• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

WhiteGhost Sets Off On His First Quest

Hi, just getting things kicked off here at NF with a first quest.  I have read through all of the links so I think I am doing this right; if not, thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Objective 1: Do a muscle up

• I am not even close at this point so world 1-1 for me is building up the progressions.  For now I am working on getting so I can do a chest pull-up, figuring out the kip so I can get my hips to the bar (or close), plyo pullups, bar dips and reverse MUs (not sure what they are called but just going down slowly and trying to keep my form as well as I can).  Run through my routine at least 3x/week

Objective 2: Do a wall climb on a 10ft-ish wall 

• This has a lot of crossover with the MU, but still need to work on some specific progressions.  Keep working on my 3ft wall to build jump/push strength, 5ft wall for the coordination of the push-off at the top and getting my knees over the edge without banging them, and trying to find a 10ft wall to practice wall-runs and ledge grabbing.  Cat grabs are still a mystery to me so trying to figure out the grip so I don't keep falling off backwards every time I try to pull up.  Specific challenge for the next two weeks is to find a high wall to practice on, find a good tutorial for cat grabs and put together a good routine to build up these progressions.

Objective 3: Get started on flexibility

• I have no flexibility.  My initial target is to get so that I can touch my toes without bending my knees and to be able to get both hands and both feet flat on the ground in a squat position.  I need to put together a stretching routine and then stick with it.  This is where I really need the responsibility of reporting back to the group here because I really have a hard time getting myself motivated to stretch because it seems like it is always such a waste of time because I never progress.  I already have a list of good stretches from GMB that I want to work on, but I will commit to do it at least 4x/week.

Objective 4: Get more organized and productive at work

• I am typing this in my office when I should be doing work.  I really need to get more organized and do my work when it is work time and personal stuff when it is personal time instead of letting both merge into one big work-life melange (mishmash?, gallimaufry?).  I have created a daily to-do list but I regularly and consistently fail to update or follow it.  I also need to spend less time surfing my favorite sites at work (and more time surfing at home instead of catching up on work).  Specific challenge is to update my list daily (M-F) and refrain from visiting 1 favorite website from the office each week (cumulative, not just swapping out).

Did I do that right?  Can I also use this same challenge for the upcoming 4WC?

Cheers,

WhiteGhost

• Like 2

Update for my challenge:

Objective 1

• Did my routine 1x of the last 3 days because for 2 days the AQI was over 900.  I did do some pullups and other related exercises (headbangers, typewriters, knee ups) on the chin-up bar in my house the other 2 days, but I don't have the space for the other parts of the routine

Objective 2

• Have not done anything toward this objective besides some plyo pushups.  Air quality was too bad to go out and look for a wall, or even jump up on the low walls around my complex

Objective 3

• 2 of three days of stretching. :)  No progress yet, but I knew going into it that this will be a long-term challenge

Objective 4

• Failure so far.  Did not update my to-do list once and still visited all of my favorite sites:(
  • Like 2

I know the pain of trying to increase your flexibility. Its something I've tried to work on in the past and will work on in future challenges as well. If you find anything that works for you, please share :)

And where the hell in the world do you live that air pollution levels 1) have to be measured and announced and 2) can get that bad that you can't really go outside?

1 hour ago, Kvedulf said:

And where the hell in the world do you live that air pollution levels 1) have to be measured and announced and 2) can get that bad that you can't really go outside?

Actually most cities in the world measure and announce air pollution levels.  AQI in Brisbane right now is 38 and New Auckland is 4 (not sure where you are in Queensland, but that should give you an idea).  Below 50 is usually considered acceptable and anything above 200 is considered to be highly polluted.  Exercising outside at 900+ was a big cup of nope.

I live in Beijing (China) and unfortunately the AQI forecast is way more important than the weather forecast.  We used to get really good 5-day forecasts from the weather bureau but people started complaining that if they could track it that well, why couldn't they do something about fixing it.  Unfortunately (but not surprisingly) the government response was to just stop providing  AQI forecasts :(

Cheers for the info. Did not know about that all. I live about 150km west of Brisbane but livec in Brisbane for about 7 years. Given that air pollution is so low here, no one really thinks of it. But I can imagine how important it would be in places like Beijing. Thanks again :)

Today's update (starting fresh on the counting from Sunday):

Objective 1 - Muscle Up

• Did my routine 0x of the last 2 days.  Sunday was a rest day so I didn't do anything towards my challenge.  I had meetings this morning so I was not able to work out.  I did do some light core and leg work in the evening, but that doesn't count toward my objective

Objective 2 - 10ft Wall Climb

• Did not do anything these 2 days toward this objective

Objective 3 - Stretching

• Nothing on Sunday but did my stretching tonight. 1 for 2

Objective 4 - Work efficiency

• This is a Mon-Fri challenge so I am 1 for 1 on this.  Updated my to do list today, finished most of the tasks I set for today and didn't visit Youtube (my website to avoid in the office this week)  
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 11:14 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Did I do that right?  Can I also use this same challenge for the upcoming 4WC?

Welcome to the party! You can do literally whatever you want for your challenge. 

guidelines.gif

If you want to keep all the same goals for the next challenge and any others, you're more than welcome. If you want to switch it up, go for it. 

4 hours ago, fleaball said:

Welcome to the party! You can do literally whatever you want for your challenge. 

guidelines.gif

If you want to keep all the same goals for the next challenge and any others, you're more than welcome. If you want to switch it up, go for it. 

Got it, thanks!  After looking at other nerds' challenges, I have already formulated and written up my next 4WC. :)

• Like 1

Today's update (counting from Sunday):

Objective 1 - Muscle Up

• Did my routine yesterday, putting me at 1 of my target 3.  I was running low on time so I only did 2 sets of each instead of 3, but the intensity was higher than usual so full credit

• I found a wall!  It isn't ideal (only about 8.5ft tall and 1.5ft wide) but it serves my purpose.  I realized that I severely overestimated my ability to hang from a ledge, so revising down to 5x10 seconds for deadhang and 5x5 seconds for cat hang.  1x of my my weekly target of 2x

Objective 3 - Stretching

• Stretched again last night putting me at 2 of 5 for the week

• Updated my to-do list and stayed off of Youtube yesterday, so technically  I can count a day, but I didn't actually make much progress on some of the projects I should have been doing, so later this week will be crunch time as the deadlines approach. 2 of 5 for the week
  • Like 2

Today's update 

Objective 1 - Muscle Up

• Did my full routine yesterday, putting me at 2 of my target 3.  I was feeling ready to quit after the second circuit, but got a lot of encouragement from some guys who were watching me, so I pushed through the 3rd circuit.  My hands are killing me though. I have two huge blisters, one under each ring finger.  Not sure how I am going to do this tomorrow.

• I didn't work out this morning because I had an early morning job interview.  1x of my my weekly target of 2x

Objective 3 - Stretching

• I didn't stretch last night because I was on back-to-back conference calls until 1am, and didn't stretch the night before either because I got distracted by a bucket of KFC, leaving me at 2 of 5 for the week

• Hit my target Wednesday, but didn't update my to do list yesterday. Not looking likely for today either as I am out of the office all day, so I will probably end up at 2 of 5 for the week
  • Like 1

Today's update 

I had a free morning today because Kidlet (Ghostlet?) had marching band practice so I put on my Batman shirt and did all the things.  Went though both of my routines (MU and wall climb) and then went for a 6km run.  I did my stretching after lunch and then this evening played soccer for an hour.

Final results for the week:

Objective 1 - Muscle Up

• 3 of 3

• 2 of 2

Objective 3 - Stretching

• 3 of 5

• 3 of 5
  • Like 2

Update For Monday 

Sunday was a rest day, so only stretching.  I am off to a slow start this week, and I don't expect it will get much better because I have so much going on work-wise.  I will try to ramp things up for the second half of the week.

Objective 1 - Muscle Up

• Had an early morning meeting so I did not get have time to work out.  0 of 3

• 0 of 3 so far

Objective 3 - Stretching

• I did my stretching on Sunday, but was so tired last night I went to bed early. 1 of 5

• Spent most of my day in various meetings so didn't get around to updating my to-do list, let alone making much progress. 0 of 5
  • Like 1

A bit of a rant today:

I had a 9:30 meeting scheduled for this morning so I send a message to my boss last night to confirm. He tells me that it is moved to 10:30 so I am all excited that I have extra time for a workout this morning. The this morning when I wake up Isee that my boss wants me to prepare some analysis for the meeting so I skip my workout to get that ready. Just after 9am I get on the subway to go to the meeting (1 hour trip) and get a message from the boss asking if I am almost there yet. Confused, I tell him I am on the way and ask him if there is a pressing need to be there early so. He responds that they changed the meeting time back to 9:30 but he forgot to tell me :/  So I end up not only missing the meeting, but skipped my workout for nothing :(  

Because it is a rule if things go wrong they have to go really wrong, I was woken up this morning around 5:30 by a major charlie horse in my left calf.  No idea what caused it (other than maybe a ton of walking the last couple of days), but my leg has been really sore all morning.

results so far this week:

Objective 1 - Muscle Up

• still  0 of 3

• still 0 of 3

Objective 3 - Stretching

• Still 1 of 5

• Still 0 of 5

Not looking like a good week :(  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Nah, you had a couple of rest days. You're ready to hit it hard now.

And boy howdy I hit it!

Did my stretching last night and then this morning did an easy 1.5 mile jaunt over to the park, ran through my MU routine, ran back home and did my wall climb routine.  Oppa OCR style!

Obective 1 - Muscle Up

Spoiler

Eccentric MU x5

Clap pullup x10

Bar dip x10

Knees to bar x10

Clap pushup x10

Headbanger x10

Dragon thrust x10

Pullup ladder/lache x5

Barfees x10

Rinse & repeat 3x

• 1 of 3

Spoiler

Box jump x10

Kong jump x10

Cat leap + hang x10

5ft wall climb x10

Glute/ham raise x25

10ft wall run/grab + hang x10

Barfees x10

Rinse & repeat 2x

• 1 of 3

Objective 3 - Stretching

• 2 of 5

• Still 0 of 5
  • Like 2

Did my wall climb routine this morning but not much of anything else toward my goals

Objective 1 - Muscle Up

• 1 of 3

• 2 of 3

Objective 3 - Stretching

• 2 of 5

• Still 0 of 5
  • Like 1

Did my MU and wall climb routine this morning and did my stretching while watching Ghostlet at football practice.  Finished up the last week of the challenge as below:

Objective 1 - Muscle Up

• 2 of 3

• 3 of 3

Objective 3 - Stretching

• 3 of 5

• 0 of 5

I think I need to either spread my workouts more evenly over the week, or accept that I just won't hit my numbers. By the middle of my workout today I could feel my right trap starting to give out (not in a good way) so I had to drop the reps and intensity and leave out some of the movements altogether :(  

• Like 2

Hey WhiteGhost - you should make a signature and link your challenge thread(s) to it so that other people can find your threads. Had I known you had this, I would have enjoyed following (I only just found it now via your profile).

The air pollution in Beijing sounds crazy, I'm sorry that you have to live in that!

I'll be looking out for your thread next time especially if you'll be working on the muscle-up some more :)

• Like 2

Challenge Post Mortem

Overall it was a good challenge and I feel like I made some good progress.  

Objective 1 - Muscle Up

• My primary objective was to get closer to a muscle up, and I feel I made a lot of progress.  I was able to get my eccentric MUs down almost to shoulder level and my pull-ups almost to the bottom of my neck.  I will continue this for my next challenge

• I bit off a bit more than I could chew on this one.  I feel like I made some good progress and could probably move forward faster to some more advanced progressions if I so desired.  However, given that I am also working on the muscle up, my shoulders can't handle 4-5 days/week of this so for the upcoming challenge I will focus on something else and come back and revisit this one another time

Objective 3 - Stretching

• I have mixed feelings about how this went.  I feel like it has been helpful for the most part.  Even though every time I start stretching I feel like I have lost everything, it takes less and less time to get to where I left off the previous time.  I worry that I am pushing myself a little too hard on some of the stretches, though, because I get unusually sore after some of the stretches and I am afraid I may pull something.  I will continue this for the next challenge but keep it light.

• This one was kind of a wash, but I had a feeling it would be going into it.  To make matters worse, there is a possibility that I may be changing jobs in the next month or so it makes it hard to keep motivated to increase efficiency.  I will change this for something else next challenge
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Hey WhiteGhost - you should make a signature and link your challenge thread(s) to it so that other people can find your threads.

Done, the new challenge is in my signature.  Or you can find it here

• Like 3