• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

KimShea

Just jump in...

Brand new here, and trying to learn about weight training.  Decided I'd jump in mid-challenge as I don't want to wait a few weeks to do this.

Here we go:

Diet

- Eat a fruit or vegetable with every meal every day - 1pt per day

- replace one processed snack each day with a healthy protein, fruit or veg - 1pt per day

Fitness

- Complete NF bodyweight workout at least 1x a week - 1 pts per workout

- Continue with 30 day plank challenge - 1pt per challenge day

Level up your life

- Make bed - 1pt per day

- Clean kitchen for 5 mins each day - 1pt per day

Wish me luck!

• Like 5

Welcome aboard! I don't know why it never occurred to me to join a challenge part way through, even though it is totally fine to do so - so many missed opportunities. Good luck in the days ahead! :D

• Like 2

Love your goals! I think I'll take a page out of your book and jump in myself, even though we're already like halfway through this challenge. Whatever. 

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I'm horrible about staying on top of things on the weekend.  I think I did pretty well, but no points for me, as I'm not really sure what I did/didn't do. 

Diet

- Eat a fruit or vegetable with every meal every day - 1pt per day

Monday - failed.  I did ok at lunch, but not breakfast or dinner. 

- replace one processed snack each day with a healthy protein, fruit or veg - 1pt per day

I'm finding this one difficult to track.  I don't have routine snacks per se, just when/if feeling the urge.  So not sure? 

Fitness

- Complete NF bodyweight workout at least 1x a week - 1 pts per workout

Completed!  Also, went to new gym for orientation and did a weensy treadmill walk for like 10 minutes.  1 point!

- Continue with 30 day plank challenge - 1pt per challenge day

Completed - 5 planks 35 seconds each 45 seconds rest between.  Noticeable difference from first of month.  1 point!

Level up your life

- Make bed - 1pt per day

Made bed.  Yay!  1 Point!

- Clean kitchen for 5 mins each day - 1pt per day

Nope.  Loaded dishwasher at least. 

3 points for day,

6 points total.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Rebellion! 

For the snacking goal, I can think of a few different options: don't count it on days it's not applicable; change it to something else, like drinking an extra glass of water every day; or maybe just tracking when you're snacking and what you're having. When you get a better idea of the circumstances, you can switch it up. Like "I always get snacky at work if I haven't had a decent lunch, so I'll eat a decent lunch every day and/or swap the chips for an apple" or something. 

• Like 1

Update time.

Starting as of Monday night: 6 points.  Sad.

Fruits/Veggies:

Tuesday: Ate all the fruits/veg! 1 point.

Wednesday: Success again! 1 point.

Healthy Snacks:

??????  Need to change this to something different.

Planks:

Tuesday: 8 sets side planks, 35 seconds per side.  1 point.

Wednesday: 6 sets planks, 40 seconds. 1 point.

NF Bodyweight workout:

Tuesday: Rest day - no points.

Wednesday: 2 circuits.  I'm so so so sore.  1 point!

Make Bed:

Tuesday: Success! - 1 point.

Wednesday: Success! - 1 point.

Clean Kitchen:

no points.  Kitchen looks like a tornado went through and decided to make chili and didn't clean up after itself.

So, Monday night had 6 points.

Adding 7 points, for new total 13.  Yay!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KimShea said:

So, Monday night had 6 points.

Adding 7 points, for new total 13.  Yay!

Haha! Improvement! :D Great job, now just need to keep it up. ;)

• Like 1

Thursday Update:

Fruit Veg: Success.  1 point.

Healthy Snacks: giving up on this one.  I'll change it next time.

Planks: Rest Day.

NF Bodyweight: Rest day.  WTH?  I spent time looking up things online like what's Stronglifts 5x5

Make Bed: Failed.  Running late in the AM, and seemed pointless to do it in the evening.

Kitchen: Failed.  Husband did it though, so it looks better at least!

Sad sad day.  1 point.

Total points: 14

Pretty well, I think, but I lost track!  I think the format was a bit difficult, and I'm like a kid in a candy shop, and keep changing what I'm doing. 

Generally speaking,

I did a good job including veggies and/or fruits with every meal, but not perfect.

I was never able to figure out if I was replacing a bad snack with a good one, as I just don't have "regular" snacks.  Generally I tried to make the snacks I did have healthier and/or smaller portions.

In the middle of the 2nd week I stopped the NF Bodyweight routine and started going to the gym and swapped it out for a weight training routine instead.  I've done really well on the workouts of both, and haven't missed a workout day yet, which is sort of different for me.  Usually I get all "meh, don't feel it today" after a week or so and give up.  But have stuck with a MWF workout routine without missing any since the first week of May. 

Same with the plank challenge.  I've yet to miss a day of the 30 day plank challenge I'm doing.  There are built in rest days.  At first about two a week, but now only one.  The planks have gotten progressively harder, and I've graduated from only being able to do a 20 second plank, to a two minute plank last test day.  Last night I had to try alternating hand planks, and those KILLED me!  So feeling really good about the workouts.  Wish I was seeing a physical difference though, but so far, I can't see any change, and no real weight change at all.

Making the bed - I've missed a couple days, but have gotten this most of the time.  I spent last weekend cleaning my room.  Which you wouldn't think would be that big a deal for a grown-ass woman, but let me tell you, I haven't been able to see the whole floor at one time in years! So now my room looks presentable and I really don't want a messy unmade bed.  So this is going great!

Cleaning the kitchen - nope.  I do the basics and the dishes get washed, but this needs to be something I keep working on.

I'm not sure if I'll do the next challenge or not, as again, the platform seemed more difficult for me to keep up.  I did start a little workout journal and that is going great.  I write down my workout bullet journal style, and then cross off the items as they're done.  Then I go to the next page and write what I'm doing the next day for my workout.  The planning it a day in advance really seems to be helping me to stay on task.  I've been doing a dumbbell routine and trying to up the weight to be able to lift the bar, and then would like to change to a barbell routine, maybe Stronglifts, at that time.  It's going to take a bit to get the weight higher though.

I started posting in the daily battle logs though, and that may work a little better for me.  Plus I'm only really tracking my workouts and a little bit of food there, as opposed to other items also.  Maybe I just had too many I was trying to do?

• Like 2

Congrats on your progress! Are you measuring anything beyond your weight? Are your clothes fitting differently? There are a bunch of other ways to track. I mean, I know we all want to see the difference in ourselves, but you see yourself every day so the small changes won't be as obvious to you as someone else. 

If you're finding a system that works and it doesn't involve challenges, that's fine. We'll like you anyway. ;) It took me more than 2 years to realize I was terrible at tracking goals via a thread but if I put them in a spreadsheet to check off every day it would be easy. So now I link to a google sheet in my first post and will update periodically since other people probably don't check it. I even update it from my phone. Maybe something like that would help?

• Like 2

Probably too late, but regarding the snacking challenge, since it was "replace an unhealthy snack with a healthy protein/veg/fruit" why not just track when you eat a healthy protein/veg/fruit for a snack? Or do you already eat healthy snacks as well as not-so-healthy ones? (If you eat both, it doesn't really work, but if you were only eating unhealthy, than anytime you could say "I had an apple today for a snack" or "I ate jerky today for a snack" you would know, one snack replaced.) 

It sounds like you made great progress overall! It's really exciting when you get to that point of exercising regularly without falling off the bandwagon, so seriously, congratulations on that! 

I often get overwhelmed with so many different goals going on in the 4WC, so I feel ya on that. If the Battle Logs or your bullet journal work better for you, use those instead! I think that's perfectly reasonable. Just like we're always told not to force ourselves to do an exercise routine we don't enjoy, I wouldn't recommend a tracking style you have to force yourself to use. I say do what works and leave it at that. 

• Like 1