• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SymphonicDan

[SymphonicDan] and the huge Barcelona challenge [May 5th onwards]

68 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

And for something completely different: on Monday I made something I'd been meaning to make for nearly two years - a video with different modifications to pull-ups to alter their difficulty. I'm always pretty self-conscious about being on film but I did it anyway. I've put it in a separate thread over here if you want to see it.

Nice video. I was really impressed with how high and fluid your pullups are. You can't be far from a muscle up :)

1 person likes this

On 6/2/2017 at 0:33 AM, MikeWazowski said:

Jumping in on the dancing advice, I get compliments *all the time* dancing Lindy Hop despite not really knowing more than a handful of moves just by leading clearly and connecting to my partner (ballroom skills transfer).

As far as bored girls go, some people have a thinking face and don't realize they have it a they might be enjoying dancing with you but he trying *so hard* to do it right that the thinking face comes out. Or they might've just walked in with an attitude, and there's not much you can do there.

Thanks for the advice :) So basically it's better to focus on the quality of the moves rather than their variety, even though both are important.

I've danced with the thinking-face girls too, but they at least seem to have a connection with me during any easy parts, so they're fine and often fun. Ah well, I guess you're always going to have some people with a sour attitude.

I went back to the bachata class on my last night in Barcelona, and had a good time even though I didn't learn so much in the class. The teacher started with something that didn't use the basic bachata step, which I think confused many people. For the social dancing afterwards I danced with loads of interesting girls - some actually asked to dance with me (unusual but welcome on the Latin scene, especially as I'm not one of the most experienced or attractive) and a couple led me through some different moves themselves, which was cool. One of them told me she had never danced before, and then was super smooth and clearly had a lifetime of experience haha. And one guy brought a friend and asked me to dance with her, maybe because he'd noticed I often danced with beginners.

Overall it was a fun night and now I know what time the places shuts on Wednesday nights :P

Right now, I'm back at home in England, and heading north to Edinburgh tomorrow to spend a few days/weeks. If anyone has any recommendations for Edinburgh, please share :) After that I'll be in Oxford volunteering for a few weeks as a Engineering tutor, and then spending the rest of August somewhere in the UK before heading off on new adventures in September (no idea what yet).

My plans for Edinburgh are:

• get lots of work done on the software projects from this challenge
  • see Scotland for the first time
  • keep some sort of fitness schedule and eat healthily
  • prepare for the Engineering course
  • do more fun things (I'll need to investigate what's available)
2 people like this

I loved walking around the castle and the old city on the rock there, but my favorite part was going north across the Frith of Forth to visit Cowdenbeath, the ancestral home of my paternal grandfather.  I suspect it wouldn't be particularly interesting without the genealogical aspect, though, because there really isn't anything there.

1 person likes this

And so why not do a 15-day mini-challenge while I'm in Edinburgh, much like the Barcelona one, but shorter and less sunny?

I'm using a complicated system for scoring, which I think is clever but maybe you don't want to read that:

Spoiler

Ever used Beeminder? I haven't. But it's an accountability system where you set goals (e.g. work on average 4 hours per day) and if you slide too far under your target then you fail (and you can set it up so you lose actual £$€ if that helps motivate you).

I'm going to use a similar system this challenge. For points, I'll get n points on the nth day if I'm above target on that day. So if I do 5 hours on the first day, 2 on the second, 4 on the third, and 5 on the fourth, then:

• by the first day I've averaged 5 hours (more than 4, so I get my 1 point)
  • by the second day I've averaged 3.5 hours (less than 4, so I don't get the 2 points)
  • by the third day I've averaged 3.7 hours (less than 4, so I don't get the 3 points)
  • by the fourth day I've averaged 4 hours (more than or equal to 4, so I do get the 4 points) (total: 1 + 4 = 5 points)

This is so that I can't give up part-way through the challenge, I get credit for doing extra work, I benefit from doing a small amount of work even if I won't hit 4 hours that day, and if I have a day where I'm going to do lots of non-work things (hike in the countryside! Running tour of the city!) then I can plan around that.

The only problem is if I get off to a bad start, in which case I can reset... so maybe I get 1 + 2 + 0 + 0 + [reset here] 1 + 0 + 3 + 4 + 5 + ... + 11 = 67, which is much better than 1 + 2 + 0 + 0 + [give up] 0 + ... + 0 = 3 with probably no work done in the last 12 days.

Fractional discrete targets round down... e.g. if I have to do work out 60% of the days, then that's 0.6 sessions per day... so by the 3rd day, that's 3 x 0.6 = 1.8 sessions, for which 1 is enough.

Goal #1: work 4 hours per day: on the HyperBirthday website, the C-Train project, and preparing for the Engineering course I'm probably teaching this Summer. Rules as above, but double points because this is important, so maximum score is (1 + 2 + ... + 15) x 2 = 240.

Goal #2: sleep 7.5 hours per day: in Barcelona my biggest problem was sleeping too little and too late, so I'm having an easy goal to fix that. Max score = 120 points.

Goal #3: only one hour of mindless internet per day: because let's be honest, usually I'm mindlessly refreshing pointless stuff on here for most of the day, and it's a shame.

• "How did you spend your 20's Daniel?"
  • "I refreshed Facebook 52,754 times"

So except for the mindless hour, only the following are allowed:

• anything directly related to something on my to-do list (e.g. booking tickets, researching something, working on my website)
  • responding to a notification, e.g. an email
  • NerdFitness :)
  • putting on music

So if I want to do something else, I need to write it down on my to-do list. And if I write "refresh Facebook just in case someone has posted a really inspiring selfie" then I'll feel dumb and realize I should get on with my life instead. Max score = 120 points.

Goal #4: do at least 0.6 social things per day: similar to in Barcelona. I'm not in Edinburgh just to sit in my AirBnB. They have Scottish folk and Latin dancing here (I already checked!) some language and social meet-ups, I have at least one friend here (went out hiking and eating Asian food on Saturday yay), and maybe I meet some other people. Max score = 120 points

Goal #5: do at least 0.6 sporty things per day: this can involve anything focused of 30 minutes or more, a run of 5km or more, etc. Max score = 120 points

Goal #6: eat healthily: I find I no longer need any motivation to do this, so: max score = 0 points :)

Goal #7: get things done: some bonus points for some things I'm trying to achieve:

• go climbing (20 points)
  • sort out syllabus for Engineering course with things I can teach (50 points)
  • have some traffic on HyperBirthday (i.e. not just from me sharing the link!) (40 points)
  • 30 push-ups (10 points)
  • 40 push-ups (10 points)
  • fix HyperBirthday on mobile (30 points)
  • ability to select particular dates on HyperBirthday (30 points)
  • any basic functional version of C-Train (90 points)

In total that's 1000 points available. No stat points available because this isn't a real challenge, just an interim things before the July challenge. I have no idea what a good score is for this... 800 points? 300 points?

1 person likes this

Day number:    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

#1 work goal: ..-....- ...1...2...3..4...5...6....-....8....9..10..11...12........... total: 142 points (N.B. double points)

#2 sleep goal: .1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9..10..11..12..13...14..15..... total: 120 points

#3 internet: .....1....-...1...2...-....1...-....1...-.....1....-....-.....1.....-............ total:     8 points

#4 social goal: 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9....-...11....-...13.....-............ total:   69 points

#5 active goal: -....-....1...2...3...-...1...2....3....4...5....6.....7....-............ total:   35 points

#7 productivity: so far 50 points

TOTAL: so far 423 points (updated day 14)

19 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

which I think is clever

It is indeed. It makes you work everyday and go forward!

• "How did you spend your 20's Daniel?"
  • "I refreshed Facebook 52,754 times"

LOL! Many people could say that...

They have Scottish folk and Latin dancing here (I already checked!) some language and social meet-ups, I have at least one friend here (went out hiking and eating Asian food on Saturday yay), and maybe I meet some other people.

Sounds great!

On 6/10/2017 at 0:13 AM, SymphonicDan said:

Ah well, I guess you're always going to have some people with a sour attitude.

Yeah that's just rude. If they don't want to dance with you they should simply politely decline. They're not doing anyone a favour.

On 6/12/2017 at 7:03 PM, SymphonicDan said:

And if I write "refresh Facebook just in case someone has posted a really inspiring selfie" then I'll feel dumb and realize I should get on with my life instead. 

Haha that does make it sound so much worse. :D I've been considering a semi time out from devices during my 3 week break, but I haven't figured out the details yet. And it's, I hate to admit it, kind of intimidating. Which is a good reason to do it!

Okay, 4 days in and we're making progress!

Goal #1: get work done: failed the first two days, worked a huge amount on day #3 but still behind schedule. So far I've

• Got Google Analytics working on HyperBirthday so I can see what sort of traffic I'm getting. Beforehand, I was using Webalizer, which mostly lists various robots visiting your site, so is almost useless. Plus its interface looks like it's from 1998.
  • Fixed a couple of problems on mobile devices - although there's one big one still to fix
  • Found more celebrations for my Twitter account to tweet. For example, yesterday Bruno Mars - singer of "I wanna be a billionaire...." - was 1 billion seconds old
  • Thought of SEO-friendly article ideas to make the site appear in search rankings
  • Planned a detailed list of items to add in the Engineering courses that I'll be teaching throughout July

One surprising thing is that whenever I take a break for "a few minutes" to eat or whatever, the hiatus always ends up being much longer than expected. One day I was confused to realize that I had only done 40 minutes of work in the past 3 hours :o Even the internet-limiting goal isn't solving this.

Goal #2: sleep 07:30 hours per day: done every day - averaging 07:45 - but I'm still quite tired. I think I haven't been sleeping that well.

Goal #3: only one hour of mindless internet: fine on days 1, 3 and 4, but completely failed day #2. In practice I'm just spending 5 minutes here and there rather than big chunks through the day, which I guess is okay?

Goal #4: 0.6 sporty things per day: the weather in Edinburgh doesn't make we want to go outside, and that's my excuse for doing no sport for the first few days. Yesterday though I took a run down to the local park where the rose garden was closed, but there was an athletics track that seemed fine for just wandering into... so I tried something I've wondered about for a while: running 100m in as few steps as possible. Top sprinters do it in about 40 but obviously they care only about speed and not hopping around like a cartoon character, and I found a guy on YouTube who was very pleased that he could do 39. Well I got it in 39 steps first time, and then when I tried to go faster took 40 but I think my legs were tired... I'll try again another day, because I'm wondering what the best strategy is. I think good athletes must be able to do it easily under 30.

I've also been working on push-ups and I'm up to 25 now, which is not exciting but the best it's been for about a year.

Goal #5: 0.6 social things per day: found a good bachata class (I was looking for salsa for a change, but I'll take what I can find!) and last night went to a ceilidh, so doing well here. I have a diary of lots of other potential things to do, so it's likely I get 120/120 for this :)

Goal #6: healthy eating: all good so far - I'm actually trying an experiment at eating vegetarian for a week (started on Monday). I don't necessarily think it's healthier but was interested to see what difference it makes. So far it means that I choose from menus faster (when 80% is unavailable) and eat more nuts and eggs.

2 people like this

20 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Goal #3: only one hour of mindless internet: fine on days 1, 3 and 4, but completely failed day #2. In practice I'm just spending 5 minutes here and there rather than big chunks through the day, which I guess is okay?

Of course it's ok, there's no one to tell you how much internet time is an ok amount. :) 

From a pure productivity standpoint I personally don't think it matters at all, though you could still ask yourself whether other things like getting a movement or eye break, or drinking some water or getting fresh air or listening to a song wouldn't be more relaxing and/or boost productivity in the long run.

But the bigger question is how you feel about it. Does the mindless time contribute to your life in any way or is it just to fulfil a desire for distraction or the need for constant entertainment boosts? And whether you then mind. :) 

1 person likes this

On 6/18/2017 at 10:50 AM, Mad Hatter said:

From a pure productivity standpoint I personally don't think it matters at all, though you could still ask yourself whether other things like getting a movement or eye break, or drinking some water or getting fresh air or listening to a song wouldn't be more relaxing and/or boost productivity in the long run.

But the bigger question is how you feel about it. Does the mindless time contribute to your life in any way or is it just to fulfil a desire for distraction or the need for constant entertainment boosts? And whether you then mind. :) 

The issue for me is that there is value in random browsing of the internet (indeed that's how I've discovered plenty of cool things in the past) even just for keeping up with friends on Facebook etc., but if left unsupervised (ha) I can end up wasting so much time that way. My brain does occasionally need a break to do easy things, but refreshing the same few sites  or seeking irrelevant information is neither useful or rejuvenating.

Today it's day 9 and things are mostly well :)

Goal #1: get work done: I need to do 5h10 today to catch up, but mostly I've been averaging more than 4 hours per day. Most of the work has been for the Engineering course and exploring the social media side of HyperBirthday, rather than the hard coding, but that's fine too. I'm tweeting some famous birthday (e.g. yesterday Jack Johnson's "In Between Dreams" was 20 Venus years old, and Danza Kuduro was 60,000 hours old. Today it's Pele's 28000th day. It's difficult to see though what style of post gets most engagement from the Twittersphere... the metrics seem to vary wildly and not related to whether I use hashtags, add media, etc. so I'm still experimenting.

Goal #2: sleep 07:30 per day: 100% so far!

Goal #3: mindless internet: not so good here - half of days I just abandon this goal completely.

Goal #4: 0.6 sporty things per day: on Monday I ran/walked to the city centre and back to get a book I want for the Engineering course. I would have ran more but didn't fancy hanging around in a bookstore as a big sweaty mess. I'm thinking of making a running tour of Edinburgh one day to see the sites while getting some exercise (thanks @Talvi for that idea ages ago). on Tuesday, the weather was 10/10 so I went to the nearby park to practise handstands, and found the rose garden was open with some great-quality lawns, so I played with different types of hand-balancing and some rolls. It was nice :) Then I walked back home without shoes because why not.

Goal #5: 0.6 social things per day: my AirBnB host had a board games afternoon on Sunday so I joined for that, and yesterday I went to the bachata classes. Still ahead-of-schedule here!

Goal #6: eat healthily: all going well here, even if cereals and milk comprise too much of my diet haha. I really like kiwi fruit and think they're under-rated for all-round taste and practicality. I finished my week of being vegetarian and didn't notice much difference except that it makes choosing from menus much easier when there are only 4 choices and one is only soup. And it's cheaper. For protein I was using cottage cheese, eggs, nuts and relying on the random extra protein from bread etc. I'm not doing to stick with it, because I like it and it's a convenient source of protein when I'm doing heavy stuff, but I do think we often eat more meat than ideal just because it's the default option if you don't self-define as a vegetarian. On Tuesday I had some great chicken noodles at the local Filipino restaurant :)

Goal #7: productivity: still on 0 points here, but working on a few options and probably get about 100 bonus points.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, SymphonicDan said:

The issue for me is that there is value in random browsing of the internet (indeed that's how I've discovered plenty of cool things in the past) even just for keeping up with friends on Facebook etc., but if left unsupervised (ha) I can end up wasting so much time that way. My brain does occasionally need a break to do easy things, but refreshing the same few sites  or seeking irrelevant information is neither useful or rejuvenating.

You're not the only one. ;) No judgement whether it's "right or wrong", but it's definitely worth thinking about, for many of us.

the metrics seem to vary wildly and not related to whether I use hashtags, add media, etc. so I'm still experimenting.

I suspect you just don't have enough data yet, it's still very new. With twitter timing must be a huge factor as well! From what I've read pictures and videos >>>>> only text.

Nice work on the challenge overall, you seem to have found a nice groove. :) 

3 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Then I walked back home without shoes because why not.

I am so glad to know I am not the only one who likes doing this.  Mi Vieja won't even walk in the house barefoot (she needs her slippers) and she is convinced I am some kind of weirdo because I walk around outside without shoes for no reason.

5 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

The issue for me is that there is value in random browsing of the internet (indeed that's how I've discovered plenty of cool things in the past)

I have the same problem. Random browsing has payed in many ways for my "lost time" (like when I found NF), and so it makes it more difficult to quit.

5 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Then I walked back home without shoes because why not.

I wonder how can you do this. I go barefoot during summer at home, but I find it very painful to walk barefoot outside the house. Everything seems to hurt my feet. You don't have that problem?

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I suspect you just don't have enough data yet, it's still very new. With twitter timing must be a huge factor as well! From what I've read pictures and videos >>>>> only text.

It seems that pictures/videos make no difference to the number of people who are exposed to the tweet, but it does make a big difference to the proportion of people who interact with the tweet (e.g. clicking links, visiting profile). The value of the tweet is essentially proportional to [number of people who see it] x [proportion of people who interact with it], so adding media like you say would be a crucial ingredient.

If a celebrity whose alternative birthday or whatever I tweet retweets what I say then that could be huge bonus :P Usain Bolt failed me on Monday, and I didn't have much hope for Elvis haha, but maybe I'll get a significant retweet at some point to see how that affects exposure.

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I am so glad to know I am not the only one who likes doing this.  Mi Vieja won't even walk in the house barefoot (she needs her slippers) and she is convinced I am some kind of weirdo because I walk around outside without shoes for no reason.

Move her slippers to another room and maroon her on the couch forever.

2 minutes ago, zenLara said:

I wonder how can you do this. I go barefoot during summer at home, but I find it very painful to walk barefoot outside the house. Everything seems to hurt my feet. You don't have that problem?

It depends where I am :P On these paths it was smooth tarmac or concrete with hardly any stones. On rougher ground I find it difficult. In Guatemala I went with someone from my hostel down a canyon and she kept having to wait for me because I was so slow on the stones! And then later that day we were at some thermal springs and I climbed up the rocks to this place where there was mud that is good for your skin. Except that I had to walk barefoot along this countryside path to get there. The locals seemed fine with it but for me I had to walk super carefully, like I was trying to break into a seismograph factory. Anyway, at the mud place this random Guatemalan guy wanted to show me the "cold river" so I followed him along what turned out to be an even longer path complete with thorns and rocky descents... that was so painful for my feet, I thought I'd have to maroon myself there. And the guy was actually trying to pick me up so I had to explain to him tactfully in Spanish that I really wasn't into guys.

One of the girls working with me as a guide was pretty hardcore with barefoot everything (and lent me a book about it - "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen Christopher McDougall, which I recommend despite it being slightly exaggerated) and sometimes did parts of the hikes barefoot. One day she forgot her thicker-soled boots on Cerro Negro when taking a group Volcano Boarding so she walked down the 600-metre, 42-degree, sunlit black slope of volcanic stones barefoot, while carrying all the equipment. [Video of me running down the same slope to see the terrain]. We usually used really old beaten-up second-hand shoes because they get so damaged. But because she's hardcore she was fine. And did it again. Then one of the other guides was only wearing crocs (why?!) and couldn't run down the slope because the shoes would fill with little stones. So he had heard that Francesca had gone barefoot and tried it, but his feet got super sore :(

So I guess the moral is that you can toughen your feet with practice, and otherwise stick to comfortable surfaces if you're without shoes.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, SymphonicDan said:

Usain Bolt failed me on Monday

Jerk. :P 

3 minutes ago, SymphonicDan said:

So I guess the moral is that you can toughen your feet with practice, and otherwise stick to comfortable surfaces if you're without shoes.

Absolutely. The more you do it the thicker callouses you build up, and you also develop a certain sensitivity and muscular control in your feet that allows you to "wrap" your feet around the objects as you walk instead of stomping on top of them. But as with anything, if you're not used to it then you have to take it slowly. Start on grass and sand, or soft paths in the wood (though if you live in an area with coniferous trees beware, the cones can be nasty!), try to walk softly (for more control and as it forces you to pay more attention to your movement) and avoid concrete and gravel. 

Personally I really love barefoot walking! It just feels amazing on my feet, it's like a free massage and foot workout in one. But more importantly it's a way of connecting with my senses in a whole different way! I love discovering and walking on different textures, which is probably a sign that my feet get completely starved off movement when they're either boxed in shoes or have to experience the same flat floor textures all the time.

2 people like this

On these paths it was smooth tarmac or concrete with hardly any stones

50 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

The more you do it the thicker callouses you build up

I definitely have butter feet.

Still having mixed success with this challenge... the format is slightly stressful and I wonder whether I'd work better with a challenge that doesn't force me to try to do everything all the time... On Wednesday I had pretty much the lamest day ever for no reason, and spent the whole day just doing nothing. 16 hours of scavenging half-heartedly for food, refreshing the same internet pages, looking at my to-do list deciding which item I was going to procrastinate first...

Maybe I was just tired (but I'd slept well!) or low on sugar (I went out and bought a load of sugary things and my body seemed good with that) or dehydrated (I felt dry so I kept drinking lots throughout the day)? Does anyone have any recommendations for damage-limitation when like this? My current behaviour is just to convince myself that I'll do something useful soon, and then procrastinate repeatedly... I'm usually good with just getting on with stuff and not procrastinating...

Goal #1: get work done: slightly behind schedule but generally going well! I've mainly been working on the Engineering course, which is coming together (ish). I now know how petrol engines work (some guy called Otto sits inside doing all the work), how to determine how a plank of wood deflects when you put weights on it (quartic polynomials!) and how barometers work (magic, mainly).

Goal #2: sleep 7h30/day: yep - this is the only goal I have 100% for. Although I need to start sleeping earlier. For the course I'll be waking up at about 8am, and at the moment I'm sleeping at about 3am...

Goal #3: mindless internet: watched some of the European Athletics Championships today because remembering that it was definitely mindless internet /fail :( The games were good though - it's always inspiring to see people pushing themselves physically. They put so much work and effort in, sometimes for just a couple of minutes of peak performance.

Goal #4: sporty things: did handstands in the rose garden again yesterday... was nice and the handstands were kinda good, but it's amazing/frustrating how much difference a tiny change in incline can be. The lawn looked flat but if I faced north the handstands were fine (maybe 1 degree uphill) and facing south I'd just cartwheel over almost every time. And my glutes started feeling sad somehow, so I stopped to give them a rest.

It doesn't count, but in a medium-sized city like Edinburgh, that's not too hot, I like to get around by running. If you stop when you feel tired or getting close to breaking a sweat, it doesn't take much effort, but it's quicker and you get some exercise for... well a negative time expenditure. Obviously it's less practical if you're wearing fancy shoes or carrying lots of stuff. Or walking with people who are like "FFS come back here Daniel! What's the rush?!"

Goal #5: social things: ceilidh again yesterday, and brunch tomorrow with a couple of friends. I'll go to the Latin dance night on Tuesday, and then I'm just missing one event to achieve the target of 9 in 15 days.

Goal #6: healthy eating: I went to MacDonalds on Thursday, which presumably means I fail at healthy eating for the entire month. Otherwise I've been eating pretty well... lots of peppers, grapefruit and eggs. Not all together. And I bought a mango but need to figure out how to eat it. They serve it with lime and salt in Guatemala, and in Thailand they serve it with "sticky rice".

Goal #7: be productive: hoping to finish the Engineering course, and might have time to finish fixing my website on mobile. I've hit 25 push-ups and still hoping to get 30 before Wednesday when I leave Edinburgh.

2 people like this

23 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

looking at my to-do list deciding which item I was going to procrastinate first

Oooh, been there :D 

Well, I think there are days when it doesn't matter what you do (hydration, glucose level, sleeping...) you still won't have the energy or the willpower or whatever to do anything. I guess the best -at least for me- is to accept it will be like that for a couple of days and allow myself to do nothing. Otherwise, guilt and self-criticism appear, and that day/couple of days can easily became a whole week, and then there is too much to rebuild.

Another thing that works for me is taking things "by surprise". I may have been procrastinating something for a while or just not doing what I want to do, and suddenly one taks comes to my mind in a strange moment, like I am about to cook something or arriving home or brushing my teeth and I just start doing the task without giving my brain time enough to start complaining.

Or maybe it is that your challenge was quite a challenge...

23 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

And I bought a mango but need to figure out how to eat it.

Have you tried peeling it, putting a bit on your mouth and chewing it? :P

I find it delicious in a coconut milk shake, with some banana for consistency. Also like it in salads: lettuce, avocado, almonds and what we call here "queso fresco" or "queso blanco". Mustard and lemon dressing. Yummy!