• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Talos

Talos and the Half-Life Half-Challenge

b0ac1c38c9e5d241526c01565b790fa4.jpg

Heyo. Once again, life conspired to keep me from starting a challenge in timely fashion - first week was a travel time (I went to Philadelphia, and might be the only person to ever accidentally end up at the NFL Draft), and then promptly got sick. So I'm still trying to get my life back to normal whilst coughing my lungs out.

But, y'know, can't let that keep me down. Thus, a half-challenge, loosely inspired by none other than one of the greatest gaming sagas of all time (you know it's true!): Half-Life!

I've been pretty bad at doing complicated goals when my habits and life are off-kilter after my travel times, so this one will be a little less so in the hopes of actually doing the things I said I was planning to do.

Goals for the half-challenge:

- Exercise five days out of the week, even if it's just a short walk. I can work with a short walk, but being sick has made me more likely to just act like a slug.

- Run at least two, preferably three days of those times. Again, still training (or trying to train) for my upcoming Virginia Tough Mudder, and this will be most key to my survival. Some bodyweight training wouldn't go amiss either.

- Go to sleep before 11:00pm. I've been coughing myself awake multiple times the last few nights and it's wreaking havoc on my sleep schedule. Just setting a normal bedtime will hopefully help get things back to the usual as I recover.

Otherwise, I'll just try not to let the headcrabs get me down.

Headcrab.jpg

Bonus goal: Book reports!

- I'm reading a lot of fun books these days (currently a mix of non-fiction and sci-fi). Just for the heck of it, I think I'll include some random thoughts on anything fun that I get into.

• Like 2

Awright. I guess technically my half-challenge wouldn't start until tomorrow (according to my self-imposed rules, I guess?), but today was a solid start. Slept in a little more than I wanted to, but I managed to work some good progress into a busy work day. Got my first run in (2 miles) since being sick, and didn't die - just a bit slow and hard on breath. Not bad overall.

Reading for today was a couple chapters of Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win, specifically chapters on planning and working with different levels of an administrative chain of command. Delightful book.

This may go without saying, but when you read about how Navy SEALs operate, you quickly start noticing how your bureaucracy of choice does not operate as though run by Navy SEALs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fuji_fox said:

Good luck with your goals (and hope you start feeling better)!

Thanks! Doing better today. Coughing has almost gone away (finally!), so for the first time since I got sick I managed to sleep through the night without coughing myself awake. Sleep is nice.

• Like 2

So I totally dropped the ball on updating this. Or doing the current challenge. But I'm not dead or anything; just wanted y'all to know. ;) 

I've actually just been bouncing around a lot trying to figure out my next fitness goals, so hopefully you'll see more of me in the next week or so now that I've made some progress on that. 

• Like 2