• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Briniel

Briniel builds habits from the ground up

If you're looking for a fancy, themed, gif-ified challenge with a detailed backstory, rpg-elements and fancy spreadsheets, this is not it. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just don't have the time or the energy to set something up right now. So this will be just me trying to get back into habits while still settling in with a new job, working full-time for the first time in my life. But maybe, not having energy or time to set up anything big isn't such a bad thing. Maybe that way I won't fall into the trap of taking on too much, too fast and reign in that rangerbrain of mine. I just read this lovely article on habit-making (thanks to Karina from the Academy for posting this) and will use the remainder of this challenge to take a good look at my habit tracker to see which habit(s) already stick and which one I might tackle next challenge. The list currently consists of 15 things that I'd eventually like to do daily, some of them linked to each other. I've been using these trackers for a long while now, but never actually got to the point where a habit is so consistent and set into my mind that I don't have to think about doing it anymore. None of these things have actually become a habit. So to change that, I'll focus on one small change at a time. If I succeed, a year from now all of these things will be consistent habits that are just part of my daily routine (sound familiar, NTB?). That'd be pretty awesome, right? The list goes like this:

• drink more than 2.4l
  • do not drink my calories
  • have 3 healthy meals (healthy = no refined sugar, no white wheat flour, whole grain whenever possible, no processed foods whenever possible)
  • have healthy snacks only
  • eat 3 portions of freggies
  • take the stairs instead of escalators or elevators
  • do yoga in the morning (= before noon)
  • do a set of NF yoga wrist exercises
  • entertain the cats (play, clicker train, cuddle)
  • enjoy the outsides (= be outside for the sake of being outside. Going somewhere on the bike doesn't count.)
  • call or write 2 different people
  • update my NF challenge post and comment on 2 more
  • brush teeth twice and floss once
  • put away worn clothes before going to bed
  • do two housekeeping chores and the daily tasks (there's a seperate tracker for that in my kitchen)

Any time-sensitive item will start with a goal of 5 minutes and I'll slowly add to this. The one habit that I'm going to start building today is tracking these things every day. If by the end of the challenge any of these already stick, great. If not, no biggie. I'll decide on one additional habit to focus on next challenge. Probably the one with the least amount of misses. Got to be gentle with my under-used habit-muscles ;) I will use the next three weeks to build the foundation on which to build my future habits.

That's the theory. I know this is the sensible way to do this and I really think it can work, but at the same time I have to really reign down my rangerbrain. I feel like this is too little, too easy and I am already two steps ahead of myself. And what if this doesn't work, either!? What else could I try then? Then again, ticking off squares in my habit tracker everyday is definitely something I can do. Like... it feels tacky. Like it's not even worth my effort. Gah, my brain is stupid sometimes! But I'm willing to slow down and give this a try. Because considering how tired I am after a work day, going back at it with full speed is just not going to work. I'll start small, build one habit until it doesn't take as much effort anymore, then start the next. Slow and steady. Wish me luck :)

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Briniel said:

That's the theory. I know this is the sensible way to do this and I really think it can work, but at the same time I have to really reign down my rangerbrain. I feel like this is too little, too easy and I am already two steps ahead of myself. And what if this doesn't work, either!? What else could I try then? Then again, ticking off squares in my habit tracker everyday is definitely something I can do. Like... it feels tacky. Like it's not even worth my effort. Gah, my brain is stupid sometimes! But I'm willing to slow down and give this a try. Because considering how tired I am after a work day, going back at it with full speed is just not going to work. I'll start small, build one habit until it doesn't take as much effort anymore, then start the next. Slow and steady. Wish me luck :)

Honestly, I think this is the best way to do this. You had a HUGE change in your life by starting a new job. It is the best thing you can do right now to see what is working and what may need reminders for or some tweaks. I think your goals are a good list of things to start on and that you will get there. You are right this could take a year to get them all, but by trying to do too much too fast right now, you are going to faceplant and then decide it will never happen. start small, but you will get there. I am following to see how you do. I know you got this, but good luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Honestly, I think this is the best way to do this. You had a HUGE change in your life by starting a new job. It is the best thing you can do right now to see what is working and what may need reminders for or some tweaks. I think your goals are a good list of things to start on and that you will get there. You are right this could take a year to get them all, but by trying to do too much too fast right now, you are going to faceplant and then decide it will never happen. start small, but you will get there. I am following to see how you do. I know you got this, but good luck.

Thank you. I do feel this is the best way to go (or I wouldn't be doing it ;) ), but it's still difficult to get into that mindset.

2 hours ago, fleaball said:

Following now, reading later. <3

<3333 I really got to catch up on how you've been doing!

Just now, Dagger said:

Following now, read now despite the fact that I should have been cleaning. <3 (Yes, totally patterned Flea.)

Haha, glad to have you following along. Now go and get that cleaning done :P

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Briniel said:

Haha, glad to have you following along. Now go and get that cleaning done :P

All done for today, which was about half the house. Tomorrow morning I do the other half.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Briniel said:

Thank you. I do feel this is the best way to go (or I wouldn't be doing it ;) ), but it's still difficult to get into that mindset.

It can be very difficult to get into the mindset where we are not just "I Can fix it all right now". I still do it and I know that this challenge is not the one to make big changes since my entire routine is swapping from school to summer mid challenge. I do get it. Hopefully you will see some real progress by just seeing what you really are or are not doing. Good luck

20 hours ago, Briniel said:

If I succeed, a year from now all of these things will be consistent habits that are just part of my daily routine (sound familiar, NTB?).

:D

I'm so here for this! Habits! Woo! 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dagger said:

All done for today, which was about half the house. Tomorrow morning I do the other half.

woot!!!

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

It can be very difficult to get into the mindset where we are not just "I Can fix it all right now". I still do it and I know that this challenge is not the one to make big changes since my entire routine is swapping from school to summer mid challenge. I do get it. Hopefully you will see some real progress by just seeing what you really are or are not doing. Good luck

Thank you <3

3 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

:D

I'm so here for this! Habits! Woo! 

Wooooo!!! I'm doing the thing! (notice the singular there? ;) )

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Briniel said:

<3333 I really got to catch up on how you've been doing!

My thread is at like 14 pages right now. Here's a summary: 2 pages of plant puns at the beginning, 3 solid pages of freaking out mixed with "ugh, homework" in the back half, and the most recent page is "I freaked out for nothing and also ugh, homework." I don't think anything interesting happened in the middle. There, you're caught up! Lol 

I still have to read your first post and will probably do it tonight when most of the "ugh, homework" is over. :(

• Like 2

I like that you are focusing on the basics. I feel like sometimes we get carried away trying to do all kinds of things when taking a step back and regrouping at the fundamentals can be very helpful.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Briniel said:

Plant puns? I gotta see this... :D

(Also, go do your homework. Despite the ughs. This, too, shall pass.)

Ughs are gone! First post is read! Rooting for you!

also I think you should post pictures of your cats. That should be mandatory for everyone, actually. 

• Like 2

On 3.5.2017 at 5:41 PM, fleaball said:

Ughs are gone! First post is read! Rooting for you!

also I think you should post pictures of your cats. That should be mandatory for everyone, actually. 

I will when I'm back from my weekend trip with the choir. Leaving today after work and a bit stressed out because I spent the evening yesterday trying to figure out how to get there with public transportation since everyone else leaves earlier than me. Ah, the joys of  college life, to be able to skip any class and lecture without anyone noticing (or caring).

Anyways, I just wanted to drop by with a short update with how I've been doing. This week has been really stressfull at work, with a solid 10 hour shift yesterday and lots of things not working out the way the should have. It was a four-day-week since monday was a bank holiday, but it sure doesn't feel like it. Still, I managed to get a full score on 6 of my habits without even trying (much).

Candidates for "hey, I'm already doing those!":

• not drinking my calories
  • having healthy snacks only (though that cherry pie at work yesterday looked so tempting...)
  • taking the stairs only
  • morning yoga
  • wirst exercises
  • brushing my teeth and flossing in the evening

I also added the habit of doing calf raises while brushing my teeth. It just happened. I had studied my list and found that there's really not enough exercise related stuff on there for my liking, and the idea just popped into my head to do calf raises while brushing my teeth, or 10 squats before using the toilet or 10 incline push ups on the kitchen counter whenever I go there or something like that. And suddenly, when brushing my teeth, I though "hey, I might as well do those calf raises" and I did. They suck. But I did them :D I didn't do the other stuff but I'm not stressing out about it. Maybe I will do them later on, maybe I won't. Right now I'm trying to get in the mood for the weekend and not let the work stress get to me too much. With the prospect of a day with 5 one hour appointments in a row with no lunch break in between we'll see how that goes ;)

• Like 6

On 5/5/2017 at 0:38 AM, Briniel said:

I will when I'm back from my weekend trip with the choir. Leaving today after work and a bit stressed out because I spent the evening yesterday trying to figure out how to get there with public transportation since everyone else leaves earlier than me. Ah, the joys of  college life, to be able to skip any class and lecture without anyone noticing (or caring).

Anyways, I just wanted to drop by with a short update with how I've been doing. This week has been really stressfull at work, with a solid 10 hour shift yesterday and lots of things not working out the way the should have. It was a four-day-week since monday was a bank holiday, but it sure doesn't feel like it. Still, I managed to get a full score on 6 of my habits without even trying (much).

Candidates for "hey, I'm already doing those!":

• not drinking my calories
  • having healthy snacks only (though that cherry pie at work yesterday looked so tempting...)
  • taking the stairs only
  • morning yoga
  • wirst exercises
  • brushing my teeth and flossing in the evening

I also added the habit of doing calf raises while brushing my teeth. It just happened. I had studied my list and found that there's really not enough exercise related stuff on there for my liking, and the idea just popped into my head to do calf raises while brushing my teeth, or 10 squats before using the toilet or 10 incline push ups on the kitchen counter whenever I go there or something like that. And suddenly, when brushing my teeth, I though "hey, I might as well do those calf raises" and I did. They suck. But I did them :D I didn't do the other stuff but I'm not stressing out about it. Maybe I will do them later on, maybe I won't. Right now I'm trying to get in the mood for the weekend and not let the work stress get to me too much. With the prospect of a day with 5 one hour appointments in a row with no lunch break in between we'll see how that goes ;)

hopefully you are having fun with the choir this weekend. Great job keeping up with your habits and your doding great. And adding the calf raises is a great way to throw in some extra exercise.  You can always add a bit more exercise on the next challenge. Have a good time this weekend

I did have fun, even if it was demanding and tiring. And recently,I'm not that energized to begin with ;)

Saturday saw me having some not so healthy snacks - I had planned to drive back in the afternoon because my boyfriend and I had concert tickets in the evening. I was not going to go back home in between so I knew there would not be any food between noon and 11pm. I was hoping to find some somewhat healthy options at the train station if there was enough time between arrival and departure (which there wasn't). And right when we were about to leave, they brought the cake. And it was delicious :D

Anyways, as of right now, I have 5 habits that I'm continually doing, which is pretty awesome.

I didn't drink any calories last week. I mostly drink water and if I'm in the mood for some flavor, I drink tea. I haven't yet stepped into any hot-chocolate-cravings and I'm not even sure whether I'd want to forego that at all times, but right now, I'm good.

I took the stairs instead of elevators and escalators all the time. I had to catch myself one or two times when my mind wandered, but I'm really proud of this one, especially considering the 6th floor I work on. Music helps.

I did yoga and wrist exercises every single morning. On saturday, this was my view:

large.5910b5f50b49c_IMG_20170506_0806381

I'm really, really happy that I managed to stick to this for a whole week, even when pressed for time. Yoga has truly become a habit for me, something that's important and just a part of my morning routine, that I'm not willing to skip. And since I always just stick the wrist exercises at the end of my yoga, I always get in those, too :)

The last habit that stuck for a week is brushing my teeth, flossing and doing calf-raises. Well, the calf-raises only stuck at home, while I was away, I completely forgot about them, but that's okay ;) Basic conditioning knowledge: you have to re-train the behaviour whenever you switch environments. So I'll give myself a pass for this one. Anyways, flossing has become much easier and quicker now that I do it regularly and I kinda can't wait for my next dentist appointment to see whether he notices any difference. Which is kinda weird, but hey.

Anyways, my goal for next week is simply to keep to these five habits and make sure they really stick. If I can also tackle the next one (putting away my clothes every evening), that's great, but I won't be mad if I can't. Slow and steady.

small.5910b75fd4d01_IMG_20170506_0825202

And since somebody (*cough* @fleaball *cough*) demanded cat pictures...

medium.IMG-20140211-WA0005.jpg.c19299003

medium.IMG-20140211-WA0006.jpg.d905326fe

medium.20140917_172710.jpg.0ecd4a5a6e8d9

medium.20140917_172218.jpg.84cb1bc99f2af

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Briniel said:

I did have fun, even if it was demanding and tiring. And recently,I'm not that energized to begin with ;)

Saturday saw me having some not so healthy snacks - I had planned to drive back in the afternoon because my boyfriend and I had concert tickets in the evening. I was not going to go back home in between so I knew there would not be any food between noon and 11pm. I was hoping to find some somewhat healthy options at the train station if there was enough time between arrival and departure (which there wasn't). And right when we were about to leave, they brought the cake. And it was delicious :D

Anyways, as of right now, I have 5 habits that I'm continually doing, which is pretty awesome.

I didn't drink any calories last week. I mostly drink water and if I'm in the mood for some flavor, I drink tea. I haven't yet stepped into any hot-chocolate-cravings and I'm not even sure whether I'd want to forego that at all times, but right now, I'm good.

I took the stairs instead of elevators and escalators all the time. I had to catch myself one or two times when my mind wandered, but I'm really proud of this one, especially considering the 6th floor I work on. Music helps.

I did yoga and wrist exercises every single morning. On saturday, this was my view:

I'm really, really happy that I managed to stick to this for a whole week, even when pressed for time. Yoga has truly become a habit for me, something that's important and just a part of my morning routine, that I'm not willing to skip. And since I always just stick the wrist exercises at the end of my yoga, I always get in those, too :)

The last habit that stuck for a week is brushing my teeth, flossing and doing calf-raises. Well, the calf-raises only stuck at home, while I was away, I completely forgot about them, but that's okay ;) Basic conditioning knowledge: you have to re-train the behaviour whenever you switch environments. So I'll give myself a pass for this one. Anyways, flossing has become much easier and quicker now that I do it regularly and I kinda can't wait for my next dentist appointment to see whether he notices any difference. Which is kinda weird, but hey.

Anyways, my goal for next week is simply to keep to these five habits and make sure they really stick. If I can also tackle the next one (putting away my clothes every evening), that's great, but I won't be mad if I can't. Slow and steady.

And since somebody (*cough* @fleaball *cough*) demanded cat pictures...

First off, pretty kitties.

Congrats on the 5 habits. You are right, starting slow and steady will get you there eventually. I am glad you had a good trip even if it wore you out, Trips can be like that but it sounds like you still did really good considering how out of routine you are.

It sounds like you are doing well. Keep it up

• Like 2

On 2017-05-08 at 3:26 PM, Briniel said:

That is super awesome! You're working on a great foundation there :)

f90b6afc3418bb5bff05b99433a8e98c.jpg

On 2017-05-08 at 3:26 PM, Briniel said:

Slow and steady sounds like the way to go, and maintaining those 5 habits will hopefully make them second nature so that you can then use energy to add to your habit set. But slow and steady, a little at a time. :)

6459417141_85a4b3b9e6.jpg%2080842f838432e3255fae9312089a49a3.jpgb65a6be3d9c595f7c8988d9744657f10.jpg

Man snails are so photogenic.

• Like 4