Derek Wolfe's Food Log

Hey everyone!

One of my tasks in the Academy this week is to look over the NF Nutrition Module.  I did...and am quite sad to say that I am somewhere around a 1 or 2.  For the sake of easing my way into things, I am going to claim Level 1, and begin my food log here and now.  After I have done that for two weeks, then I am allowed to level up to 2.  Since it will probably be pretty inconvenient to login all the time, I will just make sure that I update it on a daily basis.

For the Rebellion!

Derek Wolfe

Today I had:

• Two servings of cucumber salad
  • Jambalaya
  • Banana
  • Two cups of coffee with CoffeeMate
  • One cup of black coffee
  • Small glass orange juice
  • Four strips bacon
  • Two eggs, sunny side up
  • Two slices of sourdough toast with butter
  • Small Caesar salad
  • 6 oz. filet mignon
  • Broccoli
  • Small personal size loaf of bread with butter
  • Large Shock Top
  • Small popcorn with butter
  • Medium cherry Icee
  • Small piece of cheesecake
  • Handful of sunflower seeds
  • 850 mL water
  • Bowl of ice cream with hard shell
  • Another glass of water
  • Four cups of Oolong tea

Yesterday I had:

• Three cups coffee with Coffeemate
  • Jambalaya
  • Cucumber salad
  • Two slices sourdough toast with strawberry jam
  • Two eggs
  • Sausage
  • Hash browns
  • Cup black coffee
  • 1000 mL + 3 1/2 glasses water
  • Five buffalo wings with ranch
  • Popcorn
  • Asphalt pie
  • Beer
  • Greek yogurt
  • Two fig bars
18 hours ago, BoneRunner said:

Derek, are you finding the academy useful? I haven't joined it yet. Your food log is interesting to me because there's regular food on it. So you're not starting out perfect like others seems to. Thought I was the only normal person around.

Hey man!  So far, yes, I am finding the Academy to be very useful.  I love how the goals are broken down into small manageable ones, everything is explained very clearly and thoroughly, and video demonstrations help a lot.

When it comes to the food on my food log, that has to do with where you are currently at in the Academy.  The Nutrition is broken down into levels, and you determine where you currently are, and then go from there based on the goals you want to reach.  The highest level is ten, but it is stated right there in the nutrition pages that a person should not start at level 10, and it isn't even where a person should live day-to-day - it's more along the lines of how you should eat if you want to get super cut quickly to prepare for a big event - like a wedding or something along those lines.  Otherwise, picking a lower level and living there most days is cool.

As for me, I started at and am still on Level 1.  Keeping this food log is how I am working to level up to 2.  I hope this helps. :-)  Best of luck on your journey man, and feel free to ask me any other questions you may have!

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight Derek. I'm probably gonna join the academy. What's holding you back BoneRunner? Well, I've started things a million times and stopped within days. The longest workout streak I've ever had is 30 days, earlier this year. For logs, I've done My Fitness Pal and My Net Diary (which I find way superior in every way but one). I'll log for a few days, not log for three weeks, and so on. I think the longest I've consistently logged was about four weeks. The appeal of NF is the slow, tiny steps that essentially trick you into long term changes because you didn't notice them. I'm on board with that. But there's a lot of emphasis on the paleo way of eating and despite a horrifying article I just read about grains poking holes in your intestines, I find it unrealistic to give them up entirely. And I'm way more comfortable doing weight machine things at a gym than trying to do household body weight exercises. With the anti-gym philosophy of NF, it's unclear if there are instructions for people who actually want to go to a gym.

In summary: I always give up before I see results because I assume there won't be any, paleo is scary, and I want to do a machine workout

Okay, well my reply will probably make it sound like NF is paying me to advertise for them.  I assure you, they aren't.  I simply believe in their philosophy, and have decided to trust them for the time being to see how the results come about.  So far, I love it, but if it turns out that the Academy doesn't work out for me, I will go find something else, even though I would be disappointed.  I am a NF convert, but that doesn't mean I won't change my POV with more experience.

With that in mind, I think a lot of what you mention is addressed by NF's focus on beginning with the mental aspect of things.  The very first module that you start working on in the Academy is Mental, since it is important to start forming the right mindset before other things will come together.  In a nutshell, it requires the formation of habits, which are much more important and powerful than finding regular motivation and inspiration.  The regular formation of these habits results in discipline to keep going.

When it comes to the paleo diet, please just realise that they are not hard line on this, unless you decide to go balls to the wall at Level 10.  Like I said, their Nutrition module is tiered, and even Steve mentions there that he tries to live his life around Level 7, not 10.  When trying to form certain habits, yes, the quests may very well say "don't do this at all for this period of time", but it's not permanent by any means.  For one of my current quests, I am not drinking any liquid calories.  Does this mean that I will never have another beer?  No, but while I am working on this quest for the purpose of forming the habit of avoiding liquid calories, I am choosing to abstain altogether temporarily (for 30 days).  It's the same with all of the different Nutrition levels - certain ones are more hard line than others.  At the same time, if you have some bread with dinner once every week, this isn't going to ruin the diet.  Rebels simply choose to enjoy a less healthy food we like during one meal, and then at the next meal go right back to the diet we typically eat.

When it comes to workouts, they do often focus on bodyweight, but they also have gym workouts available too.  If you start out at levels 1 or 2, those are entirely bodyweight workouts.  If you do level 3 or beyond, however, there is always a gym option as well, so it's up to you.

Even though it doesn't go into detail about their recommended workouts or nutrition guide, if you are considering doing it but not sure just yet, I would highly recommend reading Steve's book Level Up Your Life.  I just finished it a few weeks ago, and it challenged me, got me excited, and helped me see the possibilities more.  The hardcover is less than $9 from Amazon.  In my opinion, that's way undervalued, but if you can get gold for the price of pennies, why not? :-)

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions man!  Rebels are here to build each other up, so I'd love to help you out in any way I can! :-)

Woohoo!  Last day of logging all of my food, and I get to level up to Nutrition Level 2!  Yesterday I had:

• Apple with peanut butter, cinnamon and honey
  • Two servings beef roast
  • Two servings cucumber kimchi
  • Four cups black coffee
  • Jalapeno cheddar Cheetos
  • Three litres water
  • Greek yogurt
  • Chips with nasty ass cheese dip
  • Skittles