Hey nerds!  

I joined quite some time ago but never got around to posting! Life exploded, and here I am now, going through a divorce that I never thought I'd go through and trying to recover from intense depression. I've been making good but very painful changes in my life, and to reach the next level now it's time to change my health habits. Physically I'm perfectly capable, but emotionally I've been in a bad way for a long time, and haven't had the slightest desire to even worry about health. Now I'm trying to step it up and create new hope and a new life for myself. I'm in uncharted territory, and I have no idea where I'm going. All I know is, I want to be the best me. I have no idea what I'm doing. I've been pretty broken in every way. Now I want to be rebuilt into something stronger. 

I chose Toph as my inspiration because, for you Avatar nerds, she's technically a person with a disability, but you never remember it because she's so freaking bada**. Instead of being defeated by her challenges, she becomes greater than she could have been without them. And that's my quest too. I've been so down for a long time, and currently my health goals are simply to exercise 5 days/week- basic bodyweight training 3x/week and any exercise any other days- and to be mindful of what and when I'm eating. That's it for now! I also don't mind rediscovering a little of my own nerdiness, which has been dormant for a long time. I want to rediscover and fall in love with myself and this world again. I'm taking baby steps.

So hi, hope I'll see some of you around and we can level up together. :)

• Like 4

"It matters not how strait the gate; how charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate; I am the Captain of my Soul."

"Invictus"- William Ernest Henley

On 5/3/2017 at 10:23 PM, TophGal said:

I'm in uncharted territory, and I have no idea where I'm going.  

Welcome to the club!

I've been in a similar emotional place and know how hard it can be to move forward with so much uncertainty.  Good luck to you and keep pressing forward one footstep at a time.  Heaven knows sometimes it seems like one footstep is all already pushing the limits.

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Welcome to the club!

I've been in a similar emotional place and know how hard it can be to move forward with so much uncertainty.  Good luck to you and keep pressing forward one footstep at a time.  Heaven knows sometimes it seems like one footstep is all already pushing the limits.

I appreciate the validation! It really is a tough place to be in, and it's true that each little baby step already seems like SO MUCH right now. I'm pretty much at my personal rock bottom in a lot of ways. I don't want to be a whiner, but I also don't feel like there's a way I can separate my physical goals from my emotional state. They're all tied together in a big jumble right now. I'm a lover and a fighter by nature, and the love is broken and the fight is just a tiny spark. But someday it'll be like an explosion, like the song. Good luck to you too, and hopefully you're not down in that place anymore! :) 

Took me a while, but thankfully I was able to free myself from that place.  I do have to watch my back, though, because it tries to creep up on me every once in while.

As long as you keep moving, no matter how slowly, you will make it out as well!

• Like 1

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 2017-05-03 at 8:23 AM, TophGal said:

I want to rediscover and fall in love with myself and this world again. I'm taking baby steps.

This is what I think most of us are here for. It's tough taking the steps you've taken so far! But you did. And now you're here and we can support you. It gets better from here on. Welcome!

16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Took me a while, but thankfully I was able to free myself from that place.  I do have to watch my back, though, because it tries to creep up on me every once in while.

As long as you keep moving, no matter how slowly, you will make it out as well!

That gives me hope! I expect that like a Morgul blade, some things will never fully heal, but I'd like to make it to the Shire to enjoy the sunlight more.

Eh, it's a nerd forum- I'm going to go ahead and milk it. My inner nerd has been dead for a long time and it feels good to make contact again. :D 

15 hours ago, Lorcan said:

This is what I think most of us are here for. It's tough taking the steps you've taken so far! But you did. And now you're here and we can support you. It gets better from here on. Welcome!

Thank you! Honestly I feel so enthused at these responses. It's a pleasure to be with such down to earth people! 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TophGal said:

That gives me hope! I expect that like a Morgul blade, some things will never fully heal, but I'd like to make it to the Shire to enjoy the sunlight more.

Eh, it's a nerd forum- I'm going to go ahead and milk it. My inner nerd has been dead for a long time and it feels good to make contact again. :D 

Awesome!  I was thinking about this conversation this morning and in my mind was also making a similar LOTR comparison.

For me it was like being chased by the Nazgul after having been stabbed with that Morgul blade.  With a lot of help from great friends I was able to make it to Rivendel (even when I had to dragged or carried) and beat back the Nazgul.  After taking enough time to recover, I was able to venture back out on my quest.  Eventually I added a woman (she is no Man!) and a halfling to the fellowship.  With them watching my back against the Nazgul, I can move forward, level up and take the fight to the orc hordes.

Level 2 Ninja

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Awesome!  I was thinking about this conversation this morning and in my mind was also making a similar LOTR comparison.

For me it was like being chased by the Nazgul after having been stabbed with that Morgul blade.  With a lot of help from great friends I was able to make it to Rivendel (even when I had to dragged or carried) and beat back the Nazgul.  After taking enough time to recover, I was able to venture back out on my quest.  Eventually I added a woman (she is no Man!) and a halfling to the fellowship.  With them watching my back against the Nazgul, I can move forward, level up and take the fight to the orc hordes.

Love it!! A totally apt comparison. It's dangerous to go alone!! Still working on building up my Fellowship again. I'd like some time in the Shire, but it's true, those orcs aren't going to kill themselves, so my stay there won't be permanent!

• Like 1

On 03/05/2017 at 3:23 PM, TophGal said:

Hey nerds!  

I joined quite some time ago but never got around to posting! Life exploded, and here I am now, going through a divorce that I never thought I'd go through and trying to recover from intense depression. I've been making good but very painful changes in my life, and to reach the next level now it's time to change my health habits. Physically I'm perfectly capable, but emotionally I've been in a bad way for a long time, and haven't had the slightest desire to even worry about health. Now I'm trying to step it up and create new hope and a new life for myself. I'm in uncharted territory, and I have no idea where I'm going. All I know is, I want to be the best me. I have no idea what I'm doing. I've been pretty broken in every way. Now I want to be rebuilt into something stronger. 

So sorry to hear that you've been in a bad place, I've been there and it ain't nice.  I think you've already made big steps if you are at the point that you actually do care and want to do something about your health and well being.  It's not always going to go the right way or be easy, sometimes you may even find yourself going backwards for a bit, but as long as you just keep going you will find yourself and your happiness again.  

On 03/05/2017 at 3:23 PM, TophGal said:

I've been so down for a long time, and currently my health goals are simply to exercise 5 days/week- basic bodyweight training 3x/week and any exercise any other days- and to be mindful of what and when I'm eating. That's it for now!

You might feel like you're setting the bar low here but in fact exercising 5 days a week is a lot.  You don't want to go in all gung-ho only to find you can't keep it up (and then have to deal with all the negative thoughts/feelings because you think you've "failed").  You also want to give your body time to heal and for muscle to grow, and that happens when you are resting, not when you are working out.  You have probably found this out already but the beginner body workout can seriously kick your butt!  If you are doing that 3 times a week then try to make your other exercise low-impact, walking swimming, yoga (try it, it's really good for you and surprisingly enjoyable) etc.

How have you found the forum so far, have you figured out the Guilds, interested in creating your own Character, creating an Epic Quest?  (it sounds like this stuff might appeal to you)  There's also the 4 Week Challenges which are a great way to accomplish your goals and meet other people/make friends and influence people. ;) 

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help, if there's anything that you want to know/ask.  All the best.

Guzz

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

10 hours ago, Guzzi said:

So sorry to hear that you've been in a bad place, I've been there and it ain't nice.  I think you've already made big steps if you are at the point that you actually do care and want to do something about your health and well being.  It's not always going to go the right way or be easy, sometimes you may even find yourself going backwards for a bit, but as long as you just keep going you will find yourself and your happiness again.  

You might feel like you're setting the bar low here but in fact exercising 5 days a week is a lot.  You don't want to go in all gung-ho only to find you can't keep it up (and then have to deal with all the negative thoughts/feelings because you think you've "failed").  You also want to give your body time to heal and for muscle to grow, and that happens when you are resting, not when you are working out.  You have probably found this out already but the beginner body workout can seriously kick your butt!  If you are doing that 3 times a week then try to make your other exercise low-impact, walking swimming, yoga (try it, it's really good for you and surprisingly enjoyable) etc.

How have you found the forum so far, have you figured out the Guilds, interested in creating your own Character, creating an Epic Quest?  (it sounds like this stuff might appeal to you)  There's also the 4 Week Challenges which are a great way to accomplish your goals and meet other people/make friends and influence people. ;) 

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help, if there's anything that you want to know/ask.  All the best.

Guzz

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it! And yes, the 5 days thing... That's less and lower than it has been. I used to enjoy exercising quite a bit. I had to talk myself down and realize that if I do a 5 minute stretching routine, that counts as exercise. If I go for a short walk, that counts as exercise. So... that's where I'm at right now. There are no requirements of how hard or how long I have to work, just that I have to do something to MOVE my body! Thanks though- I don't feel like I can push myself too hard right now, but I am trying to push some! 

I haven't checked out the guilds or anything yet, but I might in time! Right now I'm just trying to get in the swing of things here with the battle logs. I am planning on doing a challenge though! Thank you for your help! :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TophGal said:

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it! And yes, the 5 days thing... That's less and lower than it has been. I used to enjoy exercising quite a bit. I had to talk myself down and realize that if I do a 5 minute stretching routine, that counts as exercise. If I go for a short walk, that counts as exercise. So... that's where I'm at right now. There are no requirements of how hard or how long I have to work, just that I have to do something to MOVE my body!

Great attitude!  Exercise is great for your mental health too, which I'm sure you know all about. ;)  The next challenge starts on Sunday 27th May, if you need any help then just shout. :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously