Bringing the Rebellion to Salt Lake City

Hey there everyone!

My name's Drew (alter ego is Derek Wolfe - feel free to call me whichever you like).  The first I remember hearing about the Rebellion was when I was scrolling through my Facebook feed, and I saw a Nerd Fitness post.  I was looking over their page and started thinking, This is pretty cool.  I think I'll like this page.  When I scrolled to the top of the page to do so, I realized I had already liked it at some point before, which is how the post showed up in my feed in the first place.  So when did I first hear of Nerd Fitness and leveling up your life?  It remains a mystery.

Either way, I started paying attention to the company almost immediately, and recently read Steve's book, Level Up Your Life.  I've never been much of a gamer, but I am a book and movie nerd (Harry Potter is one of my all time favourite series), and the concept instantly impressed and inspired me.  I instantly started paying more attention to the Rebellion, and a little over a week ago, I finally signed up for the Nerd Fitness Academy.  I have already told numerous friends, family, and coworkers about the company and concept, and have started loaning my copy of Steve's book out.  Great idea, and it has already had a big impact on me.

As for who I am - I'm a military brat who grew up all over the country (also lived in South Korea for a couple years).  After living in the St. Louis area for the longest time, that is where I now consider home, but almost four years ago, I moved from there to Salt Lake City.  My hobbies include travel, reading, cooking, eating, knitting, spending time with friends and family, watching sports, TV/movies, and more.  I am also a Christian, and I would be remiss if I did not mention my interest in Germany - the country, its language, culture, and people.  For as long as I can remember, I always wanted to be fluent in another language (I blame this on being born in very close proximity to French-speaking Canada).  When I was getting ready to start high school, I was planning on taking French, since I had taken some in middle school, but one of my major goals was to go on an exchange program, and at my school, German was the only language that offered an exchange trip.  At the time, I wasn't really all that interested in Germany, but I figured German exchange was better than no exchange.  During the summer between my junior and senior years, I went on the exchange trip from my high school to Germany, and I came to love it so much that I majored in the language in college, went on to teach high school German for four years, and now travel back as often as I find opportunity.

I do also want to travel and visit other places as well - especially the UK and Australia, not to mention all over the US and Canada.  Germany will always be an influential part of my life though.

I'm excited to be here and get to know all of you!  For the Rebellion!

Derek Wolfe

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Hey!  Welcome to NF, how have you found the accadamy?  I've never tried it myself but lots of people say good things about it. 

Hi Guzzi!  Thank you for the welcome!  So far I love the Academy. :-)  The focus on taking small steps in order to form habits and make lifestyle changes, not just do a fad diet or exercise program, is the approach I have been wanting and needing.  I'm not eating the best yet, but I am getting there.  Also, I have done exercise programs in the past where I thought it was just about going to kill me, and I gave up before really getting off the ground.  Of course there will always be days when you don't feel up to it, but since these exercises and activities are on my level, that kills a lot of excuses before I even have a chance to form them.  Do I feel like going out and walking five minutes?  No, not always (yes, I know that sounds pathetic).  All the same, it's only five minutes, so I can do this.

There are also days when I feel like, "I can handle more than this!"  At the same time, I have done a very poor job of caring for my health over the last several years.  I do not want to overextend myself - which can result in injury and/or giving up because forming the habit seems too difficult.  I have chosen to trust the Academy as my Jedi master, so to speak, and follow their instructions as closely as possible.  So far, they have not steered me wrong. :-)

Nice meeting you Guzzi!  I hope to see you around the boards more!

• Like 1

What you've just said rings true for sooo many people!  I'm really glad you've found this place and the accademy, I think you will enjoy being a part of this community.  You should check out the 4 Week Challenges too, they work on the same principle. Plus they're great for getting to know other members.  

16 hours ago, drewr1982 said:

Nice meeting you Guzzi!  I hope to see you around the boards more!

Ha!  You may live to regret that!  You haven't seen how much I post :D:D:D 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

8 hours ago, Guzzi said:

What you've just said rings true for sooo many people!  I'm really glad you've found this place and the accademy, I think you will enjoy being a part of this community.  You should check out the 4 Week Challenges too, they work on the same principle. Plus they're great for getting to know other members.  

Ha!  You may live to regret that!  You haven't seen how much I post  

Hahaha!  In the words of Will Turner, "I will accept the consequences of my actions."

• Like 1