buying them as and when so getting them as a reward works for me.  

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

1 hour ago, Guzzi said:

I love cookbooks myself, not that I need any more of the things, but there's always something that looks really good that I just can't live without.  I can't afford to waste money buying them as and when so getting them as a reward works for me.  

Guzzi makes a great point with this. I see a lot of people selecting a "category" of items -- things they like to buy a little too much, so they set restrictions on the conditions in which they can make the purchase -- for their pool of loot. Fitness gear is a REALLY common one you see around here, but cookbooks are a great example. Anything you're collecting would work, as would video games, series of things (books, television, movies, etc), decor, craft stuff if you're crafty (it adds up quick!), board games. 

• Like 2