Hi! I am new, I am a nerd, and I need to lose a ton of weight and get into shape! I want to fit into more clothes and I want to be able to run around with my (so far yet-to-be-created) kids and match their energy levels.

I am interested in routines or programs or skillsets that will put me in the fantasy bad ass mindset. For instance, I am super interested by shovelglove. People even post shovelglove scenarios on YouTube so that your routine is sort of like RPing! Also, the thought of me being a hammer wielding badass battle babe is really enticing. I'm also interested in doing archery but that requires a lot of money to get into so for now, it's a faraway dream. Oh and I'm super into the idea of dance, especially things like hula, bellydance, bhangra, Bollywood, o'tea, etc. 

If anyone has any suggestions about other cool types of exercise that will make me feel like I'm training right along with my favorite high fantasy characters, then please let me know!

• Like 2

There are shovelglove scenarios on youtube?! You can't just say that without posting links.:) On the NF blog there are several routines that use RP. Also Darebee. com has some cool workouts.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

So cool! When I did shovelglove, I would often just make up the scenarios in my head.  A long time ago someone wrote  up a scenario on NF and posted it. I can't remember who. You might find it if you  search the archives.  

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

1 hour ago, Estral said:

Yeah I'm scrolling through the archives right now! I'm surprised shovelglove isn't more of a thing around here!

It's sort of one of those things that comes in waves. One person gets into it, and then others join, but then we move unto something else. I really like it. I didn't stick with it long term, because I find I work better if my workouts have progressions, so I have something to work toward. But, I'm doing that workout this week.

35 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Shovelglove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna save a step and say welcome to the Rangers right now.

Have you already started shugging? I found that adding some kettlebells swings and/or squats was a perfect combination.

Do you think I'm a ranger? I thought it was really difficult to choose a class. I want to be super strong, but also a dancer, but also really useful. Like a wicked woodswoman fairy valkyrie because that's a thing. 

I actually got out our sledgehammer today and tried it out, and it was exceptionally difficult. I weighed it and it's 8.3kg/18.3lbs, so... that's why. I have no muscle at the moment. Tomorrow I'm going to go get a lighter one and start it up! I've never touched a kettlebell, and I wouldn't mind it except I think they're kind of expensive, right? They have them at the gym I'm technically still a member of, but I've never had the nerve to go near them. I have no idea how to use them properly. 

And, I'm actually in the midst of a squat challenge for May right now! It starts with 20 and ramps up to 100 by about the 18th and then fluctuates between 60 and 100 for the rest of the month. Today I did 45!

• Like 1

You Shovelglove and body weight, you want to do Archery and Dance? You used the term "woodswomen fairy Valkyrie". You've totally got the Ranger thing going on. You might also check out the assassins though. I'm pretty sire you'll feel right at home in either one.

8kg is a heavy sledge. It's much heavier than what I started at. I believe most women start at 4kg/8lbs.

Good kettlebells aren't cheap. The shipping kills you too. Honestly shovelglove is enough of a workout as it is.

45 squats is awesome. Let us know if you get a challenge thread or a battle log going.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

1 hour ago, juliebarkley said:

I just want to say that I have never heard of shovelglove, but it looks awesome and now I want to try it. I feel the same way about parkour (also not tried) - it also has that badass fantasy adventure feel, but on the dexterity end of things. Maybe another thing to play with down the line?

I've only done it for two days but I'm super into it! Parkour terrifies me, and I don't think I could do anything like that until I was significantly lighter. 

I don't think parkour has to be super hard. I know when I saw videos of people doing crazy things, I thought nope, I'm not an aspiring stunt double, not for me. But learning to jump onto a high surface, or hang from a wall? I could go for that. In my head, it's seeing the world as a 3D place to move about in - like a cat does.