• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

My Hands are Killing Me

Kind of the opposite of Westeros where it is usually the hand that gets killed.

So I am working on progressions for the muscle up, which includes a lot more hand movement than just regular pull ups.  Kips, eccentric MUs, plyo pullups, etc. all mean my hands moving around on the bars and now my hands are getting covered in painful callouses.  Back when I worked a shovel for a living, losing callouses was torture because they were the only thing keeping the blisters away but when I look online it seems like all the advice is to cut them off.

Is it really so bad to keep them??  

• Like 1

I have no knowledge regarding the callous cutting question (I can tell you the weightlifters in Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo do it, that's about it), but maybe gloves? I know they make weightlifting gloves, and a muscle up is a type of weight lifting. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I may have to resort to gloves.  I don't like them, though, because I don't feel like I get a very good grip on the bar, and I would prefer not to fall off in the middle of a knee raise :)

Some other ideas I am thinking about are maybe some moleskin or some type of corn bandage.  I am worried they might slip, but worth a shot.

7 hours ago, Machete said:

450x300_Leather%20Hand%20Grips.jpg

It's okay to keep the calluses, but when they do rip it's like 5 days of lost training time.

Are those the things gymnasts use?  I have no idea where I would even go to buy those (or even what they are called). :(

Do you have a pumice stone? I use a pumice stone to keep the callouses from getting too big. And use some good hand ointment specifically for hand care. The one I have now is only a local brand, but it has Shea Butter which is helpful. Burt's Badgers has some good hand cream.

• Like 3

I don't have a pumice stone, but my wife has a bunch of tools that she uses for her feet (even an electrical callous grinder!), and all kinds of lotion.  I tried some of her stuff which worked fine to get rid of the callouses, but the next day I went to work out and the callouses came back even worse (as well as a couple of blisters.  The gloves worked pretty well this morning so I will stick with those for now.

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Are those the things gymnasts use?  I have no idea where I would even go to buy those (or even what they are called). :(

Rogue Fitness has a bunch. I'm sure you could find some at sporting goods stores.

• Like 2

Grips don't actually keep you from getting calluses or rips. They just move where the calluses occur. And you don't need them unless you are working on circle skills because the point of them is to help you get around the bar more easily. You could experiment with tape grips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWxdAEsRsW8 and see if they help relieve some of the pain without making you lose as much grip on the bar as you do with gloves. 

Alternatively, I second Elasticgirl's suggestion of pumicing down the particularly tall or rough areas. You don't need to get rid of the calluses -- you're right that they help protect you! But when you get areas that are REALLY raised, those are more likely to snag and rip open. Also, some people are more prone to calluses than others, but it also can be a sign that you are gripping the bar too hard during your skills. 

Good luck! 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, raptron said:

Grips don't actually keep you from getting calluses or rips. They just move where the calluses occur. And you don't need them unless you are working on circle skills because the point of them is to help you get around the bar more easily. You could experiment with tape grips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWxdAEsRsW8 and see if they help relieve some of the pain without making you lose as much grip on the bar as you do with gloves. 

Alternatively, I second Elasticgirl's suggestion of pumicing down the particularly tall or rough areas. You don't need to get rid of the calluses -- you're right that they help protect you! But when you get areas that are REALLY raised, those are more likely to snag and rip open. Also, some people are more prone to calluses than others, but it also can be a sign that you are gripping the bar too hard during your skills. 

Good luck! 

Thanks for the tip.  My problem isn't about grip, though - I have always been able to get plenty of grip on the bar.  The problem stems from having too much meat on the top of my palms (where the palm meets the fingers).  Whenever I grip the bar, that meat gets squished between the bar and my fingers and as I shift my grip that part comes out of the bind but because of the friction it creates some wicked blisters and callouses.  I am able to control it by shifting my grip towards my fingers most of the time, but when doing plyometrics, I have a much harder time getting a perfect grip when I land back on the bar. 

The gloves help out because they reduce the amount of pinching that happens at the base of my fingers.  I have no idea if the gymnastics grips would help or not, but if the gloves aren't cutting it I may give them a shot.

• Like 1

Yeah I would have insane calluses too. In the beginning though it was very painful and I tried wearing gloves. But I never got that calisthenics feel with gloves on. So I just would workout with calluses on my palms. Over a period of time my palms became extremely accustomed to the bars and I never really needed any gloves. The calluses that came after that were as hard as nails. So I would use a nail clipper to cut them off.  

• Like 1